First Halloween Horror Nights

107 members have voted

1. 1. What was your first year?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first trip to HHN was in 1999 and I was 7 years old. When I tell this story I usually have to follow that last bit with "yes, not only did I want to go, I begged to go. no my parents didn't know what they were, getting us into." and "no I don't resent them for it". Despite that, I'll admit it probably wasn't the best decision, as the event really is inapropriate for a child that age. I cried all night and begged not to go into another house, which was a mute point. We attended four of the five houses, missing only Doomsday (a fact I do regret, to this day). I remember very little from the event, this was nearly (basically) eleven years ago, but a few things do stand out in my head. The Psycho house is the only one that I can remember any detail from (and there arent many) the eyeball room and eyeball people were difficult to forget, as well as a room with heads hanging from the ceiling. There was also a show that traveled around the park on a truck, it was a Terra Throne/Arrival type show, where "drunken guests" (plants) were mutilated for the audience. I recall enjoying this show immensely, specifically because I could tell that it wasn't real. Overall I enjoyed the evening (except for sobbing in every house, and litterally sprinting out of The Mummy) and I blame my obsession with the event, and horror in general, on that night.

Its unfortunate that I didn't go back again until 2002, (and the main draw for me that year was that it was at IOA), however I've been going repeatedly ever since '02 and I'm happy to say that this will be year number 10 for me. It was a good feeling, being able to push the button in this thread that said "before 2000", and I'm happy to know that this year I'll have experienced half of hhn's history.

• 1 month later...

Ah, my first year..

Picture it, Hollywood, Studio City, October 2008! I ventured into the unknown horrors that was Halloween Horror Nights with two friends I actively played MMORPGs with! I had heard of HHN since 2006, but never had the bravery and money to go! But ah, 2008 was a year of change!

(You're supposed to be reading this in your mind with a very cheesy and over-enthusiastic voice)

We ventured into the house of horrors filled with.. The Strangers! We explored Krustyland and escaped Sideshow Bob! We rode the Mummy and escaped Imhotep's Curse and nearly dodged the teeth and claws of bloodthirsty dinosaurs!

And finally.. we came face to face with Leatherface in the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE MAZE!

scaredgirl.gif

I screamed! I shouted! I grabbed onto strangers in fear and apologized profusely! Leatherface was everywhere and the blaring chainsaw noises temporarily turned me into a madwoman!

How relieved I was to see the exit. I frantically rushed towards the exit only to be scared one last time at the Leatherface past the exit!

And then.. THE PIGS! Woo, they chased me good. I actually have some videos of me running for my life and screaming wildly, much to the entertainment of my friends. :blush:

We didn't get to do Freddy's maze.. my friends were too scared and I was personally too scared to go alone. :lol: As for Bill and Ted.. we didn't even know that the show was there! I'm personally kicking myself for not knowing because I've heard 2008 was the funniest year yet. But still, it really was a great night and was the spark that turned me into the HHN-obsessed nut I am today. <3

technically my first year was 2006, but I usually don't count that one. The reason why is because I went with a friend of mine and his dad who were going and they had invited me and I wanted to go but when we go there turns out my friends dad doesn't like waiting in any of the long lines for any of the houses so I didn't get to experience any of the houses that year. We spent the rest of the time going on the rides. I did get to go through all the scarezones, which still scared the crap out of me ( I was 12 at the time, now 16).It was still awesome and I probably wouldn't be so addicted and obsessed with it if not for that time. The next year, 20007, I convinced my mom to take me and we went one night and I went on most of the houses that year.In both 2008 and 2009 me, my mom, my dad, and my cousin all have bought frequent fear passes and have gone several times each year and done all the houses both years and we all enjoy it alot, with me being completely obsessed with it. Most likely we're gonna be buying Frequent fear plus passes this year, though we haven't yet. My mom probably won't be able to go as much as I want to cause of her work, but I'm gonna try to get my dad to take me up there every Friday or at least most of them.

Edited by ScottEdmondson41

HHN 16. I moved to Florida August 2006, I had already shown interest in the event. I saw the Travel Channel special in 2003 (I pretty much just watched Travel Channel then), and checked out the website. I want to say I checked out the website in 2005 as well. I hadn't forgotten about the event and when I moved here I was all sorts of interested. I went opening Saturday in 2006. Had an absolute blast. I loved the roaming Chainsaw Drill Team, Psycho: Through The Mind of Norman Bates was my favorite I got to see that night, I got to see Psycho, ScreamHouse, and All Night Die In that night. I liked it so much I came back in a couple of weeks and went again, that time I checked out PsychoScareapy (which ended up being my favorite house that year) amongst some other houses. That's pretty much my backstory. I liked it so much that I went twice in one year, and the next year I got my first Fear Pass, 2009 was my first year working and that's the way the cookie crumbled.

Edited by Jakemeister

My first year was 2008. I've lived in FL all my life and had actually been aware of the event since 2003.

I can still remember the day I found out about it (oddly enough). I was on a family vacation with my family to Universal studios and they had advertising up EVERYWHERE. I can still remember staring down the Director's face while standing on the people mover and wondering why on EARTH anybody would go somewhere to be scared on purpose. (I was 13 at the time xD)

In the years that followed and my unnatural obsession with all things creepy surfaced, I wanted to go. I really pushed to go in 07 (being the huge freddy freak I am) but the parent's wouldn't let me. However, for my eighteenth birthday, which falls on the week BEFORE HHN opening night, I finally got to go :D My first house was the Hollow(which scared me fourhundred times bigger than I thought would happen).

I went back in 09 and had the time of my life :]

I'll be attending AGAIN this year so HHN and I can share our 20th bday together <3 No better way to celebrate, if you ask me. :]

After looking back through Wikipedia, I've deduced that my first year was '98... I was too scared to go in the houses but me and my Dad walked the scarezones, knocked out a few rides and saw the Bill and Ted show - even though I was too young to get a lot of the humor I really liked it and that's what brought me back in 2000 and 2001. I got up the courage to go in The Mummy Returns house that year. Then I couldn't return until 2005, at which point we got the Frequent Fear and went about 4 times, so I went in every house once. That's when I fell in love with the event and I've been back every year since, doing every house.

It's tough to save up to fly over every year, especially recently, but it's always worth it.

My first year was 2008, my 18th Birthday. (OK, so my birthday was before I actually went, but still...me and HHN share the same birth year, so I thought I may as well celebrate both our 18 birthdays by goin). It was the first year I had actively followed the event for the first time (Although I had been interested in the event since the single digits, 2007 had been the first time I had considered goin). I had to do chores to make the money to go. The sweat and tears paid off cuz I had an absolute blast at the event and it jump-started an obsession that is still going strong to this day. My favorite house was Body Collectors because it was the one i got targeted the most in. My favorite scarezone was The Skoolhouse with that awesome extension where the street was lined with jack O' Lanterns. I'll still remember how thick the fog was near the end of the event...I got back to the hotel room smelling like HHN, it was neat. I've made a vow to go to every HHN since then, a vow I kept last year(First year I went with a friend, I got more scares 2009 due in part to the jumpiness of my friend...Was the first year a Chainsaw Wielding Maniac had targeted me and gave chase) and intend to keep this year as well.

Edited by cwoolboy

My first year was 1996 and have gone almost every year since. What an incredible journey it has been. I have been fortunate enough to have seen the event grow from both the front side and behind the scenes and have met so many great people because of it on both sides of the scare. It has been and will continue to be the one event I look forward to most each and every year

i had been meaning to go since 2006, but i was too ascared -.- in 2007 i changed my mind before buying the ticket >.< and then in 2008 i built up the courage to go, experienced it, lived it, had nightmares about it, and ended up pissed that i missed hhn16 and hhn17

• 2 weeks later...

My first year was 2009. I had been to HOS in 2007 or 2008 (whichever one was the Raven Twins), HOS was my first Halloween event ever. The Ripped From the Silver Screen theme looked pretty cool, so I decided to make a trip to HHN. I'm glad I did, it was a blast. Luckily when I went on Fri, Oct 30 last year, the lines weren't that bad. I got into Saw, Cleaver, and Frankenstein all in under 10 min waits. The others weren't that bad (20-30 min waits). After that night, I was addicted to HHN. :P I'm so glad I live close enough to Orlando that I can go to events like this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lurking_grue

My first year was 1997, the year I moved here. I was absolutely terrified, but I did force myself to go into one of the houses (I sure don't remember which one). Over the years I've loved it more and more, and while I had to miss a handful of years for financial reasons, I love attending every year I can, as often as I can. I'm blessed this year to have the FFPPE, and hitting both nights opening weekend.