HHN 25 Discussion

Inspired is the polite way of saying completely ripped off. Except for the name the characters are identical. I mean I love the body collectors but let's call a spade a spade. All the above mentioned could be considered copyright infringements. I'm not complaining though. I thought they were all pretty cool. In the old days they would call a character "Shatner", "hockey mask guy" of even "claw hand" It's common in haunts.

This year's big house is "Nightmare Man vs Hockey Mask Killer."

• Like 8

Inspired is the polite way of saying completely ripped off. Except for the name the characters are identical. I mean I love the body collectors but let's call a spade a spade. All the above mentioned could be considered copyright infringements. I'm not complaining though. I thought they were all pretty cool. In the old days they would call a character "Shatner", "hockey mask guy" of even "claw hand" It's common in haunts.

TOTALLY off topic, but just wondering....

Scary Movie and stuff are exempt from copyrights due to satire...same for Weird Al Yanovick, he's legally protected for parody.  There HAS to be some kind of legal precedent for "tributes/interpretations/ect" like this for HHN, right?

On Twitter Mike mentioned going through the training facilities and other locations that wouldn't be a part of a suburban home, so there's a chance they're doing a little more than repainting some walls for at least one or a few rooms.

Honestly excited to see it. The scarezone was awesome and highly rated, and if you were excited about Scream, you're getting basically the same house with different masks, so this has plenty of potential.

I'm guessing the training facilities will basically be Woodsboro High School.

I'm also pretty excited about this maze. While the Purge was by no means a good movie, the concept is perfect for a haunt.

• Like 3

On the topic of Jack, I feel like It's a damn shame that they created him in 2000 as the first icon. To start off with the #1 phobia has set the bar really high for other icons to follow. And bringing him back every few years will only put a spotlight on "What will they do to top that?" The closest thing after Jack they used that could inspire true fear in people was Bloody Mary because so many people have had personal experiences with that urban legend. Not many people go to meet film directors, coroners, storytellers, and movie ushers and think this person is definitely dangerous. I'm not saying everyone thought Jack & Bloody Mary were going to kill them, but they are irrational fears and more widespread among people.

But it's bittersweet because without Jack, I'm not sure we'd have all those other icons.

I mean, this is just my personal opinion.

• Like 1

Not sure if Walking Dead or Guests at Horror Nights.

if some of the guests have a little  leprosy going on, they could walk right in and join the cast.

Speaking of TWD, how awesome would it be if they could pick one random night and have Greg Nicotero and his crew come in with actual actors from the show and give them full walker makeup just like in the series and have them work the house?  It's a pipe dream and 8 hours of makeup, but damn, that would be something.  When my girlfriend and I watch the show, we always talk about that.  Some of those walkers are just terrifying!

TOTALLY off topic, but just wondering....

Scary Movie and stuff are exempt from copyrights due to satire...same for Weird Al Yanovick, he's legally protected for parody.  There HAS to be some kind of legal precedent for "tributes/interpretations/ect" like this for HHN, right?

Weird Al get permission for all his songs.

what law protects under parody?? Serious question.

Edited by PeoriaBJJ
  • Like 1

On the topic of Jack, I feel like It's a damn shame that they created him in 2000 as the first icon. To start off with the #1 phobia has set the bar really high for other icons to follow. And bringing him back every few years will only put a spotlight on "What will they do to top that?" The closest thing after Jack they used that could inspire true fear in people was Bloody Mary because so many people have had personal experiences with that urban legend. Not many people go to meet film directors, coroners, storytellers, and movie ushers and think this person is definitely dangerous. I'm not saying everyone thought Jack & Bloody Mary were going to kill them, but they are irrational fears and more widespread among people.

But it's bittersweet because without Jack, I'm not sure we'd have all those other icons.

I mean, this is just my personal opinion.

Seeing as how Jack was their first icon, they had to go with something as simple yet effective as people's fear of clowns. They probably had no idea how he'd be received or if it was going to be in their best interest to have another icon year, but with obvious success it let Universal Creative actually get a little more...creative. 

• Like 1

Weird Al get permission for all his songs.

what law protects under parody?? Serious question.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/2-live-crew-weird-al-yankovic-and-the-supreme-court-on-parody

That's the quickest and easiest explanation I found. Weird Al gets permission to protect himself, even though his stuff is protected under Fair Use. What Universal does is not, as its intent is to mimic its source.

• Like 1

What's this now about two ideas never being out together in the same house? Everything I've seen (yes I've seen it, yes its awesome, and yes you should be very excited for it) says that it's 2 in 1. Its A&D's favorite house.

• Like 5

I suppose there's a chance, but it's likely just some extra hype for Jack to help introduce him to the GP who've only been going the last 3 years or so. My guess is next week's video will show the demise of the 2 idiots running around the Soundstages, show Jack, and then we have our full reveal either that day or by Thursday. 

I'm curious to see if they give AWiL it's own announcement, which I do see happening, repeat or not. If so, I'm guessing it'll be on Thursday, just like TWD and Insidious.

• Like 1