My first experience at HHN...

YouDontKnowJack

Ok, so yes, I'm a HHN noob. 2013 was my first year actually attending the event, however I have been obsessed with it since 2007. I just never had a chance to attend. Now, with HHN 24 in full swing, and a week before I attend, I thought as a new member I should share my first HHN experience, review style! Lets start with mazes from worst to best:

Rubbish-Afterlife: Death's Vengeance:

I had high hopes for this one, but it simply failed to impress me. The first scene in the prison was great, but once the 3D elements began to kick in, it became a letdown. In my honest opinion, 3D was an excuse for painted flat walls and minimal scenery, not to mention the costumes looked like something I could buy at Walgreens in the Halloween isle.

Bad-The Walking Dead: No Safe Haven:

As a fan of The Walking Dead, I was very excited about this maze, but when I experienced it, it seemed like there was just a lack of effort. The walker costumes didn't look nearly as impressive as the ones on the street, the scares were weak, and overall, it just seemed like the maze was used to cash in on the property.

Meh-Havoc: Derailed:

This one was pretty cool. The Dogs of War got me pretty good on the first few scares, but after a few minutes, the novelty wore off and the house seemed like it was repeating the same rooms over and over again.

Okay-Resident Evil: Escape from Raccoon City:

As an avid gamer, I enjoyed this house. It captured the essence of Resident Evil perfectly, but, much like Havoc, it got old really fast and the rooms seemed to just be the same thing over and over again. I must admit, however, it was awesome to see Nemesis shooting at me with a minigun from above!

Good-The Evil Dead:

I loved the 2013 remake of Sam Rami's classic film, and this maze captured the magic and sense of impending doom that both the remake and the original created and perfected. The sets were amazing, but the scares were limited and not very intense compared to the other mazes.

Great-An American Werewolf in London:

I was quite skeptical on how they were going to pull this one off. I thought it would be impossible to make the werewolf come to life in a convincing manner. Boy, was I wrong. The werewolves looked absolutely STUNNING and the set dressing made me feel like I was in the movie. It was insane. The only complaint about this one is that the scares could have been better timed.

Awesome-The Cabin in the Woods:

This was the first house of the night, making it my first HHN maze! I must say, it was great. I felt like I was in the movie, and I will admit, I was pretty scared. Also, I saw Jack on my first trip through, so that was a bonus.

Perfection-Urban Legends: La Llorona:

OK, first of all, the premise of this house is just unsettling. The legend of La Llorona is dark and disturbing to begin with, and this house took it to the next level. The set dressing was, no doubt, the most elaborate and impressive of the year, not to mention that this maze was SCARY AS HELL! I was absolutely TERRIFIED going through this one. I'd consider myself as someone who doesn't scare easily, but this thoroughly did the job. It actually gave me nightmares. Every HHN maze should be like this. It was that great.

The street experience was great this year. As much as I would've liked scarezones, The Walking Dead sets made me feel like I had entered the world of the show.

Sadly, I didn't make it to Rocky Horror or Bill and Ted this year, but I will this year for sure!

Well there you go, a review of my first HHN experience!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rubbish-Afterlife: Death's Vengeance:

I had high hopes for this one, but it simply failed to impress me. The first scene in the prison was great, but once the 3D elements began to kick in, it became a letdown. In my honest opinion, 3D was an excuse for painted flat walls and minimal scenery, not to mention the costumes looked like something I could buy at Walgreens in the Halloween isle.

Only thing I enjoyed about this house was the queue's music.

• Like 1