HHN 25 Discussion

As a West-coaster, I generally don't participate on the Orlando discussions; however, since I will be going to HHN for my third time ever over on the East, I skimmed through some of the discussion mainly on this thread. Although some points i will mention may have been addressed beforehand, I will give my full two cents on the complete line-up:

I think the line-up is very solid. I'm VERY excited to see it firsthand. The house line-up sounds great. You have two potentially awesome mash-up houseshouses (RUN & Body Collectors) that are nice continuation of fan-favorites. 25 Years sounds like an awesome anniversary megahouse suitable for the occasion. Having a house on two of the biggest slashers ever is a big hallmark. The highest-rated house ever is returning for thiS. TWD, the bigger contributed to the event's success, is apart if this (raises shield). Malice sounds like an awesome original concept building off of Scary Tales. The Purge and Insidious....well, they're there. 

The scarezones sound awesome, and I can't wait to see Jacks show and B & T after going a year without it.

What's the point I'm making here? I think UO has done their best to make it a very-solid anniversary year. I think the originals sound amazing and the IPs sound extremely promising. Yeah, I'm not going to deny the marketing was abysmal this year. Very poor approach on several things; but is that going to make the event itself suck? I seriously doubt it. If you are going to go out of your way to nit-pick and criticize, you'll find reason to. This may be because I'm so accustomed to Hollywood's event, but I don't mind the IPs that much. If anything, I think HHN is more well-rounded with them there. If the mazes are awesome, then who cares what kind they are. I'm going to choose to be excited and enjoy the event and I anticipate that I will. :) 

BTW, if you long time Orlando fans want to complain, go to our event in Hollywood then we'll talk. Ours has no identity, no Bill and Ted, ZERO original content, mostly rehashes of IPs, worse marketing, a determination from creative to have nothing with a good creative story or "icon" at our event, and no willingness to completely solve capacity issues by cutting a maze so guests don't have to walk more. At least you guys don't have all of what I mentioned. 

I said all this to say this: "Be excellent to each other, and PARTY On DUDES!" See you in O-Town! :) Just go with an open mind, be thankful for what the event still maintains, and just HAVE FUN. 

Freak!  I've always liked you, bud, and I enjoyed meeting you in Hollywood last year!  You just nailed a perfect description of the Hollywood event and it totally supports what I've been saying for several years now - Orlando, overall, is always better.  Nothing against Hollywood - it is what it is.  In fact, we are moving next year from Chicago to California, so I'm sure I'll be attending the Hollywood event in the future "because it's there".  However, my main HHN fix will still be Orlando.  We will just have a longer flight.  

Many of the complaints I keep reading are quite ridiculous.  It's all based on very subjective arguments, and therein lies the problem.  It's a very typical case of you cannot please all the people all the time.  Yes, I did my share of bitching, mainly concerning TWD, but I'm over it.  I can't change it, and it will obviously be stuck to this event for a while like a booger on your finger.  Oh well.  As long as they don't do "the streets are filled with TWD" again, then I guess I'll just find a way to ignore it because there are so many other awesome things to see.  I am a huge fan of the actual art and creative process that goes into all of this.  The time and care they spend on each house is truly remarkable.  The fact that they do original content is something to be treasured.  So what if certain themes are re-worked?  It's still ORIGINAL content with all the HHN flair we've come to take for granted apparently. 

I think this year will be a blast! M&M will take us through all the nostalgia we've been asking for, and we should revel in it.   We have icons in the streets, wolves en masse and probably snow..in Florida.  How much more do you want?

• Like 7

I just looked at the Singapore site - it's really cool!  And they have interactive stuff on there.  I agree it's a shame that the ability for Orlando to have a fun, interactive site like that was taken away.  It's so frustrating.  By the way, the times for each night are still there, just not as obvious.  I went to "buy tickets" and brought up the calendar.  If you click on a day, it will show you the times for that day.  

• Like 1

I just looked at the Singapore site - it's really cool!  And they have interactive stuff on there.  I agree it's a shame that the ability for Orlando to have a fun, interactive site like that was taken away.  It's so frustrating.  By the way, the times for each night are still there, just not as obvious.  I went to "buy tickets" and brought up the calendar.  If you click on a day, it will show you the times for that day.  

I can only guess that marketing is what it is here nowadays simply because it can.  They don't need to do much more, they're selling tickets left and right, breaking attendance records as is, so they likely don't feel a need to do anything more than the status quo.  I need to check out this Singapore site, stat!  They're now what we were.  After a few years, they'll get a generic site and marketing campaign as well.

I don't like to pass unconfirmed info from other boards like this, but someone on OU just now said they got confirmation that Escape From Gringotts will be open nightly until midnight during HHN.  Anyone else hear anything about this?

• Like 1

I don't like to pass unconfirmed info from other boards like this, but someone on OU just now said they got confirmation that Escape From Gringotts will be open nightly until midnight during HHN.  Anyone else hear anything about this?

That would be awesome!  It's a great ride and it would really suck up the crowd with people who don't have park passes for the day.

• Like 1

That would be awesome!  It's a great ride and it would really suck up the crowd with people who don't have park passes for the day.

That was my initial reaction, anything that can eat crowds is a plus with me.  Hopefully it's true.  And it may very well be true.  But then tomorrow it's could no longer be true. 

In case anyone else notices or the info starts going around and being misconstrued. 

Street props are currently being packed up. Don't panic. We have a tropical storm headed our way (for all the out-of-towners) and they are just trying to keep them safe. 

Landfall (if it hits) is suspected to be around Monday. 

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 1

There's some sort of preview event going on right now. Have no clue what is it, but here's some tidbits.

• People at the event are getting a tour of Walking Dead and Insidious.
  • The Purge was the most successful scare zone ever, quote by Laura Wallace. Which explains why they made it a house theme, the whole Scream thing aside.
  • They are reducing safe zones, increasing the size of scarezones
  • The roaming hordes are Chainsaw Gang and Psycho Clowns.
  • Belle and Cinderella (With creative use of her glass slipper) confirmed for ScreamPunk.
  • FvJ Battles will use both live actors and video screens.
  • New AWIL puppets are more actor friendly and should provide an even scarier experience.
  • Expect a "Fan Favorite Killer and his bride" at the Die-In. Sounds like Chucky to me.
  • Expect Live Kills in the Scarezones. They didn't specify whether they just meant Icons or not.
  • RUN has chainsaws (Duh.)
  • Like 8

There's some sort of preview event going on right now. Have no clue what is it, but here's some tidbits.

• The Purge was the most successful scare zone ever, quote by Laura Wallace. Which explains why they made it a house theme, the whole Scream thing aside.
  • Belle and Cinderella (With creative use of her glass slipper) confirmed for ScreamPunk.
  • New AWIL puppets are more actor friendly and should provide an even scarier experience.
  • Expect a "Fan Favorite Killer and his bride" at the Die-In. Sounds like Chucky to me.
  • Expect Live Kills in the Scarezones. They didn't specify whether they just meant Icons or not.

where are you hearing this?

It will be nice if they do reduce the "safe zones"/dead space quite a bit. Does anyone think this might extend to the London walkway or would that be too much cluster?

See, that where it always was for me too. However, I just went to the site and it says "Buy Express" in the location of where "Buy Tickets" was. I refreshed the page multiple times and finally had it show up. Refreshed again and it was gone. Clicking "Buy Express" takes me to the page to buy express and doesn't show the park hours. You would think something as important as starting/ending times would be easy to find and not hidden. Who would assume "Buy Tickets" button would show you park hours?

It will be nice if they do reduce the "safe zones"/dead space quite a bit. Does anyone think this might extend to the London walkway or would that be too much cluster?

The Hordes will probably go through that area. Also, someone else on Twitter claimed Diagon would be open until Midnight each night. 

And the people are now heading to the tour portion.

• Like 2

The Hordes will probably go through that area. Also, someone else on Twitter claimed Diagon would be open until Midnight each night. 

And the people are now heading to the tour portion.

Diagon being open makes perfect sense. Not only is the ride a people eater, but it will keep some people off the streets while they explore the rest of the HP area. My guess is, everything including Leaky will be open. This way they can get the people who strictly come to Universal for Horror Nights addicted to Butterbeer so they have to come back. Plus, as long as they don't promote HP on anything HHN related, I don't think J.K. will have a problem...its more money for her after all.

On a Horde note, the Psycho Clown horde is like my worst nightmare. I hate clowns (Jack is cool though for some reason to me...doesn't phase me) and I am not a big fan of chainsaws. Putting them together is not a good mix for me. Hope this is one rumor that turns out to be not true.

• Like 4

Apparently Carnage Returns will have aerialists. 

By the way, just in case scenes are revealed from either maze, does anyone know how to do the spoiler tag? I've never had to use it.

If scenes are revealed, I'll likely post them in their respective threads.

Edited by ForeverEvil1

Tourers were told not to reveal scenes, but from what's been said on Twitter, TWD had good sets and good looking scenes. Insidious was creepy even with lights on no actors (even Laura Wallace was creeped out, as was said.)

This was all a familiarity event for travelers and tourism. Smart move on their part. 

Edited by ForeverEvil1
  • Like 1

On a Horde note, the Psycho Clown horde is like my worst nightmare. I hate clowns (Jack is cool though for some reason to me...doesn't phase me) and I am not a big fan of chainsaws. Putting them together is not a good mix for me. Hope this is one rumor that turns out to be not true.

You would've hated Giggles and Gore last year, then. The end of that house was one of my favorite HHN moments. I stuck around just beyond the end of it for about 10 minutes just watching people scream and run away. Hysterical

Apparently Carnage Returns will have aerialists. 

By the way, just in case scenes are revealed from either maze, does anyone know how to do the spoiler tag? I've never had to use it.

If scenes are revealed, I'll likely post them in their respective threads.

Considering my 9 yr old daughter is currently taking aerial dance, I look forward to seeing what they do. I'll probably have to record the show for her to see. 

I got the booklet for Annual Passholder appreciation month today in the mail, and it shows what the HHN25 AP pin looks like. Just thought it was worth mentioning, and it looks awesome!

photo.JPG

Edit: Just realized JDW beat me to it.... story of my life T_T

Edited by JackTheREAPER

You would've hated Giggles and Gore last year, then. The end of that house was one of my favorite HHN moments. I stuck around just beyond the end of it for about 10 minutes just watching people scream and run away. Hysterical

Which is the reason why I didn't go into the house last year, lol. It was my first year and I still am not a huge fan of horror but last year I had SO much fun! Skipped Halloween (kinda regret it now) and Giggles and Gore. This year I am forcing myself to go into each house. Don't want to look back months after and regret skipping a house. 

• Like 1