Credit where credit is due to the event.

Most of you know that I've been very critical of the event the past few years for lackluster scarezones, non-immersive atmosphere, too much corporate involvement, poor marketing, etc

I still hold these views but am pretty optimistic about a turn around for this year.

However, one thing I never did appreciate is how much more immersive and grandiose the houses have been for awhile. Looking back on old videos sure, it's argued (for some good reason) the houses were "better" in its hayday, but the QUALITY of the houses have gone up across the board. Back then, we'd have a few stellar ones and a few cheap ones. Now, the budgets, even for the worst houses, is much larger.

Thank you.

I agree. Houses have gone up, but almost everything else has suffered. Which is a bummer for those of us who only do the houses a couple of times and then spend our evenings in the streets rather than facing long lines night after night.

I'm really hoping for the streets to be kicked up a notch this year. I haven't really been thoroughly impressed the past 4 years. HHN 20 at least had a couple I enjoyed.

HHN 21 was the last time Sting Alley was used and it had Lady Luck jammed in there. Some of the masks/makeup were done so poorly the scene was almost comical. That year did have Grown Evil, which was 1 of my favorites. I also walked by 7 quite a few times.

HHN 22 was the saddest year for the streets. I remember contemplating if we were even going to return to HHN again after that feeble attempt with the roaming hordes. At least the Traditionals reminded me of Halloween though.

HHN 23 was the year of zombie overkill. I am a huge fan of TWD, but even I thought it was a bit absurd to cover the whole park with only zombies. Halloween isn't only about zombies and there should be an attempt at equal representation to each horror genre. I did enjoy the area from Central Park through the camping area and to Hershel's barn. If they had just used that area for TWD and had a few other different scare zone concepts that year at the park, it probably would have been even better because there were some real good houses that year in my opinion.

HHN 24 I thought all of last year's zones were a bit lacking. The Purge area could be amusing at times I suppose. I thought they were onto something with the Bayou of Blood, but it seemed unfinished. We were also not lucky enough to see the human sacrifice, so I was a little irritated that they just stopped doing it.

I realize that the budget isn't limitless, but the people who are in charge of HHN need to understand that the streets are just as important as the houses... maybe even more important. A lot of people spend a significant amount of time just walking around. For whatever reason, it seems as though they haven't come to grips with the idea that the scare zones actually set much of the mood for the whole event. Most people want to walk from house to house getting scared and excited. Many people (like myself) enjoy watching people getting scared and running from monsters or chainsaw wielding murderers. There really shouldn't be areas of the park that are empty of decorations or scare actors. You shouldn't be able to look around and question whether it's the time of year that HHN is actually taking place. Reuse stuff purchased over the past 24 years if you have to, but get the whole park done. I would almost be scared if they ever decided to go full throttle because people would travel from even further away to partake in the madness.

it seems as though they haven't come to grips with the idea that the scare zones actually set much of the mood for the whole event.

Agree entirely. Part of the reason I adored HHN15 was because of the atmosphere which permeated the entire island, or at least most of it. Any gaps had ambient music. Hell, even the original islands in the park had names!

http://www.horrornightnightmares.com/downloads/guidemaps/HHN15_GUIDE-HHNYB.PDF

The houses that year were not the best overall, hell Body Collectors was the only standout house (rest were pretty good, sans Cold Blind Terror).

Edited by mz_
Map linked to this site. (PDF)