HHN 25 Discussion

Hey all first time posting here. Belonged awhile ago but just rejoined. Very exciting stuff going on this year. I personally am enjoying it all. But I stumbled upon this last night on Twitter. These guys are normally pretty reliable. So if true and it is being demolished, does this mean we could have a whole new type of house and not just an overlay for what is currently there.

Screenshot_20150814-234149.png

sounds like someone who's just reading the forums here and on OU, not actually sourced. 

The studio/rights holders to the Scream franchise sound like a bunch of dicks :( Now I understand why Murdy in Hollywood wants nothing more to do with the Scream franchise.. It has nothing to do with the environments or whether or not Ghostface is still considered "serious horror" after being parodied in Scary Movie, He just doesn't want to put up with the Scream rights holders again, especially after the nightmare of dealing with them in 2011

I'll actually stick up for the IP holder here. Selling a few extra copies of the original Scream movies out of the $5 bin at Wally World doesn't do a whole lot for his company. His current priority is promoting a show on MTV now, not selling 90s nostalgia. If the contract says, in so many words, "use the TV show as inspiration," but Universal does a run-around and largely bases the house on concepts from the movie, that's on them.  If Universal used the original mask that apparently their contract doesn't cover, that's even worse.

Scream's owners has every reason to want this house to work. In addition to money, a great house would get them gobs of good publicity. But IP holders tend to be very protective of their property (as they should be--not that it was a great movie, but how many guests who went through "Dracula Untold" ended up skipping the film because the house was such a trainwreck?). If Universal is going to rely on IPs, they need to pay closer attention to keeping the holders happy. (Or rely on IPs that are no longer financially viable, e.g. AWiL, where the IP holders are just happy to see a tribute.)

. Well I just booked the vacay and luckily enough we plan to do HHN on Wednesday Oct 7th.

What are your guys thoughts? Should we skip on the EP since it's a Wednesday and should have lighter crowds?

First Wednesday in my memory where school isn't out somewhere the next day.  Crowds should be relatively light. Still recommend doing Stay & Scream, with that and a 1 a.m. close can definitely hit everything in one night.

I'm really curious about the Hades and Legendary Truth effects that they couldn't do. Any more insight, Jimmy?

The Cerberus for Hades and Banshee for LT were both some sort of "animatronic" effects. They have never revealed exactly what they looked like, but have talked openly about them.

I assume the Cerberus was meant to be near the Gates of Hades in that house's façade area, as the three headed dog was supposed to guard the gate of the underworld in Greek Myth.

The Banshee in LT was in supposed to go in a corridor in the house where the floor ramped down to a lower level. If you went through the house you might remember that there was a light and noise effect in that hallway... but nothing else. The Banshee was supposed to swoop down on guests as they walked down that hallway from above.

Edited by Dr. Jimmy
  • Like 2

Are we sure it's the "rights holders" and not legally binding info in the contract between MTV and IP owners that during the XX months of the show, or as long as they are producing the show, that no other entertainment medium may use the Scream IP so as to negate/counter/confuse their story?

That sounds a lot more logical to me.  Where Universal negotiated with Dimension Films (or whoever owns it...I'm at work and not looking up anything for accuracy) who agreed to the house, all in good faith...and then MTV/Viacom/whatever production company found out and said "We legally have the sole ability to release anything with the Scream Franchise IP".

That is quite common in big corporations and can lead to some costly scrambling and changes (been there, done that).

Edited by Oysterhead00
  • Like 2

This is my first post here. How is everyone so sure scream was cancelled?  I know it's odd they aren't announcing the houses but they didn't say it was cancelled. I booked a private tour for the first time and the email said my tour last all night. The website says 4 1-2 hours. I called universal and they said that there were mistakes made on the website this year and the tour last the whole event. What I'm getting at is marketing and the business people have really dropped the ball for the 25th year. They still haven't corrected the mistakes on the site. Are you sure the house was cancelled, or marketing just hasn't come to an agreement on how they will present the material to the public this year? I am still holding out hope for scream, and the ghost face mask, not blow up doll mask.

I mentioned this earlier. Officially (which is the important part), no house exist until it is officially announced by Universal. They never announced it, so they don't have to say it was canceled. They reason we (a community of super-fans) know it exists is because of sources, those sources are now saying it's not happening. Marketing agreements would have been established with the initial contract. We can assume that contract is now void (for whatever reason), everything would change. That includes the marketing plans. 

The information on tours being incorrect is a completely separate issue.

Hey all first time posting here. Belonged awhile ago but just rejoined. Very exciting stuff going on this year. I personally am enjoying it all. But I stumbled upon this last night on Twitter. These guys are normally pretty reliable. So if true and it is being demolished, does this mean we could have a whole new type of house and not just an overlay for what is currently there.

Screenshot_20150814-234149.png

It's not being torn down. It's being re-themed to something else. The layout, and likely 70% of what you see, will basically be the house formerly known as Scream.

• Like 2

Guest kiwisoup

So was the sweepstakes teaser with The Purge references made after they knew they were losing Scream or was it really to tease a Purge roaming horde? I assume we won't have a horde and a house so maybe they are dropping the horde or replacing it with something else...

So was the sweepstakes teaser with The Purge references made after they knew they were losing Scream or was it really to tease a Purge roaming horde? I assume we won't have a horde and a house so maybe they are dropping the horde or replacing it with something else...

we don't know nobody knows

I mentioned this earlier. Officially (which is the important part), no house exist until it is officially announced by Universal. They never announced it, so they don't have to say it was canceled. They reason we (a community of super-fans) know it exists is because of sources, those sources are now saying it's not happening. Marketing agreements would have been established with the initial contract. We can assume that contract is now void (for whatever reason), everything would change. That includes the marketing plans. 

The information on tours being incorrect is a completely separate issue.

It's not being torn down. It's being re-themed to something else. The layout, and likely 70% of what you see, will basically be the house formerly known as Scream.

That is very true. It is just so shocking that they aren't announcing other solid confirmed houses right now. It is a little concerning. URGH!! I am more frustrated then I was a kid at Christmas time!! LOL!!!

That is very true. It is just so shocking that they aren't announcing other solid confirmed houses right now. It is a little concerning. URGH!! I am more frustrated then I was a kid at Christmas time!! LOL!!!

It's like seeing all the presents under the tree the week or so before Christmas. You can look, but you can't touch, and it's so entirely frustrating. It's so close, but yet so far. The suspense is killing me, lol. 

This is my first post here. How is everyone so sure scream was cancelled?  I know it's odd they aren't announcing the houses but they didn't say it was cancelled. I booked a private tour for the first time and the email said my tour last all night. The website says 4 1-2 hours. I called universal and they said that there were mistakes made on the website this year and the tour last the whole event. What I'm getting at is marketing and the business people have really dropped the ball for the 25th year. They still haven't corrected the mistakes on the site. Are you sure the house was cancelled, or marketing just hasn't come to an agreement on how they will present the material to the public this year? I am still holding out hope for scream, and the ghost face mask, not blow up doll mask.

That's the thing. They will never say it was canceled because to the public, it was never even going to be a house. Unless you are a huge fan and saw the leaked list of houses (which I have read cost at least one person their job), nobody will know whats going on right now. Anything Scream related being released to the public is grounds for a lawsuit, so it won't be mentioned on anything by anybody officially. During press events, they might mention how crazy this year has been because of a last minute house change, but they will never mention what the first theme (Scream) was. 

As far as your tour thing goes, I highly doubt it will last all night. The private tour requires you to book it over the phone (but can get pricing over e-mail). The standard RIP Tour starts at $139.99 a person. The private tour booked over the phone starts at $1,399 per group. The reason I say this is because the event closes at different times on different nights. The pricing is based on crowd levels, not how long it is open. Tour's typically start about an hour after opening and last between 4-5 hours (private tour start times can be changed sometimes if needed).

There is not a major difference between the PRIVATE RIP Tour and the STANDARD RIP Tour besides the price. The biggest difference is your STANDARD tour might group you with 15-30 people while your PRIVATE RIP Tour could be booked solo so it's just you and your guide. On both tours, you will get front of the line access to all the houses and shows ONCE along with 2 rides for PRIVATE tours. On a PRIVATE RIP tour, depending on how crowded it is, you get to decide what you want to do and when. On STANDARD RIP Tours, your guide leads you around the park in a preset tour that can't be changed. If, after seeing all the houses and shows on your PRIVATE RIP tour, your guide might be able to get you into more houses if you want to check one out again, but it never lasts until park closing. I have heard private tours get you into all the houses once and then at a max, four more. If, for some reason, you want to see a house 4-5 times, you can on a private tour. You get unlimited access to the VIP line only while the tour last on a PRIVATE tour. I would say you will skip the line of between 12-14 houses. How you break that up is up to the guest on a private tour. This is never a "for sure" thing however. Once EITHER tour is over, your tour pass will let you skip the lines of RIDES but not houses for the rest of the night. Your tour guide is the only one that can let you skip house lines. Both tour packages include the same perks as well except for one thing. They both include the lanyard, cash bar, and free valet parking. Your PRIVATE RIP Tour will include a free 3-day photo connect star pass for all your picture needs as well. 

Make sure you know what tour you booked. If you booked it online, you tour is not PRIVATE and will include other guests that purchased the tour. If you booked over the phone and paid OVER $1,399 then your tour is PRIVATE and just for you and your party. Don't want you to arrive and be upset when your getting led around in a group of 30 people for a tour you thought was just for your group.

• Like 4

That's the thing. They will never say it was canceled because to the public, it was never even going to be a house. Unless you are a huge fan and saw the leaked list of houses (which I have read cost at least one person their job), nobody will know whats going on right now. Anything Scream related being released to the public is grounds for a lawsuit, so it won't be mentioned on anything by anybody officially. During press events, they might mention how crazy this year has been because of a last minute house change, but they will never mention what the first theme (Scream) was. 

As far as your tour thing goes, I highly doubt it will last all night. The private tour requires you to book it over the phone (but can get pricing over e-mail). The standard RIP Tour starts at $139.99 a person. The private tour booked over the phone starts at $1,399 per group. The reason I say this is because the event closes at different times on different nights. The pricing is based on crowd levels, not how long it is open. Tour's typically start about an hour after opening and last between 4-5 hours (private tour start times can be changed sometimes if needed).

There is not a major difference between the PRIVATE RIP Tour and the STANDARD RIP Tour besides the price. The biggest difference is your STANDARD tour might group you with 15-30 people while your PRIVATE RIP Tour could be booked solo so it's just you and your guide. On both tours, you will get front of the line access to all the houses and shows ONCE along with 2 rides for PRIVATE tours. On a PRIVATE RIP tour, depending on how crowded it is, you get to decide what you want to do and when. On STANDARD RIP Tours, your guide leads you around the park in a preset tour that can't be changed. If, after seeing all the houses and shows on your PRIVATE RIP tour, your guide might be able to get you into more houses if you want to check one out again, but it never lasts until park closing. I have heard private tours get you into all the houses once and then at a max, four more. If, for some reason, you want to see a house 4-5 times, you can on a private tour. You get unlimited access to the VIP line only while the tour last on a PRIVATE tour. I would say you will skip the line of between 12-14 houses. How you break that up is up to the guest on a private tour. This is never a "for sure" thing however. Once EITHER tour is over, your tour pass will let you skip the lines of RIDES but not houses for the rest of the night. Your tour guide is the only one that can let you skip house lines. Both tour packages include the same perks as well except for one thing. They both include the lanyard, cash bar, and free valet parking. Your PRIVATE RIP Tour will include a free 3-day photo connect star pass for all your picture needs as well. 

Make sure you know what tour you booked. If you booked it online, you tour is not PRIVATE and will include other guests that purchased the tour. If you booked over the phone and paid OVER $1,399 then your tour is PRIVATE and just for you and your party. Don't want you to arrive and be upset when your getting led around in a group of 30 people for a tour you thought was just for your group.

I booked it on phone paying 1399. I was told and I have an email to confirm stating that it last from 630 until park close. The email also states unlimited VIP entrance to houses and attractions. This is why I called to understand what's going on with the site. They said the site was a mistake. NO JOKE!!! You would think they would fix it by now, or I am being given the run around. My email says unlimited VIP entrance from 630 to park close to both attractions and houses for up to ten people.

I booked it on phone paying 1399. I was told and I have an email to confirm stating that it last from 630 until park close. The email also states unlimited VIP entrance to houses and attractions. This is why I called to understand what's going on with the site. They said the site was a mistake. NO JOKE!!! You would think they would fix it by now, or I am being given the run around. My email says unlimited VIP entrance from 630 to park close to both attractions and houses for up to ten people.

And to add to this, my whole point is I have CALLED TWICE!! BOTH TIMES THEY SAID THE SITE IS WRONG. I DID NON PRIVATE LAST YEAR AND WILL BE TICKED IF THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS MY GROUP! Trust me you barely get everything in during 4 1/2 hours and the big selling point for me was 630 to 1 in the morning!! 

6:30 to 1am is still only 6 and a half hours, but to each their own. I have always hated being "stuck" in a group or on a schedule so I would never do a tour like this. I would only consider express passes, but since I went last year the first weekend of Oct. and never waited more than 30 minutes for a house, I don't see the need. Dollhouse was a 5 minute wait when we did it. Expecting to do the same thing again this year. Everybody rushes to the "big name" houses first thing driving the wait up to 2 hours. We enjoyed the rest of the houses and saved the big ones for the end. 

Universal is not the greatest at fixing problems on the websites. I reported to them over a month ago that the link to the Annual Passholder discount for Blue Man Group tickets takes you to a page that doesn't work and it still not doesn't worked. Heck, when I renewed my AP online last month I got a "Thank You" e-mail telling me about all the fun stuff I will get to enjoy...in 2014!  At least they run the park a lot better than the website. 

Anyone care to explain why Hollywood has basically announced almost their whole house lineup (possibly all) and for whatever reason Florida has decided to take the snail approach? What could they possibly gain by waiting so long to announce everything, especially considering how much more we are getting than they are (Hollywood)?

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 1

It's like seeing all the presents under the tree the week or so before Christmas. You can look, but you can't touch, and it's so entirely frustrating. It's so close, but yet so far. The suspense is killing me, lol. 

I know I have seen these similes somewhere before!

In an age of information, this is one of those times where, for me at least, it seems to be a negative. I have to take everyone's word for it that this HHN team will be able to step up and solve whatever problems they're facing. I've been nearly shaking with anticipation since we bought tickets to Universal and HHN, but I sincerely hope that what was once 9 houses doesn't end up being 8 houses and a makeshift, thrown-together, "this'll do" house. I also hope their is no trickle down effect for the other houses. 

Now to pass the time, maybe I can ask another another question of you veterans (please let me know if this isn't the space). 

1) To do Stay and Scream at Finnegan's -- Do I need reservations? 

2) Do they separate the people into groups to go into the mazes? (Many other houses I've been to herd a constant line through so a few people ahead of you get scared and it ruins it).

3) Can you walk slowly through the mazes to really soak in the art and design? Or is everyone rushing through?

Thanks in advance

Sorry if this question has already been answered but does anyone know why Universal haven't made any other announcements like a different house or a sz. I thought they would announce AWIL but has that been scrapped as it hasn't even been hinted at, obviously something happened in London regarding announcing AWIL as everyone was sure it would be announced then but now we are weeks later and nothing has been said. I'm not complaining just slightly confused. 

sounds like someone who's just reading the forums here and on OU, not actually sourced. 

Hi, that is actualy my Twitter account. Yes, I read OU and these forums and have seen the rumors. I was not able to confirm them for myself until a few nights ago. Yes, I really do have inside sources not only for HHN, but multiple theme parks across the east coast. I've seen inside two houses for this year. Im not as well known as the big sources for HHN, and to be fair, they do know more than me usually, but I promise I'm reliable.

"Torn down" was a bad wording choice. Obviously it's just going to be redress ed and rethemed but some stuff has to go, which is what I meant.

• Like 1