First Halloween Horror Nights

107 members have voted

1. 1. What was your first year?

I'm almost ashamed to say it, but my first year was HHN18. I'd been following since 15, but I lived in England at the time and couldn't find a way to come down here. I was also younger at the time, and might have peed myself. Haha! XD

I would be ashamed if I had lived in England too. :lol:

But seriously, you should not be ashamed, we all have to start somewhere. We are just glad that you have found enjoyment in an event that many of us love very much!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our first year was HHN 15 (last at IOA) and even though some never liked it when it was there - that event sold us. Of course being our first time and not knowing what to expect we were laughing and being scared every foot of the way (in between cocktails!). Been to every one ('cept last year) since....though thats really 4 now and pales terribly in comparison with some of the folks around these parts.

I keep track of them by the Icons/Houses and my wife tracks the HHN's by the Drinks!

I only went through one house cause the other people I was with wouldn't go into them. It wascFrightantic and the level of detail to it absolutely amazed me. By the end of that night after watching one of the more cheesy (no I don't remember which one) I was hooked.

S.S.Frightantic Is one... err two of my favorite houses of all time. I still think it was awesome how they had 1 ship and two houses running through it and when you walked in you could see the people walking in for the other house on the other "dock". I loved the dead Kate and Jack on the Bow too. My only problem was all the water. I slipped in it and fell. Had a wet butt... but no harm no foul. I miss the risks they used to take in the old days.

S.S.Frightantic Is one... err two of my favorite houses of all time. I still think it was awesome how they had 1 ship and two houses running through it and when you walked in you could see the people walking in for the other house on the other "dock". I loved the dead Kate and Jack on the Bow too. My only problem was all the water. I slipped in it and fell. Had a wet butt... but no harm no foul. I miss the risks they used to take in the old days.

The S.S. Frightanic was an amazing house! I agree JW, I miss the little risks they took in the old days to really amp up the ambiance of the houses and SZ. Another example is keeping the Midway of the Bizarre over in Amity and pumping in so much fog that you couldn't see a foot in front of you. Sure you ran into people and inantimate objects walking through there and couldn't catch your breath because of the sheer volume of fog...but THAT is what made it so much fun!

I kind of feel like Skynet when I start talking about my first HHN. The first year I became aware of HHN was 2002, and my ex and I were taking my son to IOA for the first time for his birthday because he was a Spiderman NUT. We walked over the night before and saw the fog rolling over the bridge as soon as you walked over it from Citywalk. There was a preacher outside telling people not to go in and his followers were all tore up and bloody and just whacked out. It was great.

2003 was the first year I went in and wow. I was drunk in the first five minutes, and didnt know anything about any of it. I just knew it looked cool and I wanted in.

We did Disorientorium and I loved it.

I think that was also the year of Vampyre, Hellgate and one of my favs, Terror in Wax.

The fog was my favorite part. It was like Pea soup! It was great.

I'm now a loyal devotee and took my son to his first in 2008, he had to skip 2009 because we took him to HOS in tampa and VA, and did several local haunts. But this year he wants to go for his birthday. He'll be 13, so gotta do it.

Now one thing I kick myself in the ass for is Bill and Ted. I didnt see my first show until 2006...and to think I missed two years of it.

I was drunk in the first five minutes, and didnt know anything about any of it. I just knew it looked cool and I wanted in.

The fog was my favorite part. It was like Pea soup! It was great.

LOL...it's funny how so many people say that about their first experience at HHN..."I drank so much the first five minutes, I forget what happened!" LOL ;)

And the fog equating pea soup...that was always the very BEST!!!

My first year was 2007 - Carnival of Carnage. I've been going to Universal since the year they opened the gates but somehow managed to stay in the dark about the event until then.

I actually read about HHN on Screamscape <gasp> sometime that summer when the first spoilers were posted and booked a quick trip to see what it was all about. Now we're hooked and go every year.

Last year I ended up going for two event weeks (once mid-October and the last week), every night of the event from open 'til close. All that walking led to a stress fracture in my knee once I got home so I had two weeks of walking on crutches along with some great meds to recover! I'm already training for this year... if they have 10 houses I'm going to need it.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so, HHN18.

For the past years before that I'd been following the lore online, but was too much of a pussy to go.

But, goddamnit, Bloody Mary was so awesome, I just COULDN'T stay out.

So, I went with my dad. And, it was one of the greatest nights of my life. No shit. :3

• 2 weeks later...

Even though i lived in Florida I never went while I lived there. On one of m Trips down to see friends we were going to go to IOA but in True Florida fashion in rained heavily. So when the sun came out around noon we decided to go to HHN since we were already in our hotel. That was the year of The Director (HHN 12?) and I have only missed HHN 15 since.(went to HOS instead. This year will be my first year going down just for HHN!

My first was Fright Nights in 1991 and have gone back ever since.

This puts me in a special club along with Hush and jwfearman and a few others.

But to most of you I suppose it simply means that I am old.

Jimmy,

That just means that we are old but very fortunate old people to have been enjoying the event since it's inception! ;) (Sometimes age has it's advantages...LOL)

REALLY looking forward to seeing you this year Jimmy!!! :D

My first year was in 1998.. wow I thought it was 2000.. but after talking to my mom.. it was '98. I was a sophomore in high school, and my mom took me a friend of mine with us.. I have gone every year except 2005. As said as it is to say this.. 2007 was the first year I went into the houses. I went 8 years without ever stepping foot in a house. Yes, I was too terrified to go into a house. I hung out in the scarezones all night long. Yes, I do still get scared going into HHN... I do scare easily.. so I tend to get a little liquid courage before I enter the park or right after I get in to help me a long.

1993, I was only 9 years old and my parents didnt know it was more of an adult event. Addicted ever since. :)

That's cool! Not even knowing it, your parents did you a huge favor by taking you that year! LOL ;)

I've gone every year since the very first Fright Nights in 1991. I worked the event as a guest services coordinator for four years as well. Have to say, it's much more fun being a guest than it is dealing with people the entire night...LOL

This year will be my 20th year, which just means that I'm 20 years older than I was the first time I attended...now THAT is scary! ;)

Been going since 97 when this one dragged me there. Havent regretted it yet.

To be Honest When HHN Started as Fright Nights (At Least i think that was the name) I could never get time off work to go. At the time i was the acting manager of a kiosk in sears and only had one other employee. Which meant I only got one day off a week and if said other employee wanted off i had to work 13 days in a row. So I never got to go to HHN until I moved to Tennessee. Since I was on Vacation I got to go. But as i said in my earlier post I went to HHN due to Heavy Thunderstorms that hit the day we were going to IOA. And Bingo I was Hooked. I lived in Florida for 29 years. Yes I am that old. But Halloween is my Favorite time of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

2006. As a kid, I was always scared of going. My first encounter with a screamer at about 12 or 13 didn't help my psyche much. I got my nerves up in 2004, but the hurricanes wrecked our roof and flooded our backyard, so we had to miss HHN that year (my mom was working at Universal, so she got to experience it, but with the repairs and time needed to fix everything we couldn't afford a ticket, much less the time to go). By the time 2005 rolled around, my fear had returned and I missed it as well. Both years, however, I spent a good deal of time on the website, reading over the house and scarezone descriptions and filler material. I'm 14 by now, and Sweet 16 pops up.

It took my mom a lot of convincing to get me to go. Eventually I promised to just go in one house to see if I liked it. I had done a lot of research on previous years before going in, including the 2002 documentary, and I had heard that Screamhouse had been very popular. I went into Screamhouse: Resurrection. As soon as I got out, I practically ran to get back in line and go through again.

I went through All-Nite Die In: Take 2, and the rest is history. We got a Frequent Fear Pass for that year and all subsequent years, and 2010 will be my fifth year. I'm currently the most educated on HHN in my entire school (once very easily pointing out a bullshitter who claimed to have gone in 2004 but didn't even remember how dead IOA was) and got my girlfriend addicted as well.

My first year was '98. I was 18 and it was my first trip without my parents. I went with my hubby-to-be (we've been together forever), my friend and her boyfriend. The things that stick out for me are:

The streets - they seemed packed with scareactors. This year seemed to bring back that first feeling I had.

The CDT - They are what made me addicted. Watching them heard the crowds and clear the streets for the parade was a very beautiful site.

The Parade - Loved it!!!! Miss it!!!! Want it to come back.

The Midway - My first scarezone, my favorite scarezone. The atmospere was perfect. The scareactors were on their game. You could barely see the hand in front of your face. Shaker cans!!!

Scrapers - The scrapers some scareactors had are something I still miss. They always make me jump.

I only went through one house cause the other people I was with wouldn't go into them. It wascFrightantic and the level of detail to it absolutely amazed me. By the end of that night after watching one of the more cheesy (no I don't remember which one) I was hooked.

98' was my first year as well and everything you touched on are the things that I can remember that made it what is was, Amazing. I was 8 and I can remember everything being so damn scary. I miss everything form that year, the difference in hhn form 98' to when I finally made it back in 04' was so surprising. I don't know if was because I was older or what, but that atmosphere was not as pungent with fear, it was more of a party type feeling. In 98' sure there where shows but the streets weren't safe feeling, between the CDT and the Scrapers it was scary just walking around. It don't feel that anymore, the originality as seem to be lost in the events early years. I really hope it comes back after this 20th reunion .