Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

Mark M.

9 hours ago, SeaBass said:

What's your guy's thoughts on the new TCM house based on the 1974 film?

4 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

There isn't much of a difference so I'm not sure how you can "base" it on one and not the other. The remake was better, too.

The 2003 remake was OK. IT is essentially a retread of the original with less purpose, more gore, and more Hollywood muddling. It trades real suspense for shock and gore. In it's effort to shock it feels pretty ho um. I will give this remake (this one not the 2013 remake) a pass though it has some memorable scene basically because R. Lee Ermey steals the show. But it essentially a ugly retelling of an already ugly (and good) movie.

Tobe Hooper's 1974 is a horror masterpiece. It is suspenseful and uses very little gore for shock. It relies on atmosphere, story, and set up. It's far more effective and comes off as a wholly disturbing experience. Gunner Hansen has yet to be replicated in his portrayal as Leather face. He was able to exude this child like innocence under layers of psychotic serial killer. For all it's rough ugly shock there still was some ineffable, macabre, beauty about it that I don't think will ever be replicated.

As a house... I'm unsure there will be THAT much difference from Flesh Wounds. Universal is pretty creative in their setups but houses are visual. You don't get the story as effectively as a movie. Then again it is a simple Haunted house. If you go through a haunted house for the story... eh I don't think a chainsaw house is you bag. It will have bodies, chainsaws, and memorable scenes. I can't imagine how that will be bad. From a nostalgic standpoint (or for anyone who has seen the movie) it will stand out and you will enjoy being in the movie. In case you hadn't notice, this is quickly becoming the cheap business model of HHN... but they are only copying Hollywood in the cash grab for your memories.

Overall I liked flesh wounds as a house. I will like the house based on the movie I really like all the better. There is no point in taking it further than that with an I.P. You know what to expect... In fact it is much better to see the movie it is based on first (I'm looking at you Dracula Untold) than to go in completely blind. But really who hasn't seen a TCM movie? You got the idea it isn't rocket science. It will be like any house with chainsaws plus add a nostalgic layer to that.

• Like 4

Overall I liked flesh wounds as a house. I will like the house based on the movie I really like all the better. There is no point in taking it further than that with an I.P. You know what to expect... In fact it is much better to see the movie it is based on first (I'm looking at you Dracula Untold) than to go in completely blind. But really who hasn't seen a TCM movie? You got the idea it isn't rocket science. It will be like any house with chainsaws plus add a nostalgic layer to that.

Good post overall! I'm curious if you mean you're looking forward to the new house or if you feel it is an unnecessary iteration of what we've already clearly seen?

On 4/15/2016 at 6:38 PM, JDW said:

The 2003 remake was OK. IT is essentially a retread of the original with less purpose, more gore, and more Hollywood muddling. It trades real suspense for shock and gore. In it's effort to shock it feels pretty ho um. I will give this remake (this one not the 2013 remake) a pass though it has some memorable scene basically because R. Lee Ermey steals the show. But it essentially a ugly retelling of an already ugly (and good) movie.

Tobe Hooper's 1974 is a horror masterpiece. It is suspenseful and uses very little gore for shock. It relies on atmosphere, story, and set up. It's far more effective and comes off as a wholly disturbing experience. Gunner Hansen has yet to be replicated in his portrayal as Leather face. He was able to exude this child like innocence under layers of psychotic serial killer. For all it's rough ugly shock there still was some ineffable, macabre, beauty about it that I don't think will ever be replicated.

As a house... I'm unsure there will be THAT much difference from Flesh Wounds. Universal is pretty creative in their setups but houses are visual. You don't get the story as effectively as a movie. Then again it is a simple Haunted house. If you go through a haunted house for the story... eh I don't think a chainsaw house is you bag. It will have bodies, chainsaws, and memorable scenes. I can't imagine how that will be bad. From a nostalgic standpoint (or for anyone who has seen the movie) it will stand out and you will enjoy being in the movie. In case you hadn't notice, this is quickly becoming the cheap business model of HHN... but they are only copying Hollywood in the cash grab for your memories.

Good post. I agree 100%..... and people will always bitch about the IPs. Around here that is just a fact. But this is a horror event. If we are given an IP this is an IP I want to see! I mean the original TCM? Leatherface? The dinner scene? That metal door slamming shit? These are classic scenes. This is horror. This is the shit we pay to see. TCM is a good choice.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, FRlSKY PLATYPUS said:

I think Mike just confirmed via Twitter that we are getting a repeat/redo of a previous house.

Grrrr.... very ominous. I don't want a repeat of anything unless it happened 10+ years ago. Whatever it is, it's an original.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

7 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Unless it's not.

Not what? A repeat? He said, the requel was an original.

Sequel = continuation

Prequel = preceding

Requel =  sure sounds a lot like a repeat 

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

4 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Not what? A repeat? He said, the requel was an original.

Sequel = continuation

Prequel = preceding

Requel =  sure sounds a lot like a repeat 

I missed him saying it was an original.

But I take nothing back...

The "of sorts" addition makes me think of something different. I honestly would love a "best of the best" type of house like 25 years last year but with totally different houses. They have done so many houses in the years past that they could keep creating a "repeat" house each year made up of a bunch of different rooms that worked really well from different houses. 

Of course, it could mean they are going to do a total repeat of an original house from 10+ years ago and the "of sorts" means that while the house theme/setting will be the same, they will update it to make the effects, costumes, sounds, etc better with all the years of experience they have since it first happened. 

ok so if its an original...maybe requel is pointing to it is going on the same time as the events of the house previously? Maybe just in a different area? Those are my first thoughts initially. Since it is not before or after technically according to mike! Has me intrigued his choice of wording.

One could argue, based on a made up word, that both houses announced so far are requels.  We already had a TCM house (I know, not based on the original), Leatherface probably showed up in some way shape or form in another house or scarezone, and the Exorcist has been at the event at least 4 times in some capacity.  The first TCM house was based on the remake/re-imagining of the house we're getting this year.  So a "requel" could be fit in perfectly there.

Or, it could be a Purge house.  I know some have speculated that there wouldn't be a Purge house this year, but if there were, it really wouldn't be a sequel as the first house wasn't based on either of the first two movies, it was just a "based on".

My hope though, is he's talking about Ash vs Evil Dead.  They had an Evil Dead house before, but like TCM, was based on a remake that didn't have Ash in it at all (well, post credits he popped up).

requel ‎(plural requels) A movie which revisits the subject matter of an earlier film but is not a remake or a linear continuation of its plot (i.e. a sequel or prequel).

I thinking/wishing somthing along the lines of Castle Vampyr 12 years later.............

19 minutes ago, traveller said:

requel ‎(plural requels) A movie which revisits the subject matter of an earlier film but is not a remake or a linear continuation of its plot (i.e. a sequel or prequel).

I thinking/wishing somthing along the lines of Castle Vampyr 12 years later.............

Good year... If what I've heard is correct.

• Like 1

So the "requel" is more than likely a repeat of an original concept that is being rebooted to current day standards. Hopefully it's something that is older that could really benefit from today's new standard of quality. 

Maybe it's Zombiegeddon? ;)