HHN 25 Discussion

Signing on for the first time since I saw the Purge announcement and caught up on the last 10 pages or so explaining what happened. I understand that Universal really didn't have a lot of choice in this matter but it still sucks to lose Scream for The Purge. Scream is one of the best slashers ever and I was really stoked for it. With it's cancellation, that might be the straw that stops me from attending this year.

So can anyone confirm if it was originally based on the show? If it was, why would A&D agree to it? The show is fucking awful and is a slap in the face to any of the movies. Seriously there is a reason it is rated as one of the worst shows on TV by sites like AV Club. Generic plot, horrible dialogue, terrible acting and awful characters. Even by MTV standards it is so bad in every possible way. I can't believe it was renewed for another season but teenagers watch stupid shows I guess. I couldn't continue after episode 3.

So if everything that went down last week had to do with rights issues with the house being based on the movies vs the TV show, why would they have chose this property knowing full well that they couldn't do the movies beforehand? Did they think it would become a huge hit or something? I mean the writing was on the wall when everyone involved with the movies distanced themselves from it.

If the house was going to be based on the show then I'm happy that the Purge replaced it. But if it was going to be the movies, man what a bummer. So much potential with the original alone. 

I just can't see A&D not knowing that they couldn't use stuff from the movies beforehand. No way would they waste an IP for the big anniversary on a show that was not guaranteed to be a hit. If they knew in advance they seriously should have chosen something else right when the rights holder said no. Now it's just a huge mess with marketing.

The Purge fits but it still feels like a wasted IP when we could possibly see it again next year for the 3rd sequel. I feel like maybe we could have gotten Crimson Peak or possibly something even better to replace this idea once they found out that the movie was off limits. It completely made sense in the leaked list because the original is a huge IP but no one wanted the show. It's ratings are nowhere near AHS which pulls around a 1.8 - 2.2 in the 18-49 demo. The last episode of Scream pulled a 0.3. To give everyone an idea how big TWD is, it regularly pulls 7.0 - 8.0 and even higher for season openings/finales. Plus that makes 3 properties repeating this year that have been at HHN very recently (TWD, AWIL & The Purge).

I don't know, overall like a lot of others, I'm just not that excited this year. The main house I'm looking forward to is Freddy vs Jason but I don't see it living up to the classic NOES house from a few years back. I doubt they did a new cue video like they did for Dreamwalkers. Besides that I'm really only looking forward to the return of the Body Snatchers.

Insidious will be cool to walk through but I hated the 3rd movie. The second has scenes that will fit really well into a house though.

I'm a huge fan of it and understand it being back but TWD this season isn't right for a house. The press didn't even mention Alexandria so I guess it's going to be based off the first half of the season minus the Atlanta scenes. Last years house was fun but I've been bummed about this property ever since it's return the second time around. Still kind of shocked AMC won't let the characters be used after how much money this makes them. 

Not excited about the return of AWIL. I wasn't raving over the house like everyone else the first time around. It was good but I liked Halloween last year way better. I thought the Piccadilly scene in the original was hugely lacking scare actors so maybe they'll fix that? Not sure what else they can do with it. Once again feels like a waste of an IP.

Anniversary House was forgettable the first time around so I hope this ones better. Alice has been done to death and I hate the 3D gimmick. That idea is better for something like Howl O Scream. Don't care about RUN either.

So I'm stoked about two houses and pretty meh on all the others especially at the price with Express Pass. All of that will amount to like $200 for a total of 8 minutes. I'm kind of on the fence about attending right now but don't want to miss Freddy vs. Jason. Losing Scream was big for me.

According to some of the insiders on the forum, it was supposedly based on the movies

Man, I'm pretty much content with anything, I mean, I never really left a house feeling disappointed or not entertained.

That being said, I really miss something that's been missing these past few years (I think the last year I saw it was 2011) and many of you wouldn't care either way, but...

I want those Deep Fried PB&J's with bananas to return to the event. they were usually served in a food truck/trailer in the NY area, which seems very ideal this year because it'd fit the whole Fall Festival theme...

• Like 6

The bacon and cheese sweet potato fries or the candied ones with cinnamon that they sell right by the NY library facade are LIFE. Screw the event, just put that in the street and I'll gladly pay admission to eat them again :lol: (kidding, of course)

I can understand why many are not super excited by this year's event. Yeah, it's not the anniversary event that we would've hoped for, but honestly...outside of the IPs, how is it not? We've got the 2 most successful HHN franchises in the SAME house for the first time ever, A classic original who's sequel in 06 was not as great coming back for redemption, a house based on a fairy tale that's been done successfully as scenes in 2 houses and as a zone, and a house celebrating and honoring the past 25 years of the event.

And even then, look at some of the IPs. You've got the 2 biggest names in horror who's last time at the event was HUGELY successful, back again for the first time in 8 years battling each other. You've also got one of the highest rated houses of all time returning, albeit very soon. TWD is the biggest thing to ever happen to HHN good or bad, no matter what your opinion on the property is you can't deny that, so in a way, it's appropriate to be a part of the anniversary, as it's been a major part of the more "commercialized" years of the event. Not saying it's good, and obviously that's not why it's back, but if you look at it from that perspective, it becomes a little more acceptable.

Insidious and Purge make zero sense for this year, but Insidious is a property that's perfect for a house, is popular, and is one A&D wanted to do, so it made sense. Nothing they can do about the fallout from Scream, but Purge has potential to be a lot of fun. 

The streets are all returning characters and concepts from the past 25 years. We have an icon show for the first time in 8 years, we have an icon again for the first time in 4 years, albeit the most used one, more houses than ever, DOUBLE the actors in the streets (just in case anyone forgot that bit of info), more zones than last year, and even a new location for a house, which hasn't happened since 2008 if you don't count the plethora of different SS's used the past few years.

You've got the modern HHN feel with the 5 IPs, but there's also a LOT of original content this year, and plenty showcasing the event. With Comcast running the show now, they're pushing for IPs for more money etc., but with what they were given, I think A&D still managed to put together a wonderful lineup for the anniversary. I haven't been this excited for the event since the last anniversary in 2010, and I have a feeling this is gonna be one for the ages.

/endrant

• Like 16

Anyone have any details or guesses as to what the All Night Die In scarezone might feature? The rumors are half black and white and color monsters. Would these be iconic monsters from film? I believe the old Die In house had the classic slashers, should I expect this scarezone to be similar?

Think H.G. Wells old.

I for one am excited that RUN has been spotted. I think it could be a very cool concept either way. 

As for all the people who come on here to complain about the house lineup and such, it's kinda really annoying. We get it, the lineup isn't as impressive as you wanted. However it is still a heck of year from a marketing standpoint. It has the potential to produce record breaking crowds. That's what they want. Save the original banter and all that sorts for a year that's not an anniversary. You shouldn't have expected anything more, and now your upset. 

+forevers post was spot on. 

Edited by Marco-S

You want crowds? :blink:

I know THEY want it. But you are saying it like that is a positive thing.

Haha oops... 

I mean I don't want them, but they are inevitable at this point. But I guess it can be a positive in the sense that it helps grow the event and gives us more Houses, shows and zones. 

I hate saying this, but it is what it is now.  We'll always have the discussion and weigh the pros and cons.  It's more corporate now, we know that.  It's crowded, but it's always been crowded, too.  I hate crowds and waiting in line.  But I whore'd out even more to Uni and got an EP for the first time ever, last year.  I like to bitch about the event, but Universal bent me over long ago, so I'll attend regardless.  There will always be houses and zones I like and some I don't.

• Like 2

This year is flying by, I can't believe that the event is less than a month from now. I'm heading up the 8th-12th and it just keeps getting closer and closer. I haven't been as excited for the original houses as I am this year in a while. Last year had a few good ones, but I feel like this year's originals (even if they are re-boots) are really going to knock the Ip's around and give them a run for their money in popularity even with the GP that doesn't really research the event.

Since food was being mentioned, I kind of hope they up the quality of the food in the booths. Two years ago they had some great chicken tenders, but then last year they were basic and pretty terrible. I love the salt and vinegar tater twisters; and I assume the signature drink will just be the same thing for the 3rd (4th maybe?) year in a row, but it would be nice if they changed it up a bit.

im a dumb kid, i lied about everything. just wanted to be cool if u guys thought i knew stuff. sorry

You see, this is another big reason I'm dropping the whole "cryptic" thing. People think to be "cool" they gotta know inside stuff and this tempts them to make up things and they get attacked for it.

hhnmatt, I owe you an apology for my part in creating this whole "environment", and I too hold nothing against you at all. Please continue to post here and please continue to love and enjoy HHN for years to come. Don't let the negative feedback you may be getting now get you down.

• Like 9

You see, this is another big reason I'm dropping the whole "cryptic" thing. People think to be "cool" they gotta know inside stuff and this tempts them to make up things and they get attacked for it.

hhnmatt, I owe you an apology for my part in creating this whole "environment", and I too hold nothing against you at all. Please continue to post here and please continue to love and enjoy HHN for years to come. Don't let the negative feedback you may be getting now get you down.

What a guy. Nice attitude to have.

As for all the people who come on here to complain about the house lineup and such, it's kinda really annoying. We get it, the lineup isn't as impressive as you wanted. However it is still a heck of year from a marketing standpoint. It has the potential to produce record breaking crowds. 

What's really going to be annoying is when we have to navigate these record breaking crowds to see what looks like a so-so lineup (in my opinion). I'm going into this feeling rather negative. I'm hoping when I get there they prove my instincts wrong.

Do you think that gazebo construction is finished? Maybe it's the picture, but something seems a bit off about it. ???

And again... Does anyone know if those are the same pumpkins they used in the trees from several years ago? I think they look a bit different. Though it's kinda hard to tell. Either way, I'm glad to see them up there.

• Like 1

Do you think that gazebo construction is finished? Maybe it's the picture, but something seems a bit off about it. ???

I noticed it looks a little campy/cartoony but maybe that's what they are going for? I think it'll most likely have the "fire" going on inside the pit base of the gazebo, so the orange and red lights + fog = no one can really tell if it's cartoon looking.

Edited by electraheart

Guest kiwisoup

No offense to the specific people I'm referencing, but this is what I'm really hating about coming on here. People clamor for more information, for website updates, pictures, construction...practically begging and pleading and obsessing over it.

Then something happens and instead of there being some sort of payoff, it's just complaints about what we get not being good enough. People should be excited to see the event take form, but a couple days into actual street construction and it's all...oh great those pumpkins I wanted are back...but are they the same exact pumpkins? Oh good a classic Halloween themed area when we've been complaining the Halloween theming and atmosphere has been missing, but that gazebo...not up to snuff! 

Honestly, I don't know why people are even hyped over this event anymore. I'm surprised this community still thrives, which isn't a bad thing but what made this event so special is pretty much gone. If you're into it, great! But I there's no need to complain. If you don't like it, simply don't go! I'm not going this year and many others aren't either. Yeah, it's a bummer, but hey, there's other stuff out there. It will never be what it used to be, and that's that.

I will say this is the first time I literally don't care about a single thing they're doing so far. It's so unexciting. It's the same stuff pretty much and you know Bill and Ted won't even be slightly funny... Like why go? There's other cool stuff out there, just search for it. There's a big haunt in Miami that looks awesome, there's Howl O Scream.. there are other options. Be open to new stuff. Don't like what universal is doing? Don't give them your money. Simple as that.

• Like 1

^^^^THIS.

Is there a way to block individual persons on this forum? That would be a good tool to implement to cut down down on the negativity and complaining. At least so you dont have to personally see it.

There is an ignore function you can access under Settings if you choose to use it.

Edited by georgemoe

Honestly, I don't know why people are even hyped over this event anymore. I'm surprised this community still thrives, which isn't a bad thing but what made this event so special is pretty much gone. If you're into it, great! But I there's no need to complain. If you don't like it, simply don't go! I'm not going this year and many others aren't either. Yeah, it's a bummer, but hey, there's other stuff out there. It will never be what it used to be, and that's that.

I will say this is the first time I literally don't care about a single thing they're doing so far. It's so unexciting. It's the same stuff pretty much and you know Bill and Ted won't even be slightly funny... Like why go? There's other cool stuff out there, just search for it. There's a big haunt in Miami that looks awesome, there's Howl O Scream.. there are other options. Be open to new stuff. Don't like what universal is doing? Don't give them your money. Simple as that.

We go because missing out on houses/zones that may never come back would be bad, but it's also because we love the potential that is there.

h. People should be excited to see the event take form, but a couple days into actual street construction and it's all...oh great those pumpkins I wanted are back...but are they the same exact pumpkins? Oh good a classic Halloween themed area when we've been complaining the Halloween theming and atmosphere has been missing, but that gazebo...not up to snuff!

Because the theming they have up now is pretty laughable. They built Field of Screams on a much smaller budget. Now, they put out some cartoony looking props and Michael's/AC Moore looking decorations? Pff.

Guest kiwisoup

Because the theming they have up now is pretty laughable. They built Field of Screams on a much smaller budget. Now, they put out some cartoony looking props and Michael's/AC Moore looking decorations? Pff.

You mean the scarezone that's SUPPOSED to look like neighborhood decorations? 

You mean the scarezone that's SUPPOSED to look like neighborhood decorations? 

I LOVE the tacky decorations!  Why?  Because the set pieces aren't necessarily to create a sense of violence or horror, but at atmosphere.  I think to trick or treating when I was a kid, and that's exactly what people had!  So that makes the area more realistic to me than corpses impaled on a stake.  They're nice to look at and are horrific...but streets dressed up for a traditional halloween with something horrible occurring there through the scareactors and lighting and sounds will put me me much more at ease as it feels like I'm in a familiar place.

I think it's extremely effective and if they can save a few bucks to dump into another area, it's money well spent.  While I wasn't a huge fan of it (I got what they were trying to do and think the humidity when I was down there kinda wrecked it) the swinging chainlink fence scarezone a few years ago had almost no decorations other than the fences and cloth...but it didn't need anything else.  The minimal design perfectly suited what they were trying to do, so why throw money at something for the sake of doing it when it doesn't need it?

• Like 1