Halloween Horror Nights 26 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

There's not much that I can think of from a "That would scare me" persepctive....I thought the Sculders were cute. 
I would like to see an AHS house, only to see the characters and locations in real life, that would be cool.
I love the idea of Doll house of the damned a couple years ago,  I'd love to see that brought back
Leave it to Cleaver... nuff said on that

When it comes to Leave it to Cleaver, H.R Bloodengutz, and any other house they haven't sequeled the shit out of. I think leaving it as a one hit wonder is for the best. 

Leave it to Cleaver: Revelations, Genesis, Resurrection, Reloaded, Forever. *cringe* Get it outta here.

Come to think of it, the walking dead is close to legally having to have Revelations or Genesis as a subtitle.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, IheartNARWHALS said:

When it comes to Leave it to Cleaver, H.R Bloodengutz, and any other house they haven't sequeled the shit out of. I think leaving it as a one hit wonder is for the best. 

Agreed. Certain houses just do not call for sequels, especially ones that were only good due to certain circumstances. HAVOC is the best example of that. 2010's was nothing special, but the cast was so energetic, it made it popular and successful. That's why the sequel, which actually featured better scenic imo, was not rated as high. Mutant soldiers is not a topic that calls for several houses (or another room in M&M -.-). Cleaver is another one that doesn't hold much for a sequel (and it wasn't popular enough to warrant one anyway). Same with houses like Winter's Night, Orfanage, Dollhouse, etc.

Then there's certain houses that BEG for sequels, such as Nightingales, Catacombs, Scary Tales, etc. Houses that can be explored in new realms and settings. Houses that have a storyline that could actually be continued. Other than those specific (and very few) houses, I'd rather all the great originals stay as one hit wonders, and have A&D continue to bring out great, fresh ideas. Because that's what they're best at. 

• Like 1

My idea for hhn 26

Halloween Horror Nights XXVI

Take Two

Icon- The User 

Backstory- Jack's carnival has packed its bags and has left universal studios Orlando for another season, All the past icons have said their goodbyes and returned to the depths of hell they walk... All but one icon is pleased after 25 years of screams, The User is enraged at what is left of his beloved theater, Blood,bodies and Cindy are left all for him to deal with. But in his hour of rage he hatches an idea to bring the theater back to life 

House's

Crimson Peak- Maze Of Madness

Beware Of Crimson Peak....

Jeepers Creepers- Cornfield Creep 

Come face to face with the Creeper

HellRaiser-Hell's Rasing 

Pinhead is waiting for you

Texas Chainsaw Massacre- Tex Mex 

The Hewitt's Are Hungry 

Psycho!- Mother's Museum 

Norman has built a museum in his mother's honor... Or himself 

The Phantom Of The Opera- Haunted Opera

The ghostly songs grow closer as he gets near

All Nite Die In Take 3

The User and The Director have teamed up together for a "new line" of fresh kills...

Universal Studios House of horrors- War on Horror

All the classic horror movies vs the new age of horror are at war! Whoever wins you will still die 

Ripped From the silver screen- Horror at home

Come face to face with the newest Tales Of Terror

Something Something Zombies- Walk of the dead

Ahh No! Zombies.... Again?

A buddy and I had an idea to have a tongue in cheek zombie house called family photos.

In it, each room was a walk through of different zombies scenes through the eras... but is completely poking fun at the genre at the same using a "family portrait" style. Each room would be a typical snapshot someone would have in an album but.. well with zombies.

for the different era, you would evolve through, black and white, technicolor, 80's, 90's, etc. poking fun at each style through the generations all set to a family photo style.

• Like 1

Okay, I hate to be the person to bring this up but the way things are going at HHN, a recent horror game (if you can call them that) is gaining lots of traction. I've heard multiple people that I talk to about HHN want to see this. Five Nights at Freddy's...It's so upsetting but its a very popular horror game made by an indie developer. It's prime material for an event trying to rake in the money and bodies.

Edited by IheartNARWHALS

1 hour ago, IheartNARWHALS said:

Okay, I hate to be the person to bring this up but the way things are going at HHN, a recent horror game (if you can call them that) is gaining lots of traction. I've heard multiple people that I talk to about HHN want to see this. Five Nights at Freddy's...It's so upsetting but its a very popular horror game made by an indie developer. It's prime material for an event trying to rake in the money and bodies.

Was given a flat out no last year by John Murdy at Hollywood. And if anyone would do FNAF, it'd be the same guy who made This Is The End 3D. So no way Jose. Maybe when the movie comes out, but I just don't see it, and I can't say I'm sad.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IheartNARWHALS said:

Don't worry in won't happen. Although you might wish it would :P

In other news, some info trickling down I caught wind of. Not at liberty... people's jobs... blah blah etc. etc. 

But, if true, nothing jumps out and grabs me. Everything was safe and predictable and not (IMO) worth even hinting at. But it may all just be safe bets and logical calculations from observant people... which worked very well the last few years. Still, too early to tell without a direct tap of a source and i just don't have the desire to do it anymore.

Here's a question to postulate, as I'm sure many have already. How many houses? I've heard wild rumors from 7-11. While it's all conjecture and speculation, my logical guess is 9 is not sustainable. Anything more than that requires 2 parks and that isn't bloody likely. The only way I see 2 parks happening is if they are forced to by space restraints... but they are resourceful and it won't happen. They should be fine to sustain the 8 houses. Although it isn't out of the realm of possibility of going back to 7. Personally, 9 is too much for a single night event.

As for what I expect:

TWD, a classic horror movie adapted, 1-2 current horror movies adapted, Possibly another T.V. show adapted, Old ideas brought back, Something to play on the popularity of " The Witch" but not actually the movie (witch would be an original house), a franchise to come back, and a new original. If we have to have 9 houses throw in another classic movie adaptation.

Scarezones... a bit trickier but:

Pumpkins/witch jars in CP, traditional Halloween area (maybe one in the same), Something to tie to an IP, something new possibly

What I don't expect:

A cohesive theme outside of marketing

An interactive site with games

An Icon (unless it's Jack)

An "extreme" house

GATS

A.H.S.

Anything from Stephen King

Anything from Hitchcock
Two Parks

Blood N' Gutz, LITC, or a dark comedy house at all

A 3-D house

Anything really out of the box

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JDW said:

Here's a question to postulate, as I'm sure many have already. How many houses? I've heard wild rumors from 7-11. While it's all conjecture and speculation, my logical guess is 9 is not sustainable. Anything more than that requires 2 parks and that isn't bloody likely. The only way I see 2 parks happening is if they are forced to by space restraints... but they are resourceful and it won't happen. They should be fine to sustain the 8 houses. Although it isn't out of the realm of possibility of going back to 7. Personally, 9 is too much for a single night event.

As much as I like having 9 houses, I think 8 is better. It's just less stress on the designers/A&D and also as you said 9 is a lot in one night. I do think it'd be interesting if they kept the 9th house for anniversary years as kind of an "added perk" but that's just my opinion. I mean, obviously whatever they do- be it 8 or 9 I'd be fine with. While anything is possible I'd think the only way they'd go back to 7 is either a.) major budget cut or b.)last minute emergency (like realllllly last minute, beyond SCREAM last minute.) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JDW said:

Don't worry in won't happen. Although you might wish it would :P

In other news, some info trickling down I caught wind of. Not at liberty... people's jobs... blah blah etc. etc. 

But, if true, nothing jumps out and grabs me. Everything was safe and predictable and not (IMO) worth even hinting at. But it may all just be safe bets and logical calculations from observant people... which worked very well the last few years. Still, too early to tell without a direct tap of a source and i just don't have the desire to do it anymore.

As for what I expect:

TWD, a classic horror movie adapted, 1-2 current horror movies adapted, Possibly another T.V. show adapted, Old ideas brought back, Something to play on the popularity of " The Witch" but not actually the movie (witch would be an original house), a franchise to come back, and a new original. If we have to have 9 houses throw in another classic movie adaptation.

Scarezones... a bit trickier but:

Pumpkins/witch jars in CP, traditional Halloween area (maybe one in the same), Something to tie to an IP, something new possibly

What I don't expect:

A cohesive theme outside of marketing

An interactive site with games

An Icon (unless it's Jack)

An "extreme" house

GATS

A.H.S.

Anything from Stephen King

Anything from Hitchcock
Two Parks

Blood N' Gutz, LITC, or a dark comedy house at all

A 3-D house

Anything really out of the box

Would the classic horror film adaptation be an A&D pet project much like AWIL, Halloween and FvJ?

14 hours ago, IheartNARWHALS said:

Nothing is set in stone this early, so there is no point trying to pry info this early in the year. Let it be. 90% of that will be changed in the next month or two. 

Good point and I didn't pry (or even really care) just things that hit my desk. Mostly just because I said I'd keep you all abreast with what I've heard. At least to the level I can. 

But be that as it may, IP lists are locked down on the Universal level at this point. They know what they are pursuing to make deals with. Whether those deals pan out or not are completely another thing. Hence what I heard was a long list of IPs that they, (allegedly) are pursuing.

Anyway,

This gives me a glimmer of hope with TWD. I know the schlocky science they use has postponed decay in the zombies. What I didn't know (because I stopped watching) was that the zombies are now in the black purification stage (which is when the brain becomes a black puddle of goo) nor did I know the entire last series was a span of two days. It does seem like the creators are realizing the zeds are living on borrowed time. Couple that with Reedus most likely dying off soon, and the shows may be about done. Or at least change it's dynamic. Which, honestly, it should. Zombies really aren't the focal point and only a cheap point device to keep the show moving, and to inject tension, at this point. Sure, have one every once in a while but own up to what the show is really about. The living... dead walking... whatever you want to call them. There is no way this thing will end in any other way than everyone dying if the zombie masses stay around. There is no cure. So it's only a matter of time before everyone (even the stars) go bye bye.

Anyway this is a good watch.

1 hour ago, JDW said:

Good point and I didn't pry (or even really care) just things that hit my desk. Mostly just because I said I'd keep you all abreast with what I've heard. At least to the level I can. 

But be that as it may, IP lists are locked down on the Universal level at this point. They know what they are pursuing to make deals with. Whether those deals pan out or not are completely another thing. Hence what I heard was a long list of IPs that they, (allegedly) are pursuing.

Anyway,

This gives me a glimmer of hope with TWD. I know the schlocky science they use has postponed decay in the zombies. What I didn't know (because I stopped watching) was that the zombies are now in the black purification stage (which is when the brain becomes a black puddle of goo) nor did I know the entire last series was a span of two days. It does seem like the creators are realizing the zeds are living on borrowed time. Couple that with Reedus most likely dying off soon, and the shows may be about done. Or at least change it's dynamic. Which, honestly, it should. Zombies really aren't the focal point and only a cheap point device to keep the show moving, and to inject tension, at this point. Sure, have one every once in a while but own up to what the show is really about. The living... dead walking... whatever you want to call them. There is no way this thing will end in any other way than everyone dying if the zombie masses stay around. There is no cure. So it's only a matter of time before everyone (even the stars) go bye bye.

Anyway this is a good watch.

But if Daryl dies they riot :lol: 

AMC isn't letting this show end, not for another few years. It's still the highest rated show on TV by a wide margin.

1 hour ago, criticalanalysis said:

I despise this. It sounds like Hollywood wanted an IP, they got it, and then management forced it on Orlando.

I despise IPs. Jesus christ.

You despise IPs? BUT they been around since 1991... just saying.

Also we have shared with Hollywood a lot over the 25yrs... Just saying

• Like 3

On 2/13/2016 at 11:21 AM, Ecto_Freak said:
On 2/13/2016 at 9:56 AM, criticalanalysis said:

I despise this. It sounds like Hollywood wanted an IP, they got it, and then management forced it on Orlando.

I despise IPs. Jesus christ.

Yes, we know, you hate everything.  IPs are always going to be here and I, for one, usually love them.  Why?  Here's a movie description:

"In the old west, a bunch of stranger get stuck in a blizzard and have to hole up in a cabin."

Sounds like a stupid and boring movie.  But tell me that Quinten Tarrantino directed it and suddenly it's very intriguing and worth my money.  QT is the IP there.  On his name alone, that story sounds INFINITELY better, more interesting, and worth my time and money.

By the same token, "Come out to Universal Stuidos for all original haunted houses!" sounds boring.  But if you tell me you're going to Freddy and Jason, that's something I can relate to.  That's something that draws people.  That's something Joe from Idaho, on a trip to Florida, will buy a ticket to on impulse where as "all original houses featuring clowns, children, ghosts, vampires, lunatics and murders" sounds lame and not something you're going to be interested in.  At this point, an all original year would sound like "it's going to suck, uni is tightening the purse strings and couldn't even pursue IPs to have...this year is gonna suck!"

Now...I get it, you like original content.  But Universal Studios is, well, a movie studio.  Their themepark is based on...well, movies.  The fact that we get any originals is pretty damn special.  And you REALLY sound like someone who likes a local band, complains that they don't get enough recognition, but when they DO get that recognition and become a national band, accuse them of selling out and hate them.  It gets old quick.

Edited by Oysterhead00

On 2/12/2016 at 2:33 PM, JDW said:

Wasn't meant for you JDW, it was for the post after what you said. I'll quote next time. No ill will here man :P

But I understand that people don't like IP DRIVEN events, I can see that. But hating IP's in general is just stupid and that's what's holding back HHN. Original houses are hard to come up with. Try thinking some up in your spare time, its hard to think of something that will pull in people. Now do 8 or 9 more times. Almost impossible. IP's help with giving some material to work with. With which they can do a scene by scene, a mash-up, or a new story in a different universe. 

Don't hate on IP's just because of your jaded sense of nostalgia.

51 minutes ago, IheartNARWHALS said:

Original houses are hard to come up with. Try thinking some up in your spare time, its hard to think of something that will pull in people. Now do 8 or 9 more times. Almost impossible.

This is why Universal has a team of creatives working on the event... :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Yes, we know, you hate everything.  IPs are always going to be here and I, for one, usually love them.  Why?  Here's a movie description:

"In the old west, a bunch of stranger get stuck in a blizzard and have to hole up in a cabin."

[...rest of your post...]

Now...I get it, you like original content.  But Universal Studios is, well, a movie studio.  Their themepark is based on...well, movies.  The fact that we get any originals is pretty damn special.  And you REALLY sound like someone who likes a local band, complains that they don't get enough recognition, but when they DO get that recognition and become a national band, accuse them of selling out and hate them.  It gets old quick.

You're downplaying how original content can be described. If original content wasn't bringing in guests the event wouldn't have expanded in its golden years the way it did.

5 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Sounds like a stupid and boring movie.  But tell me that Quinten Tarrantino directed it and suddenly it's very intriguing and worth my money.  QT is the IP there.  On his name alone, that story sounds INFINITELY better, more interesting, and worth my time and money...

Here's the problem with that analogy. Tarantino isn't an IP. He is a creative that creates original stories. H8ful Eight, Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction succeed because of their originality. Tarantino directing Transformers wouldn't be hardly as compelling because Transformers wouldn't be original within the context of its own world.

If we really want to go with a film director analogy though, let's go with this:

Quentin Tarantino = Original content. Unique stories he creates from scratch that might not be widely accepted.

Michael Bay = IP adaptation. Adjusting known properties to a new format that pleases the masses (Transformers, TMNT).

Both are completely capable. But one gets a lot more money with an (arguably) lower quality.

4 hours ago, IheartNARWHALS said:

Original houses are hard to come up with. Try thinking some up in your spare time...

Eh... Put 10 highly creative people in a room for three months and it becomes a lot easier. Especially when anything can be scary.

And the thing is that we aren't asking them to avoid tropes. That's impossible. But I'd rather see Universal's take on something other haunts have done before than nothing but easily consumable adaptations from films. When something becomes so formulaic you can guess what's coming nearly a year out, excitement can start to wane.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Legacy said:

When something becomes so formulaic you can guess what's coming nearly a year out, excitement can start to wane.

Spot on. Hell, even the houses themselves are formulaic at this point. Other haunts with far less of a budget are more unique in their scares. Even simple techniques - boo doors - are far less common than they used to be. Now, it seems like it's

1) walk into a room, something to misdirect your gaze while another person jumps out of a curtain,

2) person standing like a statue yet it is obvious they're real, or

3) someone comes out from one part of a room that's set back a bit for an "action' scene

There's no innovation anymore. AWIL's puppetry was unique but executed poorly due to glaring scene setup issues.

Scenes are even rehashed now way more than they used to be. 

Most of the "support" of the new HHN style are from newcomers. That's to be expected. The criticism stems from people who have visited for years. Isn't it telling when someone like JDW says he doesn't support the event like he used to for a number of reasons?

Edited by criticalanalysis

On February 14, 2016 at 5:58 PM, IheartNARWHALS said:

But I understand that people don't like IP DRIVEN events, I can see that. But hating IP's in general is just stupid and that's what's holding back HHN. Original houses are hard to come up with. Try thinking some up in your spare time, its hard to think of something that will pull in people. Now do 8 or 9 more times. Almost impossible. IP's help with giving some material to work with. With which they can do a scene by scene, a mash-up, or a new story in a different universe. 

As stated numerous times thus far, it takes a TEAM of people to pull off some creative unique ideas (Isn't that what Aiello has stressing in his tweets here lately?! For goodness sakes, he pinned that very idea to the top of the HHN Twitter account! lol). If Knott's can do it, most certainly Universal can do it! KSF has proven that you can make ANYTHING scary!

• King_K. pinned this topic
  • Mark M. unpinned and locked this topic