American Werewolf In London

JDW

right  now it feels like a good thing because of the house being repeated and the puppets (as well as having 1 extra house) 

but it worries me a little bit that they will repeat not so great houses in the future. Imagine if they repeated the Walking dead house of 2012.... If they repeat fan favorites it would be great, (the best houses of previews years)  I don't think I would mind too much.

I guess. I still would have like to see something else that I hadn't just seen.It was great but not good enough to bring back so soon. It does a disservice to other great houses the should have been brought back.

Plus it's no longer "all new". It is false advertising if they do that. I'm afraid it will open the flood gates to just bring a house whenever it's cheap and easy to do. if it's a 9th house... fine whatever... more crowd eaters and a house I may want to skip.

I guess. I still would have like to see something else that I hadn't just seen.It was great but not good enough to bring back so soon. It does a disservice to other great houses the should have been brought back.

Plus it's no longer "all new". It is false advertising if they do that. I'm afraid it will open the flood gates to just bring a house whenever it's cheap and easy to do. if it's a 9th house... fine whatever... more crowd eaters and a house I may want to skip.

Agreed.  My concern is in the precedent it's setting.  It was a great house and I know it's great for all that missed it the other year, but if it helped them decrease their overhead on the event in any noticeable way, then it's likely a trend that will continue to evolve.

• Like 1

I'm saying if I have to miss a house. I would like to see them all to make a fair comparison... but last year I barely made the 8th house.

I like the attitude though ;)
I wonder if it was an identical TWD house would you be so up at arms for it?

• Like 1

I'm saying if I have to miss a house. I would like to see them all to make a fair comparison... but last year I barely made the 8th house.

I like the attitude though ;)
I wonder if it was an identical TWD house would you be so up at arms for it?

I guess the difference is, sweetie, I don't give two shits about TWD one way or the other.  To me, it already IS identical as zombies are stupid, IMO.. so no matter what setting you put them in - a jail, a tunnel, a friggin outhouse - they are still stupid and repetitive to me..  I get what you're saying tho.  ;)

• Like 1

I'm really trying to keep my excitement in check about this one.  If you look at my signature I missed HHN23 and have heard such great things about this house for 2 years...and heard about the disappointment for other sequel houses like Run from 2006...so the fact that this is an exact replica of the house that blew everybody's mind with an added wolf couldn't make me happier :)  2 years of hype and regret for missing it...hope it lives up to it!

But, like everybody else, I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of repeating a house unless they start making 9 houses the new norm and pick a "greatest hits" each year that is really cheap to do.  If they make the 8th house be a repeat that would really stink...unless there was an obvious increase in the time and money spent on the scarezone props or something (granted, the parade limits that).

• Like 1

UPDATE TO THE UONEWS INFO (CORRECT LOCATIONS)

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON Step into John Landis’ landmark 1981 horror classic. From the attack on the English moors to the bone-crunching transformation, it’s one of the most popular houses in Halloween Horror Nights® history. Entrance: Music Plaza courtyard Location: Soundstage 22 • Exit: Music Plaza courtyard 

Why didn't they just put a a scene or two in the throwback back house... the whole "9th" house thing is arguably a gimmick since this house is, according to them, identical to the previous AWiL house which in a way subtracts it from the lineup for a lot of people. Is it cheaper for them to just remake a house identically? I don't really understand the thinking behind this.

Edited by Goo
  • Like 1

Why didn't they just put a a scene or two in the throwback back house... the whole "9th" house thing is arguably a gimmick since this house is, according to them, identical to the previous AWiL house which in a way subtracts it from the lineup for a lot of people. Is it cheaper for them to just remake a house identically? I don't really understand the thinking behind this.

Well, the 9th house serves as more than just a gimmick.

1. Having one more house takes the congestion out of lines considerably, which will be needed this year

2. How does it make the lineup worse? At worst you can pretend there's only 8 houses this year and nothing's changed

3. Yeah, it is cheaper, although it still isn't cheap. The puppets are gonna cost a ton

• Like 2

Well, the 9th house serves as more than just a gimmick.

1. Having one more house takes the congestion out of lines considerably, which will be needed this year

2. How does it make the lineup worse? At worst you can pretend there's only 8 houses this year and nothing's changed

3. Yeah, it is cheaper, although it still isn't cheap. The puppets are gonna cost a ton

I didn't say it made the lineup worse, I said it's really like there's only 8 houses since a majority of people have seen this house since it's such a recent house and it's identical. It just seems really redundant. If it's supposed to help congestion, wouldn't you want something that a lot of people haven't seen already, so ya know, they want to go see it? I'm sure it'll help with the congestion a little, but lines will continue to be ridiculously long. If anything, I think Diagon Alley will be the biggest help in that aspect.

Why not dig up some older popular houses and remake those? In what way is it cheaper? I doubt they have a ton of the stuff from the original house... I just don't see the thought process behind this, especially with the throwback house being there this year. Like if the puppets are "gonna cost a ton" that means they don't just have them laying around somewhere so they're remaking them. It's just a weird choice. Someone mentioned how the way they're kind of selling it also doesn't make sense. "We just did this, it was cool, it's back, oh and it's IDENTICAL!" like, what? Okay... I guess? Four years of zombies, all different, but you aren't gonna change up this house a bit? I don't get it.

Edited by Goo

I didn't say it made the lineup worse, I said it's really like there's only 8 houses since a majority of people have seen this house since it's such a recent house and it's identical. It just seems really redundant. If it's supposed to help congestion, wouldn't you want something that a lot of people haven't seen already, so ya know, they want to go see it? I'm sure it'll help with the congestion a little, but lines will continue to be ridiculously long. If anything, I think Diagon Alley will be the biggest help in that aspect.

Why not dig up some older popular houses and remake those? In what way is it cheaper? I doubt they have a ton of the stuff from the original house... I just don't see the thought process behind this, especially with the throwback house being there this year. Like if the puppets are "gonna cost a ton" that means they don't just have them laying around somewhere so they're remaking them. It's just a weird choice. Someone mentioned how the way they're kind of selling it also doesn't make sense. "We just did this, it was cool, it's back, oh and it's IDENTICAL!" like, what? Okay... I guess? Four years of zombies, all different, but you aren't gonna change up this house a bit? I don't get it.

They are probably still under the "licensing window" where they don't have to pay for the rights again...and can put in literature "The highest rated house in the new millennium returns!!!!" or something along those lines. I have to remove myself from much debate on the merits of this house returning as I didn't see it the first time and am so happy it's returning :)  

Regarding it returning...if it was as far and away amazing as I'm lead to believe from reading the forums, telling the GP who attends on a whim and doesn't come every year that "your favorite house is returning!" is brilliant.  It sounds like they're catering to the fans thoughts....while promoting the 9th house...while saving some $$$$ on props.  But it's far from free...even if they had left the house standing and didn't have to rebuild it (which isn't the case), there's still 6 weeks worth of scareactors and flashlight cops and line enforcers they have to pay so it's not a cash grab.

I'm sure we'd all rather have Dead Exposure or Hellgate Prison return in a "room by room 100% accurate recreation" but can't really complain about this.

Edited by Oysterhead00
  • Like 2

They are probably still under the "licensing window" where they don't have to pay for the rights again...and can put in literature "The highest rated house in the new millennium returns!!!!" or something along those lines. 

don't they own the rights? I just rewatched the movie a couple days ago and the universal logo thing played at beginning of it. 

don't they own the rights? I just rewatched the movie a couple days ago and the universal logo thing played at beginning of it. 

Quite possibly...I really don't know.   Between production companies and stuff, it's usually a tangled mess...but maybe earlier 80s was a simpler time.  Like look at Spider-Man and Fantastic Four with the Marvel/Disney/Sony/etc situation.  I was just making assumptions and talking out my @$$.  Ha ha ha.

I'd have to assume there's some sort of royalties that would have to be paid out though.  Again, I don't know.

AWiL rights are a tangled thing, and I may not have this all exactly right, and some is guesswork.

But the production company and ultimate rights holder is the appropriately named Lycanthrope Films controlled by John Landis. 

The film was originally released and distributed in cinemas by Polygram Pictures which no longer exists. Universal acquired the home video release rights which it still maintains.

But the rights for remakes and sequels were acquired by Dimension. Dimension was at one time under the umbrella of Disney as part of Miramax. (before this Disney had actually released An American Werewolf in Paris through its Hollywood Pictures label, but that story is even more convoluted!) Now Dimension is part of the Weinstein Company.

You know, the people who fucked up Scream for us.

So long as Weinstein holds those rights there may be troubles in adapting American Werewolf. Here is the speculation part: I believe that Weinstein prevented the houses planned in 2008 and 2012 as at that time they were still interested in making a reboot/remake film - and did not want attention diverted to the original, similar to their thinking in relation to Scream this year.

Of course I have no way of knowing that for certain, but it is interesting that we got Werewolf in 2013 after Weinstein abandoned their plans for the film project.

• Like 6

So long as Weinstein holds those rights there may be troubles in adapting American Werewolf. Here is the speculation part: I believe that Weinstein prevented the houses planned in 2008 and 2012 as at that time they were still interested in making a reboot/remake film - and did not want attention diverted to the original, similar to their thinking in relation to Scream this year.

Of course I have no way of knowing that for certain, but it is interesting that we got Werewolf in 2013 after Weinstein abandoned their plans for the film project.

That's a good assumption, however the rumor is AWiL was actually built in 2012 then was changed sorta last minute into Silent Hill, which would insinuate that Weinstein granted them the rights to use the original, but then pulled out halfway through and changed their minds. That's plenty possible, as they pulled a MONTH before the damn event began this year, but my thinking is if they wanted no attention on the original, why grant the rights in the first place?

I for one am happy this house is returning. I didn't get to see it the first time around and from everything I have heard, it was one of, if not the best house Universal has ever made. I don't care that it is a room for room remake of the first house. It still cost them a great deal to make. Design and planning wise, they saved money. However it's not like they have a massive storage room where ALL the props and walls are stored from every house they ever did. Sure they keep some stuff, but a lot just gets destroyed. They had to totally rebuild the house from the ground up with all new plywood. I also feel like they only kept one or two of the puppets and the rest were tossed out/turned into something else so that's the reason they are recreating them which is not cheap. Those puppets are massive and require a lot of time to create and maintain. It would have been much cheaper for them to bring back a non-puppet house. The Orlando team seems to know what the fans want and what was really popular and worked well so the only reason it is coming back is because people loved it so much. I could totally see the same thing happen for Halloween in a few years because it seemed to be the most popular house last year. 

Personally I have no problem with them bringing back ONE popular past house each year. I would give anything to see H.R. Bloodengutz holiday house make a return. I feel like as long as they continue with 8 new houses, having a 9th or 10th house be a "return to the past" would be fine. A part of me really wishes they would have a permanent house year round like Hollywood did for a few years since so much is closing (Disaster, Beetle juice, and most likely Twister before the year is over) but that's a discussion for another thread.  

• Like 2

I would honestly love it if they bumped up the count to 10 or even stay at 9 if necessary), and make that 9th or 10th house a replica of a classic from the past. And when I say past, I don't mean a successful IP from a few years ago. I mean houses like Ghost Town, Hellgate, Deadtropolis, Frightanic, etc. Classic originals die hard fans would love to see again, newer fans would love to experience, and they would be completely new to the general public who know nothing of the past HHNs. Bring them back with some adjustments to make them even better, modernize some effects that are dated now, and it's a fresher replica of a house from a long while ago. A great way to honor the past, and is an extra house to spread out crowds/add capacity. Win/win for everyone.

• Like 8

Guest kiwisoup

That's a good assumption, however the rumor is AWiL was actually built in 2012 then was changed sorta last minute into Silent Hill, which would insinuate that Weinstein granted them the rights to use the original, but then pulled out halfway through and changed their minds. That's plenty possible, as they pulled a MONTH before the damn event began this year, but my thinking is if they wanted no attention on the original, why grant the rights in the first place?

That's the first I've ever heard of it ever being built and redone in 2012. Not sure I buy that one. They already demolished two houses due to construction and had to create House of Horrors last minute just to get the count up to 7. You expect me to believe they also rebuilt another house? Doubt it. It's a good wager that there were discussions but they couldn't reach an agreement before construction started.

Edited by kiwisoup

That's the first I've ever heard of it ever being built and redone in 2012. Not sure I buy that one. They already demolished two houses due to construction and had to create House of Horrors last minute just to get the count up to 7. You expect me to believe they also rebuilt another house? Doubt it.

There was only one house demolished, no? SS44 is the only one I know of that was demolished, and they added HoH to bring the count back to 7, as there was never 8 planned that year. I was always led to believe that was the case, could be wrong though. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the matter can chime in.

Guest kiwisoup

There was only one house demolished, no? SS44 is the only one I know of that was demolished, and they added HoH to bring the count back to 7, as there was never 8 planned that year. I was always led to believe that was the case, could be wrong though. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the matter can chime in.

I thought there were two houses: the Chupacabra/Aztec one and the Spike Room/Creature Pit one but maybe they are the same thing and I was thinking of them as two. I'd assume 8 was planned at some point, but one was dropped because of construction before permits were event files. I do think that AWIL was scrapped and replaced before construction though.

Edited by kiwisoup

I thought there were two houses: the Chupacabra/Aztec one and the Spike Room/Creature Pit one but maybe they are the same thing and I was thinking of them as two. I'd assume 8 was planned at some point, but one was dropped because of construction before permits were event files. I do think that AWIL was scrapped and replaced before construction though.

They were one and the same. AWiL was planned previously (2008 was jerry-rigged into Creatures and 2012). They couldn't secure the rights in 2012 in a satisfactory way (or management wasn't sold on it). To my knowledge, the change from AWiL to Silent Hill occurred before construction started on the soundstages.

• Mark M. changed the title to American Werewolf In London