Halloween Horror Nights 26 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

6 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

I hope founded rumors don't circulate. I'd rather them keep a tight leash on everything and really up their website, fan presence.

This is something I really miss. I only became as big a fan as I am during the 2010 season, so I only really experienced 2 fleshed out websites, and they weren't even the best ones. Having games, backstories, slow reveals to the "big reveal" at the end of August for the entire event was a lot of fun and built up hype. Last year was the first time since 2011 I was excited for a midnight reveal of the event. Even though 4 houses had already been announced, the originals/shows/streets hadn't been, and it just felt like the Icon days again. I know how unlikely it is at this point, but it's one of those fan service things that we all cherished and would LOVE to see happen again.

Also, if any of the newer fans were wondering what kinds of websites we're talking about, horrornights.be has a bunch of the past websites in tact with games and everything. They're a whole lot of fun to check out, especially 05's and 08's.

• Like 1

I'm calling this year, The Year of the Sprung Tent. They are losing so many house locations this year I think they'll have no choice to do one of these two options. Acquire another or 2 more sprung tents and place them around Universal, or the smarter opinion would be to open up both parks but keep the rides to a minimum if having any open. 

I would put all the original content and less popular houses in IOA with a connection back to Universal where the big IP houses will be. They could also finally have a reason to use the theater in Toon Lagoon (if it's still operational) and The Carnage Warehouse one more time. At least until most of the construction is over and they gain more people eater rides to thin out the crowd. 

Also if they have King Kong open during the event that will pull a lot of the crowds as well. Seems like a win win but they don't pay me the big bucks so I would have no clue if it is a good idea logistically or not. 

15 hours ago, IheartNARWHALS said:

I'm calling this year, The Year of the Sprung Tent. They are losing so many house locations this year I think they'll have no choice to do one of these two options. Acquire another or 2 more sprung tents and place them around Universal, or the smarter opinion would be to open up both parks but keep the rides to a minimum if having any open. 

I would put all the original content and less popular houses in IOA with a connection back to Universal where the big IP houses will be. They could also finally have a reason to use the theater in Toon Lagoon (if it's still operational) and The Carnage Warehouse one more time. At least until most of the construction is over and they gain more people eater rides to thin out the crowd. 

Also if they have King Kong open during the event that will pull a lot of the crowds as well. Seems like a win win but they don't pay me the big bucks so I would have no clue if it is a good idea logistically or not. 

The MIB queue is probably where the 9th house is going this year, they don't need 2 parks yet IMO

1000000% wishful thinking, as this topic is titled, but one thing I've always wanted was an outdoor "house".  Hear me out....

Not talking a chainlink fence maze like they had the one year, but a full "house" outdoors.  Walls set up with some props (basically lacquered to hell to "waterproof" them), but all lighting would have to be from light stands above or something for safety/fire/electrocution reasons.  It could go in a parking lot or whatever.  But something where it wouldn't be a complete conga line as it would be wider.  It would really just be a semi-contained, wide open, pulsed (in terms of a line to get in) scare zone.  It would be in an area that didn't have parade limitations.  They have a friggen tank thrown somewhere in storage (I presume) and the big unamog truck and stuff....you could make one hell of a post apocalyptic area.  It would have walls in parts (no roof), with stuff like a tank crashed through it...and then courtyards or whatever where you have to wander through a scare zone type area to continue on, etc.  Add in walls/props/whatever on wheels that could be moved to disorient.  Flamethrower towers.  Whatever.  Outside, not enclosed, so the safety regulations would be much more lax.  For safety, have all kinds of "escape routes" where the conga hearders can stand with their flashlights keeping you from entering, but allowing alleys of regress in case of emergency.  Could have all kinds of physical obstacles to overcome due to the open space to have an ADA alternate route for the patrons unable to navigate the obstacles.

It would be something different, not requiring an enclosed space, would have a really interesting lighting setup with overhead lighting and tons of fog, etc.

With all the construction, it could be a good time to try something like this...just imagine a scare zone with a house budget and production value.  Could be epic.

OK, commence critically analyzing my post in 3...2....1.... :)

Edited by Oysterhead00
Typed this novel on my tablet and missed some autocorrect issues

2 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

1000000% wishful thinking, as this topic is titled, but one thing I've always wanted was an outdoor "house".  Hear me out....

With all the construction, it could be a good time to try something like this...just imagine a scare zone with a house budget and production value.  Could be epic.

OK, commence critically analyzing my post in 3...2....1.... :)

So Fright Yard // any scarezone? lol. Nah, I don't like the idea.

8 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

JP Evilution in 02' and Jungle of Doom in 03' were mostly outside in the old JP Triceratops Encounter area.

I was always a huge fan of Evilution, Jungle of Doom on the other hand was just okay, not too memorable. While your idea isn't the worst, it sounds like an operations nightmare.

• Like 2

Jungle of Doom was fantastic on EP night. But people kept getting lost, so they cleared the paths and made it too open to be good.

But they won't risk anymore fully outdoor houses anymore because of weather. Scarezones can be shut down on the fly and damaged. When a house shuts down, it's a much bigger deal. And they won't keep an outdoor house open in a storm.

Also, they're only losing one house location currently, and that's Disaster. MIB extended queue or a third Sprung (which was discussed last year) are both options. If Kidzone is closed, Parade will still likely be open but it's queue would be different.

With Disaster gone and all the construction going on near Twister, I have a strong feeling we will be seeing two parks again this year. Plus, with Kong and a brand new Hulk opening in IoA and JK/WB being ok with HP opening during Horror Nights now, this is the perfect time for it. I keep hearing about how spread out the event felt back when they did the two park concept but you have to remember how long ago that was and how less crowded it was as well. HHN is a whole different beast now and the crowds are just insane. I feel like at this point, going backwards in house count is a bad move. I honestly expect 10 houses, 6 zones, and 2 shows this year. 6 houses in US, 4 in IoA, 3 SZ in US, 2 in IoA and 1 big one connecting the parks. The crowds are going to keep coming regardless. Rides are a surprisingly popular thing during the event as well and having two "new" rides open in IoA will really help. Plus they could even keep the train open without having to deal with tickets as another way to move people around. 

Can we just not have any scarezones this year? I'd rather miss out on those, put those efforts towards a larger house count and more shows. I can't stand that scare zones are now just photo ops. It leads to so much congestion around scraezones that make it unbearable to walk through. That may just be the opinion of a very small portion of people but I stand by the fact that people ruin everything. 

In short, put your fuckin phones away and just enjoy the event. You don't need a picture acknowledging your existence and honestly, I or no one here gives a shit that you're at HHN. /endrant

3 hours ago, IheartNARWHALS said:

Can we just not have any scarezones this year? I'd rather miss out on those.

You are in a pretty small majority when it comes to this statement I think.

I agree that some of the photo taking has gotten incredibly excessive, but that's just a sign of the times. I'd much rather just deal with the people trying to get photos than to get rid of scarezones all together.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, King_K. said:

You are in a pretty small majority when it comes to this statement I think.

I agree that some of the photo taking has gotten incredibly excessive, but that's just a sign of the times. I'd much rather just deal with the people trying to get photos than to get rid of scarezones all together.

I agree.  I look forward to the scarezones - especially whatever goes into Central Park.  It's such a great, natural setting for a scarezone, and I'd be completely lost without it.  I think these are so important to hold the continuity and feel of Halloween Horror Nights.  The hundreds of actors in the streets give it the feel you need to make it from house to house.  It is part of what makes this my favorite event of the year

• Like 1

Okay, I can admit getting rid of them is a bit of an extreme but seeing nothing but people stalking actors to take a selfie with them, its a bit disheartening. Why can't people just enjoy the event? A few pictures with actors is fine (especially if you know them) but people watching has become saddening watching people track down every actor in the scarezone and taking pictures with them, sometime against the actors will. 

Also people climbing on props and hurting actors is becoming more and more of a problem that seriously needs to be addressed. 

The writing is on the wall regarding scarezones. It might not be this year or next, but they're going to disappear. And it won't necessarily be because of money (though their budget is regularly slashed midway through for the houses), it'll be safety. Scareactors are having a harder time operating each year, and the zones take up valuable space that can be given to paying guests. There will still be ambiance, and maybe actors on stages, but eventually the scareactors on the ground will go away.

And two parks is still incredibly unlikely. The Jimmy Fallon construction only effects queue layout which is easily solved. There are three possible replacement locations for the Disaster house not including sound stages (MIB, Parade 2, Sprung 3). IoA won't shut down early the first year of Kong and Hulk2 because it won't need to.

The "two-park" term has always been a misnomer. It's never been two whole parks. It's the front half of both. The original design in 2004 didn't use Toon, JP, Lost Continent, Hollywood, San Fran, Central Park, Amity, KidZone or World's Fair. The 2012 plan didn't use Marvel, Toon, JP, Potter, Lost Continent, San Fran, Central Park, Amity, KidZone or World's Fair. That's for a reason. Asking guests to walk from JP to World's Fair is asking them to get exhausted and leave early. Parks have to have a certain level of compactness for the general population. So they do the half/half system for HHN.

The complaints about the sparseness comes from the fact that there is NOTHING backstage. Except for where there's scarezone, you're just walking along a road with no immersion looking at warehouse looking buildings. In 2004, they actually set-up porta-potties because there aren't generally accessible restrooms. Trust me, the idea of "two-parks" is much more compelling than the execution.

• Like 4

On January 30, 2016 at 0:43 PM, traveller said:

My wishful thinking of houses, House on haunted hill 1999

Salems lot (Though I thought I heard somewhere that Stephen King would not allow his stories to be used in this type of media. HHN/shows)

Sinister

Trick r treat

A Voo doo house/southern swamp/ghosts

American Horror story(any of them)

A mortuary type house, they could use Albert and or Cindy in this one

A comedy zombie house, zombies beiing killed in a funny morbid kind of way.( make this one very gory)

Marilyn Manson a journey into darkness(twisted cathedral with dark forces/evil spirits/ghost)

I would like to see some of the houses from  years back, Castle Vampyr, Ship of screams,dead silence etc.

But my main concern is that all in all this event has grown so popular that execution of the event is crucial to its success in the future.

looking forward to this year as I have the last 14 years for a great time.

Marilyn Manson meets Gothic... that would be a pretty awesome house!

Okay honestly why is Trick 'r' Treat listed every year? It's been out for so many years now and personally I've yet to meet anyone in the real world who saw it. 

and for the rest of these wet dream ideas, they'd only make about 2 worthwhile scenes.

-Alfred Hitchcock: There seems to be a reason that Hollywood only uses Psycho, whether it be their backlot tour or the now defunct House of Horrors, and it's because any other Hitchcock film includes so much buildup & suspense to the climax that everyone seems to remember, and recreating that in a house would result in the equivalent of a museum exhibit dedicated to his work. But if you want 10 rooms of shower curtains go right ahead.

-The Shining: okay let's forget about the fact that we'll never, EVER see a King book/film as a house as long as he lives, and look into the Overlook. "Here's Johnny" obviously, then the maze finale. Good luck trying to get 100+ gallons of "blood" to flow out of an elevator every 6 seconds. Throw in the naked old lady, the dogsuit blowjob, and the skeleton ballroom and you've got one heck of an incoherent house on your hands.

A lot of what makes these two examples scary is SHOWing the scariness through TELLing a story, often with dialogue. The energy & style of HHN is TELLing a story through SHOWing a Scare.

/endrant

22 hours ago, Legacy said:

And two parks is still incredibly unlikely. The Jimmy Fallon construction only effects queue layout which is easily solved. There are three possible replacement locations for the Disaster house not including sound stages (MIB, Parade 2, Sprung 3). IoA won't shut down early the first year of Kong and Hulk2 because it won't need to.

T.H.I.S. I've been saying this since November. They're not going to want to shut down both parks at 5 that many days in Sept./Oct. with 2 new rides opening, especially with how popular the resort has become. Losing 1 house and 1 queue location isn't a big deal. There's plenty of spots for house #9 (money's on MiB overflow), and rerouting the SS queues isn't all that difficult. I don't expect 2 parks at all.

I do not agree with your stance on scarezones, unless you have actual info telling you otherwise. I don't think they will get rid of the actors in the streets. I do see where you're coming from, and if it does eventually happen I will be surprised but will understand it. I just don't see it getting to that point though. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2016 at 1:24 PM, Dead Inside said:

The MIB queue is probably where the 9th house is going this year, they don't need 2 parks yet IMO

this would make sense. Well, I don't follow much but it does if  Fear factor is going away by then because that was the reason they could not put a house in the MIB queue last year. The inspectors didn't like how close it meander near the pyro of the show.

2 hours ago, foREVer56 said:

T.H.I.S. I've been saying this since November. They're not going to want to shut down both parks at 5 that many days in Sept./Oct. with 2 new rides opening, especially with how popular the resort has become. Losing 1 house and 1 queue location isn't a big deal. There's plenty of spots for house #9 (money's on MiB overflow), and rerouting the SS queues isn't all that difficult. I don't expect 2 parks at all.

I do not agree with your stance on scarezones, unless you have actual info telling you otherwise. I don't think they will get rid of the actors in the streets. I do see where you're coming from, and if it does eventually happen I will be surprised but will understand it. I just don't see it getting to that point though. 

Yeah the pipe dream of two parks is just that until the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mrevio said:

Okay honestly why is Trick 'r' Treat listed every year? It's been out for so many years now

The same could be said for American Horror Story. If they tried to do a recap year, that will be on the same level of coherence as 25 years last year. And starting at Hotel seems like a lot of missed opportunities. Fox would would probably through there yearly temper tantrum because we can't get people getting raped or nudity in a PG-13 event. (Spitballing a lot of this but I could only imagine that's one of many problems that FOX has with HHN).

Would I love to see it, hell yeah. Will it happen? Not likely. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dead Inside said:

Has A&D ever attempted to get The Shining rights? AHS will never happen because they've tried getting the rights at least twice already.

Yes they have.. Since the last 90s (Murdy has tried many yrs as well) BUT Stephen King wont let ANY Haunt have the rights to make a haunt based on his works.

They have tried more then 2 times to get AHS, hold up is Fox.