HHN 25 Discussion

Personal opinion, Gringotts isn't all that stellar of a ride. It's like a watered down version of the mummy with TV screens. By itself it's just "meh". Although I still prefer it over the motion sickness enticing ride that is The Forbidden Journey. Gringotts gets undoubtably busy during the day. But what makes it busy is just the whole immersive Wizarding World experience. It's not the same without hogsmeade, and the rest of the world open. The whole thing is an experience, only keeping one part of it open doesn't really do much for anyone, especially the fans. 

This early on, most of the attendees are AP's and locals who have probably already ridden the ride by now and could care less by now. We'll see how it does later on when more out of towners come in. 

Rides won't alleviate waits. Only thing that will is increasing the price. Crowds will go down, hardcore fans will stay, less desirables won't be around. I'm actually for that.

In my personal experience, price hikes & hardcore fans don't mix well..... That will likely backfire. 

People who never paid $50 for something will have no problem paying $100 for it. 

I quit going to an event because they raised the prices too much without raising the content value. It's been the same exact event for the past 2-3 years since I quit going. They bring in more and more people yearly despite no significant changes. A lot of the old timers of the event like myself quit attending. That's the reality of it all. We helped build it and left it for others to enjoy it as it is now. 

• Like 2

I have to echo what a lot of people are saying...  We went this year (our 18th year), but his will be our last for some time.  We used to be the hardcore fan that would go MANY times per season (despite living two hours away), but with the increased guests and prices, and the lack of more content has really driven us away.

we used to love all the websites and games, along with the Legndary Truth stuff for people like us (the hardcore fans).  I still cannot believe that it costs THAT much, so why did marketing get rid of it?  At the end, it was management simply not caring about ones loyal fans that was the last straw.

we went last Saturday, with an RIP tour.  If you only have one night to go and can afford it, it totally recommend it!  We got every house covered, and even did our four favorites three additional times!  However, this was our last "hoorah", so... Good to go out with a bang, as it were.

Edited by Samayel
  • Like 1

This, in a couple weeks, will be my first time going to Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando and I am very excited because I’ve been wanting to go for six years but couldn’t find time. I know all about the icons and the prior events so I’m especially excited that I will be going on a year where Jack is back (as well as Psychoscareapy).

I do have a some questions if anyone would be so kind as to answer them.

1) The only two houses I am dead-set on going to are Run and Body Collectors. I’m open to any other houses. To those who’ve went, which are the best ones?

2) How good are the scare zones? Which ones are the best?

3) Do they serve food and if so, is it any good?

4) Are the lines for the rides long?

5) Are the HHN Express Passes worth it? Do they make much of a different? I will be going on a Friday (which I hear is the worst night to go on).

6) Do they sell HHN apparel and merchandise at the hotels?

Edited by EthanH
  • Like 1

1) The only two houses I am dead-set on going to are Run and Body Collectors. I’m open to any other houses. To those who’ve went, which are the best ones?

2) How good are the scare zones? Which ones are the best?

3) Do they serve food and if so, is it any good?

4) Are the lines for the rides long?

5) Are the HHN Express Passes worth it? Do they make much of a different? I will be going on a Friday (which I hear is the worst night to go on).

Answers:

1) Freddy vs Jason, Monsters & Mayhem, Body Collectors

2) Enjoyable, but not the best they've been.

3) Same food as their regular daytime food. It's good enough.

4) No.

5) You need to get this to do the houses all in one night.

Note, if you're going to the first time, you have to realize you'll have a phenomenal time. But, try not to do the houses within the first 30 minutes of it opening. The sunlight is still enough to make your eyes not able to adjust to the house at first.

• Like 1

run never gets lines as long as Freddy vs Jason.

freddy vs Jason gets the longest lines because that's the best house.

Alice in wonderland has the shortest lines.

streets are the best of the past 3 years, not as great as other years but still much better than before.

express helps if u can afford it. It always helps.

• Like 1

so it's my understanding that Diagon Alley did very little to help with house wait times. In fact, it seems like the exact opposite happened. All the rides are nearly walk-ons, save for Rip Ride Rock-It.

So far, largely yes. Tho keep in mind Gringotts has far better capacity than a house, a 10-minute line there is a lot more people than a 10-minute line at Insidious.

I suspect Diagon will absorb more as the event becomes less about the die-hards with RoF/FFP, and more about the general public who only comes one night a year.

• Like 1

Lines for Rockit and Mummy will not be short as the event continues. Rockit's already gotten up to 55min last weekend, and always gets to 90 min on most peak nights. I've seen Mummy hit 70 min on peak nights, and even non peak nights when Rockit's down. Gringotts has a monster capacity, so it likely won't get over 30-45min. MiB, Simpsons and Transformers tend to be 15-25min, and will hit 45 on the most crowded nights, but not much more than that I bet.

• Like 1

Lines for Rockit and Mummy will not be short as the event continues. Rockit's already gotten up to 55min last weekend, and always gets to 90 min on most peak nights. I've seen Mummy hit 70 min on peak nights, and even non peak nights when Rockit's down. Gringotts has a monster capacity, so it likely won't get over 30-45min. MiB, Simpsons and Transformers tend to be 15-25min, and will hit 45 on the most crowded nights, but not much more than that I bet.

But add that more people will go to the event overall, and will simultaneously fill house queues..

I really enjoyed this past weekend! Third time going to the event and while I have my issues (I'll eventually get around to writing a full review) I thought it was great in general.

But was it me or did there seem to be a lot of "accidents?" As I said this was only my third time attending HHN but at least three times over the course of two night (believe it was Thursday and Saturday) my girlfriend and I saw medics surrounding people on the ground. Not sure what happened, and obviously wasn't going to ask but it seemed like an odd spike of instances like that that I'd never personally seen at HHN before. 

You'll love it, my friend.  But bring your walking shoes.  Universal Orlando is much larger than Universal Hollywood.  I haven't been to HHN out there but I've been to the park itself.

I went to hhn orlando in 2013, I know the size of the park. Sucks that you guys got 9 mazes and we only got 6.

Edited by Sir2lazyThe2nd

Question. What was the worst maze this year at orlando? Every year I allow myself a spoiler for the worst maze this year. I did it for This Is The End this year, so what was the worst one?

the walking dead

btw how did you spoil the worst maze in Hollywood, if you haven't gone through them or had any knowledge of them before going

Edited by foodstampsFTW
  • Like 1

But was it me or did there seem to be a lot of "accidents?" As I said this was only my third time attending HHN but at least three times over the course of two night (believe it was Thursday and Saturday) my girlfriend and I saw medics surrounding people on the ground. Not sure what happened, and obviously wasn't going to ask but it seemed like an odd spike of instances like that that I'd never personally seen at HHN before. 

Weird you say this because I saw a staff member collapse exiting Run on Friday night. She was just standing watching people exit the house and looked perfectly fine, a few seconds later she was on the ground unconscious. Our group went to see if she was okay, but the security told all the people crowding around to leave. We were wondering if the fumes the chainsaw gas was getting to her because that house seems to have poor ventilation since the fumes linger around. The rest of the night we all felt so bad, I hope she's okay. 

Weird you say this because I saw a staff member collapse exiting Run on Friday night. She was just standing watching people exit the house and looked perfectly fine, a few seconds later she was on the ground unconscious. Our group went to see if she was okay, but the security told all the people crowding around to leave. We were wondering if the fumes the chainsaw gas was getting to her because that house seems to have poor ventilation since the fumes linger around. The rest of the night we all felt so bad, I hope she's okay. 

I work special events throughout the year elsewhere in Florida. Not necessarily with the park but I used to work at a convention and a rave as staff. Generally most issues the source of the problem is a hydration or nutrition issue by passing proper meals and drinking lots of water over the course of the event. I used to be a big advocate about this with the event staff I worked with. I made sure everyone ate properly at least once throughout the day instead of junk food. 

These situations are magnets for "accidents". Especially amongst staff members who pull long exhausting nights and probably still try to balance a day job. While I can't comment on the girl in your story directly as I do not know the situation and I too hope she's fine. But overexertion or not knowing your limits for events amongst staff is a real thing. Especially when they mess up your normal routines for only a weekend, week, or in this case a month for horror nights. You need to know your limits and eat properly and stay hydrated. Also you need to know how well you can handle fog, loud noises, and strobes. 

I used to be on seizure patrol for raves and let me tell you, it was a terrifying duty to have and I have had to deal with them unfortunately as they do happen without fail despite warnings verbal and written. Hydration was still the biggest factor for attendees/staff falling ill during raves/working and not just the strobes. When you dance a lot in a hot crowded space, people need to remember they should get a drink of water occasionally.

It's Florida, it's hot. Even though it's "fall" or it's "dark" it's still Florida attendees and employees a like need to stay hydrated. Especially attendees if alcohol is involved to balance it out with the amount of exercise you're doing walking and standing around for houses in the heat.

This doesn't even touch base on sad truth that no matter what kind of haunt you have, small or large. There's always people who react when scared or startled with violence even if unintentional.

TL;DR not weird at all unfortunately. Please stay safe and especially hydrated during your visits to HHN!

Hmm. That sounded a lot like a PSA. Most people here are veterans and don't need to know that bit of into. While the topic of 'accidents' was fresh. It's still important :)

Granny BA is out~

• Like 3