HHN 25 Discussion

OK so I'm really pressed for time but I managed to make 8 mini sculpts to give out. I have to paint them tonight.

If for whatever reason they don't work out or I can't get to them... It's an anniversary year. I'll bring some of my left over handouts from years past. So... I'll have SOMETHING

• Like 5

I don't think Universal had to approve the released footage, they just had to approve who was allowed to film. 

In 2012 and 2013, Inside the Magic, Attractions Mag. and a bunch of other popular Orlando vloggers (and media) with YouTube channels (Tim Tracker, Discoliz, etc) were invited to a special YouTube Media Night and were given permission to film EVERY house from both of those years. All those videos got released (some didn't film them all, but they could) and can be seen still on YouTube. 

Last year was the first year in a while that filming inside of houses was a big no-no for everybody including media and popular YouTubers. Before last year, they still didn't let guests film, but media was normally allowed. Even back during HHN 20, some media were allowed to film the lights on tour and release the full house with the lights on. 

Okay, I spoke with discoliz (We're actually good friends. She's one of the "HHN Asgardians" and I've designed a couple of haunted trails for her). I had gotten my years confuse. The first year Internet media could film (2011, I think), Universal gave the sites Flipcams which Universal. The footage was reviewed and "heavily edited" before release. The way she describes it, Universal has gotten more open in the last couple of years.

I never understood people who use their express pass when there is like a ten minute wait.  We just stand there and laugh at them and think - wow, you just pissed away some serious $$ for nothing!  Since the pass is for use only one time per house per night, you have to use some strategy and figure out your threshold for waiting.  For us, we will not wait longer than 30-40 minutes.  If it's a house I really love (like Halloween last year), we waited early in the night approx 40 minutes, but then we were able to go again with express later.  Totally worth it.  For something like TWD - I use my express just to see it, and I'm done.  We use the app to monitor wait times and run all over the park to take advantage of that.  I can't stress enough - have a plan, and use your express wisely.

• Like 4

I never understood people who use their express pass when there is like a ten minute wait.  We just stand there and laugh at them and think - wow, you just pissed away some serious $$ for nothing!

This is an excellent point and one I've also witnessed several times.  So much so that I'd tell people in the EP line, don't go now, come back in the regular line, it's just as short.  However, last year was my first EP year.  There were some nights we'd head over after work knowing that we weren't staying long.  There were a few times where we didn't need to use EP for a house but did anyway just to burn it.  Figuring we paid for it, might as well use it, even though it wasn't required.  So it's possible some people are doing just that.  But as mentioned, I have spoken to people in the EP line when it's been unnecessary and they just didn't know any better.

OK so I'm really pressed for time but I managed to make 8 mini sculpts to give out. I have to paint them tonight.

If for whatever reason they don't work out or I can't get to them... It's an anniversary year. I'll bring some of my left over handouts from years past. So... I'll have SOMETHING

How do we get one from you??

yep that's pretty much it. ;)

I'll probably be posting stuff to DD where I am so can give you a rough idea. But I move counterclockwise typically from the party. Often I give a lot of stuff out at the AP party just cuz everyone is there. I got buttons, I'll bring some chicken feet, the figures (crossing my fingers I finish them)... I'll see what else I can dig up and could smuggle in. I'll get a picture of me and what I'm wearing tonight so I'm easier to spot.

yep that's pretty much it. ;)

I'll probably be posting stuff to DD where I am so can give you a rough idea. But I move counterclockwise typically from the party. Often I give a lot of stuff out at the AP party just cuz everyone is there. I got buttons, I'll bring some chicken feet, the figures (crossing my fingers I finish them)... I'll see what else I can dig up and could smuggle in.

Sucks for me! Heading up Oct 4th :(

Anyone know where I could find a spoiler-free review of the houses? Just looking to get some general thoughts without getting too much information 

Anyone know where I could find a spoiler-free review of the houses? Just looking to get some general thoughts without getting too much information 

Here is what someone posted on Orlando United's forum...

Looking around Twitter, the consensus seems to be:

The soundstages and Insidious: Great
TWD: Meh to awful. Good sets but completely lacking in scares.
Asylum: This one is pretty mixed. Some say it's great and the best 3D house they've done, others have said it's a typical 3D house.
Run: The consensus seems to be that it's good but has way too much open space.
Purge: I've been seeing a lot of good reactions from this one. A lot from Scream has been kept over.
Carnage Arrives: Great
Bill and Ted: Mixed
The scarezones all seem like hits.

Edited by criticalanalysis

designing the fear's Twitter page, he posted spoiler free reviews of mostly everything he got to do last night

I managed to kind of stop by. I didn't see the houses nor many of the scarezones but I did see the midnight viewing of Bill and Ted and honestly I absolutely loved it. 

Then again I got all of the references so that's probably why. Unless you're a local half will fly over your head. 

From my friend who did see the houses and zones

They loved M&M and Alice 3D. Unfortunately they didn't catch on that it was an Alice themed house and kept calling it Asylum but they said it was still cool and colorful. 

They also went into body collectors and AWIL. They weren't all that impressed with AWIL. 

Evils Roots was their favorite zone followed by the clown chainsaws. 

On an unrelated note. I take articles/reviews/blogs by those "Insider/Informer/Junkie" sites with a grain of salt. A lot of their articles just regurgitate media releases. Some are pretty heavily biased towards Universal from Disney if you read their articles close enough and often. One of them posted an article on how to cheat the system and get out of paying for an optional feature within the parks by suggesting a method that takes away from others who need to utilize the feature and do not have an option. Was in highly poor taste of an article and the site lost all credibility from then on. 

• Like 3

From my friend who did see the houses and zones

They loved M&M and Alice 3D. Unfortunately they didn't catch on that it was an Alice themed house and kept calling it Asylum but they said it was still cool and colorful. 

well I mean that's not wrong to call it by its name, Asylum in wonderland is the name of the house so Asylum is a pretty reasonable shorthand for it

I can see them not allowing filming to protect their creative ideas from easily being replicated. It's harder to replicate details from memory than having pictures and videos.

and yet... HHN Hollywood has Absolutely no problem with letting EVERYONE film inside the houses... anyone can film, at any time.

So it cannot just be about keeping secrets and not letting people replicate. Not to hate but it seems kind of ridiculous that one coast will have no problem with recording and the other coast will have such a Huge problem with it. Feels like there might be another reason to not allow recording here in Florida.

(I think I read once that they had problems with people stopping the line or something and that's why recording is not allowed)

but I dont know anything else about that. And if they cannot let people record, why not at least let the media record again like they did for 2012? 2012 had recordings of every single house.... so It cannot be about protecting creative ideas... 

(Specially when people that go on tours of the houses are able to take pics of everything inside  the house with the Lights ON).... for God's sake.... lol, this is  so bizarre. 

In regards to the recording, I feel like it has something to do with spoiling the contents. If someone watches a full walkthrough on YouTube, they might not be inclined to purchase a ticket. It might not feel worth it to them. They will occasionally let media and whomever record snippets and edit it into a "trailer" sort of like a full length movie has, but they don't want to release the entire "movie" for free to everybody.

Of course watching the video is nothing like being there and experiencing it first hand, but people may think "eh, doesn't seem worth it" and pass. Where if the same person can't find footage of the houses online, they will instead purchase a ticket and come to the event to check it out.

Just another possibility I suppose.

Edit: One could argue that they allow full walkthroughs of pictures and video during the tours, but the lights are on and the building is empty. You can't really see the full experience.

Edited by Grime
  • Like 3

In regards to the recording, I feel like it has something to do with spoiling the contents. If someone watches a full walkthrough on YouTube, they might not be inclined to purchase a ticket. It might not feel worth it to them. They will occasionally let media and whomever record snippets and edit it into a "trailer" sort of like a full length movie has, but they don't want to release the entire "movie" for free to everybody.

Of course watching the video is nothing like being there and experiencing it first hand, but people may think "eh, doesn't seem worth it" and pass. Where if the same person can't find footage of the houses online, they will instead purchase a ticket and come to the event to check it out.

Pretty much this. The houses NEVER look good on video. Ever see haunted house America shows on the Travel Channel? Every haunt, even if it's good in real life, looks terrible and cheesy because of how it's filmed.

• Like 1

Edit: One could argue that they allow full walkthroughs of pictures and video during the tours, but the lights are on and the building is empty. You can't really see the full experience.

Pretty much this. The houses NEVER look good on video. Ever see haunted house America shows on the Travel Channel? Every haunt, even if it's good in real life, looks terrible and cheesy because of how it's filmed.

with Some years, we never even get Trailer style videos of some of the houses. I would be pretty happy with a short 1-2 minute video of a house showing the highlights at least .
there are some houses that are completely erased from my memory ( from before 2008). For some reason I can remember almost everything from 2008 and up, but 07,06, etc feels like if someone used that MIB eraser on me. I have always wished there were pics/video of both the Friday and the Texas houses. 

It would be pretty cool if they released some videos of the empty houses at least, I remember a news channel was able to record Dracula and Frankenstein  in 2009. (I had that video somewhere).  I understand what both of you guys are saying, Which is why I still think Hollywood allowing recordings is pretty weird.