First Halloween Horror Nights

107 members have voted

1. 1. What was your first year?

My First time going to Halloween horror nights was when Universal hosted it at IOA back in 2002. But before that i have always wanted to go, but my parents thought i was too young. Any who i went with a large group(Palm beach county Sheriffs Explorers) and got to the event on a Friday at 6:30--it was more packed then Mary's Vaginal walls at this years Reflection of Fear house, i only got to do 3 houses that night(like i said it was packed) with the lines being an hour and a half long. But what i remember most from this event is the beginning where you walk in.....to this date(i only went 04, 06,07,08) they have never had such an awesome Entrance! But little did i know that, that night would create a new Addiction for me that would last is gonna last forever, or at least till HHN is no more :)......

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first year was '98. I was 18 and it was my first trip without my parents. I went with my hubby-to-be (we've been together forever), my friend and her boyfriend. The things that stick out for me are:

The streets - they seemed packed with scareactors. This year seemed to bring back that first feeling I had.

The CDT - They are what made me addicted. Watching them heard the crowds and clear the streets for the parade was a very beautiful site.

The Parade - Loved it!!!! Miss it!!!! Want it to come back.

The Midway - My first scarezone, my favorite scarezone. The atmospere was perfect. The scareactors were on their game. You could barely see the hand in front of your face. Shaker cans!!!

Scrapers - The scrapers some scareactors had are something I still miss. They always make me jump.

I only went through one house cause the other people I was with wouldn't go into them. It wascFrightantic and the level of detail to it absolutely amazed me. By the end of that night after watching one of the more cheesy (no I don't remember which one) I was hooked.

My first HHN was in 2003. ever since, i've been going to HHN and i ended up having some first achievements for each year. here's the list:

2003: First HHN attended

2004: First Stay 'n Scream

2005: First solo trip to HHN

2006: First "Operation: Lone Mouse" Trip (the first time i attended while wearing a mickey mouse hat for the purpose of being a target for the scareactors)

2007: First HHN which involved attending all of the houses including one house being entered multiple times (i went to Vampyr: Blood Bath 5 times)

2008: First HHN to have all houses visited in 2 hours or less, first HHN which introduced Pal Mickey (again, this was to become a scareactor target), First HHN which involved purchasing all of the shirts, etc.

My first year was 2004, the year that Halloween Horror Nights was held in both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studio's under the moto "what's your breaking point?". I first noticed that the event even existed from a small advertising poster in a hotel lobby.

I'm not going to get into some huge, long chapter about the night, but all I have to say is that it was amazing.

My first house was Horror In Wax, quite fitting that Frankenstein, The Mummy, Dracula etc. were the first horror icons I ever faced at the event, the streets were pretty busy and I was petrified of all the chainsaws...especially after Horror Nights Nightmare's which had me running halfway down the street at the young age of...13, I'd say :)

• 3 months later...

HHN 18 was my first and i got to say IM HOOKED when i walked out i was already to come back for HHN19.i got there like at 5:00 and did everthing but the hollow.i rode all the rides did the mummy twice.my favriote house was body colletors,fyi i seen hulk and nick going in BC as i was coming out.i had a very very good time well worth the 40 bucks for the ticket.i will be reattending again this year.

HOPE TO SEE SOME OF YOU GUYS THERE!!!

Our first year was 2002, HHN 12 (Caretaker). One of the best years IMO, maybe due to the fact it was my first year attending.. but the atmosphere was awesome, and the crowds were a little less back then. IOA had that special feeling to it, however couldn't handle the crowds HHN gets now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first year was 2002 and I was 9 years old. I didn't know what HHN was, and when my dad asked me if I wanted go one day I was like sure, why not. I really didn't have a clue what it was going to be like, but I thought it was the coolest thing ever. My first house ever was Fear Factor.. which did completely suck, but a good warming up house for a 9 year old. XD We only did Fear Factor, Scary Tales, Screamhouse, and saw Bill and Ted. I remember being confused as to why there were people looking up the Power Puff Girls' skirts. haha. I also thought they were actually killing people in the front of the park, so I was so scared to go watch the sacrifices cause I didn't want them to pick me.. my dad never said it was fake. He never said it was real, but he never said it was fake either. Also, Treaks and Foons = Heaven for a 9 year old. Yay foam!

I then cried the next year that I couldn't go to due to financial issues, but I've been from 14 on. :)

I also thought they were actually killing people in the front of the park, so I was so scared to go watch the sacrifices cause I didn't want them to pick me.. my dad never said it was fake. He never said it was real, but he never said it was fake either.

LOL. Your dad is so mean! (;

2002 was my first year. I went with a boyfriend, and I was going to leave because I was so scared. He convinced me to ride the Hulk before we left. I got brave enough to stay, and I'm glad I did. I still get scared, but I think I've toughened up a bit from going so much. I went once in 2002 and 2003, five times in 2004, 15+ time in 2005, 2006, and 2008, and three times in 2007.

• 1 month later...

But now in your signature, it says you first went in 2000. XD Do you remember if Jack was the icon or not when you went?

I know.

I went back into my shoebox today.

I found all my tickets from each year which I always keep.

lol

Now it's all correct.

It was earlier than I thought.

:0

• 4 months later...

Interesting idea Quicksilver. Yep, my first year of HHN was 1998 and Primal Scream. My brother, sister and I were in town for a regular theme park vacation and just happened to visit Uni on a Saturday. We had to go to guest services for something and the rep asked us if we would like to stay for Halloween. We just looked at each other and the rep said we could stay for an upgraded ticket price I think that it was like $16 back then for HHN. so we did and we were hooked. 12 years later and I call myself a Hallween Horror Nights junkie. Oh, if we visited Uni on an HHN off night or did not visit guest services on that day I wonder if things would have been different for me and my love for all things HHN. Can't wait to go on the 18th!

F.U.B.A.R.

I actually went to the original fright nights and I just turned 24 on Tuesday. However, I didn't start going every year untill 2000. That was the year I finally had someone old enough to drive me to the event and I was hooked right away!!! I loved every minute of it and have gone every year since. It's funny, because two years ago, I was diagnosed with a rare life threatening blood illness and was in the hospital for two months straight. And one of my biggest concerns that year was wondering if I would be healthy enough to go to the event. Luckily, I made it! It was extemely difficult for me to walk around that much, but I managed. I had so much fun that year and I now view that year as my favorite of all time! The saddest day of the year, for me, is the last day of HHN!!!

• 3 months later...

I've gone every year since the very first Fright Nights in 1991. I worked the event as a guest services coordinator for four years as well. Have to say, it's much more fun being a guest than it is dealing with people the entire night...LOL

This year will be my 20th year, which just means that I'm 20 years older than I was the first time I attended...now THAT is scary! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The first I went to was Carnival of Carnage. It was my first EVER going to something like that. I fell in love. The costumes, make-up, props, everything was amazing to see.

Dinah,

It sounds like you caught the HHN bug that year! ;) That was a good first year to experience the event too!

• 2 weeks later...

While my first year actually attending the event was in '04, I consider myself to have attended '03. Since I was not able to go in '03, I poured over the website and anything from the internet that I could get my hands until I had memorized it. I guess it was out of fear that I might go insane the next year, that my parents caved in and took me.... so much for that plan! ;)