HHN 25 Discussion

FYI, some of the cast from TWD will be at HHN tonight.  Norman Reedus, Andrew Lincoln and Chandler Riggs.  As to what they'll be doing, that I can't say.  It would be pretty cool if they randomly appeared in the house a couple times.  I'd imagine they'll get a tour of the event with Aiello.

Edited by Pandry

Bored at work  on a Friday so figured I'd share a quick review of HHN Hollywood with some of the Orlando folks. For some background - I make the trip down to Orlando once a year for HHN and this year went two nights while I was down there since it was so freaking incredible.

Anyways, I've been going to HHN in Orlando for the past four years and have become quite the die hard fan. Since I started going, I've always been curious as to what it was like out in Hollywood. After my amazing experience in Orlando this year, I got the fever and the only prescription was more Horror Nights. Booked a last minute flight out to Cali and did HHN Hollywood last Saturday.

It was great but I decided to share my experience on this thread in case anyone has ever or is currently experiencing the HHN fever. Where do I begin.....well, in summary, it just doesn't hold a candle to the overall Orlando experience and atmosphere. I think this stems from a couple of factors including the layout of the two parks, the history element in Orlando (especially this year), and weak scare zones. The layout of the park makes the whole event feel disconnected and fails to create the same atmosphere that you find in Orlando. I go to HHN in Orlando for the scares but the atmosphere is also half the fun. I'll attempt a very high level review below - please ask any questions you may have!

Scare Zones - small, boring, and just not effective. Not even really worth giving you a full review. Dark Christmas was the best but not by far. Not enough scare actors to be effective

Houses

The Walking Dead: Wolves Not Far - my favorite Walking Dead house to date - lots of scares throughout - very similar layout to Orlando's but actually had the cool TERMINUS facade

Insidious: Return to the Further - much better than the Orlando house - weak facade but so many incredible scares! The red demon was literally around every corner - no gun shot scene which I wasn't a fan of anyway in Orlando.

Halloween: Michael Myers Comes Home - not as good as last year's Halloween house in Orlando - room with all the Michael's not as effective

AVP - pretty much identical to the Orlando version, eh

Crimson Peak: Maze of Madness - talk about set design - even though I heard the movie is terrible, I can see this coming to Orlando next year for the awe factor - it had some good scares but was literally like being in a gothic castle with blood flowing around every corner

This is the End 3D - I'm a big fan of the movie and took the glass half full approach to it. Not scary at all but had a few funny moments for fans of the film, especially Michael Cera outside the house with a streetlight going through him. 3D was pretty ineffective and the demons were not what I was hoping for, very weak puppets. I wasn't that big of a fan of Asylum but This is the End doesn't even belong in the same conversation.

Terror Tram: Survive the Purge: This was one of the things I was looking forward to most. Curiosity for the most part but really enjoyed the Purge in Orlando so was hoping for more of the same in Hollywood. Boy was I disappointed. In summary, it was a walk past people standing directly in front of you with knives. How is that scary? Since it's on the back lot, it was also hard to take these guys seriously as we walked through the How the Grinch Stole Christmas set.

I didn't do The Jabbawockeez show because well, why would i? So there you have it. Hopefully I saved some people some cash through this review. It's still a great event on the west coast but if you're in the Orlando area - no need to ever make the trip. And if you're going to make one trip a year, make it Orlando. OH AND DID I MENTION THERE IS NO ALCOHOL???????????????????????

• Like 1

If I was a house op and I found a coin I'd take it too with the #sorrynotsorry mindset (I'm a jerk.lol). A lot of people who sign up work the event despite the long hours and the drunks are also fans if you get the chance to chatter with them.

I imagine they have to deal with a lot of BS guests who try to harm their sets/actors and so forth while standing in the same spot(s) all night. 

• Like 1

The coins are a fun thing a fan is doing. Universal is preventing others from finding them. Doesn't get in the way of operating the event. It enhances the experience. 

I don't think the company is preventing it; more-so just a matter of someone standing in a room all day wants them too.

If you stood there all night and saw a coin you mean to tell me you wouldn't take it for yourself?

The coins are a fun thing a fan is doing. Universal is preventing others from finding them. Doesn't get in the way of operating the event. It enhances the experience. 

Until someone on the Internet heard about it, thinks its legitimately some Universal is condoning, then complains to Universal when they don't find any.

It's a liability issue. I'm glad to see them taking such a proactive stance on something so innocuous. It will (hopefully) prevent some fan from trying something bigger but still unofficial.

• Like 4

If the ops want them too, that's fair game. If ops are being told to find them and trash them, that's lame.

I disagree with Legacy. Universal should be doing this officially, rather than a fan. To say hiding HHN coins is a liability issue would be like saying GATs in houses are too.

• Like 1

If the ops want them too, that's fair game. If ops are being told to find them and trash them, that's lame.

I disagree with Legacy. Universal should be doing this officially, rather than a fan. To say hiding HHN coins is a liability issue would be like saying GATs in houses are too.

GATs ARE a liability. Just like crouching tunnels , tilted walkways and air jet bursts. The difference between those things and the coins is that all of those things were approved by management. The coins weren't.

It's Universal's event, and despite the opinion of many, it's strictly theirs.

• Like 3

GATs ARE a liability. Just like crouching tunnels , tilted walkways and air jet bursts. The difference between those things and the coins is that all of those things were approved by management. The coins weren't.

It's Universal's event, and despite the opinion of many, it's strictly theirs.

You cannot say it that it would not have been a great thing for universal to do for the 25th anniversary to plant coins from past events each night in the houses for guests. Heck, it would have been great to make coins for the more recent years and then make a rare 25th year coin and plant them. 

anyway, I'm not trying to fight with ya. Just reporting the info that I got from the lead. 

Edited by Doctor Cogstein
  • Like 2

the coins shouldn't be placed secretly around the houses like that

but Universal could have done something cool like give them away in the Jack show, have the Maniacs on stage throw them to the crowd. Or the Bill and ted actors throw them around the audience. 
or have the Icons give them away to the people watching the mini shows.... 

or have the clowns give them away or something, I don't know, there are so many ways that they could have been given away if someone at Universal thought about it. (Two scarezones have mini stages with actors in them, maybe the actors in the stages could have thrown them. 

make it fun. Specially because of being the 25th anniversary, like Doctor Cogstein said, it would have been nice to have coins made for this year.  I know it is too late now, but it just makes me think that it could have been something cool 

Edited by clash
  • Like 2

After doing an Unmasking the Horror tour it is depressing to see how much damage the houses go though over the course of the event. People wanting to keep a piece of the house or just straight up vandalism. The coins are only known to a few but just think what would happen if EVERYONE was hunting for them. And if you were just given one would that really hold the sentimental value of actually finding one on your own? Honestly, they are out there and I think you just aren't looking hard enough ;) If my close friend Mr. Allosaurus can find some, so can you!

20151025_003122.jpg

• Like 1

Jack's Maniacs have "taken over" the Twitter account again, and based on this response...

it appears something may be in store? LT? 

Also, the Universal blog recently posted something that said Jack Presents was HOTY, which IMO is a good sign.

Edited by ForeverEvil1

On the other hand, it seems Carrie quit due to harassment and ass grabbing. That's unfortunate news since she was one of the best scareactors this year. 

Think it's time Universal stops with the Florida discounts and UCF nights to cut back on crowds. 

On the other hand, it seems Carrie quit due to harassment and ass grabbing. That's unfortunate news since she was one of the best scareactors this year. 

Think it's time Universal stops with the Florida discounts and UCF nights to cut back on crowds. 

from what I am reading on other places, it is mostly teens doing this. (And some drunks of course)

also, I don't remember if it was here, or somewhere else but someone mentioned the worst nights were when guests were from out of town. I can't really remember where that was said but even if you take out the discounts, as long as alcohol and young kids are allowed not much might change even by taking out the discounts. but who knows. 

from what I am reading on other places, it is mostly teens doing this. (And some drunks of course)
also, I don't remember if it was here, or somewhere else but someone mentioned the worst nights were when guests were from out of town. I can't really remember where that was said but even if you take out the discounts, as long as alcohol and young kids are allowed not much might change even by taking out the discounts. but who knows. 

Good point. They also need to implement an age ban unless accompanied by an adult; much like R rated movies. 

People have always expressed their feelings towards making it adult only. My fear with this is adults will become even more drunk or cause more problems because it's an "adult only" event so those who do keep themselves in check for the most part because they do see that there are kids around might let go a little bit more if that were the case.

Honestly the only thing that could help is making harassment a more serious offense or making the rules more prominent instead of using the fine print. They could use an entire flap of a map to point out 1. Don't try to scare actors 2. Don't touch Actors 3. No masks/costumes 3. Shirts/Shoes all times or whatever the full rules are and have a sign before every zone and every house. Heck maybe print smaller US paper sized ones and put them at bars. I don't think anyone gets involved other than a "hey don't do that" unless punches are thrown (which probably doesn't do anything. If you're intentionally being a jerk; you're going to continue to be a jerk regardless of if someone told you not to be. You're just going to wander to a different area and rinse;repeat). 

Also we can say it's the drunks; kids; teens; residents; out of towners. The reality really is; manners seem to have gone out the window no matter your age or where you're from in this point of time. Kids and adults alike have no respect, manners for others other than themselves. I was taking a picture with someone and once had another group completely butt into my picture phones in mine and the actors face begging for their own instead of patiently waiting their turn for the actor to be free. 

No Florida Discounts are likely not going to happen because Florida residents pay for a lot of Theme Park improvement projects (Downtown Disneys Parking Garages for example) out of taxpayer money. UCF night though is questionable. 

Edited by MissBA

They could have cameras watching the scarezones , then if a scareactor is assaulted/groped they notify

their supervisor with a description of said punk, reveiw tape , give sercurity description, when found ban for 

life and of course file charges. there is only one way out of the park .  As the great Barney Fife says "You got to 

nip it in the bud"

Does anyone know if there has been any sellout nights this year?  Or historically if the final nights of the event sell out?   I am hoping to upgrade my FF ticket to a FFP ticket for this Friday so I can attend with a friend, but I won't get to Orlando until Friday afternoon in order to do so.  Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what the likelihood of that being possible is. 

http://behindthethrills.com/2015/10/is-halloween-horror-nights-safe-an-open-letter-to-scareactors-and-fans/

I dont know if this has been shared yet but I feel so bad for the actors. I am probably one of HHN's biggest fans, and I also enjoy alcohol  (safely) as much as the next person but I think it's either time for it to go or to put a drink limit into effect. I've been going at least four times a year for the past 5 years, I'm still a noob, and at least once a year I see a drunk idiot "tough guy" try to fight someone who has scared him. I hate that the event is a bravery pissing contest for some people, because for me and my group of friends I traditionally go with its about being in movie quality sets and getting a fun scare. I also think they should cut down on the amount of people they let in the event.