Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure

Mark M.

Just saw the show for the 2nd time last night. I still don't think it's the best BnT I've seen, but the plot is the best they've had in the last several years (Kanye West trying to become pop culture God? F-in perfect!). The Bill and Ted are always spot-on (I swear they are always the same two actors playing the roles most years I've seen it. Can anyone confirm?), and I really enjoyed the guy that plays Shia, The son from Vacation, , and Bruce Banner/The Hulk. I don't recall seeing him in any of the previous years' shows and he feels brand new, but by God does he throw himself into each of his roles with a passion. He's easily one of my favorite parts of the show this year (Well, that The Delorean entrance, Bill and Ted themselves, the few jokes about the show, and the Thriller finale. I still feel the weakest part is the Filibusters sequence). I would personally love to meet the cast (or at least nab pics with some of them), does anyone know if there is a way this could happen?

• Like 1

Just saw the show for the 2nd time last night. I still don't think it's the best BnT I've seen, but the plot is the best they've had in the last several years (Kanye West trying to become pop culture God? F-in perfect!). The Bill and Ted are always spot-on (I swear they are always the same two actors playing the roles most years I've seen it. Can anyone confirm?), and I really enjoyed the guy that plays Shia, The son from Vacation, , and Bruce Banner/The Hulk. I don't recall seeing him in any of the previous years' shows and he feels brand new, but by God does he throw himself into each of his roles with a passion. He's easily one of my favorite parts of the show this year (Well, that The Delorean entrance, Bill and Ted themselves, the few jokes about the show, and the Thriller finale. I still feel the weakest part is the Filibusters sequence). I would personally love to meet the cast (or at least nab pics with some of them), does anyone know if there is a way this could happen?

If you're REALLY lucky and wait by the side of the theater sometimes you can get a quick picture with them, but keep it short as you're cutting into their break time between shows. 

The guy that played Shia played him last year too. A lot of the actors are the same from last year.

The only weak points of the show for me this year are the Filibusters sequence and the finale (probably only because the last 2 were damn near perfect; makes it hard to live up to em). Other than that I love it. 2013/2014 were better, but this year's show is plenty hilarious. High amount of Disney jabs, funny plot, great jokes, great cast. Will probably see it nightly here on out.

We've seen it each of the five nights we've attended so far. It's a really strong show this year and improves each time as they tweak everything. Sunday night was really jarring because we had a different Bill S. Preston. He did a great job, but it was just so strange. It seems like it's always been the same two guys since I started going in 2001.

As others had said, the Melissa McCarthy into Filibusters section of the show is pretty bad, but nearly everything else is great. We especially love the Back to the Future portion, that guy's Doc Brown impersonation is incredible and the use of the musical queue from the movie is absolutely genius. Bruce Banner's "I'm always Horny!" dance is another highlight.

The stuff that usually makes us laugh hardest is the small stuff happening in the background. Bill and Ted taking turns mirroring the main dance routines (especially Ted doing the Black Widow's dance) is impressive and hilarious. The slow motion cheerleaders during "Smells Like Teen Spirit" usually leave me in tears (especially the Grizwald dad, he nails it every time). Bill and Hillary, in their dance section at the end, the facial expressions and things they do with  their characters is great.

We'll definitely be seeing this show every night we are there, and I'm looking forward to attending a final show for the first time.

Edited by Primusjim
add spoiler tags
  • Like 1

why is it that the Jack show has better, funnier jokes than this show does?
i know it is just my opinion, but every time I see the Jack show I always end up laughing. Not just because i like jack, but the jokes are just... better. 
Bill and Ted focuses on celebrity name calling and pointing out the obvious, and Jack's delivery is probably part of why I find that show so funny.

But just thinking about the jokes right now, they are just funnier... (I dont know if they have different scripts or if Jack improvises, but there have been a couple of jokes that Jack did about the audience that had me laughing really hard) 

every time I see the Jack show there is a new little joke or comment that is hilarious, while every time I see the Bill and Ted show it just gets lamer and lamer (I repeat it because the dance number at the end is pretty cool this year) 

I used to think that bill and Ted was the way it was just because that's the nature of Park shows, they aren't very funny in general. I started to even accept the fact that bill and ted could never be truly funny. 
but Jack's show obviously throws that notion out of the window, and Jack's show is not even MEANT to mainly be a comedy show.... it's also a gory show, Even chance is funnier than bill and ted. her jokes don't change (like Jack does) but they are funny
what gives? who wrote the Jack show? how much improv is there in the Jack show? is the fact that bill and ted's focus on celebrity name dropping and pointing out the obvious what makes the show never be as funny? Does Uni stop the writer of Bill and Ted from making dark humor jokes? or offensive jokes (Jack's show is definitely a little more offensive than Bill and Ted) whats the deal? 

what gives? who wrote the Jack show? how much improv is there in the Jack show? is the fact that bill and ted's focus on celebrity name dropping and pointing out the obvious what makes the show never be as funny? Does Uni stop the writer of Bill and Ted from making dark humor jokes? or offensive jokes (Jack's show is definitely a little more offensive than Bill and Ted) whats the deal? 

They probably treat B&T with white gloves because they already lost it in Hollywood and don't want to lose it in Orlando. I would imagine the insane amount of pressure placed on the writer and director to not offend anyone as to lose the last Bill and Ted show either coast has. Also they decided to cut Rocky Horror and had the Bayou fiasco last year with things being "too risqué" "too gory" by oversensitive people who think this is like Not So Scary and Spooktacular which are other local parks halloween events. It's obvious they are still treading lightly as a whole to not have to pull anything from the event for being "too much" in any form. 

• Like 1

yeah I understand that, definitely understand the being careful part, which makes me wonder If jacks show is funny due to how insulting it is... I didn't think of that, does it make me laugh because it is more edgy? I don't know, maybe.

which makes me wonder if shows can only be funny if they are like that. I don't know, I think u can make a funny show without cursing or being too insulting.

I honestly think Jacks show is funny just because it speaks to us in all of our complaints about the event. It very subtlety bashes the event or at least what has become of it. We all share the same thoughts for the most part so we "get" it. Everyone here may not get pop culture. But everyone here does get the event. 

I'm not a horror fanatic. I like that Bill and Ted offers something different for me to enjoy. However it's almost so watered down that they can just take out fear factor and run Bill and Ted 365/year. Keep the clothes on the actors and it's a pretty done deal really.

I'm the target audience for the show so I understood all of the references easily and I really really enjoyed the show yet I understand how someone cannot. A lot of references I knew many people wouldn't get from the minute I heard them. Basically this show was just a tumblr feed.. You had to be in with the fandom to get most of it OR you had to be an Orlando local. This limits the target audience significantly when it comes to understanding the references. 

Edited by MissBA
  • Like 1

They probably treat B&T with white gloves because they already lost it in Hollywood and don't want to lose it in Orlando. I would imagine the insane amount of pressure placed on the writer and director to not offend anyone as to lose the last Bill and Ted show either coast has. Also they decided to cut Rocky Horror and had the Bayou fiasco last year with things being "too risqué" "too gory" by oversensitive people who think this is like Not So Scary and Spooktacular which are other local parks halloween events. It's obvious they are still treading lightly as a whole to not have to pull anything from the event for being "too much" in any form. 

Wait, is that really the reason we didn't get Rocky for the 40th anniversary? That bites.

Wait, is that really the reason we didn't get Rocky for the 40th anniversary? That bites.

New Show (Jacks), Complaints, Venue about to be possibly demolished for a new ride. Rocky was stuck between a rock and a hard place. They do Rocky at Citywalk often so it's probably not a major loss to them to pull it from the park when you still have an opportunity to see it right outside the gates if the timing is right. (in fact there's showing this weekend and next)

Also with that new Fast and Furious ride announcement Beetlejuice and the show venue is on it's last leg. I think it's good for the actors of the show that has been there to be able to continue to perform during the daytime since their days are numbered. Disaster was already closed before the event began. :( 

Though thinking about it; we probably will not get another Jack show next year unless they pull him to be an icon...again.. And we won't have the beetlejuice venue. All that will be left is presumably Bill and Ted. I wonder how that'll work out since I imagine all of the show budget and attention will be placed on them. If they return, which I do hope so because I still loved the show this year.

Edited by MissBA
  • Like 1

I'm starting to feel my age, and I'm only in my early 30s. The stuff I recognized was all annoying garbage. Melissa McCarthy isn't funny - she's damaging. She's another character that promotes the stereotype that all fat people are gross and clumsy. None of this was funny. If I had to choose a line ..... It would be the one where they say Clinton and Bush are running and there's a Jurassic park movie in the theaters............ That was funny but obvious.

I'm just reminded of what Norm told one of the contestants on one of the Last Comic Standing seasons when she made a Kardashian/West joke. He was like "You live in a different place - let other comedians do that." It's hack comedy. It's the Lewinsky joke of today (btw this damn stupid show had a Lewinsky joke in it).

"OK, grumplepuss," you say. "You can't go in to b&t and expect smart. It's supposed to be dumb." 

You're right, imaginary person!!!! And that's why I still go at all ...........................

But then they did "Smells Like Teen Spirit." With the wrong kind of guitar. He was holding it left-handed but I think the research stopped there. The thought of this wouldn't make Kurt turn over IN his grave, it made him turn over IN TO his grave. That wasn't right. And not because he's dead - I actually thought that segment could've been really clever but .......... No. You can't put an "nnTT nnTT nnTT nnTT" club beat behind that song and make it a pop song with lots of smiling happy people bouncing around making jokes and stuff ..............

In short, this show killed Kurt Cobain. Not excellent. 

• Like 2

The last line of your post is golden. Though I don't remember them turning smells like teen spirit into a club beat. You should also be praising the musical and dance numbers because they're the best part of the show. Like I said in my review, almost all jokes either fell flat or were old and aren't funny. I don't get the norm quote you used while I am writing this but, the Kardashian jokes they made were very unfunny, like i said, these are old jokes and have no place in a pop culture show in 2015. Don't even get me started on the Justin Bieber joke, what is this 2011

• Like 1

They're not even dated... They're just ......... Lewinsky jokes. They're airplane food jokes. They're .... They're hack jokes. I can understand them on a late night talk show, but they have a year to write this. Maybe it's in my head, but it seems like the show wasn't always 100% "Topical" (if "Der Kanye is full of himself" or "LOL Justin Bieber is feminine" is topical...). 

Musical and dance ... I can't praise it, because I wouldn't participate in that show in any capacity if I knew about the Teen Spirit thing. If I knew that was going to happen, I wouldn't have even gone in. I would've let my friends go and sat outside listening to the real song lol ... It wasn't a club beat, I guess, but go listen to the song and compare it to The Nonexistent Recordings That Are Not Out There of the same thing in the show. 

I'm good with tasteless too, mind you, and it's damn near impossible to offend me. But... to make another comedy reference.... Jim Norton was talking about how people were offended about the mosque at ground Zero and he said "Just because it's legal to put a condom machine in a rape crisis center doesn't mean you should."

There's a difference between overly sensitive (YOU PC, BRO??????) and being not stupid. That Whory performance was the exact type of thing Kurt killed himself over, so it was picking an old wound for some of us. After that I honestly felt more like crying than laughing, and I already spent the prior eight or nine hours of the show not feeling like laughing.... Wait, it wasn't nine hours? Huh. Seemed like it. 

I cry when angels deserve to die. 

• Like 1

There's a difference between overly sensitive (YOU PC, BRO??????) and being not stupid. That Whory performance was the exact type of thing Kurt killed himself over, so it was picking an old wound for some of us. After that I honestly felt more like crying than laughing, and I already spent the prior eight or nine hours of the show not feeling like laughing.... Wait, it wasn't nine hours? Huh. Seemed like it. 

I cry when angels deserve to die. 

God forbid anyone dance to Smells like Teen Spirit. It wasn't a pop version of it. Lets lock the song up so no one can listen to it again unless they get all depressed and cry. 

It's a good song, dance numbers were on point. Sorry but I don't get all sad and depressed about Kurt Cobain when I hear the song or any Nirvana song. And to say this type of "whory" performance was the type of thing Kurt killed himself over is a bit of an over exaggerated stretch............................... I think you lost all credibility of not being overly sensitive with that line. That's a bit over the top thing to say in response to a dance number. 

• Like 2

That Whory performance was the exact type of thing Kurt killed himself over

Dude what the fuck are you talking about, how was it whory. I remember them putting the spotlight on bill and ted and the Cobain actor playing the song, not dancing. And you spent alot of your post talking about not being pc, but you get offended by this stupid shit. Kurt killed himself over 20 years ago, get over it.

• Like 3

Ummmm, yeah.  Someone going a little too deep into that rabbit hole. 

So in 12 years of going to HHN, I've been to just 2 B&T shows with my 2nd being this year.  Not a show person so it's a more me and not them type thing.  Though it sounds like it's a pretty flat year anyway.  I didn't mind the Jack show except I thought it went on a little too long.

Can anyone tell me what types of things go down on the very last B&T show of the season?  I hear that's worthwhile to see.  I've also heard there may be special guests for each of the final shows?  Any truth to that?

• Like 1

Not going to waste my time teaching music history here since it's o/t anyway. If you are confused about whether Kurt Cobain would be okay with this, I invite you to read his Journals (available on Amazon!) or .... Well, just about anything he's ever said/written or sang.

As far as taking a song and re-purposing it with a different tone ... That's irrelevant - it's the content of the song and the context around it that makes turning into a dance-pop number uncool. All the dubstep versions of Fur Elise aren't offending anybody (besides people with ears) because Beethoven wasn't like "One of the main things that defines me is my extreme hatred for dubstep. In fact, it killed me." 

Re: saying it was 20 years ago and get over it, if I got on stage and did an awful painting of the Mona Lisa in my own feces, would you still be cool with that? Time is irrelevant. We're talking about art. And there was no hint of irony to this performance. 

That's all I'm going to say about that on this board. Message me if you want to keep talking about it. I can definitely prove to you that Kurt was anti-commercial if you want quotes - his Journals are on a bookshelf in my bedroom and his lyrics are pretty much all in my head. It's just o/t here at this point. If all else fails just take it as one guy's opinion shared on the place where opinions are shared. 

So, what I actually wanted to say ... Was that I saw it on the last night two different years. Both times it was the same : the front half-or-so was cordoned off for VIPs and there was ... Applause at the end. I will say, though, that I haven't ever seen the LAST LAST LAST LAST show of any event (as in, the last one of the night), so YMMV.

Oh my fucking God dude. To restate myself, what the fuck are you talking about. you feel the need to argue Kurt Cobain was anti commercial even though no one here said he was. And you proved me right saying they didn't turn Smells alike Teen Spirit into a pop song. That point is so retarded. Just because it's at Bill and Teds, makes it a dance pop number. That entire segment was just about honoring the dead. And what are you talking about irony in the performance, no one brought that up either, but you feel you have to mention it. That whole statement was also dumb. What does someone killing themselves and making a Mona Lisa knockoff in you own shit have to do with each other. I'm going to leave this alone now because it's like arguing with someone who isn't paying any attention 

• Like 1

Not going to waste my time teaching music history here since it's o/t anyway. If you are confused about whether Kurt Cobain would be okay with this, I invite you to read his Journals (available on Amazon!) or .... Well, just about anything he's ever said/written or sang.

As far as taking a song and re-purposing it with a different tone ... That's irrelevant - it's the content of the song and the context around it that makes turning into a dance-pop number uncool. All the dubstep versions of Fur Elise aren't offending anybody (besides people with ears) because Beethoven wasn't like "One of the main things that defines me is my extreme hatred for dubstep. In fact, it killed me." 

Re: saying it was 20 years ago and get over it, if I got on stage and did an awful painting of the Mona Lisa in my own feces, would you still be cool with that? Time is irrelevant. We're talking about art. And there was no hint of irony to this performance. 

That's all I'm going to say about that on this board. Message me if you want to keep talking about it. I can definitely prove to you that Kurt was anti-commercial if you want quotes - his Journals are on a bookshelf in my bedroom and his lyrics are pretty much all in my head. It's just o/t here at this point. If all else fails just take it as one guy's opinion shared on the place where opinions are shared. 

So, what I actually wanted to say ... Was that I saw it on the last night two different years. Both times it was the same : the front half-or-so was cordoned off for VIPs and there was ... Applause at the end. I will say, though, that I haven't ever seen the LAST LAST LAST LAST show of any event (as in, the last one of the night), so YMMV.

I did the show twice... there is no beat when the Nirvana song plays. it is just the regular song playing. it is playing really loud. 

I think you got confused with just the regular drums the original song has, maybe the volume of the song made you hear a "Beat" that wasn't there. but yeah, I even asked my friends and people around and she was like "wtf are you talking about? what beat?"  the song plays the same way it has always played. there is no difference (The only difference is the fireworks going off at the end) 

the song was used as a tribute, it wasn't a commercial selling hamburgers. It wasn't even used to sell HHN tickets or to even sell merchandise (There is not even Bill and Ted Merchandise for sale, not even that)  it was used for a fun tribute to music in general. they had songs from different eras playing, from different artists and actors playing them. 

it wasn't a commercial thing, it definitely wasn't. the nirvana song wasn't even the main song of the show, it wasn't even the final song of the show, the show closes with Thriller. I really cannot see what you are taking about

Edited by clash
  • Like 1

A note to Universal: Kick me out of an ADA section entirely "reserved" for seemingly random people one more time and see what happens.

Do it.

Do you know what ADA is? If it was reserved then it was reserved. Mostly for people with disabilities and not all disabilities are visible to the naked eye. How about just sit somewhere that isn't reserved or have yourself one of their disability passes or a wheelchair and they'll let you sit in an ADA section that isn't reserved yet or try to make similar accommodations elsewhere so you may enjoy the show. It seems like you make a habit of this with "one more time".....

And Clash speaks the truth. If anything I thought Amy Winehouse was "too soon" But then again it's been 4 years which is longer than I thought. It really seems like just last year. Either way at the end of the day I enjoyed the show and went on my way.