HHNH Planning & Insider Tips (The 2015 Edition)

I wouldn't say eeeeeeeverything.  There's a sign that says Walking Dead, Insidious, Halloween, and Jabbawockeez. From what I know, TITE didn't open until 7ish when I went. And the backlot trams I think didn't start running until 6:50ish. But I mean, if you're in early entry, to be near any of the regular hour mazes at 7 on the dot, you sure have quite a headstart compared to the people just coming in after opening scaramonies.

I first want to thank DTH316 for posting the very useful tips and strategy...

Your tips and strategy guide for early entry were field tested by us on our very first time to HHN on Thursday, Oct 15 and totally nailed it!

Let me begin by saying if anyone is going and not doing early entry AND using your strategy or one amended based upon current situations…..you must be the person that takes the day off work just so you can “cruise” on the 405 on your way to the 101!

Ok, we had a bit of overkill with arriving at Universal parking by 11:30AM, but that’s another story, once the security railing and metal detectors started going up, we immediately commenced “loitering” just outside the parameter at about 2:45PM.

We ended up being number 7 and 8 in line outside the rails before they were even letting people officially line up. 4PM and they let us line up just before the metal detectors and we are numbers 1 and 2 in our queue.

4:45PM security arrives and announcements made about emptying your pockets etc., and here’s my tip and what we did….

We pulled out our wallets, phones, keys, and removed our belts early, because immediately at 4:55…. they open security and we walked right through, we were prepared so security check was instant.

**BTW they made an announcement that Walking Dead would be open at 5:45PM, Insidious at 6:00PM and everything else at 6:30PM**

4:57PM we are at gate and tickets scanned.(next to last gate at right….but it looked like any of the gates on the right area were open and ready.

Were in and get wrist bands, we quickly work our way through the meandering crowds and directly to bathrooms for pre scare potty break and then we head to Walking Dead where they are not open because it’s only about 5:20PM, but we are allowed to que up, we are number 9 and 10 in line, maze opened just about 5:40ish.

We queued up just a hair early for Insidious (about 5:55), after that maze, none of the other mazes were open yet so water break and then we queue up for This is The end (about 15 minute wait because they weren’t open yet)

By 7:17PM we had finished Walking Dead, Insidious, This is The End, and taken the tram to and completed AVP and Crimson Peak!

Drink and bathroom break and then off to Terror Tram.

8:20PM and Terror Tram done so off we go to head to Halloween with a wait time of 50min.

9:15pm and we completed ALL mazes and Tram!!

We then hit all the scare zones, ate dinner, hung out and re did Halloween (35min wait), and the re did AVP (30min wait).

We wanted to redo Walking Dead at this point, but wait times kept fluctuating between 80 to 120 minutes, so we bailed at 12:30AM.

Based on the crowds we saw streaming in after 7PM, and how backed up the lines got after 9PM.....there is NO WAY we would have been able to do everything without torturous lines and staying till close, and even then that would be a maybe.

Using your guide we did it!! Thanks a million and we ain't telling no one, we're keeping it a secret ;)

• Like 1

Your stories are why myself and the rest of the group here try our best to give the most comprehensive Planning & Insider Tips around! We know this could be hell for anyone trying to accomplish everything at HHNH, ESPECIALLY first-timers. Glad it all worked out. Post a review!!! :)

• Like 1

In order, here's what I and 2 of my friends got done with Early Entry and NO Front of the Line Pass. This was our first trip this year. May be going next Thursday with free tickets USC is providing my dorm's floor. Also the USC tv station thing I work at (TrojanVision) may be interviewing John Murdy at Universal on Wednesday and if we do, I'll be there for that. Anyways, here's the list with a quick review for that specific run through next to it. 

1. Walking Dead (30 minute wait since it was closed): The outdoor light from it being 5:40pm hurt the first part of the maze in Terminus. But overall, it was seriously awesome and terrifying, especially the scene outside the church. My 2nd favorite maze this year. (A) Edit: Got to see Eric Stonestreet from Modern Family get filmed leaving the maze and getting chased by a swarm of walkers.

2. Insidious (10 minute wait): This was insane. The Man Who Can't Breathe scenes were constantly scary, especially the room with the hanging clothes if you know what I'm talking about. It was so detailed and beautiful and scary all at the same time. My favorite maze of the year. (A+)

3. Revenge of the Mummy

4. This is the End 3D (10 minute wait since it was closed): Eh. Sometimes I feel you guys are too cynical on these forums and thought I would actually enjoy this maze. Nope. This was pretty terrible. Would be good as a home haunt, but awful next to Insidious and The Walking Dead. Definitely the worst of the 3D mazes in my opinion. (D)

Purge Scarezone: Pretty damn great and seems longer than the previous Walking Dead scarezones in the area. 

5. Alien Vs. Predator (5 minute wait): Saw John Murdy talking to a group of people next to this maze. Seemed a bit worse than last year from this run through. I enjoyed it, but I guess I just knew what to expect and was a bit disappointed scarewise. My friend who had never been to HHN was also underwhelmed. (B)

6. Crimson Peak: Not feeling this one. I saw the movie and absolutely loved it, so maybe that hurt the maze for me. I thought the sets looked incredibly fake, and some of the characters and atmosphere didn't translate from the movie. (B-)

7. Transformers

8. Jurassic Park in the Dark: The falling car worked! (A++)

9. Terror Tram: After waiting a couple minutes in line, we got on. Love the story behind this one. The Purge Party concept was pretty great and somehow convinced my friend who hadn't gone to HHN that we were actually about to do cookie decorating. His and the rest of our car's reaction of "Wait, we have to get off now and walk?" reminded me of how I felt back in 2010 when I first went to the event and made me pretty warm and fuzzy inside. I missed the mini show at the Bates Auction which was disappointing and it seemed many scareactors were on break, but overall, I really enjoyed this incarnation of Terror Tram. (B+)

10. Halloween (45 minute wait): Maybe it was the super long wait or how hyped this maze was for me, but it didn't live up to expectations. I actually enjoyed the beginning and middle of the maze far more than the mirror scene. I got some great scares and they really did a good job of recreating the movie though and making Michael Myers seem intimidating, so it was still a pretty great maze. (B+)

Got dinner at Krusty Burger. Went in that room where all the artists drew over the walls and had a lot of fun pointing out easter eggs. This was my first time in Springfield and I'm impressed. 

11. Simpson's Ride (30 minute wait): Wouldn't normally do this, but my friend had never been to Universal and we just went to the Springfield land for the first time so had to. It's been a few years since I've ridden it and all the jokes in the queue and on the screens hit pretty hard, so this was a lot of fun. Will probably be a while before I go on it again though. (Is it just me, or does the ride itself already feel dated?)

12. Jabbawockeez: It's no Bill and Ted and certainly not my type of music, but I had fun. The little horror intro was a nice touch, there were some funny moments, and the last dance routine was great. So I'm not angry at all about the Jabbawockeez being there. Pretty good all around. 

Exterminators Scarezone: The costumes were awesome and the sets were great. Really an accurate depiction of New York with those giant killer rats and dead people on the sides of the road. These scareactors brought it too! Good job!

Corpz: I liked the atmosphere here. Not totally scary, but it was an interesting concept that I feel worked. 

13. Despicable Me

Dark Christmas: Love this scarezone, not much to say here. 

14. Repeated Insidious (50 minute wait even though it said 75): The second run through was slightly less scary since I knew where and when to expect things, but it proved itself once again as one of the best mazes at the event if not the best maze I've ever been through. 

15. Repeated Walking Dead (45 minutes): After I won a Crimson Peak poster for knowing when it was released (The 16th), my friend won 2 movie tickets for knowing John Murdy's name, and our whole group got the James Franco Party Invite, we got into the maze. Got to finally see this one in the dark and it made the experience a whole lot better. Made me question whether or not this was the best WD maze (Yes, I'm including the first in that even though that was fantastic). The cast was on fire and the maze was just so good. 

Chainsaw Chaseout: Got the tail end of this as a bunch of rat people saluted the chainsaw weilding scareactors as they revved their weapons and walked off the street. Pretty awesome ending to an incredible year at HHN. We did all the mazes and repeated two, did all the rides, got dinner, and saw the show all because of Early Entry and careful planning. What a great year!

What I hope HHN does in the future: We need at least one more scarezone, one more show, and one more maze. Hopefully after construction finishes, everything opens for Wizarding World, and the revenue pours in, we can get that. And bring back sliders! Please?

Edited by JGmoney1996

The CAR FINALLY FALLS?!?!?!?!?! after 5 god damn years???

Anyways any know the trend for the Franco Flyers? I'm going Thursday!!!

We tried all the scare patrol spots Thursday to no luck. (Although I wound up winning a Krampus poster in line for This Is The End). At the end of the night we managed to get the Franco Flyers in line for Insidious around 1 or so.

• Like 1

We tried all the scare patrol spots Thursday to no luck. (Although I wound up winning a Krampus poster in line for This Is The End). At the end of the night we managed to get the Franco Flyers in line for Insidious around 1 or so.

KRAMPUS POSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was it trivia or the improve thing they did to win it? okay so far everyone is saying Insidious