The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

King_K.

Probably the earliest we've started the thread, but with today's TCM announcement, here's your discussion thread for all official information about TCM!

Official press on today's new reveal:

MRKam2W.png

"ORLANDO, Fla. (April 14, 2016) – Flashes of a familiar facemask blur the line between reality and film. The roar of a chain saw inside a darkened, deteriorating farmhouse is deafening. You are being hunted. Moving past the rotting remains of other victims, you find your escape blocked by an immovable force. A force that has only one purpose – complete and total destruction.

This year, “The Texas Chain Saw Massacre” – one of the greatest horror films ever made – will come to life as an all-new maze at Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights 26.

You will walk through the iconic Texas farmhouse and experience Leatherface’s kills from the 1974 slasher film. You will desperately try to escape as the violent roar of his chain saw surrounds you. You will hear the cries – and see what remains – of Leatherface’s other victims. And you will come face-to-face with Leatherface himself.

The film follows a group of friends on a roadtrip to visit a family homestead. When they seek assistance at a house nearby, they become the prey of a cannibalistic family.

“The Texas Chain Saw Massacre” is the first in a horrifying list of mazes to be revealed at Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights 26. Additional details about the event will be revealed soon.

Halloween Horror Nights 26 will run select nights from September 16 to October 31. Guests can book a special vacation package that combines the spine-tingling chills of Halloween Horror Nights, with the daytime thrills of Universal Orlando’s two theme parks, and a stay at Universal Orlando Resort’s newest on-site hotel, Loews Sapphire Falls Resort. For more information and additional ticket offers, visit www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com/Orlando."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ldh5086 said:

I'm so excited for this! I think there's a Leatherface Pre-quel coming out this year.... I wonder if they'll tie that in with this

Leatherface is one scary dude. I'm a big fan of the movies and the majority of the sequels. My best guess is that they'll stick pretty straight to the 1974 film. With little nods to the sequels. Kinda like Halloween. If thats so I'm so hoping for the family dinner table with Matthew Mcconaughey, one of my favorite scenes from Next Generation.

I'm excited yet terrified at the same time. Will take a few adult drinks to get me into this one I feel.

Since we all know "real" chainsaws can only be used in outdoor locations and they lost the only house location left that could handle "real" chainsaws, do we think this is going into MIB queue? Seems like the sound of chainsaws would help with the noise leaking into the house from Bill and Ted. The "fake" chainsaws with the sound effects never really got to me and having a house full of those just doesn't seem like it would serve this IP justice. 

• Like 1

This house will be located within a Sprung Tent, according to Mike on Twitter. My guess is Sprung 2, with a Leatherface with the only real chainsaw in the house located outside the tent. Just like Darth Maul demon last year and Mike Myers the year before that. Also confirms this house will feature all fake saws, as you can't use actual ones in a closed environment for health reasons. That diminishes my excitement a little tbh, but I'm still excited to see it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, foREVer56 said:

My guess is Sprung 2, with a Leatherface with the only real chainsaw in the house located outside the tent. Just like Darth Maul demon last year and Mike Myers the year before that. 

Would also fit with the Sprung 2 Facade in recent years all being a "normal" house.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

Would also fit with the Sprung 2 Facade in recent years all being a "normal" house.

Would be hysterical if it also turns out to be the scariest house of the year according to the GP, AGAIN. (Although last year they were wrong:rolleyes:)

• Like 1

This grown-ass woman CRIED with joy over this announcement.  If I had the money and living space, I would decorate an entire room in my house as a tribute to Texas Chainsaw, bone furniture and all.  No live chicken, though.  Looks like I may have to try and book the UTH tour this year... See y'all there, BITCH HOGS!

8 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

I would be so disappointed and let down by Universal if they choose to use Fake chainsaws. Bragging about the real ones is one of my favorite aspects of HHN and even if they get the sound right, it just won't smell the same.

This... And unless they're taking the roof off a sprung they're going to be fake.

11 hours ago, foREVer56 said:

This house will be located within a Sprung Tent, according to Mike on Twitter. My guess is Sprung 2, with a Leatherface with the only real chainsaw in the house located outside the tent. Just like Darth Maul demon last year and Mike Myers the year before that. Also confirms this house will feature all fake saws, as you can't use actual ones in a closed environment for health reasons. That diminishes my excitement a little tbh, but I'm still excited to see it.

All good points.

This... And unless they're taking the roof off a sprung they're going to be fake.

They could pump the smell in.

2 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

They could pump the smell in.

That is what I was going to say. Also... Along with that, they could use a modified looking electric chainsaw so that it is actually operational. Just a possibility? But then again, I suppose the sound effect would still need to be faked since gas sounds significantly different from electric.

I wonder how close of a match this scent is...

http://www.froggysfog.com/2-oz-chainsaw-water-based-scent-additive-for-fog-haze-snow-bubble-juice-scents-4-gallons.html#.VxEAlNQrLZw

Maybe I should buy some for my house come October to get my haunt juices flowing.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 1

I'm not worried about fake chainsaws.  Much like I wasn't worried about fake machetes that Jason had, or fake knives on Freddy's gloves, or Michael's fake kitchen knife, or fake guns in Havoc, etc, etc, etc.  If conga lines, exit signs, and pushy flashlight ushers don't take me out of the moment, the chainsaws won't either :)  We're spoiled from them in the street, but that's also watching them lurk, sneak up on an unsuspecting person, and seeing them "attack" in a wide open space.  Here it will be a quick couple second glimpse in a confined space.  Plus, the fake sound will be overpowering anyway, not like it will make a difference.  And it will be DARK....with strobes...etc. 

Except for the weird instances where a chainsaw sound is revving and the scareactor is just standing there...or he's cutting into someone when the sound cue ends.  Usual stuff like that, but I don't think the authenticity of the chainsaws will be something you notice when being herded through dark rooms.

Edited by Oysterhead00
Fixed brainfart
  • Like 1

My only experience with a fake chainsaw was at Kings Dominion Halloween Haunt (very inferior, but they do make a good effort) so perhaps Universal is better at them. I also wonder if it would be possible to install filters in one or two rooms towards the edge of the tent, They could maybe even remove a few sections of the wall of the tent to let the fumes out since Texas Chainsaw is one of the brightest horror films I can think of and several scenes take place outside, it could be cool to have a few moments of blinding sunlit to disorient us. I also wonder if they could have the entrance to the tent be located where the exit normally is and have the traditional facade at the end where the line for insidious was. You could have leatherface chase you for a while out there in the sunlight mimicking the end of the film.

Can't remember exactly how the house exit looks, but would there be enough space to create a few "rooms" outdoors after you exit the tent? Think like the exit of 25 years last year but on a bigger scale. If not enough space at the exit, what about the entrance? I haven't ever been to a house that has sections outdoors so I am not sure how it works. Mike said they picked the tent for the confined spaces. That makes sense but the fake chainsaws are going to be annoying if not done perfect. Somebody mentioned how the fake weapons of Jason and Freddy didn't affect the house, and that's true because they still looked real. However, a fake chainsaw is much more obvious when you see real ones in the street all night long. They have a sound that is hard to mimic and a smell about them that they could pump in, but I don't know how that would work either. Plus, when the sound effect stops playing and the actor is still cutting into something, it totally ruins it. Those actors are going to have to really practice their timing if they use a sound effect. 

Plus, when the sound effect stops playing and the actor is still cutting into something, it totally ruins it. Those actors are going to have to really practice their timing if they use a sound effect

Idea is to get them to leave the scene while the sound plays and then they can cut it off/it turns off automatically after a few more seconds.

After watching an old video of HHN 13's All Nite Die In maze/house, I find it interesting that the way the classic horror/slasher IP mazes are being presented for the Orlando event is pretty much identical to the order in which they appeared in that maze.. starting with Halloween in 2014, then Freddy vs. Jason last year (even starting the maze off with Jason/Crystal Lake then transitioning to Freddy/1428 Elm Street like in 2003's maze), then Texas Chain Saw rounding it off this year.. I love little co-incidences like this whenever they occur at either Park/event :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, horror lover said:

After watching an old video of HHN 13's All Nite Die In maze/house, I find it interesting that the way the classic horror/slasher IP mazes are being presented for the Orlando event is pretty much identical to the order in which they appeared in that maze.. starting with Halloween in 2014, then Freddy vs. Jason last year (even starting the maze off with Jason/Crystal Lake then transitioning to Freddy/1428 Elm Street like in 2003's maze), then Texas Chain Saw rounding it off this year.. I love little co-incidences like this whenever they occur at either Park/event :D 

But don't expect Scream (first scene in the second Die-In in 2006) anytime soon!!!

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say that the facade will be the house from the movie, but what are some of the other iconic/memorable things you'd like to see throughout the house? I also read on Twitter that Mike said that this house would be their take on the 1974 film, so does that mean we'll see some original elements in the house? If so, what kind of stuff? 

6 hours ago, SoleSurvivor said:

I think it's safe to say that the facade will be the house from the movie, but what are some of the other iconic/memorable things you'd like to see throughout the house? I also read on Twitter that Mike said that this house would be their take on the 1974 film, so does that mean we'll see some original elements in the house? If so, what kind of stuff? 

In terms of iconic / memorable things:

• Hammer Kill
  • Meathook Scene
  • Freezer Scene
  • Franklin's Death (The Wheelchair Death)
  • The Dinner Party
  • The Trucks at the End (w/ Leatherface dance)

I believe based on "their take", they meant their take compared to Hollywood's version in 2012.

• Like 1

• Mark M. changed the title to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
  • Mark M. unpinned this topic