Anyone else getting a negative vibe about this year already?

I think we should all know what to expect out of the event.  Many of the things that we "miss" from past events are long gone and aren't coming back, but there are many enjoyable aspects that remain. I look forward to HHN each year despite the shortcomings and this year is no different to me.

2 minutes ago, N i c k said:

I think we should all know what to expect out of the event.  Many of the things that we "miss" from past events are long gone and aren't coming back, but there are many enjoyable aspects that remain. I look forward to HHN each year despite the shortcomings and this year is no different to me.

What makes you stay positive knowing some of the important elements are gone? Or, said differently, what gives you hope for this year?

Edited by criticalanalysis

I think it is largely about tempering expectations. There are plenty of other haunts that could possibly fill the void that the changing of HHN has left, but honestly, as I get older the nostalgia of attending HHN in the past mixed with my enjoyment of Universal Orlando in general is more than enough for me to enjoy myself no matter what HHN 26 becomes. Also, the hype video from 24 to 25 was interesting and gave us all more discussion, but I don't think it made any substantial difference on what the finished product of HHN 25 became.

Edited by N i c k
  • Like 2

Definitely agree with you there. Hell, I thought Monsters & Mayhem was grossly overrated!

Also, the hype video from 24 to 25 was interesting and gave us all more discussion, but I don't think it made any substantial difference on what the finished product of HHN 25 became 

Edited by criticalanalysis

Universal has experienced such incredible amounts of growth in a short period of time.  It has to slow down at some point.  Part of that change has been the shift to synergy between the coasts and the move toward IP.  And I think this will also slow down at some point.  Look, they have gone through THE top names in IP: Walking Dead, Freddy, Jason, Halloween, TCM, Chucky, and Alien.  We are getting down to the lesser known IP now, and unless they recycle the big names, the IP will necessarily fizzle, as there will be less IP that the majority of GP will recognize.

We know that Creative love their original houses, and the Anniversary house was loved by fans and GP alike.  When the dollars for the new rides start to dry up, so will the dollars for the wildly expensive IP contracts.  We may have to suffer through 5-7 more years of primarily IP, but I think the pendulum will once again shift to original design.

One thing I realize will never return is the wonderfully immersive website.  Sadly, advertisement has become limited to 160 character communication and the three-second attention span of today's youth.  I don't see that pendulum reaching its apex for a generation or more - or maybe never (i.e. Idiocracy)

But to answer the original question, I need to wait to see what they have on the roster first.  I really hope we get 4 originals, though

Edited by zombieman
  • Like 1

Since there have been no major real leaks this year, just a bunch of rumors that appear to be based on wishful thinking more than anything else, all we really know for sure so far are:

1. The dates of the Event. More dates than before and three night opening weekend. Plus a final night that will automatically be on all FFPs.

2. Located at Studios - IOA will not be used.

3. Some IP houses - some IPs are shared with Hollywood and some entirely original houses.

4. One original house has the code name "cobweb".

Has anything else been officially revealed so far? The rest is just speculation and rumor. Yes I know somebody said a "good source" told them 9 houses for sure this year, and this is probably correct but it has not been officially confirmed yet.

So with this rather very sketchy information, I don't see why there should be a "negative vibe" about the Event as we don't know enough really to have any vibe at all.

Also remember last year? We got all the info leaked early and it resulted in a negative vibe. But when the Event began most thought it was the best Event in years. Including most of whom had been so negative.

Critical analysis wasn't happy. But I don't think he ever will be until we get an event with no IPs and all original houses are all about serial killers or some other "real-world" non-fantasy horror.

• Like 12

In my opinion it took 7yrs to top 08 and that was 2015.. it wasnt as good as 08 but it was up there.

Saying that I'm not getting my hopes up high for this year at all.

As a HIGH member of A&D told me last yr, "We had to go big or go home" and it showed BIG time.. Now to see what holds for this yr.

Also the UO marketing train hasnt really started yet but it should be in full force soon.

I'm sure you already have a negative feeling about 27, 28, 29, and 30 too.  Probably already hate the King Kong ride and the new water park too.

When we literally know NOTHING about this year's event (hell, there are conflicting reports about if TWD is even in Orlando this year) any opinions you are forming about this year's event are solely made up in your head and express your pessimism about the event.  It's getting really old. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

I'm sure you already have a negative feeling about 27, 28, 29, and 30 too.  Probably already hate the King Kong ride and the new water park too.

When we literally know NOTHING about this year's event (hell, there are conflicting reports about if TWD is even in Orlando this year) any opinions you are forming about this year's event are solely made up in your head and express your pessimism about the event.  It's getting really old. 

Actually looking forward to Kong and the water park!

My hesitation is because Orlando already met up with Hollywood and the vibe was corporate is shoving (Hollywood's) IPs on us.

On 3/21/2016 at 3:23 PM, Dr. Jimmy said:

Since there have been no major real leaks this year, just a bunch of rumors that appear to be based on wishful thinking more than anything else, all we really know for sure so far are:

1. The dates of the Event. More dates than before and three night opening weekend. Plus a final night that will automatically be on all FFPs.

2. Located at Studios - IOA will not be used.

3. Some IP houses - some IPs are shared with Hollywood and some entirely original houses.

4. One original house has the code name "cobweb".

When did they official confirm that the event will be Studios only? I am still on the fence about them possibly trying out the two park concept again. With Kong opening up, HP allowed during HHN (including the train), and an updated version of Hulk, now is the perfect time to try it again because then Kong and Hulk can eat up some more people to possibly help with lines and they can use older house locations without having to attempt new locations this year. It always seemed like the biggest issue with the two park concept was large sections with nothing going on. That problem can be easily fixed now because the crowd levels are just insane compared to when they did the two parks in the past. The budget is a lot higher so they can put more zones in the parks to fill them up. I feel like its going to someday reach a point where they don't have an option and have to do both parks because crowds just keep getting bigger so it just a matter of when and this year, with two "new" things, seems like an ideal time. 

As far as the event goes this year, I am not worried. IP's are something that we will be stuck with forever at this point. As long as we get 3-5 original mazes each year, I consider it a win. As long as they don't try anything crazy (I don't consider 2 parks crazy) and stick with the formula that works, I think it will be fine. If they do something crazy like removing scarezones again, then I would be worried. I think they learned their lesson when it comes to scarezones though. I hope they follow the same concept as last year and give us "official" zones and keep doing "unofficial" zones like the prisoners near Transformers and the clowns near Simpsons we had in 25. 

We VERY rarely get a "sneak peak" at the end of the current year like we got at the end of 24. I think we only got that because it was starting to hype up the big anniversary year. We normally don't know much until construction starts. With less than 6 months until opening night now, that should be starting soon in the tents. I hope by the end of April to have some more info.

Yeah tempered expectations and not taking it so serious. I had said I would give info if I got it... but I think a year without leaks would be amazing. I don't know if it can happen. Seems everything leaks nearly simultaneously with when the info is given to me. I think sources should abstain from any info except official. I don't really want any info... well I do... Well I don't. It's... complicated. 

• Like 2

Well my "vibe" on this year will be the same as the last 13 years.

1. I will have a blast.

2.There will be great houses and some not so much.

3.It will be crowded.

4.Express is a blessing..... with a cost.

5.I will have a blast.

6.Rain has no effect on wait times.

As far as leaked info, I always know before I go whats going on (trip reports,videos,etc).

It in no ways compares to actually being there. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Traveller, you nailed it.  While I admit that I was losing my mind over all the wonderful things they did last year, and it crossed my mind that we wouldn't see something that "big" for probably another five years, it still doesn't dim my enthusiasm for the event.  I have a countdown on my phone that's been running for a couple months already.  In case anyone needs an update, it's 162 days until opening night.  

Will I bitch when they say TWD is coming back AGAIN?  Yes, yes I will.  I've been over that since they ruined the scarezones the one year by making it ALL TWD - it's also when I stopped watching the show for that very reason.. but I digress.  If TWD comes back, well, then it means I will just go through the other houses more times.  Adjust and enjoy.  I still believe they are some of the best in the biz, and there is no question about the passion and effort A&D puts into this.  I, for one, am grateful and love that I get to attend this event every year.

So, screw a bunch of "negative vibes".  

• Like 2

On 3/27/2016 at 1:14 PM, traveller said:

1. I will have a blast.

3.It will be crowded.

5.I will have a blast.

As far as leaked info, I always know before I go whats going on (trip reports,videos,etc).

I totally agree with everything you said!

I have only been to the event two years (24 and 25) but followed it online for MANY years. 24 I was still terrified about what I was getting myself into to and had only planned on 2 nights. That was a mistake! I had the best time I have ever had at any theme park that year! It was just incredible. Was blown away by what they were able to pull off in a year. I didn't go into every house (and boy do I kick myself still for skipping Halloween and G&G) but it was fun! Then of course last year I corrected my mistake and went for a full weekend WITH express! Did every single house a ton of time...50 total! Went solo for 25 and still had an insanely fun time. Doing the "lights on" tour was just the icing on the cake.

Now, I have booked 11 nights at Cabana Bay already so I can attend two full weekends this year (solo again)! Regardless of what houses get made, if they have an Icon or not, or even if TWD comes back, I will still have a blast. There is something, for lack of a better word, magical in the air during the event...way more than the magic you feel at WDW. Are there IP's and other things I would like to see? Of course! I want a Krampus house sooo bad! But, even if that IP is not present, I will not let that ruin the whole event. I say, be grateful we get an event of this scale each and every year and appreciate it while it last. Like all good things, it will end at some point so enjoy it! 

• Like 3

On 3/27/2016 at 1:14 PM, traveller said:

1. I will have a blast.

3.It will be crowded.

5.I will have a blast.

This guy gets it!

I feel the same way. We book way before any info is leaked. We spend a ton of money before we hear a thing about the event (Im fortunate enough o be able to swing such a trip). We do bc we love it. I'm not sure what it would take to get us to not go (besides having a kid or some big life event). We go the same nights every year. We do a day at Disney and hopefully a day in Vero Beach to train some jiu-jitsu with some friends.

• Like 2

Hey you guys - we are there that weekend as well.  Then we go again the middle weekend of October and again for Halloween weekend.  One of these times, Peoria, we will run into each other for a hello.  I mean, we're practically neighbors (or, at least, same state)

We'll be down there from the 27th through the weekend as well. This year we decided to check out the new Loews Sapphire Falls Resort. Hopefully it will be nice.

Personally I'm feeling a minor negative vibe, but not because of anything Universal is doing. Last year I found that walking somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 miles (tracked via fitbit) over a few day stretch was slightly more brutal than usual on my spine (which I've had surgery on multiple times). Another year older and an additional 10-15lbs of weight gain have me feeling a bit concerned about all that walking. Guess I better stick to my diet...

To be honest, I'm not getting a whole lot of vibes at all really. Other than the codename Cobweb (which could be a million things), the strong possibility of another year of TWD, and the sharing of at least 1 or 2 ips with Hollywood, what other breaking news has there been?