HHN 25 Discussion

Who made the decision?  The smart people that saw that the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street reboots opened between $35-$40M and both finished up with about $65M.  (source:  boxofficemojo.com) A HORRIBLE drop that shows that other than the fanboys (aka: us) nobody cared about the movies and they disappeared from theatres and were on DVD within 2 months.  And last season of The Walking Dead averaged about 14M viewers per episode.  (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Walking_Dead_episodes#Season_5_.282014.E2.80.9315.29

As far as attendance, at a decent $10 average price per ticket because I'm lazy and don't feel like looking it up (and live in NY where an IMAX ticket costs $25) that would mean about 6.5 million people in North America went to see each movie.  17 million people in the US tuned in to last year's TWD season finale.

Yes, we all don't like it...but let's stop acting like they're doing it out of spite.  Apple charges $1500 for the same laptop you can get with windows for $400.  Do they do it out of spite?  No, they do it because it's a capitalistic word and supply and demand.  Our demand here on the forum isn't even a blip on their radar when they look at their metrics.  They aren't running a charity for horror fans...they're running a business.

very well said.

• Like 1

Also; I used to be a film major and my best friend used to be an advertising and design major.

Commercials and Advertising are generally the works of both marketing and creative collaboration. So marketing probably said "We would like/require x, y, and z in the commercial" And then creative or whichever team does storyboarding probably wrote a script and got it approved my marketing and went out to film it with their creativity working with the parameters marketing bet would draw in the most revenue.

It was probably a collaboration between both parties because that's generally how commercials are made. Not every advertising major had a major in cinematography and creative writing. But they can tell you what they want and the business strategy behind their wants. And not every film major knows what would be the best selling point of the event in terms of generating sales.

I would say whichever teams were involved. They pulled it off extremely well. They catered to both diehard fans and mainstream casuals of the event fairly. Screen time was well balanced, the mood was well set, they did include their money maker but as long as it makes money and draws in the crows I guess.

• Like 5

Who made the decision?  The smart people that saw that the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street reboots opened between $35-$40M and both finished up with about $65M.  (source:  boxofficemojo.com) A HORRIBLE drop that shows that other than the fanboys (aka: us) nobody cared about the movies and they disappeared from theatres and were on DVD within 2 months.  And last season of The Walking Dead averaged about 14M viewers per episode.  (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Walking_Dead_episodes#Season_5_.282014.E2.80.9315.29

As far as attendance, at a decent $10 average price per ticket because I'm lazy and don't feel like looking it up (and live in NY where an IMAX ticket costs $25) that would mean about 6.5 million people in North America went to see each movie.  17 million people in the US tuned in to last year's TWD season finale (Edit: oooops, that was the premier, the finale was just under 16m).

Yes, we all don't like it...but let's stop acting like they're doing it out of spite.  Apple charges $1500 for the same laptop you can get with windows for $400.  Do they do it out of spite?  No, they do it because it's a capitalistic word and supply and demand.  Our demand here on the forum isn't even a blip on their radar when they look at their metrics.  They aren't running a charity for horror fans...they're running a business.

if no one cares about freddy or jason then why are they bothering with making a house based on them?

besides you are ignoring a couple of facts, First the fact that those reboots were made by Michael Bay's company, that soured a lot of people, a lot of horror fans.
transformers fans might be more forgiving but Horror fans weren't. Also add to the fact that both of them changed the stories too much. Nightmare on Elm street was a mess and was nothing like the Original Nightmare. They changed too much and people didn't like it. 
that didn't mean people don't like the franchise, just that people hated a bad movie. There is a difference.

Also both franchises are getting new movies made. If they were so irrelevant,  why are studios bothering making more? 

Yeah more people like Walking Dead and more people watch it, But then How come they didn't just use the Purge in the commercial instead of Jason or Freddy? the Purge is more modern and was a big success 

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the Purge instead? 

Edited by clash

Yes, I deleted my last comment...for some reason it posted when I was halfway through and missed half of what I typed.  And of course I lost it all :(

Don't feel like retyping it all right now...but I'll type this much.  Your Michael Bay argument amuses me because...well, Platinum Dunes did BOTH Purge movies as well and he was a producer of both of them.  Yes, it was a success on a small budget...but again, the amount it grossed is a direct correlation to the interest in the IP and the number of "butts in seats" was far short of the number of people who watch TWD every single week.

Everybody knows who Freddy and Jason are, so that's a GREAT idea to have in your commercial and such...but what is the #1 horror IP right now in terms of tweets, facebook posts, news coverage, commercials, etc, etc, etc.  The Walking Dead.  End of discussion.  And I'm not saying it's quality over quantity or anything like that, but who would be better served advertising a new car during the Super Bowl:  Ferrari unvieling a new $400k super car or Toyota unveiling a new $30k crossover?  It would be the Toyota of course as the return on investment would be so much greater.  People watching the superbowl interested in buying a new car would be interested in the new Toyota a high percentage of the time.  0.001% would be interested in a $400k sports car.  The number of people who would plan a trip, book a flight, book a hotel, and buy tickets to an event for Jason are expoentially less than the people who would do so for TWD.

It's simple economics.  Not saying I don't like Freddy more than TWD (I had a full door sized poster of Freddy in college with his eye cut out to be my peep hole in my door), but it's all about return on investment.

And while I realize it's a TON of overlap and not taking Blu-Ray and OnDemand sales into account, last year hundreds of millions of people watched TWD...and Purge 2 made the same $65M in boxoffice I mentioned earlier.

I'm not making an argument based on quality of films (Hell, Avitar is the number 1 film of all time and sucks in my book!) just on the business sense and the fact that people here can't realize that they are such a vast minority and insignificant and should just enjoy the event for what it is: 

The premier mainstream horror event in the world.

Enjoy it and a accept it...and stop bitching about it.

Edited by Oysterhead00
  • Like 3

Yes, I deleted my last comment...for some reason it posted when I was halfway through and missed half of what I typed.  And of course I lost it all :(

Don't feel like retyping it all right now...but I'll type this much.  Your Michael Bay argument amuses me because...well, Platinum Dunes did BOTH Purge movies as well and he was a producer of both of them.  Yes, it was a success on a small budget...but again, the amount it grossed is a direct correlation to the interest in the IP and the number of "butts in seats" was far short of the number of people who watch TWD every single week.

Everybody knows who Freddy and Jason are, so that's a GREAT idea to have in your commercial and such...but what is the #1 horror IP right now in terms of tweets, facebook posts, news coverage, commercials, etc, etc, etc.  The Walking Dead.  End of discussion.  And I'm not saying it's quality over quantity or anything like that, but who would be better served advertising a new car during the Super Bowl:  Ferrari unvieling a new $400k super car or Toyota unveiling a new $30k crossover?  It would be the Toyota of course as the return on investment would be so much greater.  People watching the superbowl interested in buying a new car would be interested in the new Toyota a high percentage of the time.  0.001% would be interested in a $400k sports car.  The number of people who would plan a trip, book a flight, book a hotel, and buy tickets to an event for Jason are expoentially less than the people who would do so for TWD.

It's simple economics.  Not saying I don't like Freddy more than TWD (I had a full door sized poster of Freddy in college with his eye cut out to be my peep hole in my door), but it's all about return on investment.

And while I realize it's a TON of overlap and not taking Blu-Ray and OnDemand sales into account, last year hundreds of millions of people watched TWD...and Purge 2 made the same $65M in boxoffice I mentioned earlier.

I'm not making an argument based on quality of films (Hell, Avitar is the number 1 film of all time and sucks in my book!) just on the business sense and the fact that people here can't realize that they are such a vast minority and insignificant and should just enjoy the event for what it is: 

The premier mainstream horror event in the world.

Enjoy it and a accept it...and stop bitching about it.

Im just saying, they chose freddy and Jason to be in the commercial for a reason. Walking dead is the main attraction but they still chose FvJ to promote the event and to bring people in.

Im just saying they are not that outdated and lame... yet lol. not yet.
as for the Purge, the Purge is not a reboot so everyone was more forgiving. It was a new idea and it was a really really good idea for a movie. Like I said the Nightmare reboot was really awful as a movie (regardless of being a reboot or not)  

is there any reason to think that Diagon Alley will have any fast pass restrictions? Does Gringots have a fast pass cue? Last time I was in Florida was 2013 so I have no idea. 

Also so would be real helpful to know anyone that's doing the morning and afternoon Umaskng the horror tours the first week. Need to know ASAP the houses for each tour as I did American Werewolf in 2013 and don't really want to tour it twice plus I really hope the anniversary house will be on the tour.

is there any reason to think that Diagon Alley will have any fast pass restrictions? Does Gringots have a fast pass cue? Last time I was in Florida was 2013 so I have no idea. 

Also so would be real helpful to know anyone that's doing the morning and afternoon Umaskng the horror tours the first week. Need to know ASAP the houses for each tour as I did American Werewolf in 2013 and don't really want to tour it twice plus I really hope the anniversary house will be on the tour.

no express for gringots 

Sorta kinda off topic but does anybody know if during non-HHN nights (like on Monday's) do they put on the night time show on the water with fireworks? 

Doesn't look like it. I looked and the last date you can book the firework dinner plan is the 15th right before the event starts and then no more until november. Though this isn't a surefire way to tell though. There'll probably be too many props out when the event goes full swing and they'll have to worry about fallout catching a prop on fire. 

Though wondering about if there were fireworks or not previous years wasn't at the top of my agenda so I don't recall anything about them.

And express isn't valid for Gringots nor Forbidden Journey regardless.  

My wife and I have done it 4 years in a row now (maybe 3?). Its totally worth it. Not to mention you get to take some awesome photographs! We use them on our Christmas cards every year... seriously.

cGMIrm1.jpg

BTraL2E.jpg

Hey! Not to be super creepy but I'm pretty sure my fiancee and I were in your tour group last year haha. And UTH is worth every penny last year was my first time doing it, I'll be doing a tour every year from now on.

• Like 1

Sorry for my marketing bitch fest last night...rough week at work coupled with a few "adult beverages" to unwind and got worked up :)  

I have no problem with anybody's opinion of the event and respect each and every opinion, it's just that this year has been REALLY heavy on the bitching and just had to vent about the "us vs marketing" mentality.

---------------------------------------------------

Sooooo glad Potterland is open this year.  I have daily park tickets so don't really care about the rides, but the people eater effect and being able to run in, in the dark, and get some cool pictures of the streets and the dragon breathing fire are just going to be awesome.  Should also tempt a lot of people since that's the dead area of the park.

• Like 2

Sorry for my marketing bitch fest last night...rough week at work coupled with a few "adult beverages" to unwind and got worked up :)  

I have no problem with anybody's opinion of the event and respect each and every opinion, it's just that this year has been REALLY heavy on the bitching and just had to vent about the "us vs marketing" mentality.

---------------------------------------------------

Sooooo glad Potterland is open this year.  I have daily park tickets so don't really care about the rides, but the people eater effect and being able to run in, in the dark, and get some cool pictures of the streets and the dragon breathing fire are just going to be awesome.  Should also tempt a lot of people since that's the dead area of the park.

Hold up, Harry Potter is confirmed to be open for HHN???! 

Hey! Not to be super creepy but I'm pretty sure my fiancee and I were in your tour group last year haha. And UTH is worth every penny last year was my first time doing it, I'll be doing a tour every year from now on.

Does anyone know what houses are going to be toured? And if you have the time could you tell me exactly what you do during the tour.

Hold up, Harry Potter is confirmed to be open for HHN???! 

Sorry, maybe my comment was confusing (I don't know what every area is called), but if you scroll up there's news footage about Diagon Alley and rides being opened,

Bobby, What kind of tour are you talking about?  The tour house rosters aren't known yet, but the Unmasking the Horror tours are just tourguides bringing you through the houses with the lights on, giving you little trivia facts and trying to answer questions while you take pictures.  If you're more interested in the verbal content, stick up front by the guide(s).  If you want to take pictures, stick to the back so you get the rooms to yourself.  I don't know about the other/expensive tours.

Sorry, maybe my comment was confusing (I don't know what every area is called), but if you scroll up there's news footage about Diagon Alley and rides being opened,

Bobby, What kind of tour are you talking about?  The tour house rosters aren't known yet, but the Unmasking the Horror tours are just tourguides bringing you through the houses with the lights on, giving you little trivia facts and trying to answer questions while you take pictures.  If you're more interested in the verbal content, stick up front by the guide(s).  If you want to take pictures, stick to the back so you get the rooms to yourself.  I don't know about the other/expensive tours.

Sorry if i was confusing i was talking about UTH tour. In your opinion is it worth the price?

Sorry if i was confusing i was talking about UTH tour. In your opinion is it worth the price?

Absolutly!  I'm doing both the morning and afternoon tours this year.  I love them and think they're worth every penny.  I've also paid more than both tours combined to go on photo workshops so that's a big part of my decision.  Seeing the houses with the lights on, and seeing the attention to detail, and hearing the stories is worth the price of admission in my opinion.  The photo opportunities make it a steal! 

• Like 3

Absolutly!  I'm doing both the morning and afternoon tours this year.  I love them and think they're worth every penny.  I've also paid more than both tours combined to go on photo workshops so that's a big part of my decision.  Seeing the houses with the lights on, and seeing the attention to detail, and hearing the stories is worth the price of admission in my opinion.  The photo opportunities make it a steal! 

when are you going? I leave the UK Oct 10th so I really need to k ow what houses etc are on what tours in time to book my tickets for the trip!

totally stoked this is my 5th horror nights. 

Done Scary Tales in 2005

Refelections of Fear in 2008

Twenty Years of Fear in 2010

and 

whatever the hell 23 was called in 2013.

I lucked out in 2007 by going to Florida in Mrach and missing the big three and Jack. Plus I'm a massive Michael Myers fan and it seems every year they do a house or have a house I miss out by not having planned a trip to Florida that year. 

As far as I know, they're not releasing which tour does which houses ahead of your tour this year, which is odd. Alice is definitely out, and it seems AWiL will be for the most part as well. My guess is M&M, Insidious, and TWD for one, FvJ, BC and RUN for the other. That's not at all confirmed though, so don't use that as basis for booking a tour please. :)

I really want to see M&M and FvJ with the lights on, so I might book the combo tour. Not like it's not worth it, it's an AWESOME experience.

eh, Diagon Alley is a double-edged sword in my opinion.

Sure, it'll be a people eater, but at the same time, how many people do you think are now going to attend because it's open? Safety codes have probably increased park capacity because of the opening, and I think the wait times will suffer because of it.

As far as I know, they're not releasing which tour does which houses ahead of your tour this year, which is odd. Alice is definitely out, and it seems AWiL will be for the most part as well. My guess is M&M, Insidious, and TWD for one, FvJ, BC and RUN for the other. That's not at all confirmed though, so don't use that as basis for booking a tour please. :)

I really want to see M&M and FvJ with the lights on, so I might book the combo tour. Not like it's not worth it, it's an AWESOME experience.

Can you still buy tours after HHN has started? and will the second week of september tours be sold out before a week or so?