HHN 25 Discussion

This meal thing is only the first 2 weeks, right?  If not, my friends and I would (literally) eat it up and sign up in heart beat.  The food isn't high end cuisine by any stretch, but it sure beats most of the cafeteria food in Universal.  And for the photo ops with the scareactors alone, it would be well worth it.

• Like 1

This meal thing is only the first 2 weeks, right?  If not, my friends and I would (literally) eat it up and sign up in heart beat.  The food isn't high end cuisine by any stretch, but it sure beats most of the cafeteria food in Universal.  And for the photo ops with the scareactors alone, it would be well worth it.

It's $50 per person (not including admission) and only looks to be a 4 day thing in September. 

I was hoping for some themed dishes. More main dishes as well. It's a VERY limited menu for the $50 per person price tag. Hopefully people find it worth the cost. I will be waiting to see how things work out this year.

Now, if the photo op includes a picture with Jack and Chance then it might be worth it a little more. The photo ops need to be with iconic characters to justify the cost. 

• Like 1

I would say this is just a trial run to see if it profitable and to see if people are interested. We probably wont see it return for the rest of the event but if it profitable we will see it return in full force next year. 

• Like 1

That menu is really unappealing. I was hoping the turnout would be decent enough to try to go for it next year. But there's really nothing on that menu that justifies the price (outside of the scaractors)

It looks like a typical buffet menu to me (in fact, I think it is basically the menu at 1900 Park Faire).  What exactly were you expecting?

• Like 1

It looks like a typical buffet menu to me (in fact, I think it is basically the menu at 1900 Park Faire).  What exactly were you expecting?

Anything. It's basically different variations of roast meats and one pasta dish offered. Little variety so unless you are really in love with roasted meats... For a side you get two versions of potato, one which is, surprise; roasted. and the rest are veggies basically. Again, not much variety. Cornbread? Mac n Cheese? Something? Then we get to desserts, you have two cheesecakes, peach cobbler, bread pudding and chocolate cake. Desserts probably is the most variety despite having two cheesecakes offered. No pumpkin pie? I just expected more of a variety of options for the price, fall staples for theming and things of that nature. 

I'm sure it's great for some people but it's not really for me with the slim offerings which consist of mostly potatoes and roasted meats. 

I figured there would be more mains, sides and desserts. No carved ham or turkey, no types of sandwiches, etc. Two of the sides are basically the same and then you get veggies. Mac n Cheese is a buffet staple. 

The desserts are the worst to me. First off, its a Halloween event and pumpkin pie is not even an option? That's insane to me. Desserts can be themed so much and everything is just so bland. They could have created an amazing looking Jack cupcake. They could have made cupcakes with the logo of the houses or scarezones on them. Heck, even a cupcake with the event logo would have been fine. With the Block Party theme of a scarezone, what about some fair style desserts like caramel apples or funnel cakes? 

I just feel like if your going to put on a special dinner and charge $50 a person (more than a lot of Disney character buffets) you should at least theme the food choices. So many creative food options they could have amde but they took the easy way out. I'm sure the people that are going are going to have a great time but I just wish more effort (and food options) was put into it for the price tag. 

• Like 2

The commercial was good. I'm sad the walkers were chosen but what did we expect. In the end Jack implies he just released everyone by pulling the other two levers. 

Out of curiosity does marketing or creative WRITE the commercial?

I ask because the zombies being the attackers amused me as I interpreted it as, "We are shoving this down your throat again and, hey, why not have these other things too?"

If it is lightly raining (fine mist), most of the actors will remain in the streets. Any rain at all and the stilt walking actors will remove the stilts. Once the rain really starts, the streets are cleared until the rain lets up. 

As far as shows go, Bill and Ted is under cover so that happens regardless of rain. Jack's show might still take place in a light mist but if it is raining, then it will not happen is my guess.

Houses remain open during the rain. The houses are ALWAYS shoving people into them. It is one never ending line walking through the houses. It would be impossible to put more people into the house because it was raining. Most parts of the lines are not under any type of cover so if you wait, you will be soaked. 

• Like 2

Does rain effect the event at all, such as shows, streets, maybe even houses. Do they tend to shove more people in the houses to try and cut down lines. Here's hoping good weather for all event nights. 

Wishful thinking. The past 3 years, its rained opening night. I wouldn't expect much different.

PRO TIP: Take an umbrella or poncho when you go.

• Like 1

Wishful thinking. The past 3 years, its rained opening night. I wouldn't expect much different.

Yeah, last year on opening night was an annoying non-stop drizzle.  The 10 day outlook shows a 20% chance of rain next Friday.  Of course, this being Central Florida, tomorrow it could show 80%.

• Like 1

I figured there would be more mains, sides and desserts. No carved ham or turkey, no types of sandwiches, etc. Two of the sides are basically the same and then you get veggies. Mac n Cheese is a buffet staple. 

The desserts are the worst to me. First off, its a Halloween event and pumpkin pie is not even an option? That's insane to me. Desserts can be themed so much and everything is just so bland. They could have created an amazing looking Jack cupcake. They could have made cupcakes with the logo of the houses or scarezones on them. Heck, even a cupcake with the event logo would have been fine. With the Block Party theme of a scarezone, what about some fair style desserts like caramel apples or funnel cakes? 

I just feel like if your going to put on a special dinner and charge $50 a person (more than a lot of Disney character buffets) you should at least theme the food choices. So many creative food options they could have amde but they took the easy way out. I'm sure the people that are going are going to have a great time but I just wish more effort (and food options) was put into it for the price tag. 

I really like these ideas.  I am hoping that since this is the first year they are trying this (I also think of it as a good year to "test" something new), maybe they didn't even give it that much thought.  It could be one of those things that progresses to a "I cannot miss this under any circumstances".  Honestly, for a chance to take pics like that with the scareactors, I tried to get travel together to add a fourth weekend for us this year.  We were going to try for opening weekend.  Alas, another commitment has prevented this, and once I stopped crying, I decided to hope this will be an on-going thing.  Maybe someone from Uni actually still reads these boards and will voice this idea of themed food for the event.  Honestly, I think they would make more of an impact with cheaper food, cost wise, that was themed than trying to "sound" higher end by listing basic meat as "roasted" with some various spice to make it sound more impressive.  For example, don't  you think if they listed stuff like this - (parentheses my explanation):

Devi's eyes (deviled eggs with sliced olives that you use on top to make a pupil)

Stuffed roaches (pitted dates that you cut a slit into on one side and fill with a cream cheese and chopped walnut mixture)

Vomiting pumpkin (carve pumpkins with big mouths, place on a platter and then load up with guacamole like he just puked it - surround with chips)

Horror pizza - so many ways to make faces with pizza toppings, or shape sausage into bugs or rats

Jack-o-lantern cheeseburgers - your basic cheeseburger with a jack-o-lantern face cut into the cheese

Mummy dogs (hot dogs wrapped with basic breadstick dough - if you cut small slits into the "face part", it creates eyes and mouth)

BBQ Bat wings - really just wings with bbq or hot sauce creatively displayed and named - probably with some rubber bats close by

Brain cupcakes (basic cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, a chocolate brain placed on top and made up with red decorator's gel)

Zombie intestines (puff pastry filled with your choice of sweet filling and rolled so you can make the sections look like intestines - red food coloring to top)

Cake pops - a million things you can do with these: little pumpkins or ghosts or, hell, even little Jason masks!

Oh, I could go on with side dishes and drinks - but yes, this would be way cooler.  I mean, at least get quality burgers and dogs - not school lunch stuff.  The theme idea is a good one.  There are so many artists at Universal, I am sure they could come up with their own sick ideas tied to the year's event

• Like 3

Regarding camera talk:

I don't think I tried to take any pictures last year, but the year before I recall taking photos of the entrance to Evil Dead and Cabin in the Wods. In Evil Dead they just asked "hey make sure your flash is off" and I was like "no prob, always is" and everything was fine.  In Cabin they practically took my phone from me.  So I guess it really depends on the person.

I was thinking about just snapping a go-pro to my backpack shoulder strap and hoping no one noticed this year.

• Like 1

I am avoid all possible spoilers online at this point. I leave in 20 days. Cant wait. 

Despite all the bitching, pissing and moaning about this year leading up to now.... I think this year is gonna be a strong one. I have a feeling. 

Edited by PeoriaBJJ
  • Like 5

Does rain effect the event at all, such as shows, streets, maybe even houses. Do they tend to shove more people in the houses to try and cut down lines. Here's hoping good weather for all event nights. 

houses sometimes flood. Imagine being 20-30 minutes in the rain waiting to go into the house and then the house closes because of flooding.... that happened to me before. 

• Like 2

Out of curiosity does marketing or creative WRITE the commercial?
I ask because the zombies being the attackers amused me as I interpreted it as, "We are shoving this down your throat again and, hey, why not have these other things too?"

Who made the decision?  The smart people that saw that the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street reboots opened between $35-$40M and both finished up with about $65M.  (source:  boxofficemojo.com) A HORRIBLE drop that shows that other than the fanboys (aka: us) nobody cared about the movies and they disappeared from theatres and were on DVD within 2 months.  And last season of The Walking Dead averaged about 14M viewers per episode.  (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Walking_Dead_episodes#Season_5_.282014.E2.80.9315.29

As far as attendance, at a decent $10 average price per ticket because I'm lazy and don't feel like looking it up (and live in NY where an IMAX ticket costs $25) that would mean about 6.5 million people in North America went to see each movie.  17 million people in the US tuned in to last year's TWD season finale (Edit: oooops, that was the premier, the finale was just under 16m).

Yes, we all don't like it...but let's stop acting like they're doing it out of spite.  Apple charges $1500 for the same laptop you can get with windows for $400.  Do they do it out of spite?  No, they do it because it's a capitalistic word and supply and demand.  Our demand here on the forum isn't even a blip on their radar when they look at their metrics.  They aren't running a charity for horror fans...they're running a business.

Edited by Oysterhead00
  • Like 6