HHN 25 Discussion

I've been wondering what Universal will do when they're no longer able to use TWD. They'll be hard pressed to find another IP to measure up to the property. (What other show in any genre let alone Horror can beat Sunday Night Football head to head in the ratings?)

Depending on how the new season of American Horror Story plays out, I could see it being used next year. It has been considered for some time. I thought for sure we would be getting it this year. Last years Freak Show version would have been a perfect fit with Jack coming back. 

This year, the show is titled "American Horror Story: Hotel". A hotel setting would be easy to recreate. However, the big problem with this series is the fact that each season is TOTALLY different. If next year they decide to do Hotel, it would be "outdated" since the new season which would air during the event would be something different. 

While American Horror Story doesn't pull in the same kind of numbers, its one of the few horror TV shows out there. Its very hard to pull off a horror TV show without them becoming a drama (looking at you TWD!). After a while, what made the show scary becomes old news when it is shown so much (Zombies). American Horror Story has also gotten away from the horror elements of the first season and turned more towards the insane, far fetched themes. They claim Hotel will return to the shows roots and bring true horror back to the show.

The other possible IP they could use would be the new Scream Queens show depending on how well that works. It would be the "fun/comedy" house of the year which they seem to always have one of. We have Alice this year, last year we had Dollhouse, etc. Plus, with a "female frat house" as the main setting, it would also be the "sexy" house of the year like "From Dusk Til Dawn" last year. 

• Like 2

can we please stop pretending IPs are temporary? The days of original-centric years are long gone. Orlando realized around 2011 the same thing Hollywood did in 2007. They are a media company. To refuse to use some of the most powerful, cheap marketing materials would be absolutely insane. The whole reason this started was because Autumn was a slow season attendance-wise, and this was a solution that worked.

And don't think they're new, either. The second-ever house was an IP for goodness sake.

• Like 8

I honestly would've preferred FTWD more, because at least it's a change in setting, since it's in a city and not the woods again... And from the trailer, it looks more like a horror compared to TWD which has basically become a drama.

That would have just been a generic zombie house to us...seeing as to how the show hasn't even aired yet.  Also, from what I understand, the first season takes place while Rick is in a coma so it's just the world coming to terms with this "strange occurrence".  I'm sure half of the season is the guy running down the street with his shirt open trying to convince the cops that the dead are rising and them not believing this troublesome teen with a rapsheet.  It has that vibe written all over it, along with the family trying to reunite and flee this pandemic that only they seem to fully comprehend.  And the main character talking a lot of science mumbojumbo since he's a teacher.

Also I believe they aren't allowed to use the characters from TWD so I doubt they'd be able to use the ones from Fear....so again, it would just zombies and random people.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the TWD houses, I love the show and enjoy the houses because I like to see how they re-created the show.  FTWD would have been really disappointing in opinion.  Though next year, after we've seen the full first season and know how the story progresses and where the characters go and any "signature" zombies they may encounter (again, it's right when the outbreak happens that I assume most zombies look "normal" as they haven't had a ton of time to decay yet), I'd certainly welcome the house as a change of pace while still using the Dead IP.

Depending on how the new season of American Horror Story plays out, I could see it being used next year. It has been considered for some time. I thought for sure we would be getting it this year. Last years Freak Show version would have been a perfect fit with Jack coming back. 

The other possible IP they could use would be the new Scream Queens show depending on how well that works. It would be the "fun/comedy" house of the year which they seem to always have one of. We have Alice this year, last year we had Dollhouse, etc. Plus, with a "female frat house" as the main setting, it would also be the "sexy" house of the year like "From Dusk Til Dawn" last year. 

They've tried to get the IP for 3 years now. It's not happening, especially after what happened with Scream. Ryan Murphy is probably the holdup so it'd likely be the same with Scream Queens.

No TWD anymore might mean them actually being creative again! TWD was the start of us having no icons or good marketing. 

One of Hollywood's leakers already said TWD is secured for next year.

• Like 1

my source says hes seen the shirts this year. scream was on one of those shirts and that whole merchandise section is screwed lol. 

Has your source seen the hoodies yet? Curous what's on it.

my source says hes seen the shirts this year. scream was on one of those shirts and that whole merchandise section is screwed lol. 

Ugh, hope that doesn't screw anything up merch-wise. With all the garish TWD stuff that floods HHN each year, the "house" shirt is one of the few things I like to pick up. 

i didnt ask, i brought up scream n he told me about the shirts. hes also seen the inside on the soundstages behind rip ride rockit and disaster queue. my list looks promising :)

sorry, but somebody mentioned you were a Troll earlier in the thread. The other lists are practically confirmed already.

This year, the show is titled "American Horror Story: Hotel". A hotel setting would be easy to recreate. However, the big problem with this series is the fact that each season is TOTALLY different. If next year they decide to do Hotel, it would be "outdated" since the new season which would air during the event would be something different. 

While American Horror Story doesn't pull in the same kind of numbers, its one of the few horror TV shows out there. Its very hard to pull off a horror TV show without them becoming a drama (looking at you TWD!). After a while, what made the show scary becomes old news when it is shown so much (Zombies). American Horror Story has also gotten away from the horror elements of the first season and turned more towards the insane, far fetched themes. They claim Hotel will return to the shows roots and bring true horror back to the show.

AHS could potentially work well as a replacement and could satisfy both the GP and HHN fans since the series has a different story every season. (meaning no generic zombie house with TWD stamped over it every year.) The only issue is if Universal and Fox could ever come to a agreement. And if they could it might open up Scream Queens to be used as well since it's both from the same company. The real question is if SQ is going to be any good quality and/or ratings wise.

Just an update.

I was in the park yesterday (8/16) and they had the sign for Fear Factor live covered so I assume it's because they've started preparing for B&T. 

Also, in the Central Park area they had various metal post/columns  (? Don't know if they have an actual proper name) with lights on the top. But I took a picture of one of them as you can see (it's not the best)....anyways, is this for HHN or RTU? (oh, and the Fast and the Furious cars have been removed). 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Doesn't specify? A house, scare zone or whatever else. Likely a house but still, it doesn't have a video like all the others yet.

I assume that the Purge announcement doesn't have a video because it was kind of a last minute thing. I don't know.

Now that we have 4 individual announcements/reveals, when do you think the 5th (the rest of the houses/scare zones ) will be revealed/announced? Mike said it would be before this month ends, but do you guys have a more accurate/specific day or so? Who you guys think it'll be before rehearsals start? 

• Like 1

I assume that the Purge announcement doesn't have a video because it was kind of a last minute thing. I don't know.

Now that we have 4 individual announcements/reveals, when do you think the 5th (the rest of the houses/scare zones ) will be revealed/announced? Mike said it would be before this month ends, but do you guys have a more accurate/specific day or so? Who you guys think it'll be before rehearsals start? 

It'll be out soon enough. I'm not concerned but I agree with you. Kinda verifies the scream cancellation. Or some kind at least.

• Like 1