• The Walking Dead: Wolves Not Far
    • Crimson Peak: Maze of Madness
    • AVP: Alien vs. Predator
  2. 2. Scarezone of the Year

• Exterminatorz
    • Dark Christmas
    • Corpz
    • The Purge: Urban Nightmare

I agree with all of you, I was in absolute awe of how perfect Insidious was. I am completely obsessed with this maze. I have Halloween and TWD tied for 2nd....both were spectacularly well done. I may be leaning more towards TWD just because I still have last years maze so fresh in my mind and this year's is 10x better.

So without spoilers would you guys say this years Insidious maze is better than the one from 2013 and if so by how much? Insidious is one of my all time favorite horror movies so it really excites me to hear that all of you loved it so much and I cant wait to experience it myself.

• Like 1

So without spoilers would you guys say this years Insidious maze is better than the one from 2013 and if so by how much? Insidious is one of my all time favorite horror movies so it really excites me to hear that all of you loved it so much and I cant wait to experience it myself.

In my opinion, it is much much better than 2013's. The amount of scares tripled and were much stronger and creative, set designs were detailed and gorgeous, there was lots of diversity in characters and it felt longer (in the best way possible). You could tell the scare actors were having the times of their lives. I'm honestly not quite sure how this maze could've gone any better.

*I also got to meet Lin Shaye (Elise) on opening night and she is the sweetest person ever. I geeked out with her about the maze for about 30 seconds.

Edited by bggrenville813
  • Like 2

I'd say it's better but only by a notch. I mean, the first maze was already pretty dang amazing. So like, if you were to give Insidious '13 a 100, Insidious '15 is a 103.  That's just my opinion though!

I may be leaning more towards TWD just because I still have last years maze so fresh in my mind and this year's is 10x better.

Me too. I'll solidify my stance on it on my next trip at the end of Oct, but I feel like TWD's sheer cast size & performance is just only going to get better. Halloween has a great cast too, but there's some things about the design of the maze that let me down a bit, plus it has comparisons to 09 to deal with, and that maze is among the handful of perfect mazes HHN has done.

*I also got to meet Lin Shaye (Elise) on opening night and she is the sweetest person ever. I geeked out with her about the maze for about 30 seconds.

What'd she reply back with? haha

It is always impossible to pick a favorite.  Especially when things change and get better throughout the event and multiple runs through a maze.  The top three, in no specific order yet, Crimson Peak, Insidious, and Halloween.

Unsure if this is the correct place for it, but would like to add some Scareactor appreciation.  Orlando has a separate thread, but think it can fit in here.

The cast for Insidious were amazing on Friday and Saturday during opening weekend.  The Demon at the exit of the maze and I had a few interesting encounters each run through.  Appreciate the extra attention and effort.

The quick double scare from "Don't You Dare" character was great and felt recognized there as well.  (Brain is still mush and don't remember that characters name.)

Once again the cast for Crimson Peak was great on Friday and Saturday opening weekend.  Saturday was a bit better before the crowds took over.

The two characters in the 'basement' scene with the pipes and the popup puppets were great.  The one character on the left was popping out like a Demon Ninja and scaring a lot of people.  The character on the right was working well off of the first scares and getting everyone else.  Good team work and use of the darkness.  Being vague intentionally, the character in the darkness was a great added 'touch' to the scenes and transition.

Again Halloween was great and on both nights during opening weekend.  Trying not to spoil anything so being vague intentionally.  The characters in the sheet seen were great!  Using the environment well.  Disorienting guests and great scares!  The character in the final scene has a movie quality performance and should not be missed.  Also their actions and targeting guests works very well.

The Exterminators cast was always great and non stop.  The stilt walker with the hat is amazing!  Enjoyed the interaction with the puppet on the van and other scareactors.  Bravo.  Seeing a scareactor on stilts and one without skipping through a zone into the flames.....magical.....

Thanks to all the other scareactors.  Much appreciation to everyone.  Too many to list.  Just pointing out specific performances that felt personal or should be acknowledged.

*Back to the shadows*

• Like 1

What'd she reply back with? haha

She geeked out a little too! I told her how much I loved her and how amazing she is. She said "Thank you so much!" and asked if I went through the maze. When I said yes, she grabbed my hands and was like "Isn't it amazing??? I knew what was coming, but my heart still stopped so many times!!" I agreed and wished her a great night and she said "Thanks, honey! You enjoy tonight and have lots of fun!"

Again, she is the SWEETEST person ever and is absolutely gorgeous in person. If I wasn't so obsessed with her, I would never know that she's over 70-years-old. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Halloween is definitely my #1 with Crimson Peak and Insidious close #2 I got a lot more energy from Halloween and Crimson Peak than Insidious when I went. And I'm biased because Halloween is one of my favorite all time movies. 

Exterminatorz no contest for the best zone. The actors were funny, and when they weren't funny they were scary. And especially scary to someone like me with a fear of rodents. 

• 3 weeks later...

Insidious Return to the Further was so amazing and I got the best scare in that maze of any house at HHN yet. in the second scene where the demon graphic climbs on the wall I did not see the boo hole at the end of the wall and I was exiting the scene assuming the graphic was it and out of nowhere the red faced demon pops out right in my face from the left and scares the hell out of me and I almost fall over. it was so amazing and the maze just kept that level of excitement the whole way through all the way to the very end. I loved Insidious Return to the Further so much and it is by far my favorite house ever at HHN since ive been attending in 2012.

So of course for house of the year Insidious Return to the Further gets my vote. Second place would be Halloween for me followed by Crimson Peak in 3rd.

And Exterminatorz had some awesome masks so I would toss my vote for best scare zone to them. The Purge Urban Nightmare would be second.