American Werewolf In London

JDW

Right but 2008 was supposed to be like a redneck werewolf in London. Essentially what would happen if the AWIL happened in a redneck hunting lounge. If I remember correctly with SH... They didn't have a secured location either for the longest time. That house was doomed to fail which really REALLY ticks me off. Being my all time favorite Horror IP I felt robbed. 

• Like 3

After so many years of this event, nothing really scares me or catches me off guard anymore but the puppet they use for the wolf in this is fucking frightening and makes me genuinely uneasy. Well done to the designers.

Edited by Grime
  • Like 4

I got to talk to a Fake Productions contractor while in line for Body Collectors and he confirmed what I guessed after going through the house: it is literally the same house. They didn't simply tear it down after 2013 ended, they just disassembled it into component parts and hauled it off in pieces to warehouses. They simply needed to put it back together (with slight modifications) in the same soundstage.

There are small differences, like a few different actor placements (the position of the two Nazi demons in the living room was swapped so they could add David to the room) and set dressing changes (the police box is gone, there's no longer three booholes for one of the Nazi demons, etc.), but otherwise it's virtually the same house as 2013 right down to the costumes and sound effects.

• Like 1

The Transforming David even had a pillow to prop his head up. That was a request I made during rehearsals 2 years ago when I was cast in the role, to allow for my head thrashing and visible face for the audience without excess strain.

They could've at least added a live actor in the SL Pub to start out with.  I didn't mind the house on the whole.  I hit it during a cast change, unfortunately, on Friday.  The transformation scene was empty.  Just the cracking sound effects playing.  But hey, I've already seen it two years ago so I wasn't missing anything anyway.  The wolves are extreme, in a good way.

I have to agree with others, this house just doesn't do it for me. In 2013 it was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen at HHN but I did this house 9 times in 2013 as well as the UTH Tour so I found the house very boring. I knew where every scare was before I even entered the room with the expetion of the new wolf puppet of course. I'm sure people who didn't do it before or only did it once or twice will love it but not me. If it wasn't for having an extra house this year I'd probably be upset by AWIL but it is what it is and no one is forcing me to do it so I can just spend my time in another house. 

Someone I know who isn't a HHN nut and has only been twice and went into M&M, AWIL, Body Collectors, and Asylum said this house was by far the worst one and all of the rest were great.

So even people who didn't see it the first go around aren't digging it. 

It feels like the cast this time around isn't quite as strong as we had in 2013. There's also been some removals of scareactors that were in the original incarnation, which doesn't do much for scares.

As a scareactor who is in the current cast, I'd love to know what roles were removed. 90% of our cast consists of first time scareactors. 

As a scareactor who is in the current cast, I'd love to know what roles were removed. 90% of our cast consists of first time scareactors. 

There used to be a Decayed Jack in the transformation scene to act as a scare while Transforming David distracted you, and there used to be a victim in the double-decker bus who used the last window in the bus as her boohole. Jack's two doors are still present but appear to be permanently wedged partially shut and the window is no longer broken for an actor to enter. The One-Armed Bobby also used to be behind a police box, and now he comes out from between the wall and the front of the crashed bus. His new spot has less lighting and more fog, making him harder to see when he scares.

They also appear to have slightly lengthened the alley at the end so the final werewolf puppet is no longer directly in line with guests as they leave. Other changes include adding a werewolf puppet, adding David to the living room dream sequence, changing the position of the two living room Nazi Demons, and removing the knife-wielding Nazi Demon's two extra booholes because that spot is now taken up by the machine gunner.

Edited by Cody

A lot of first timers to the event that I know are not loving this house. The 2 actors they took out that Cody mentioned really add a negative to the house, and the cast just doesn't seem as intense as 2013's. If this was the first year for the house, I honestly don't think what they have this year would end up rating higher than the other SSs or Insidious. 

What's disappointing is that this has the chance of ruining this house's legacy. It's been regarded as a near perfect, scary house, but that's not the case this year. That's the risk with exact repeats; if it's not as good, you negate the reason why you brought it back. The fact that this was only 2 years ago doesn't help either. This consistently seems to have one of the shortest lines in the park.

• Like 1

I think there's also a bit of an issue in that the original AWIL succeeded in part thanks to its cast. We all came out with injuries of some sort from our aggressive scaring, and more than one of us got moved around due to scaring or performing so aggressively that we could no longer perform our original roles from the strain, like the Cast A Bus Victim who would fling herself out the window so hard that she bruised her stomach on preview night. I started as nothing but Transforming David and I acted my heart out until the muscle strain of my thrashing forced me out of the role. The current Transforming David I've seen seems barely into it, which doesn't help the room at all when its actual scare has been removed altogether. Great puppets and nostalgia for the film are the muscles, but cast quality is the backbone.

Yes, aggressive and constant scares are exhausting and painful at times. But it's often a necessity to actually make the house work.

Edited by Cody
  • Like 1

In terms of size, the house is actually virtually identical to the original. According to a Fake Productions worker I spoke to, the house was simply disassembled and stored away in warehouses after 2013 to be put back together this year. The biggest change to the basic framework was Piccadilly Circus, which has had the police box removed and I believe the far wall (where the box used to be) moved in closer to the path.

As a scareactor from the 2013 house, walking through is incredibly surreal. Everything is instinctively familiar, but none of it truly feels the same. It's kinda like having a dream, where you walk through a familiar house but stuff just isn't quite right.

• Like 2

The best way I can describe going through AWIL 2015 is when you're having a dream that takes place in your own home, and you expect to walk into a room and see something in particular...and it's not there. Or it's there, but isn't the same size or place as usual. Or you go up to your roommate and their features don't perfectly match what they're supposed to look like.

• Like 2

Man, reading this thread is a buzzkill. I was so excited to go through this with my girlfriend who missed 2013. Wish I could just skip it and preserve my memory. 

I finally did it today and it was pretty good. I didn't feel the rooms to be empty. for me it was just as good (I know there are things missing but I didn't feel it) 

the puppets are scarier, at least in their movements. some of them were freaky. 

• Mark M. changed the title to American Werewolf In London