The Walking Dead: The Living And The Dead

JDW

Looks like we've got a bunch of psychics on this board. Everyone already knows the house is gonna suck. You know I thought about going this year... What with 9 houses, the 25th Anniversary, Jack returning and all...... THANK GOD you all know this house is going to be terrible. Saved me some big time money. Im going to let this house ruin any happiness about this event for me. Those hundreds and thousands of guest who left last years house clapping and cheering as they exited are just dumb GP. Their overwhelming opinion doesnt matter like us 1%-ers. They dont even know how many dots Jack has on his blouse. Amateurs. I mean, so what if Jacks been repeated over and over again. Hes gets a Hall Pass because we say so.... unlike that Walking Dead.

Thank you! Give a chance before you say it's bad, or you know...don't go through it and enjoy the rest of the event.

• Like 2

I'm having difficulty imagining the "hundreds of gallons of water". 

They won't have guests slog through water in a house (if it's raining you may have to slog through water to get to the house, but that's different). Catwalk?

And how will the scareactors be situated? I just can't see them having 45 minute sets in the water. 

They basically did it in Ship of Screams.

Scareactors were issued wet suits to wear under their costumes and worked under a constant stream of water the entire set. And I do think they had a couple submerged as well.

They basically did it in Ship of Screams.

Scareactors were issued wet suits to wear under their costumes and worked under a constant stream of water the entire set. And I do think they had a couple submerged as well.

Cool. Ship of Screams was so long ago, I didn't remember the water. 

And with Mike's tweet confirming walkers in waist high water, that room ups the potential of the house. 

Season 5 of AMC’s The Walking Dead was amazing. And at Halloween Horror Nights this year, we can’t wait to put guests right in the middle of last season’s most gruesome moments.

There are some new disgusting Walker looks and immersive environments that will thrill new guests and long-time fans. You’ll encounter everything from the freshly-turned Terminus butcher—who has slashed the throats of many trough victims—to the Walker with a flare-filled face lighting up the storm-ravaged forest.

Some of the goriest moments will be captured from Season 5. A grenade blast pins an unlucky soul to the wall as Walkers feast on the still live survivor. And one of the most horrific scenes will play out as you try to wind your way past the semi-truck Walker traps.

You’ll also have to keep to the dry path and steer clear of the engorged faces of Walkers that wade through the water of the food bank basement.  Yes, you heard correctly. It will be a first for the event—we will have Walkers attacking through the waist high waters of the flooded food bank.

With new environments, massive gore, and lots of Walkers…who will survive?

Cool. Ship of Screams was so long ago, I didn't remember the water. 

And with Mike's tweet confirming walkers in waist high water, that room ups the potential of the house. 

My wife was the costumer for it... I remember her stories very well (I also hung out with them during rehearsals... things were so different back then).

It wasn't exactly "fun" for most of them. Being a drowned rat for 8 hours isn't the most enjoyable job, regardless of how well you scare. And by the second weekend, I suspect a guest will end up peeing on a scareactor.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15172-1384448107-9.

Yes! This is by far the most excited Ive been for a Walking Dead house. This season was the one where I felt that watching it, it has most potential to be a really great house setting wise with how different they were. I've been praying we'd get the church from the second they first showed it. The Walking Dead has gotten better each time they bring it back and this one has some big shoes to fill.

As for the absolutely unnecessary hate this IP gets, I think I've figured out why.. The first year it appeared, 2012, was the very first year that there was no overall theme. No icon. No *gasp* website. I think alot of you associate this franchise with the "loss" of "HHN's past" when that could not be any more hilariously wrong. They didnt switch the event's directions (no theme, no icon, no website games) because of the Walking Dead. They changed it because they are smart. Let's just look the last two icons HHN used: Fear and Lady Luck. Both were universally hated by the "fans". Hated. Trashed. Why would they even bother anymore then? Also, bear with me here, this event dpes not need an icon anymore. The purpose of an icon is to give the event a face, to give it a marketable appeal. Halloween Horror Nights IS the icon now. The name sells itself. That was not the case in the earlier stages (counting the teen years here to an extent). They held on to the icons and themes I bet for as long as they could continue to make it work. When they saw how poorly Fear and Lady Luck (I thought Lady Luck's tie in to the entire event was pretty genius) were recieved, I bet they figured "why bother"? Now alot of this does have to do with the Comcast switch, sure. IP's sell. I gaurante you that 90% of the guests coming to the event when there were all original houses and themes did not know any of the backstory to any of the houses. Using IP's allows them to use things that people are already familiar with to bring them in. How many people went to HHN 22 thinking, "Well, shit! we better go to HHN this year to see Gothic! Get a load of this backstory!". I bet none. The appeal was Silent Hill, TWD, etc. (By the way, betting 5% of the guests knew the real backstory to Dead End that year). As for the websites.. seriously, get a grip. Why would the company spend thousands on interactive games for the same 50 people to play, knowing they were coming to the event regardless? They were losing money with it. Simple. I'd much rather them pour that monety into the actual event anyway. 

Pretty sure the hatred is down to a science: TWD comes the year there's no theme, icon, website and it immediately gets hated no matter what because in the back (some of you the front) of your minds, you associate it with the changes. Reality is, HHN has been a BETTER EVENT because of TWD and will continue to be better off after it's gone. The event will not ever close at midnight this year. The houses last year had a noticeable quality improvement across the board. This extra money didnt just magically appear. Also, you cant complain about this being a "repeat" when there is a giant werewolf in the room. Jack is appearing for the 7th time, 4th time headlining, but that's ok, right?

• Like 4

For the "waist deep in water" scene I was thinking of an effect that I've seen haunts use before. A local haunt called A Petrified Forest uses this water effect using fog and lasers. It literally feels like your walking through water, and you can't see the actors from underneath. It's a really interesting effect and it's really cool. Do you think this is something they would use for the house? (Just thought it was something worth mentioning)

This is what it looks like:

?m=02&d=20131020&t=2&i=804435264&w=&fh=5

Edited by JackTheREAPER
  • Like 2

Fun houses but 4 years IN A ROW gets less and less appealing. Its Zombies man. I love the show and watch it religiously, but it is seeing the same stuff over and over. Meh. I'm sure it will be a blast, and bet your ass I will go through it multiple times... but would I rather see something else? That answer is yes.

• Like 1

USA Today said it best, I think:

The Walking Dead is coming back to life for  Halloween Horror Nights  at Universal Studios. It will not be pretty.

EDIT: Why does anything copy pasted look weird? Why can't I change the text "The Walking Dead" in that quote above to a color that can actually be seen on this forum? 

Edited by Dr. Jimmy
  • Like 1

Jack - they will have actual water.

Let's just look the last two icons HHN used: Fear and Lady Luck. Both were universally hated by the "fans". Hated. Trashed. Why would they even bother anymore then? Also, bear with me here, this event dpes not need an icon anymore.

If I recall they didn't want to use Lady Luck, and Fear was butchered.

• Like 1

Is it just me or does it feel like every year when they announce The Walking Dead they exclaim "MORE WALKERS!" 

I'm sure there will be scenes that I really enjoy, and I'm sure I'll have fun going through it. Thing is, after 4 years it just feels like the same thing. Same zombies, same woods, same grocery stores, etc. I wish zombies were still scary, but now they're just overused money makers... I was hoping we would at least get Fear The Walking Dead for a change in setting.

I'm just not gonna waste time complaining about it anymore because once we go through it, will it really be that terrible? 

• Like 1

Is it just me or does it feel like every year when they announce The Walking Dead they exclaim "MORE WALKERS!" 

I'm sure there will be scenes that I really enjoy, and I'm sure I'll have fun going through it. Thing is, after 4 years it just feels like the same thing. Same zombies, same woods, same grocery stores, etc. I wish zombies were still scary, but now they're just overused money makers... I was hoping we would at least get Fear The Walking Dead for a change in setting.

I'm just not gonna waste time complaining about it anymore because once we go through it, will it really be that terrible? 

Agreed. It feels so damn limited. It's a perfect recreation of the show. And that's bad. It's a drama, not a horror.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the hatred is down to a science: TWD comes the year there's no theme, icon, website and it immediately gets hated no matter what because in the back (some of you the front) of your minds, you associate it with the changes. Reality is, HHN has been a BETTER EVENT because of TWD and will continue to be better off after it's gone. The event will not ever close at midnight this year. The houses last year had a noticeable quality improvement across the board. This extra money didn't just magically appear. Also, you cant complain about this being a "repeat" when there is a giant werewolf in the room. Jack is appearing for the 7th time, 4th time headlining, but that's ok, right?

I disagree. It did coincide with all that (and I did not like those things) but I don't like having TWD shoved down my throat either.

I don't like the reuse of Jack (but at least it's something in the way of "original" content). Also, he is just the MC. It's not like they are doing Clown O vision again. TWD however is the same boring monster. I was tired of zombies years before TWD came to HHN.

I'm not happy about AWIL being back. I think it is absolutely unnecessary.  I loved the house but I don't need to see it again. Especially this soon.

I thought all but the second house of TWD were boring. Really just pointless gimmicks to bring people in.

Couple that with the steep prices and unmanageable crowds and it's just too much for me. 24 years was enough for me.

The event is what it is and I've decided it isn't for me anymore. Which has been freeing actually. I will pay less overall, see far more unique content, have a better time, and go to many more events for the same price as the rigamarole that I was going through with HHN. 

Regardless, its a personal decision. There is no reason to voice opinions on any of it IMO. They, the powers that be, don't care about the fan base in the least. They only care about money. They found their cash cow and nothing the fans say or do will matter. So I am no longer a fan. (of the event, I'm always a fan of creativity). It's pretty cut and dry for me and I barely even think about this event anymore unless I have to post about it.

Edited by JDW
  • Like 3

I love the show and have  been underwhelmed with 1st and 3rd houses as well (missed the year of the 2nd) but I think the scenes mentioned in the description and stuff sound cool.  Also, since they call it "The Living and the Dead" I wonder if that means we'll have a significant non-zombie scareactor presence this year.  I know that was a complaint of some and maybe they listened to the surveys.  I'd like to see something with a group of @$$hole humans who get attacked by zombies in an early room (wearing outfits you WON'T forget or overlook) and then later in the house, you see zombies with the same signature outfits.  That would be kinda cool and something I've been thinking about.  Like a guy in a motorcycle suit and a helmet on who gets attacked....and then later you see a zombie with the same helmet, but the face plate smashed, and a guy in makeup underneath.

While it's still "just zombies", the subtitle and scenes listed actually give me hope for the house this year.

I love the show and have  been underwhelmed with 1st and 3rd houses as well (missed the year of the 2nd) but I think the scenes mentioned in the description and stuff sound cool.  Also, since they call it "The Living and the Dead" I wonder if that means we'll have a significant non-zombie scareactor presence this year.  I know that was a complaint of some and maybe they listened to the surveys.  I'd like to see something with a group of @$$hole humans who get attacked by zombies in an early room (wearing outfits you WON'T forget or overlook) and then later in the house, you see zombies with the same signature outfits.  That would be kinda cool and something I've been thinking about.  Like a guy in a motorcycle suit and a helmet on who gets attacked....and then later you see a zombie with the same helmet, but the face plate smashed, and a guy in makeup underneath.

While it's still "just zombies", the subtitle and scenes listed actually give me hope for the house this year.

Over in Hollywood, Murdy claimed that because the first part of their maze is Terminus, it will be mostly humans for the first half. I presume since we have Terminus as well and the Hunters, a good portion of the maze will be human characters.  

I'm a bit disappointed that they're bringing TWD back, and I'm a bit fan of the show. But the house and the others before it are NOT the show. To me these are generic zombie houses with TWD stamped on it. Comparing the houses to the actual show is like comparing a cubic zirconia to a diamond. I've also been thinking what would happen to the event should Universal be unable to use the franchise since it's bound to happen sooner or later.

I understand how people feel about this house but in my opinion it isn't exactly TWD that's killing the event's originality. It's the overuse of IPs in general. I'm not against the use of IPs since some IP houses were quite successful (ex. AWIL, CitW, FDTD, ect.) but there were also some IPs that were a waste of space that could've went to a original house. (ex. Silent Hill, RE, The Thing premake) I believe what Universal needs to do is put a cap on the number of IPs the Orlando event could use per year (like only 3 or 4 a year.) thus they have to pick the best IPs that could attract fans (like TWD) or IPs that would make classic houses. (AWIL, Halloween, NOES: Dreamwalkers)

As for TWD, I'm planning on not going on it unless reviews convince me otherwise.

I thought 2012's house was ok, I liked 2013's, and I really liked last year's. I don't like the show in the slightest anymore. 2nd and 3rd seasons were alright, but the 3rd's finale through season 4 was awful and I stopped watching. Zombies are boring and aren't scary in the slightest to me. That being said, last year' house, despite what a lot of people say, was a LOT of fun to walk through. Walker after walker, interesting (albeit not very detailed) sets, and a decent length. Fatigue wore in quick with this one, as it's more or less 50 of the same character in one house, but for someone who only did it once, maybe twice, it was a blast to walk through, and one of the only houses last year to get me to jump (the others being Halloween and Dollhouse. The rest were thoroughly unscary). 

My biggest problem with TWD has always been the fact that it takes over ALL marketing, merchandise, etc. Most merch the past 3 years has been TWD, a shirt for 2-3 of the IPs, and the house logos with a generic, crappy tagline in the same ol' font. I've only gotten the house shirt each year, as I refuse to keep spending money on merch for a property I don't like. This year, however, it seems that even Uni execs have realized TWD fatigue is settling in real quick outside of the bigger TWD fans, and it's not the center of attention anymore. FvJ, Insidious, and Jack/the anniversary are all way more present already. So if all we have to deal with for the foreseeable future is having TWD as just another house, I can make my peace with that.

I know that's not how it "should" be, and that repeating the same IP for years in a row is unprecedented, but that's the way it is. They're gonna do what makes them the most money, and forcing them to do just that one house and then have A&D be at liberty for the rest of the lineup (give or take a synergistic promo a la Drac) is good enough for them. And as long as the event continues to produce a quality lineup of houses and offer me fun times, I'm gonna go. No reason to be upset or annoyed over a house being there when A. I've no control over it, B. there's nothing I can do about it, and C. even if it sucks, there's still 8 other houses to enjoy.

/endrant

• Like 1

For all of you who just llove to complain about every little thing, HHN added a survey question about TWD on their site survey. 

If you really care, go submit an answer, its not going to do harm. 

"

The AMC show “The Walking Dead” has been featured as a haunted house and/or scare zones at Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror nights for three years in a row in 2012, 2013, and 2014. Each year the attractions based on this show are based on the most current season of “The Walking Dead.”

What is your opinion about basing a haunted house for Halloween Horror Nights 2015 on “The Walking Dead?"
  • This is a great idea. Walking Dead is awesome. It never gets old.

• This is not a good idea. Walking Dead is awesome, but It’s been done already.

• This is a bad idea and it was never a good idea.

• I have no strong opinion about this issue"

Guest kiwisoup

I'm intrigued by the water aspect and am interested to see how that works. Also with the subtitle being "The Living and the Dead" it's almost like they are making a statement that there will be quite a few living characters. I'm hoping there will be an actual battle scene to start off with, although it will assuredly only be generic Terminus people shooting at you or something...

We basically have Terminus, the church, the flooded food bank, the wolves trap, the storm barn. Some other possible candidates are Grady Memorial Hospital, Alexandria, the woods, Noah's hometown, the supply run building...can't remember any others really.

• Mark M. changed the title to The Walking Dead: The Living And The Dead