Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

Mark M.

6 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Assuming it is AHS, they probably should have chosen to use it a couple years back. Even though it's still one of FX's best shows (ratings) and worth watching, it's popularity has lost some steam. Looking at the numbers, I think that they get a lot of people to watch the premieres because a. they advertise the show relentlessly going into it,  b. people wanted to see Lady Gaga (last season), and c. they take place in October which is obviously a time when people go out of their way to see spooky tv. Last season was the worst overall season yet and the viewership pretty much reflects it. At the premiere they had a solid 5.81 million viewers, but during the finale only 2.24 million were watching. Now I suppose there are other factors that could have contributed to this, for instance, maybe there was another show or sporting event taking place that pulled the viewers over. However, no matter how you look at it, it's not good at all. From the little I read about what's taking place this season, I'm not too overly excited about this season's prospects either (children and an opera singer). I know I'll end up watching it though (especially in October), since there really isn't anything similar to it on tv that I'm aware of.

Apparently they did want it and actually had it down for 23, if everything I've heard is correct. Evil Dead replaced it I believe. If I recall, Ryan Murphy or FX (either one) was pissed at Marketing for TWD taking all the main IP advertising (Which is fair...somewhat. Especially for that year.).

That's what I remember from the rumor season that year. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

• Like 1

Just a thought but what if AHS is revealed when they do the reveal for season 6 and the two are somehow connected? Like, the show features a haunted house attraction as a facade for some more sinister purpose and we get to walk thru that house, directly connecting the show and the event together? 

This has been a REALLY well kept upcoming season. No actors are letting anything slip other than saying this season is going to be very different. The social media accounts have switched to a funky 6 and ? hybrid symbol so a reveal is coming soon for the show at least. Seems like a great time to reveal the house (if we are getting one) at the same time regardless of if they are directly connected to the upcoming season.

5 hours ago, N i c k said:

I think AHS could certainly be an interesting house, but I really think they are doing it a year or two late.

To be fair, if this actually comes to fruition, it's supposedly not their fault they haven't done it yet. I agree it would've made a much stronger impact 2 years ago, but it's still a big enough name to be plenty popular. Especially if they make it as excellent as it can be and word of mouth spreads, like AWiL 2013.

3 minutes ago, foREVer56 said:

To be fair, if this actually comes to fruition, it's supposedly not their fault they haven't done it yet. I agree it would've made a much stronger impact 2 years ago, but it's still a big enough name to be plenty popular. Especially if they make it as excellent as it can be and word of mouth spreads, like AWiL 2013.

They really wanted to do AWiL though. It is a cult classic and one of the best werewolf movies ever made (possibly the best). They even brought John Landis in to help out. I'd find it hard to believe that the same level of excitement would be present while recreating AHS (just my opinion). Why would they even bother with it now when it is tanking, especially after the fallout of sorts a couple years back? It just seems like an odd time to bring it on. I don't know how the dealing works behind the scenes to get whatever rights to the movies/shows they use, but I hope Universal got a good deal if they are using AHS. 

The thing with AHS is the fact that viewers return every year to see the premier. It's getting them to stick around that is the issue. However, not every type of horror/theme is going to be something that interests everybody. There is always a fairly big amount of hype leading up to a new season theme reveal (as evident by the number of articles posted yesterday when the social media changed) and then even more hype leading up to premier night. 

I feel like if they can nail this theme and keep it more focused and not let the story get out of hand, this season can really draw in the viewers. It's when the theme is not working (Freakshow) that the viewer ship really declines. From what little has been said about season 6, it seems like they are really trying to focus on keeping the story focused and easier to follow. When they start tossing in crazy characters out of nowhere and weird backstories that things start to decline. Also, if they include elements from the new season (or somehow connect the two like I mentioned above), that will help increase viewership of the show.

Honestly, if I was on the team working on HHN, I would LOVE to work with AHS. Unlike TWD they have been forced to work with, AHS gives them a TON (literally) of content to have fun with. Each of the past 5 seasons are set in totally different locations with totally different types of horror elements. Being able to recreate rooms from Murder House or that huge hotel lobby from Hotel would be amazing. I also feel like Ryan Murphy and crew would be willing to work with the HHN team to make it a standout house. They have something to prove in terms of taking the spotlight away from TWD so hopefully they are not stuck with it again next year. I'm sure the team is SICK of working with TWD and its stale locations, so bringing in a new property that least changes EVERYTHING each season would be a huge blessing to work with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badge said:

Honestly, if I was on the team working on HHN, I would LOVE to work with AHS. Unlike TWD they have been forced to work with, AHS gives them a TON (literally) of content to have fun with. Each of the past 5 seasons are set in totally different locations with totally different types of horror elements. Being able to recreate rooms from Murder House or that huge hotel lobby from Hotel would be amazing. I also feel like Ryan Murphy and crew would be willing to work with the HHN team to make it a standout house. They have something to prove in terms of taking the spotlight away from TWD so hopefully they are not stuck with it again next year. I'm sure the team is SICK of working with TWD and its stale locations, so bringing in a new property that least changes EVERYTHING each season would be a huge blessing to work with. 

Murphy's reluctance to fullly cooperate is rumored to be one of the reasons this hasn't happened yet. I would have loved it if AHS reached the popularity of TWD and we got that every year instead, as it would lead to completely different houses every year.   

5 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

They really wanted to do AWiL though. It is a cult classic and one of the best werewolf movies ever made (possibly the best). They even brought John Landis in to help out. I'd find it hard to believe that the same level of excitement would be present while recreating AHS (just my opinion). Why would they even bother with it now when it is tanking, especially after the fallout of sorts a couple years back? It just seems like an odd time to bring it on. I don't know how the dealing works behind the scenes to get whatever rights to the movies/shows they use, but I hope Universal got a good deal if they are using AHS. 

I agree. However, there's just SO much to work with and a plethora of elaborate sets and characters to re create, way more than TWD or AWiL or most other IPs they've used. There's just a huge amount of potential that I see little possibility of the house not being well received.

All that being said, this is the only house this year I'm not at least 90% sold on, at this point. Yes, plenty of people believe it to be happening, but there's plenty who remain skeptical. This year is obviously being handled much differently as far as rumors and leaks go. I would not hold any rumors as fact until they are officially announced. This goes for anything during any year, but especially this year. Exorcist, TCM, and TWD are happening. I believe "The Return" is definitely happening, "The Expected" is likely, and the 2 originals are pretty much known at this point. "Shall Not Be Named"is completely up in the air at this point. Should be interesting to find out what this ends up being. 

15 hours ago, Badge said:

The thing with AHS is the fact that viewers return every year to see the premier. It's getting them to stick around that is the issue. However, not every type of horror/theme is going to be something that interests everybody. There is always a fairly big amount of hype leading up to a new season theme reveal (as evident by the number of articles posted yesterday when the social media changed) and then even more hype leading up to premier night. 

I feel like if they can nail this theme and keep it more focused and not let the story get out of hand, this season can really draw in the viewers. It's when the theme is not working (Freakshow) that the viewer ship really declines. From what little has been said about season 6, it seems like they are really trying to focus on keeping the story focused and easier to follow. When they start tossing in crazy characters out of nowhere and weird backstories that things start to decline. Also, if they include elements from the new season (or somehow connect the two like I mentioned above), that will help increase viewership of the show.

These are excellent points.  I've said from the beginning that not every season of AHS will appeal to every horror fan.  I, on the other hand, must be an anomaly because I have enjoyed this show every year.  Maybe it's because there aren't THAT many decent horror based shows on - though I did love Penny Dreadful (rip), and I adore Bates Motel - so, I watch it every season, all season because I'm a horror freak.  I enjoyed Hotel - and I thought Lady Gaga was great in it.  

Anyway, the main point is - it's a different story every season, as you said.  Which means, the house potential at HHN is so much greater than the god-forsaken Walking Dead.  Thank god and everything holy that AHS has never done anything with zombies in it.  If I never see another zombie at HHN once this TWD obsession is over, I'd be the happiest person ever.  I agree that if we would've had multiple years of AHS, it would've been so much better because you'd almost forget it was based on a tv show and not just some really cool themes each year.  The various themes of AHS are an HHN goldmine.  I'd be selling souls for it if I were in A&D.

I really, really hope it's coming - and I hope it's the mega house.  

Any idea on when we might get another official update?  I'm starting to get impatient now.

Came across a reference to "shall not be named" within AHS.

Look, an on-time recap for American (Minus the Flyover States, New York or Any Part of California That’s Not Los Angeles) Horror Story! Honestly, I always look forward to Ryan Murphy’s AMFSNYAPCTNLAHS Halloween episodes, because they tend to be two-parters and the highlight of the season. First year was obviously the most imaginative, what with the ghosts being allowed to roam free outside, the introduction of Tate’s murdered schoolmates, Zachary Quinto in full queeny bitchiness, and Kate Mara going as “Zoe Barnes as a vengeful ghost” a couple years before we were introduced to television’s most problematic female journalist.Asylum’s Halloween episode hinted at a zombie apocalypse that never fully panned out, so they tried that again in the Coven season, which was…well, at least that time around it was entertaining instead of just confusing and depressing. Season 4–the season that shall not be named–intro’d Wes Bentley as “Guy With Another Head On The Back of His Head” whereas before we only knew him as “Guy Who Liked Watching Plastic Bags Float In the Wind While Staring Disconcertingly…Seriously, What Is That Dude Looking At?”

Welcome back, Wes!

And just for fun Imoteps sarcophagus was ingraved with he that shall not be named from the 99 movie .

50 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

Any idea on when we might get another official update?  I'm starting to get impatient now.

Would you believe me if I said some point between July 4th to I believe the 15th?

Would you also believe if I said it was John Murdy / Uni Hollywood's fault?:lol:

Permit update:

Permit 1 with no location: Issued as of 6/17. 

SS22: Issued as of 6/17 

B79: Issued as of 6/17

Tent 1: Issued issued as of 6/17

SS24B: Issued as of 6/17

SS24A: Issued as of 6/24

Shrek: Issued as of 6/24

Permit 2 no location: Pulled on 6/29

Best guesses house/permit using info from Mike in Twitter.  

Permit 1 no location: TCM - One of the first permits pulled, my guess is that it is for Tent 2. Mike has previously stated that they try to do the tents first due to the heat. Mike stated TCM is in Tent 2. 

Tent 1: Cobweb (original) - Mike has stated Tent 1 is Codename Cobweb. 

SS22: Exorcist - Process of elimination. SS22 is one of the smaller soundstages. Mike stated Exorcist is in a soundstage. 

SS24A&B: TWD and unnamed original. Mike stated TWD is sharing an SS with an unnamed original. This is the only soundstage with 2 houses. 

Parade, Shrek, Permit 2 no location, and new tent are a ? right now. 

Permit 2 is probably for the final SS house as the new tent is still not fully finished with fire and electrical installation, at least the permits haven't been finalized last I checked. 

Mike has stated there will be an uber/megahouse. This will most likely be in a soundstage. 

One more permit to go. 

Hopefully, this speculation can help narrow done the list of possible unannounced IPs. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

Would you believe me if I said some point between July 4th to I believe the 15th?

Would you also believe if I said it was John Murdy / Uni Hollywood's fault?:lol:

Or, in other words, another reason for me to hate The Walking Dead

2 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Or, in other words, another reason for me to hate The Walking Dead

Yep.

Also, I was mistaken. I meant 4th - 11th. Because they still need to hype TWD Attraction, but they have to announce whatever's in Hollywood's JP Queue before scenic, which at this point with recent developments , I'm pretty sure is a shared property.

With as much as I can say, I'm excited to see so little information being dropped this year (speculation wise - I'm ready for another announcement). It's always good to see little bits of information and not a complete, practically confirmed list. 

I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised by this year's IP choices. The Exorcist was a complete surprise for me, and I'm really happy with it.

Now I might be the minority here, but I didn't enjoy AWiL as much as everyone seems to have. Yes, the puppetry was amazing, but that's about as much as I enjoyed with it. When you have something based on IPs, you obviously want them to be true to their source. (i.e. Halloween) With an IP like AHS, yes there are a lot of options as far as the locations, eras, and characters, but what is it about AHS that people like? The story. That's why Freak Show dropped ratings some because there wasn't as juicy of a storyline like there had been in the previous seasons. I'm all about having options to work with, but the IPs that I want to walk through are the ones that not only bring familiar characters and scenes, but ones that tell the story of the IP itself.

I guess my whole point here is that the IPs that I know are coming will be fantastic, but similarly to some houses before (AWiL, Saw, TWD, AvP, etc.) I don't just want to see iconic scenes and characters. I want to be told a story, and I hope that comes across with the houses this year.

EDIT: Just got an email announcing audition dates for Chance.  (One minute monologue and improv needed) It could easily just mean Chance for her scare zone or house, but it kind of seems like a show audition (Bill and Ted auditions were in the notice as well...)

Edited by JAYXDUBS
  • Like 2

On 6/29/2016 at 0:45 PM, ForeverEvil1 said:

I would :)

• Like 1

Just now, ForeverEvil1 said:

Actually posted it on the Texas thread.

Ah OK. I have been incommunicado in the mountains for 9 days and then I was feverishly working on getting my final teaser out. So my mistake.

• Like 1