HHN 25 Discussion

Another thing is they did stand behind Scream. They made it part of their marketing campaign and it leaked. Now they have to compete with that. At this stage in the game, the only replacement will be a retread. Heres to hoping its AWIL that got the axe and not Scream. 

Only in the implication that what they could replace it with would be similar to the marketability and revenue-generation of Scream.

Part of me says they would replace Scream with The Purge. I mean, the settings aren't too far off, they just gotta move some furniture perhpas, take out any Scream material in the maze. They could make an original Purge maze outta this, the party at the end could be a Purge Party gone wrong. Hell, they could have a Ghostface mask in there because The Purge needs masks.

Another thing is they did stand behind Scream. They made it part of their marketing campaign and it leaked. Now they have to compete with that. At this stage in the game, the only replacement will be a retread. Heres to hoping its AWIL that got the axe and not Scream. 

Now you see why this is such a big friggin' deal.

SCREAM HAS NOT BEEN ANNOUNCED. They can do whatever they want with it, to include scrap it, because it has not been announced. They could replace 6 of their 9 houses at this point if they wanted because 6 houses have not been announced. Nothing is official until it is official. Just ask the Chubacabra and Cindy.

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 6

I'm thinking The Strangers, The Purge, Sinister, Halloween 2, The Amityville Horror, The Omen?

Part of me says they would replace Scream with The Purge. I mean, the settings aren't too far off, they just gotta move some furniture perhpas, take out any Scream material in the maze. They could make an original Purge maze outta this, the party at the end could be a Purge Party gone wrong. Hell, they could have a Ghostface mask in there because The Purge needs masks.

I sincerely hope that if it is to be replaced it isnt purge, sinister, or strangers. The thing that attracts me most to an IP house is the nostalgia of walking through iconic scenes and environments. Although I love all horror movies, those I mentioned have zero attraction for me. 

Plus when Mike said "SOON", this screams Scream to me. One of the rules is never to say "I'll be right back," and in Scream 3 Randy says "see you soon" as an F you to Ghostface and the rules. Just seems like he is playing with these rules a bit. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

Plus when Mike said "SOON", this screams Scream to me. One of the rules is never to say "I'll be right back," and in Scream 3 Randy says "see you soon" as an F you to Ghostface and the rules. Just seems like he is playing with these rules a bit. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

Mike ALWAYS says soon, when there is or there is meant to be an announcement. That means NOTHING. You're looking too far into this.

• Like 1

So...marketing wants to use the iconic and recognizable Ghostface in it's campaigns, IP holder wants to use this as promotion for the TV show. Most of the IP contracts say that they have to please the IP holder or rights can be pulled. IP holder is a dick

I just saw this on OU and thought that it sounded like something that could happen. I mean I have no clue whatsoever but still. 

if this happen if i'm mike aiello say hell no to marktel the tv show and walk away and change it to something to something else

Mike specifically referenced "soon" as the dreaded word. The only clue it contains is "Hi guys, I know you are dying for info, but I can't release anything right now!"

This was furthered by is tweet to others and I which defined SOON. 

As as to why Scream being scrapped would delay the other announcements:

First, everyone is going to be scrambling from A&D, to casting directors, to marketing, to social media. Their main focus is going to be finding and implementing a replacement. Which leads to...

Second, marketing material and press releases would have already been created and approved based on an announcement schedule that included Scream. If Scream is gone, all this material needs to be redone and Scream needs to be cleansed from every piece of media and marketing material.

• Like 6

Well I'm a 30 year old man who has been dying to come to Universal Orlando since I was a babe. As a die-hard horror fan, Halloween Horror Nights has been on my bucket list since I was a young teenager as well, so I won't let anything ruin my first trip there. But it is slightly discouraging that they run into scramble mode the year I choose to come. Regardless, assuming this is all true, I'll still be happy with 8.5 houses even if Scream was so tantalizing (I wish I never saw the leak!). Since I never saw Cabin in the Woods or Halloween, I'd be happy if either of those filled in. 

Holy cow! I go away for half a day and the forum explodes.

I for one really feel for some of the folks over at Universal at the moment.  In particular, Mike.  This has got to SUCK big time.  I am definitely interested in seeing the solution and getting the whole story eventually.

• Like 2

Second, marketing material and press releases would have already been created and approved based on an announcement schedule that included Scream. If Scream is gone, all this material needs to be redone and Scream needs to be cleansed from every piece of media and marketing material.

To me, this is the bigger issue. I have to assume printing on t-shirts, Publix displays, Burger King tray liners/cups, etc. is already done. (I work in publishing, not with marketing materials, but we have to get books to the printer a month out--I imagine this is a similar timeline.)  That's a potentially not insignificant chunk of change, even assuming they have a fourth IP ready to go to fill the Scream spot.  Assuming your manufacturer can still work you in and doesn't have other jobs lined up.

• Like 1

To me, this is the bigger issue. I have to assume printing on t-shirts, Publix displays, Burger King tray liners/cups, etc. is already done. (I work in publishing, not with marketing materials, but we have to get books to the printer a month out--I imagine this is a similar timeline.)  That's a potentially not insignificant chunk of change, even assuming they have a fourth IP ready to go to fill the Scream spot.  Assuming your manufacturer can still work you in and doesn't have other jobs lined up.

I'd be fucking pissed.

They should, however, announce the originals right now.

Yes but the rights would have been worked out ages ago. I have a really hard time believing they just realized that the Scream people wanted it to be the show and not the movie. This would be a colossal breakdown in communication/failure to communicate if that's the case. I really hope its not anything to do with this or there is some next level incompetence over there. 

• Like 1

Thank you, one more question:

Is it difficult to see all houses, scare zones, and both shows in one night? I am going Thursday Oct 29th.

That particular night, it may be difficult without Express.

That said, I get your excitement. Since this is your first year, PLEASE don't let the behind-the-scenes drama taint the event. Take it from me, it's an easy way to cloud your perspective. Go, enjoy, don't think about what might have been, think about what's OH MY GOD HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Yes but the rights would have been worked out ages ago. I have a really hard time believing they just realized that the Scream people wanted it to be the show and not the movie. This would be a colossal breakdown in communication/failure to communicate if that's the case. I really hope its not anything to do with this or there is some next level incompetence over there. 

Unless the initial agreement allowed the movie to be used, but once the TV show was renewed (announced publicly two days ago) the IP holders tried to force the TV show at the last minute

Scream in Hollywood had some rights issues as well, and as a result was forced to only use the characters and story from Scream 4, not the original trilogy.

• Like 6