American Werewolf In London

JDW

I'd rather have a 9th house (even if it's a repeat) because at least it will eat up a lot of crowds. Which without a second actual show and one less ride not being open and being an anniversary year... I think a 9th house was definitely needed.

• Like 2

I don't want to get into a Hollywood vs Orlando war or anything - and this is all just my own observation (and my entire group, actually) and opinion.  But ALL of us, after visiting the Hollywood version, were like.. shit.  So, yes, getting to see it again in Orlando after it's been tweaked and more wolves added?? Dream. Come. True.

I'd actually love to hear your comparison. I'm coming to Orlando for the 1st time and am expecting to see the big difference. Hollywoods AWiL last year was fun, but you could see the wolves before the light popped on to them (still made me jump anyway). Will this be the exact same copy from 2013? I saw the videos and they were pretty heart pounding.

they said The wolf pack has expanded, and they’re going to be even more ferocious with a whole new look., i dont know what they mean by that but it means there will at least be some change

Edited by imcool2

Orlando's version of this house is 100% superior.  Because of my love for it, when Hollywood got it, I flew out there to attend that event as well just to see the house again.  While I still liked it, my initial reaction was actually disappointment.  I don't want to get into a Hollywood vs Orlando war or anything - and this is all just my own observation (and my entire group, actually) and opinion.  But ALL of us, after visiting the Hollywood version, were like.. shit.  So, yes, getting to see it again in Orlando after it's been tweaked and more wolves added?? Dream. Come. True.

I don't sense any sort of Hollywood vs Orlando war.   The cancer called "synergy" is spreading to Orlando.  

Or maybe it's just a return to the "good old days" to which Dr. Jimmy alludes.

HHN fans complain.. it is what they do.. They complain when they bring IPs in..they complain when they have originals..

Reality is many people who attend HHN (who aren't hardcore fans) have probably never seen the original AWIL house. The house was a great house that they were super proud of so why not bring it back again for the anniversary?

The way I look at it is.. if you aren't happy they are bringing it back.. don't go in it!

I am excited for the AWIL house. I think it was a great house when they first had it so I have no doubt it will be a great house this time around!

• Like 5

I would love this idea if it was later like say HHN 33 that would be fantastic to see AWIL again, but the house is too fresh in my eyes. Yes the new fans need to experience this masterpiece but theirs been lots of houses in the past that would deserve to be revived first, like Dead Exposure or The Thing: Assimilation, houses even older but made impacts to the event (but maybe that's why we have sequel houses). I'm not really wanting old houses to reappear because that makes any house that's a "fan favorite" house able to come back so soon. But what other haunts has 9 or more houses? Uh all i think is Knott's. But what other haunts has made 9 houses or more without repeats, probably none (please correct me if I'm wrong). HHN will maybe never be like other haunts having almost all their houses repeat and a select few changed like most others (like HOS and other small haunts)  so I understand that this was going to happen if we kept adding houses. I just hoped if we did have a repeat of a house identically it should be one let's say at least 8-10 years old. Let's just hope this is the last repeat of an IP house at least? What other IP houses were as good as AWIL that deserves a comeback?

• Like 1

I would love this idea if it was later like say HHN 33 that would be fantastic to see AWIL again, but the house is too fresh in my eyes. Yes the new fans need to experience this masterpiece but theirs been lots of houses in the past that would deserve to be revived first, like Dead Exposure or The Thing: Assimilation, houses even older but made impacts to the event (but maybe that's why we have sequel houses). I'm not really wanting old houses to reappear because that makes any house that's a "fan favorite" house able to come back so soon. But what other haunts has 9 or more houses? Uh all i think is Knott's. But what other haunts has made 9 houses or more without repeats, probably none (please correct me if I'm wrong). HHN will maybe never be like other haunts having almost all their houses repeat and a select few changed like most others (like HOS and other small haunts)  so I understand that this was going to happen if we kept adding houses. I just hoped if we did have a repeat of a house identically it should be one let's say at least 8-10 years old. Let's just hope this is the last repeat of an IP house at least? What other IP houses were as good as AWIL that deserves a comeback?

Well here's the thing, they seem to be using AWIL's HOTY to market it as one of the GOATs and that "This is the encore preformance". I'm guessing that's the logic for bringing AWIL back so soon. AWIL's a House Of The Year. Fits with the 25th. The only other IP that fits that status is Halloween, and that would be even sooner than AWIL, and Halloween doesn't even have the distinction of being the sole HOTY winner. 

There are people that are angry at this, but most people are jazzed, because this is a big time to be coming in to Horror Nights. Because AWIL was recent, word of mouth about it is easier to hear, so many people hate that they didn't see it. They bring back something 8-10 years ago, we probably like it. But I can vaguely see people in my head going "Why the fuck are they bringing something back from 2005-2007?"

Well either it feels too early to bring it back or not. There's one thing I want at the house that wasn't in the original version, and that's the use of Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival. They used the song in a pivotal scene of the movie and was really disappointing when I didn't hear it in the house with the rest of the amazing soundtrack. if it was for copyright reasons, they had time to work that out and with news of an "improvement" to the wolves and increase in numbers, makes me very interested.

• Like 1

Guest kiwisoup

How do you guys think they're changing it? 

I've said it before...but I want MASKS in the mutant Nazi nightmare scene. Apparently there were rumblings that most of the masks didn't turn out and were too small or ill-fitting, so they wore straight make-up in that scene and looked like undead Nazis instead. For some reason the single one in the hospital scene had a mask still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0wShZqevLU

Edited by kiwisoup

Possibility for some of Hollywood's maze to make an impact on ours. They had an extended subway scene that could work, maybe an extended moors scene, extended Picadilly, etc)

I really hope "more wolves" doesn't translate to "less human actors, too many wolves". Honestly, I think the 5 they had was fine. Adding one is ok, but adding a lot more could cause saturation and overkill.

I wonder if they just improved the wolves, or if they designed whole new ones?

Guest kiwisoup

Possibility for some of Hollywood's maze to make an impact on ours. They had an extended subway scene that could work, maybe an extended moors scene, extended Picadilly, etc)

It's already been stated by Mike himself that the house itself is exactly the same as it first was. They are just building it again based on the original specs and blueprints...only some effects and stuff that overlay this original layout will be different. I'd love to see some extended scenes, but based on what's been said it's not gonna happen.

Guest kiwisoup

Nit picking, sorry.

But the masks did appear in the Nightmare scene in 2013 by the last couple weeks of the Event.

Oh ok. I've brought it up a few times before and that's the first I've heard of it. I always attend the first few weeks and all of the videos on YouTube are from early in the event. I figured they just never bothered to fix it, but it's good to know they did.

I'd actually love to hear your comparison. I'm coming to Orlando for the 1st time and am expecting to see the big difference. Hollywoods AWiL last year was fun, but you could see the wolves before the light popped on to them (still made me jump anyway). Will this be the exact same copy from 2013? I saw the videos and they were pretty heart pounding.

I am pretty sure I wrote a pretty specific comparison on the AWIL thread for Hollywood last year.  I KNOW I wrote one because I did it while every scene was still fresh in my mind.  Right now, I can think of a few things that still stick out in my mind :

The wolves themselves were inferior to Orlando, and they were not hidden well.  There was one large wolf up on some big pedestal that you could actually see the mechanics of the whole thing.  It rendered it silly instead of scary.

There were a lot of odd blank spaces where there was nothing which created a disjointed vibe

Jeez - let me try and find my original comparison for you.  It was a long time ago.  I just know that after our first walk-through in Hollywood, my heart had sunk into my stomach as I realized I flew all the way out there for nothing..

• Like 2

Ok, I found it - what I wrote after visiting Hollywood.  I guess I remembered my biggest complaints better than I thought I would.  Other than these specifics, it was more an overall feel and flow issue when one compared Hollywood vs. Orlando.  Here is my commentary from last year's Hollywood version:

There were problems with the maze - I don't understand the empty dark spaces. WTF is that about? It about put my partner over the edge. On our first walk through, we got to the end, and she screamed "WHAT THE HELL?? THAT SUCKED!!" I had to calm her down and explain it will never be Orlando's version, but that we had to do it again and take in what was good about it. I also think that since it was opening night, the actors weren't on their game yet. They were significantly better on Saturday vs Friday. Also, the wolf they have up on a platform (where it shows the WHOLE wolf) was terrible. I don't think whoever was controlling him had a clue as to what he was doing, and you could see the friggin mechanism that moved the wolf! I mean, come on!

The room where the "transformation" was taking place was too small.. Orlando recreated the actual room from the movie down to the smallest detail, and they had a better partial wolf and everything for that part.... plus, they had a couple scares come from behind you while you watched.

I assume you boys will be going multiple times.. don't give up on this maze. I'm really hoping it gets better over time for you. It's got some potential as the actors get more and more comfortable. However, Murdy needs a shot to the nuts for the empty spaces. Jesus.

• Like 1

During the big #HHN25 reveal, we found out that An American Werewolf in London (Soundstage 22) would be an exact replica with a few additional scares that may even go unnoticed by some. However, one major change to the house will be the actual werewolf puppets. All of the puppets in the house are newly designed, making them more actor-friendly and will surely help increase the level of scares. Wallace showed off a short video of the new werewolves and the motion of the puppets is way more fluid and realistic than before.

• Like 1

Over the past year we've been working form original molds..
In 2013 we sculpted off of really great photo reference.
But we couldn't do it again with our making improvements. Our wolf puppets this year are nearly identical to the film..
One of the unique aspects of this year's event is we get to recreate a past maze virtually identically.. An American Werewolf in London.

COWUM_WUYAE2ZvR.jpg:large

It blows my mind they think it's a selling point to keep touting that the house is virtually identical. :huh:
Especially when they used to tout we NEVER repeat houses. Now it's a good thing? I would have much rather seen a house that was long since gone recreated than one from two years ago.

Ah whatever. This will be the house to miss if I have to. I mean I loved the original but virtually identical... nothing new to see here.

• Like 2

COWUM_WUYAE2ZvR.jpg:large

It blows my mind they think it's a selling point to keep touting that the house is virtually identical. :huh:
Especially when they used to tout we NEVER repeat houses. Now it's a good thing? I would have much rather seen a house that was long since gone recreated than one from two years ago.

Ah whatever. This will be the house to miss if I have to. I mean I loved the original but virtually identical... nothing new to see here.

right  now it feels like a good thing because of the house being repeated and the puppets (as well as having 1 extra house) 

but it worries me a little bit that they will repeat not so great houses in the future. Imagine if they repeated the Walking dead house of 2012.... If they repeat fan favorites it would be great, (the best houses of previews years)  I don't think I would mind too much.

right  now it feels like a good thing because of the house being repeated and the puppets (as well as having 1 extra house) 

but it worries me a little bit that they will repeat not so great houses in the future. Imagine if they repeated the Walking dead house of 2012.... If they repeat fan favorites it would be great, (the best houses of previews years)  I don't think I would mind too much.

Agree in theory, but maybe not in practice.

The reason I say that is because, if they want to repeat give us some of the older houses.  Dust off the mothballs on something presented 10 years ago before TWD brought in a whole new and different crowd and give the new attendees something they have never seen before and the older attendees something from the past that they loved.

Edit: I am saying this under the provision that they keep providing us with nine houses.  I am not sure if that will continue, but if it does I would be fine as long as they adhere to a nine house count and try some of the older houses.

Edited by Cooger and Dark
  • Like 1

• Mark M. changed the title to American Werewolf In London