The Walking Dead: The Living And The Dead

JDW

UPDATE TO THE UONEWS INFO (CORRECT LOCATIONS)

THE WALKING DEAD: THE LIVING AND THE DEAD From the burnt ashes of Terminus, through the flooded community food pantry basement, and into the darkened churchyard, hordes of walkers surround you as you relive gut-wrenching moments of the most recent season. Entrance: Next to KidZone Stage Location: B-79 • Exit: by Animal Actors On Location! 

Guest kiwisoup

From the pics I've seen, I'm just not understanding what the facade is supposed to be. My first assumption was terminus or something, but it just doesn't look like any location used in the film...

Honestly, not that bad. Not really even bad IMO. *Shot* This maze, well okay, it wasn't bad, but I would just say it was okay. I got quite a few scares:

Revolving door

But there are some issues. 

1. I found the water scene...underwhelming. Perhaps my expectations were admittedly too high.
  2. For a maze called "The Living and The Dead", I only saw one living person. Technically two. Mostly still The Dead.

For issue 3:

RETURN OF THE CRAPHORDE

One more thing, they chose the best thing to end the maze on in my opinion, and I feel it sorta tells how they're caring less and less, but I didn't care since it was a fun finale in my opinion. The finale is:

The food trucks followed by going into a truck which is playing that Knife Party dubstep song. Dead serious. 

I lol'd.

• Like 1

From the pics I've seen, I'm just not understanding what the facade is supposed to be. My first assumption was terminus or something, but it just doesn't look like any location used in the film...

Terminus. Specifically ...

the big ass tanks Carol blows up in the premiere

I still don't "get" the last scene ...

Wasn't the music near the end based on the Wolves resetting the walker trap in the tractor trailers?  They played that music to lure them to the sound?  Anyway, did a run through last night.  Main line was an hour.  That upsets me because if it has a consistent long wait throughout the season, they'll use that as an excuse to bring it back again.  As terrible as this house is though, I actually had a couple good scares in it last night.  Go figure.

Wasn't the music near the end based on the Wolves resetting the walker trap in the tractor trailers?  They played that music to lure them to the sound?  Anyway, did a run through last night.  Main line was an hour.  That upsets me because if it has a consistent long wait throughout the season, they'll use that as an excuse to bring it back again.  As terrible as this house is though, I actually had a couple good scares in it last night.  Go figure.

Without any major spoilers, what makes this house terrible? I too am tired of TWD at HHN, but I really enjoyed Orlando's maze last year and I'm a fan of the show. Is this maze just not as big as last year so it seems worse than it actually is? Or is it just poorly designed creatively? Seems like I should lower my expectations for this house from everything I've been reading. 

Without any major spoilers, what makes this house terrible? I too am tired of TWD at HHN, but I really enjoyed Orlando's maze last year and I'm a fan of the show. Is this maze just not as big as last year so it seems worse than it actually is? Or is it just poorly designed creatively? Seems like I should lower my expectations for this house from everything I've been reading. 

It's nothing like last year.  Much smaller.  Weak sets.  Terrible façade.  I know the this past season of TWD didn't have many memorable scenes so that didn't help them much to begin with.  Used prop gags from last year that were underwhelming to start with and have yet to be functional this year.  They took what I saw as last year's house's best scene and put it in this year's but ruined it.  IMO, if you go in with zero expectations, you might be fine.  To each his own.  I can say from my runs this past weekend compared to last night, I had a much better go last night.  I'm one of those that rarely get scared or jumpy but they got me twice last night.  Kudos to them.

• Like 1

they are running out of things to do. almost every room is something we saw before already, it really feels like a return house like awil 

Every bone in my body tells me to hate this house for the things that are bad, like the stupid horde gag, the underwhelming water scene, the basically non existent facade. But every run I've had on this one, I always get a few good jolts that make me change my opinion. Honestly, I felt the entire event has sorta ramped up from Week 1 in terms of scareacting and intensity, IMO.

• Like 2

Based on one run through this house, it's....okay. It's better than last year, but TWD overstayed its welcome about 2 years ago. I reiterate my criticisms of the past houses: they're usually just mediocre zombie houses little different in scare content from every generic zombie house of the past 25 years, but they have "Hey Walking Dead fans, remember this cool scene from your favorite TV show?" eye candy that lets them actually appeal to people. Without the fan appeal, they'd be average at best.

The water scene is incredibly underwhelming, and I get the feeling that A&D's ideas may have outstripped practicality. The walkers are simply standing in large tubs of water next to the line, which are visibly sudsy and smell very strongly of chlorine. It doesn't look like "flooded room" as much as "zombies got stuck in some baths nearby."

• Like 1

those tubs of water should have been twice as long. Letting the walkers move from side to side. 

not sure if it would be hard for the actors. But those tubs could have looked really good if they were as big as the water tank from Saws and Steam 

that actor was not inside a tub obviously, but that water room was incredible. (I expected the Water walkers to be inside something like that) 

if those tubs were longer it would have been more believable, less obvious 

I've done this house 3 times now. I didn't even flinch in any of those runs. The sets are fine, nothing out of the norm for a TWD house, and it's a decent length house. But the house itself is just bad. I really enjoyed last year's house; intense, tons of scares, lots of fun. This year's is so incredibly boring that each time I did it I couldn't wait to get out and go to a good house. Plenty will still get scares, as people tend to do at HHN, but this is just not a good house. With the exception of Afterlife, this is probably the worst house since 2012. Didn't plan on doing it again after the second time, but was hanging out with some people who wanted to do it yesterday during the AP Event so I said what the hell why not. I do not plan on doing this again all season. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Things to note: this show is retardedly popular. My UTH tour guide gave us the numbers today (ratings, that is) and they are STAGGERING....... 

I personally don't understand it. I think they've been rehashing everything since the first season. 

Shady Guy/Sign/Omen Who Randomly Shows Up: "We have a place where this isn't a problem"
Rick: "My beard groweth."
Darryl: "Girls think I'm sexy."
Shady: "Soooo, follow?"
Rick: "I don't know this has never worked ever."
Shady: "CmahhhhHHHHH!"
Rick: "OK"

Then they go and they're cannibal racist werewolf walker army feeding whatevers.

And Carl is still alive like "GOSH DAD YOURE SUCH A BAD DAD DAD" 

I feel like Mugatu. ITS THE SAME LOOK. And they use the same props! 

But guess what? There's a spectrum here. 25 is for the fans <<>> TWD is what brings The Folks. So it's not going anywhere any time soon, and the tour guide today directly said it'll be there next year.

And you know what? Packing TWD houses with hoardes of tourists (heh heh) lets them do cool stuff on the other side of the park that other people with taste can enjoy. If this event didn't have to make money, that would be incredible.... But it does. And TWD is as close to a guarantee of profit as you can get. 

Just my two cents on the "OMG WHY IS THIS STILL HERE" debate, a sentiment I shared until I checked the numbers and stopped thinking like an artist. 

Note that I have no qualms with this and I'm not saying it's selling out.. I'm saying the series has sold out,  because they're doing the same thing recycling plot lines. Give Uni new plot and they'll make a new house that can rule. Keep having Zed-Words in the woods and stuff and ... well, we all know the zed word is ridiculous.

Things to note: this show is retardedly popular. My UTH tour guide gave us the numbers today (ratings, that is) and they are STAGGERING....... 

I personally don't understand it. I think they've been rehashing everything since the first season. 

Shady Guy/Sign/Omen Who Randomly Shows Up: "We have a place where this isn't a problem"
Rick: "My beard groweth."
Darryl: "Girls think I'm sexy."
Shady: "Soooo, follow?"
Rick: "I don't know this has never worked ever."
Shady: "CmahhhhHHHHH!"
Rick: "OK"

Then they go and they're cannibal racist werewolf walker army feeding whatevers.

And Carl is still alive like "GOSH DAD YOURE SUCH A BAD DAD DAD" 

I feel like Mugatu. ITS THE SAME LOOK. And they use the same props! 

But guess what? There's a spectrum here. 25 is for the fans <<>> TWD is what brings The Folks. So it's not going anywhere any time soon, and the tour guide today directly said it'll be there next year.

And you know what? Packing TWD houses with hoardes of tourists (heh heh) lets them do cool stuff on the other side of the park that other people with taste can enjoy. If this event didn't have to make money, that would be incredible.... But it does. And TWD is as close to a guarantee of profit as you can get. 

Just my two cents on the "OMG WHY IS THIS STILL HERE" debate, a sentiment I shared until I checked the numbers and stopped thinking like an artist. 

Note that I have no qualms with this and I'm not saying it's selling out.. I'm saying the series has sold out,  because they're doing the same thing recycling plot lines. Give Uni new plot and they'll make a new house that can rule. Keep having Zed-Words in the woods and stuff and ... well, we all know the zed word is ridiculous.

but that's not even true anymore because not even the fans are filling up this line, this line tends to have some of the lowest lines on some days. Freddy Vs Jason keeps getting the biggest crowds. just like Halloween got the biggest crowds before.

If we went by the "What fans are doing is what needs to come back" then marketing Should be bringing back more slasher houses next year, bring back Leatherface again, or maybe do a Friday the 13th house again... It is true walking dead brought the new fans, but that's not even the case now. it seems like people are choosing to do FvJ and M&M houses over walking Dead (even Body Collectors gets more people in) 

• Like 1

but that's not even true anymore because not even the fans are filling up this line, this line tends to have some of the lowest lines on some days. Freddy Vs Jason keeps getting the biggest crowds. just like Halloween got the biggest crowds before.
If we went by the "What fans are doing is what needs to come back" then marketing Should be bringing back more slasher houses next year, bring back Leatherface again, or maybe do a Friday the 13th house again... It is true walking dead brought the new fans, but that's not even the case now. it seems like people are choosing to do FvJ and M&M houses over walking Dead (even Body Collectors gets more people in) 

I am totally in agreement with you. In case it wasn't clear in what I said above, I don't dislike this house because I dislike the show - I dislike it because it's the same house every year with the same props, etc.

However, according to the tour guide, this is also by far the house that brings the most traffic from tourists. I don't know how he could know that, and I don't know if it's really true, but TWD sure is prominent in the marketing. 

Also, when you said M&M houses, I immediately thought of little shelled candies with gigantic teeth and it made me laugh out loud in my living room by myself in the dark like an idiot (I'm so used to just calling the house 25). So thanks for that, and I think we should start a petition for a house "M&Ms: Melt in your Soul" for HHN 26. You with me?

That's the best I could come up with off the cuff. I almost want to start like a whole separate thread for "What should we call the M&Ms house" but this ... has probably already had more than it's fair share of Space.

• Like 1

They could potentially be talking about guest survey responses as to what property the guests were most excited to see at the event, and seeing that TWD was chosen the most often.

I still maintain the exact same opinion of this house as I did of all its predecessors: it's an average zombie house that rides on replicating a popular TV show instead of any of its own real merits.

• Mark M. changed the title to The Walking Dead: The Living And The Dead