HHN 25 Discussion

Sooooo glad I have express for tonight. Freddy vs Jason is saying 90 minutes right now. And Body Collectors is at 60. 

Gonna start watching the shows in a little while. I caught a glimpse of the Jack show while walking to Asylum but I wanna see it from the beginning. 

• Like 2

Sooooo glad I have express for tonight. Freddy vs Jason is saying 90 minutes right now. And Body Collectors is at 60. 

Gonna start watching the shows in a little while. I caught a glimpse of the Jack show while walking to Asylum but I wanna see it from the beginning. 

How has M&M's waits been?

How has M&M's waits been?

It was at 40 minutes about an hour ago. Not sure what it is now. 

But of a clusterfuck at the FvJ entrance. There aren't signs that say which line is express and which is regular and some of the attendees are telling people to get in the wrong one. 

• Like 1

Any queue videos?!

None that I saw.

I just got home. I did everything except AWIL and by the time I got out of Bill and Ted, it was another hour before the next Jack show and I was too exhausted to wait. I'll see it when I go back next week.

I usually only go this time in the season because it's the least crowded, but tonight was excruciating. I gotta think it was the fact that it didn't rain at all today. Hoping it dies down a little next week because I only got Express for tonight. I'm crashing now (gotta be up for work in 7 hours), but I'll try to write up a review in the other section tomorrow.

• Like 1

I had a feeling it would be packed. I know a lot of people thought that having Diagon open and a 9th house would mean shorter lines but I knew that wouldn't be the case. More stuff open means more people can come and the reviews from employee preview night alone made this out to be one of the best HHN years ever. Marketing is on point and with it being a major milestone, lots of people want to go just to say they attended the 25th year. I don't think crowds will be getting shorter anytime soon...just worse. Only exception will be on very rainy evenings. 

• Like 2

Agreed.  In fact the people I went in with all said it's the worst house they've been in in 15 years.  I walked out and just thought...WTF?

That's pretty much my take on the entire event this year.  So much so, in fact, that this may well be my last HHN.  Not sure who the forum member was, JWD, _mz, someone well known here, who opted to skip this year, well, smart move.

So many dissapointments and just in your face, obnoxious details but here are some that really stand out:

Loud does not equal scary.  Unless you're an infant.  Universal seems to think that just blaring loud sounds and music mixed together somehow is scary.  Um, it isn't and certainly shows lack of creativity.

That goes for the "25" images projected onto buildings.  Really?  Talk about a lack of theme.  Here's a news flash too: No one fucking cares.  13, 21, 24 or 25, just stick to a theme.  Even obnoxious Jack images would have been better.

Thanks for bringing back, and creating new, AMAZING effects for TWD.  That water scene, you know, a garden hose emptying into some type of plastic bucket, wow! Mind blown!  And the shit-tastic zombie group from last year?  Thank you!

Purge? Yeah, spray painted hallways and strobe lights.  

AWIL is, granted, a great house but, let's be real, it's no different than last year.  Certainly not better.  In fact, I think it lost some detail.

RUN?  WTF.  Just, WTF.

I could go on, but, why?  The fanboi "everything is amazing and I'll pay any amount and stand in any wait times for it" mentality is what's likely most detrimental to the event.  I dare say, HHN may well have passed it's prime.

• Like 1

That's pretty much my take on the entire event this year.  So much so, in fact, that this may well be my last HHN.  Not sure who the forum member was, JWD, _mz, someone well known here, who opted to skip this year, well, smart move.

So many dissapointments and just in your face, obnoxious details but here are some that really stand out:

Loud does not equal scary.  Unless you're an infant.  Universal seems to think that just blaring loud sounds and music mixed together somehow is scary.  Um, it isn't and certainly shows lack of creativity.

That goes for the "25" images projected onto buildings.  Really?  Talk about a lack of theme.  Here's a news flash too: No one fucking cares.  13, 21, 24 or 25, just stick to a theme.  Even obnoxious Jack images would have been better.

Thanks for bringing back, and creating new, AMAZING effects for TWD.  That water scene, you know, a garden hose emptying into some type of plastic bucket, wow! Mind blown!  And the shit-tastic zombie group from last year?  Thank you!

AWIL is, granted, a great house but, let's be real, it's no different than last year.  Certainly not better.  In fact, I think it lost some detail.

RUN?  WTF.  Just, WTF.

I could go on, but, why?  The fanboi "everything is amazing and I'll pay any amount and stand in any wait times for it" mentality is what's likely most detrimental to the event.  I dare say, HHN may well have passed it's prime.

That's a shame. The only house I went into on employee preview was 25 Years of M&M and it was fantastic. One of the best houses I've seen. I'll temper my expectations for everything else then.

RUN?  WTF.  Just, WTF.

I kind of agree.  I was thinking something was wrong with me for not liking the houses.  FvJ started good, but the videos made me LOL.  I did like BC, but I honestly didnt like any other house that much.  The facades are all good, but the rest... I mean just walking into M&M and seeing the sets for older houses...then going into the new ones, it makes it completely obvious the lack of detail and scale for this year.  I didnt do RUN or the Purge because I kept hearing how poor they are.

Also the music in NY?  What the heck?  Loud and just....made no sense.  

I just think this year is generic.  The only thing I truly enjoyed was the central park area.  It was spot on....even though ever costume, prop and scare was recycled.

Also, I had Express passes and have never waited as long as I did last night.  The line for Express on Insidious was out to the ENTRANCE.  Same thing for FvJ.  I waited 45 minutes with Express!  Oh well.  I have been going since 1993 and maybe I am just past my prime.  lol

So now that the event has started, what was this in reference to?

I was being told (by a solid source) that ALL houses would have queue videos. Thus the 2004 tidbit since that was the only year were every house had them.

I'm assuming they aren't there though. Disappointing, really.

EDIT - Sorry to hear the bloom is coming off the rose for people this year...

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 1

Lol. The nitpicky is strong right now.

Really, projections of 25 on the side of buildings and NY's music ruin your night? That's enough to send you over the edge? Projections are meh, but I wouldn't really let something like that ruin the mood. As for the music it's a block party with Shadybrook Asylum. They have some classic halloween songs like the Witch Doctor I've heard the Theme from A Summer Place is thrown in though I haven't heard it but that's a Shadybrook Staple.

Is the music loud? Yes, but so are general guest noises, screams, chainsaws etc. it'd easily be drowned out otherwise. For instance, I can never hear the opening ceremonies audio over everyone yelling no matter what video I watch. Someone who was there said they couldn't hear it either. It's not like creative has run out of ideas the street of NY. The street has a LOT going on. A lot of props, a lot of mini "shows". 

I'm really not sure what you honestly expected for HHN? It didn't seem like anything horribly major that was so much of a letdown was complained about. I guess lack of theme could be the biggest issue, but there hasn't been a theme in how many years now? Lack of detail might be another but technically it was day 1 and I'd generally give them the full first week to figure things out. They had a mini stage on EP and it was gone on Opening. So there's still things they are undoubtably working on until the event gets to peak nights later on.

Edited by MissBA
  • Like 4

Really, projections of 25 on the side of buildings and NY's music ruin your night? That's enough to send you over the edge? Projections are meh, but I wouldn't really let something like that ruin the mood. As for the music it's a block party with Shadybrook Asylum. They have some classic halloween songs like the Witch Doctor I've heard the Theme from A Summer Place is thrown in though I haven't heard it but that's a Shadybrook Staple.

Is the music loud? Yes, but so are general guest noises, screams, chainsaws etc. it'd easily be drowned out otherwise. For instance, I can never hear the opening ceremonies audio over everyone yelling no matter what video I watch. Someone who was there said they couldn't hear it either. It's not like creative has run out of ideas the street of NY. The street has a LOT going on. A lot of props, a lot of mini "shows". 

I'm really not sure what you honestly expected for HHN? It didn't seem like anything horribly major that was so much of a letdown was complained about. I guess lack of theme could be the biggest issue, but there hasn't been a theme in how many years now? Lack of detail might be another but technically it was day 1 and I'd generally give them the full first week to figure things out. They had a mini stage on EP and it was gone on Opening. So there's still things they are undoubtably working on until the event gets to peak nights later on.

I'm right there with you, I really enjoyed the event it wasn't perfect but it was also opening night I think everything will get better.

The only thing I won't give a second chance is Asylum, I'm not really a 3d house fan though (except for Penn and Teller).
 I guess you and I are just "Fanbois" who are ruining everything because we had a good time.

• Like 2

Is it too early to start 2016's Wishful Thinking? If not, Cooties needs to be at the top of the list.

That said, the frustrations about HHN are valid, as are the praises. I've been the resident curmudgeon for years, but what most people don't realize is that I'm still in awe of the product. The artistic merit of what A&D creates is undeniable. My issue has always been with the management of the event. To my taste, too many people go. That's the crux of it all. Because so many people go, and Universal is trying to create an enjoyable (not crippling) experience for all of the them, the majority of scares are meant to startle and repeat. 

That repitition eventually gets old to people. It won't matter how pretty the sets are when the scares are basically the same thing year after year. I'll give Universal credit. They're trying to do new things where they can. But with an endless congo line, there's only so much you can do.

• Like 6

The music in NY is not what I am taking about....there's a backing track of, what I assume, is panic - disorder.  It's impossible to discern what the point is since it just sounds like a bunch of noise.  

The projections.. do you remember Acid Assault?  The projections of the building crumbling?  Compare that originality to static huge 25s everywhere.  A Bloody Mary video was projected on MIB a few years back - even though no one was really in that part of the park.  There's a reason that people don't like the 25 and find it unoriginal.

Although newly posting, I have been here for years.  I posted a couple of years ago a leak and got in trouble so I went back to lurking.  I say that because just because you think your point is valid, I also think mine is too.  I started going during Fright Nights, so it's not like I am some newbie "expecting" something out of this world.  Like I said, when you go through M&M and see all the cool things they've done in the past, then go into the new houses...it's night and day.  

I applaud them for trying hard this year... I think the merchandise (although crazy expensive this year) is awesome, I think having Jack back is awesome, and even the scare zones.  But the houses this year are just blah.  Tell me one house that compares to Gothic, or The Forsaken, or even Dead Silence.  Hell even the 2001 houses that were tamed down were more inventive and exciting. 

I will be there again tonight for sure...because I have a FF+ with Express, so I wont waste it.  

I am glad a lot of people like it (and they do - looking at the general public on Facebook), but that doesnt mean I have to like it as much and it certainly doesnt mean my views/opinions arent valid.

Like JDW, I am trying new things this year...after hearing HOS was crappy, I went last year and had a MUCH better time there...where it seems they still have the "old school haunt" feeling like HHN used to have.

The end of the story is that Orlando's HHN is becoming Hollywood, and I just have to accept that and move on.

Edited by blueoktober

The most obvious effect of the modern cell phone (and accompanying social media) has been the rise of the selfie, which has impacted what scare-zones even are.  But another clear effect is what we might call "Trader Sam's Syndrome"--you know, the bar that had 5-hour waits the day it opened, but is now often just half full. Simply put, people who follow theme parks on social media feel the need to be first. 

I'm wondering how much of that affected the crowd last night. Because that was the worst pre-October crowd I've ever seen (friend who's gone since '98 agreed). If this is the new normal, then a 9th house and Diagon aren't enough. But if things calm down a bit next weekend, probably unfair to judge the event off of last night. 

• Like 2