Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

Mark M.

I think the price increase was a must this year. If they are not going to be expanding back into IoA, and they are pretty much at the cap of 9 houses (might be able to find a home for 1 or 2 more down the line), they have to do something to drive people away as crazy as that sounds. 

Last year's express lines were getting out of hand as well. I'm sure a lot of people were complaining at guest services about the long lines for express guests. It seems the biggest increase, percentage wise, happened to express. I am happy that the express line will hopefully be shorter this year and hopefully some of the annoying teenagers won't be able to convince mom and dad to drop even more money for tickets this year. 

Personally, as a non-local spending $1150 for a hotel to be able to attend 8 nights of HHN, roughly $300 for airfare, taxi to/from the hotel, etc, the $200 difference is a drop in the bucket for the RoF + express. If I am spending $2000+ for this trip, I would be a fool to not spend a little more to make the most out of my time. It comes out to just about $37 a night for me. Well worth it when I think back to how much fun I had last year. Then I think back to 24 when I didn't have express and remember how much I hated standing in line for 60-90 minutes.

• Like 1

As one of HHN biggest critics for the last few years I must say I'm excited...

Yes I want a NEW icon but the backstory they gave her so far is actually perfect.. It has a mixture of Jill, Fate, Mary and even Cindy in it.

Basically I think A&D told marketing they need to do an icon cause everything so far screams A&D not marketing (Except TWD and TCM).

We are going to walk in her world, just like we did in 08 and I can't wait to see if they pull that off again tbh.

Lastly I have a feeling LT is coming back in full force this yr

With the reveal of Chance as well as the theme this year, I've gotta be honest with you guys: I feel.... kind of hopeful.

Let me explain. Usually these past couple of years I've been excited, however it was only a shallow form of excitement. Don't get me wrong. I fully enjoyed the event, but I always felt there could've been something more. When Jack was revealed last, I was excited because it would be the first time I got to see an actual icon in the flesh since my first time going in 2011 (If you count Lady Luck). With each announcement last year, I was excited, but at the same time, not really, truly. Since 2014 (maybe even by the end of 2013), I felt that the cohesiveness of the event, the theme of the event, the thing that made me interested, attracted to the event in 2011 and 2012, was dying off. That from 2014 on, it would nothing but an incohesive mish-mash of houses and scarezones, with no connecting overall theme. Back then, even if you didn't know how in the hell each house or scarezone was connected in detail, you could just feel from the atmosphere itself how A&D painstakingly made each thing cohesive, made each thing connect with each other. I thought that would be over. 

However with this announcement, it was faint, but I felt something I thought was almost lost for this event: hopefulness. 

Don't mix it up with excitement. With excitement you pump your fist, jump up and down, cry, whatever for a bit, then you stop and get over it. Now, I'm anticipating this event and the lineup I've been hearing so far. I'm eager to see everything from Chance to the scarezones to the houses. Also, I could give a crap on whether or not you like the new icon or the houses or scarezones that come with her. I, for one, like Chance, her backstory, and theme that comes with it. Besides, I've been lurking and posting here long enough to know that, unless you have a damn good eye for predicting, there is a possibility for the least anticipated house/SZ/etc. becoming one of the top favorites (Walking Dead's an exception: It is what you'll think it'll be).

Still, that's not even what I'm hopeful for. This announcement makes me hopeful for a year (as well as future years) that has a great cohesive, overall theme that we can feel through solely the atmosphere. I don't care if that theme is posted on the websites through games or whatever, because we all know that HHN website games and backstories are done. It doesn't even matter if there's an icon or not (although an icon does make a pretty great foundation for a cohesive theme). Halloween Horror Nights is a living, breathing event that changes with the generation and times (currently it's my generation). But I DON'T want the event to forget what breathes life into it with so much vitality. I want A&D to create the whole elaborate backstory and cohesive theme just for themselves, so it can be something they'll follow the year by. I'm beginning to be hopeful for that now. I'm starting to see that it'll happen slowly and slowly, but hopefully with this announcement of an icon and a theme, this could be a sign for a more cohesive and integrated Icon/IP/Original year in the future.

Just had to finally speak what I've been thinking for the past 5 pages. 

Edited by RockinSight
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, JAYXDUBS said:

Yeah, I know. That's what I mean, I'm sure most people on here that work are returning. Just checking to see if there's any other newbs going in.

Gotta newbie right here! I do have previous scaring experience though. I've just been waiting for years to have this opportunity.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RockinSight said:

With the reveal of Chance as well as the theme this year, I've gotta be honest with you guys: I feel.... kind of hopeful.

Let me explain. Usually these past couple of years I've been excited, however it was only a shallow form of excitement. Don't get me wrong. I fully enjoyed the event, but I always felt there could've been something more. When Jack was revealed last, I was excited because it would be the first time I got to see an actual icon in the flesh since my first time going in 2011 (If you count Lady Luck). With each announcement last year, I was excited, but at the same time, not really, truly. Since 2014 (maybe even by the end of 2013), I felt that the cohesiveness of the event, the theme of the event, the thing that made me interested, attracted to the event in 2011 and 2012, was dying off. That from 2014 on, it would nothing but an incohesive mish-mash of houses and scarezones, with no connecting overall theme. Back then, even if you didn't know how in the hell each house or scarezone was connected in detail, you could just feel from the atmosphere itself how A&D painstakingly made each thing cohesive, made each thing connect with each other. I thought that would be over. 

However with this announcement, it was faint, but I felt something I thought was almost lost for this event: hopefulness. 

Don't mix it up with excitement. With excitement you pump your fist, jump up and down, cry, whatever for a bit, then you stop and get over it. Now, I'm anticipating this event and the lineup I've been hearing so far. I'm eager to see everything from Chance to the scarezones to the houses. Also, I could give a crap on whether or not you like the new icon or the houses or scarezones that come with her. I, for one, like Chance, her backstory, and theme that comes with it. Besides, I've been lurking and posting here long enough to know that, unless you have a damn good eye for predicting, there is a possibility for the least anticipated house/SZ/etc. becoming one of the top favorites (Walking Dead's an exception: It is what you'll think it'll be).

Still, that's not even what I'm hopeful for. This announcement makes me hopeful for a year (as well as future years) that has a great cohesive, overall theme that we can feel through solely the atmosphere. I don't care if that theme is posted on the websites through games or whatever, because we all know that HHN website games and backstories are done. It doesn't even matter if there's an icon or not (although an icon does make a pretty great foundation for a cohesive theme). Halloween Horror Nights is a living, breathing event that changes with the generation and times (currently it's my generation). But I DON'T want the event to forget what breathes life into it with so much vitality. I want A&D to create the whole elaborate backstory and cohesive theme just for themselves, so it can be something they'll follow the year by. I'm beginning to be hopeful for that now. I'm starting to see that it'll happen slowly and slowly, but hopefully with this announcement of an icon and a theme, this could be a sign for a more cohesive and integrated Icon/IP/Original year in the future.

Just had to finally speak what I've been thinking for the past 5 pages. 

I feel the same way. As somebody who has followed the event for years online but not being able to finally attend until 24, my excited level was fairly low. Seeing the awesome build up for years and then it just all go away was a disappointment. I think the company as a whole, not just marketing, finally understands what made this event popular in the first place.

We lost all of it in 22. No icon, no scarezones, no overall theme to tie the event together. It didn't go over so well. 

In 23, they kinda brought back scarezones but the whole theme was a joke. Sure the streets were all TWD themed but the whole event didn't have a theme to tie it together. Again, no icon.

In 24, to much joy, scarezones returned in all their former glory. Sure, two of theme were IP based scarezones but at least they were back! The event felt more like it's former self and fans were loving it.

Then in 25, we got an Icon back! Plus MORE scarezones and none of them tied to an IP! They even gave us two "unofficial"/horde zones! Still, no overall theme to tie the whole event together but it was a huge step to getting the event back to it's roots and to what fans had been craving for years.

Now for 26, not only do we get a "new" Icon, but we get a backstory! We know what the theme is. Chance has lost it even more and we are walking around inside her head. Everything we see outside of her house is what she thinks up. Even more, there is a chance every house could have a hint of Chance inside of it. They can even slip in a random Jack-in-the-box into an IP house. Maybe she saw the exorcist as a child and it really effected her which is why, in her fragile mental state, the horrors of the IP have resurfaced. If the AHS: Freakhouse house happens, maybe they will spin it as Chance auditioned for a role but was concerned "to intense" for the show.

Everything can be connected again like it was many years ago and I am personally so excited to see what they do with the theme they have laid out. I feel like everybody that is involved with the project has learned their lesson and I doubt we will ever go back to a time where we don't have scarezones, Icons and a general overall theme. It seems like A&D just do better work when they can tie a story around it all, even if that story is not fully announced to the public.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JDW said:

yep that is what it is... But it sounds like they don't know there is a question mark on that.

It would almost be cliche if they used it because of our known icon. But I suppose it's appropriate.

On a side note, I'm going to go on a little rant here:

Chance, an A&D creation, is NOT a TV/Movie junkie to my knowledge. If the entire event is supposed to be dreams/thoughts in her head, why isn't she coming up with her own ORIGINAL twisted/disgusting thoughts to base the event around, instead of stuff that already exists? I get that half of it will be original, but if you're going with that storyline, the whole event should be original.

• Like 1

As much as I would love to see an AHS: Freak Show maze.... I can see the complaint dept gearing up for a shit storm once HHN starts. People complained about a black chick killing a white dude in the voodoo SZ a couple years ago. Can you imagine the faux-outrage when they "exploit" birth defects, amputees, women wiht beards, etc.?

HAven't they considered it in the past and the rights were kind of a nightmare? I doubt AHS is an announcement, and if we have a Freak Show/Carnivale style house this year it will likely be Chance's house (mixed with an asylum theme, so it will have lots of AHS-like elements)

By my count there are... um.... 6 seasons of AHS to base a house on. Who is to say Freak show is either the only one or even one of them. HHN Unofficial is clearly speculating and that pic is not official. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, timbo8 said:

well the bolg said tv shows so maybe ahs is coming hhn parks this year which will replace walking dead after this year but the other show i think we get is ash vs evil dead

Much to my chagrin, I think that's been officially ruled out by someone "in the know".

NOTHING would make me happier than them being wrong....