HHN 25 Discussion

At this point, people are clamoring so hard for information and taking everything as fact... you might want to stick that in your signature, ha! 

What a ride!

Wait until the how of all of this gets out. I'm legitimately impressed so many details are being kept quiet.

• Like 2

Wait until the how of all of this gets out. I'm legitimately impressed so many details are being kept quiet.

This is what interests me most. I can't imagine committing money not only to designing/building a house but also to developing a marketing campaign (brochures, shirts, Publix displays, and a hundred other things) without an iron-clad contract guaranteeing the right to use the IP.

Do you figure that it'll get out in a way OTHER than an official release? Seems like a lot of lips are really quite sealed.

Not officially. But how this got out was big and effected multiple levels. Details will likely filter out once the event starts.

This is what interests me most. I can't imagine committing money not only to designing/building a house but also to developing a marketing campaign (brochures, shirts, Publix displays, and a hundred other things) without an iron-clad contract guaranteeing the right to use the IP.

Well... That's the thing. Either Universal was operating on a presumption (which is bush league), or additional demands were made last minute that either party wouldn't agree to.

• Like 1

Well one thing's for certain, this just got exciting. Sure the event has had to shuffle/shelve houses before for one reason or another, but a kerfluffle with a IP this late in the game? This is quite a curveball, though as a particular candymaker said "The suspense is terrible, I hope it will last!"

I gotta say this has added some excitement to something which was all but decided upon months ago. 

After the list got leaked it just became a slow crawl to the event same as the last couple of years but now the uncertainty is exciting.

I wonder how much this whole thing will cost them in the long run. Something like this has got to amount to a rather large chunk of change surely.

• Like 1

I'm confused. I've read every comment on here, every hint online. Not one single place have I seen anything other than people guessing that the delay has to do with scream possibly being scrapped. These all seem like random thoughts that have now evolved into some twisted truth.

Can someone tell me or show me where it was said that scream is in trouble? Or has the telephone game gotten out of control?

• Like 1

I'm confused. I've read every comment on here, every hint online. Not one single place have I seen anything other than people guessing that the delay has to do with scream possibly being scrapped. These all seem like random thoughts that have now evolved into some twisted truth.

Can someone tell me or show me where it was said that scream is in trouble? Or has the telephone game gotten out of control?

Scream was found to be the 4th house announced on their sweepstakes page. But it never was announced. If an original were to be the 4th announced they would've went ahead with the release schedule. Add in quotes from Mike Aiello inferring challenging times, subtle confirmation from people in the know, and there you go.

• Like 4

All I know is that something isn't being announced, be it either Scream or AWIL, and there's a reason why. beyond that is all speculation

they must really be in a pickle over there if they aren't even telling hhnmatt!

But seriously, it really does seem like a hectic feat this late in the game. I hope this doesn't make management think of the event as a money risk

But seriously, it really does seem like a hectic feat this late in the game. I hope this doesn't make management think of the event as a money risk

Highly doubt it. They'll still make money and it wasn't their fault (probably). If anything they'll require a backup plan for houses that use similar environments (for IPs).

The entire schedule was delayed already wasn't it? Compared to other years at least. Challenges could be any number of things. I think a house being scrapped this late isn't a challenge, its a nightmare. Although it sure is adding some suspense, as I mentioned earlier, to me this really is nothing more than what if scenarios creating paranoia

An unannounced IP house is in trouble. The evidence of its uncertainty is known to several people, but has stayed very quiet. That specifically is what has impressed me. I'm not revealing that evidence publicly yet so I can hopefully protect them (someone already lost their job this year because of a leak).

If this were a telephone game, it looks like I'm the operator. I have no problem with it because MY source is not directly connected to Universal. I'm a couple of levels removed. But I have confirmed with others that, yes, this is all very, very real.

Like I mentioned before: Once the event starts, when I likely won't get in trouble, I'll explain everything I know (unless someone else beats me to it).

• Like 7

Ok so this can't be too worrying. Perhaps one was a decoy, perhaps the trouble is something behind the scenes. Even though universal doesn't have to stand behind leaked information, they will have to compete with it. Since scream has been leaked in various ways, if they have to replace it this late with a second-rate house, it would be a pr disaster. I still assume this delay is part of the plan. Otherwise, why not just confirm the other unannounced IP? Just seems fishy to me that everything is delayed. But everyone's guessing still after the list was leaked months ago, good job by marketing keeping it relevant. Expect scream to be announced soon.

So...marketing wants to use the iconic and recognizable Ghostface in it's campaigns, IP holder wants to use this as promotion for the TV show. Most of the IP contracts say that they have to please the IP holder or rights can be pulled. IP holder is a dick

I just saw this on OU and thought that it sounded like something that could happen. I mean I have no clue whatsoever but still. 

Ok so this can't be too worrying. Perhaps one was a decoy, perhaps the trouble is something behind the scenes. Even though universal doesn't have to stand behind leaked information, they will have to compete with it. Since scream has been leaked in various ways, if they have to replace it this late with a second-rate house, it would be a pr disaster. I still assume this delay is part of the plan. Otherwise, why not just confirm the other unannounced IP? Just seems fishy to me that everything is delayed. But everyone's guessing still after the list was leaked months ago, good job by marketing keeping it relevant. Expect scream to be announced soon.

Except, no, they don't have to do any of those things. Universal doesn't have to compete with us. They can completely ignore us and all this hullabaloo (which is the smart thing to do from a business perspective). All the leaks were named on unofficial news sources. They (and we) are not that important. And they can't just announce the other IP house because these contracts include announce dates.

Fact - Mike went to London with the intent to announce a house, but was unable to because of an issue with rights.
Fact - Scream is included in online marketing materials that were found on the official website.
Assumption - We were meant to get an announcement yesterday (based on the pattern established by Insidious and TWD) and got a photo for an original that they've teased before. We can assume that was a stall.
Fact - Other stuff happened THIS WEEK that I cannot talk about yet. But trust me. It happened.

So...marketing wants to use the iconic and recognizable Ghostface in it's campaigns, IP holder wants to use this as promotion for the TV show. Most of the IP contracts say that they have to please the IP holder or rights can be pulled. IP holder is a dick

I just saw this on OU and thought that it sounded like something that could happen. I mean I have no clue whatsoever but still. 

And based on what I've seen and heard, this is exactly what I'm thinking may have happened. I don't know any of these details, but it feels accurate. Especially since a renewal was announced... um... about the same time all of this started going down.

• Like 2

Went to London to announce scream? Or went to announce something. I just refuse to believe scream is caught in any kond of trouble (admittedly because as a horror fan, I'm in love with the franchise). I may be naieve, but I still see this as just part of the marketing. Leaked problems, delays, it all adds to the suspense. And no, they do not have to answer to fans, but scream is a whole hell of a lot more marketable and revenue generating than last second house of clowns of whatever the hell they would try to fill it with.

Edited by Arm3g3ddon

Went to London to announce scream? Or went to announce something. I just refuse to believe scream is caught in any kond of trouble (admittedly because as a horror fan, I'm in love with the franchise). I may be naieve, but I still see this as just part of the marketing. Leaked problems, delays, it all adds to the suspense. And no, they do not have to answer to fans, but scream is a whole hell of a lot more marketable and revenue generating than last second house of clowns of whatever the hell they would try to fill it with.

Marketing would not purposefully delay announcements, because that's what allows the people to know what's at the event, and makes them want to buy tickets. If this is a marketing stunt (VERY doubtful), it's the dumbest they've done yet. People are complaining all over Facebook and Twitter about lack of announcements. 

I'm thinking Legacy's assumption that we were meant to get something yesterday is correct, because we got that picture, and Mike doing his thing about how all will be known soon.  

• Like 2