Evil's Roots

Mark M.

Guest kiwisoup

I thought it was cancelled due to an "issue with the content".

I saw people complaining that it was racist and insulting to actual Voodoo practitioners on YouTube videos. The official description said Voodoo, but the main actress started saying she practiced her own magic that wasn't Voodoo. I sensed something was going to happen and it did shortly after the event started...so to say it was for another reason...I don't really believe it was crowd control. I asked a team member the first weekend they stopped doing it and they blamed it of the weather. I just don't think they want to say it was because of complaints because that would like an admission that it was offensive in the first place.

I thought it was cancelled due to an "issue with the content".

From what I heard, it was cut for being too violent.  And it just happened to coincide with a recent ISIS beheading.  However, Uni's official take was it was canceled due to crowding the area and causing too much congestion.

Well, rumors are suggesting that the scarezone art wasn't even directed to be made until after the website reveal. The quality of the work speaks loads for the artist, but none of the designs are particularly creative. They're kinda obvious, which seems to confirm the rushed job to create them.

• 2 weeks later...

Did not like this zone despite scare actors being pretty into it. Amalgamating different types of characters into one zone, throwing two different styles of lights (pumpkins and lanterns), and having unremarkable music playing doesn't jive well with me. I loved the fact that they made the zone reach out into the grass with the statues, but there needed to be more unifying cohesion.

Did not like this zone despite scare actors being pretty into it. Amalgamating different types of characters into one zone, throwing two different styles of lights (pumpkins and lanterns), and having unremarkable music playing doesn't jive well with me. I loved the fact that they made the zone reach out into the grass with the statues, but there needed to be more unifying cohesion.

I was so anticipating the return of the pumpkins and ended up being the less than thrilled to see last year's Bayou lanterns mixed in.  That really took away from the look of past experiences I was hoping to relive again.  And I'm not a fan of the music in any of the zones.  I know some are.  But it's not creating that ambient feeling they used to have.

• Like 1

I was so anticipating the return of the pumpkins and ended up being the less than thrilled to see last year's Bayou lanterns mixed in.  That really took away from the look of past experiences I was hoping to relive again.  And I'm not a fan of the music in any of the zones.  I know some are.  But it's not creating that ambient feeling they used to have.

That's the fundamental problem I have with this year. They took a billion ideas and tossed them together without thinking if it's the best idea. 

Edited by criticalanalysis

My favorite thing in this zone is the swamp looking thing that gnarls at you. I don't know what it is but the sound it makes is so hilarious.

There's so much cool props with the fog effect to take photos with but I left my camera at home and used my phone instead. It wasn't even worth the attempt. However because they don't turn out great and it's too fogged up to see, it does keep traffic flow moving.

Everyone was worried about this zone with the stage but Die In had it worse.

• Like 2

This zone was so pretty! I loved walking through this zone so much, and got scared every single time by the bushes looking things. (No idea what you would actually call them).

This zone was super foggy this past weekend so I could hardly see a thing in it at some parts, but that definitely wasn't a bad thing! The zone was definitely tight and at some points was a little hard to walk through so I would hate to see it when the park gets super packed in a  couple weeks.

Very true.  Funny how that worked out.  Having the barricades there was definitely a good move for traffic flow.

Told you there was a plan.

This zone was so pretty! I loved walking through this zone so much, and got scared every single time by the bushes looking things. (No idea what you would actually call them).

This zone was super foggy this past weekend so I could hardly see a thing in it at some parts, but that definitely wasn't a bad thing! The zone was definitely tight and at some points was a little hard to walk through so I would hate to see it when the park gets super packed in a  couple weeks.

Glad you liked it!  They are called Ghillies.

• Like 1

My favorite thing in this zone is the swamp looking thing that gnarls at you. I don't know what it is but the sound it makes is so hilarious.

There's so much cool props with the fog effect to take photos with but I left my camera at home and used my phone instead. It wasn't even worth the attempt. However because they don't turn out great and it's too fogged up to see, it does keep traffic flow moving.

Everyone was worried about this zone with the stage but Die In had it worse.

Did it sound like a duck call?

• Mark M. changed the title to Evil's Roots