Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

I'd take a killing floor house over that any day of the year.

I would find killing floor a little hard since there is only a very rough and loose story to go by. Granted it has been getting a little more fleshed out. Not to mention when they had their steampunk phase (I loved that phase though).

I hope not like Afterlife. If they want to do a 3D house right, they need to make it the same quality as The In-Between was. That was the best 3D house that HHN has ever made and they haven't managed to make a great one since.

I love 3D houses, everyone of them in my eyes was great in their own ways. But The In-Between was by far the best one.

/endrant

Edited by IheartNARWHALS
  • Like 1

I hope so, I just hope it is done right like Vengence: Afterlife where they used the darkness and the 3D to their advantage.

Afterlife: Death's Vengeance was not a good example of a 3D house, imo. To me, it was everything wrong with that genre of house. It was very generic and gimmicky with no real use of 3D except to make the colors pop off the walls for no apparent reason. If the house was done House of Horrors style where it was pitch black with strobes going off, it would've given the exact same effect, just utilized better.

The In-Between is the only 3D house out of the 5 I've been in (4 at HHN, plus Circus of Superstition at HoS) that actually utilized 3D in a creative manner. The laser room, the winged demons (Yes Afterlife had those too, but IB was where those costumes were originated so I'm giving that house the credit), the floating heads, the drop doors, etc. Yes, it used the vibrant colors that popped off the wall like ALL 3D houses do, but the house was also compromised of a lot really intuitive effects and rooms.

If we have to have a 3D house (I personally don't want one, but if we do I would assume it would be given to Jack, which is the last place I'd want it to go), I want something even more creative than IB. No vibrant colors popping off the wall. No cliche gimmicks the last few houses have had. I want cool, unique features, like the rooms I just described, or even the Christmas lights room from P&T. On top of that, Make. It. Scary.

That's the most important thing for me, and this goes for any genre of house. They've absolutely got the aesthetics down. They've (seemingly) expanded the event this year. They even got the IPs they want. Now it's time to focus on the absolutely most important part of the event, the part that has been slacking for years: the scare factor. 2011 and 2013 were pretty good, but 2012 and 2014 were really bad when it came to scares and intensity. They need to step it up big time for the 25th, and a big part of that is introducing methods that does not include the same 17-21 boo doors with E-Prompts spread across 9-10 houses.

/endrant

Edited by foREVer56
  • Like 2

I think the main thing is that the more you go, the less the cool stuff they do really affects you! 2009 my first year was terrifying and then 2011 my second year going was really scary as well but 2012 was only kind of scary 2013 was about the same and 2014 was less so. That being said, any other event I've ever been to have been Monumentally less scary and pretty much the same thing year after year! Hopefully they continue to come up with new scares...

Afterlife was cheap and it looked cheap! Unless you knew what was going on the house made NO sense at all.

I personally love P&T over In Between but then again I'm a big fan of P&T.. You should have seen some of the effects from P&T that were changed at the last minute..

That Christmas light room was trippy!

Afterlife was cheap and it looked cheap! Unless you knew what was going on the house made NO sense at all.

I personally love P&T over In Between but then again I'm a big fan of P&T.. You should have seen some of the effects from P&T that were changed at the last minute..

speaking of P&T, Penn lost a lot of weight recently and he should donate some of his extra skin to the masks this year.

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed P&T. It wasn't supper scary but it was a lot of fun. It was MUCH easier to follow than both In-Between and Afterlife. I really loved how they utilized all the different GATs and other interactive elements. Not to mention, Penn and Teller's involvement in the creation of the house. As much as people hate on 2012, I will still stick up for P&T and the other houses.

• Like 3

The In Between took the true potential of 3D house effects, and took it to the max. The only 3D house that was properly done was The In Between in my opinion. However, I will say that Afterlife had a great backstory, but it's downfall was the effects and how it was coordinated. P&T was a really fun house, but it lacked scares. But like I said, The In Between is how all 3D houses should be. I feel like after a while, they got really cheap with 3D houses and thought "Oh, well since it's in 3D maybe people will only pay attention to the glowing stuff and not notice at all how cheaply we constructed everything." I really hope if we get a 3D house again for this year, (Which I think we will.) It needs to utilize the elements that The In Between used.

3D houses are only a "collosal waste of space" if they aren't done properly. Then again, NO house is a collosal waste if done properly. I wouldn't say that 3D houses are useless and a waste of our horrific desires. Rather, it's just extremely difficult to create a SERIOUS and MORBID HOTY-type house from a 3D maze full of colors and shiny/disorienting features. The In-Between is a perfect example of a serious 3D house done correctly. Yes, everyone keeps giving the 2011 HOTY as the same example, but that's only because there are rarely few if any 3D houses that can pull that off.

Trying to create a successful and serious 3D house is like trying to have a horror movie win an Oscar for Best Picture: it's possible, but very difficult to do so, given its style and characteristics. I believe that 3D houses should only be made if it's a sure fact that that it will be just as good as the In-Between, and not a copy (i.e. Afterlife). If they can't make a good serious 3D house, then make a fun one like Penn & Teller. After all, fun 3D houses are usually good.

• Like 1

3D houses are only a "collosal waste of space" if they aren't done properly. Then again, NO house is a collosal waste if done properly. I wouldn't say that 3D houses are useless and a waste of our horrific desires. Rather, it's just extremely difficult to create a SERIOUS and MORBID HOTY-type house from a 3D maze full of colors and shiny/disorienting features. The In-Between is a perfect example of a serious 3D house done correctly. Yes, everyone keeps giving the 2011 HOTY as the same example, but that's only because there are rarely few if any 3D houses that can pull that off.

Trying to create a successful and serious 3D house is like trying to have a horror movie win an Oscar for Best Picture: it's possible, but very difficult to do so, given its style and characteristics. I believe that 3D houses should only be made if it's a sure fact that that it will be just as good as the In-Between, and not a copy (i.e. Afterlife). If they can't make a good serious 3D house, then make a fun one like Penn & Teller. After all, fun 3D houses are usually good.

Compare The In-Between to other really good houses. I'd much rather have no 3D and have a normal house that WILL have a better chance of suceeding than one that has a low chance of suceeding.

And, 3D can be done without the gimmicks. Have depth in a house - the mirror effect we see somewhat frequently, or have wider scenes. Perhaps combine the two more effectively? Mirror effect in a wider scene.

I think I understand what you guys mean, and if I do then I agree with both of you. I don't want a 3D house if anything related to it is going to be half-assed. If a 3D house is going to be created, then I would want the same devotion and passion that was given to houses like Halloween and Nightingales so that it can be a great house. Please don't misunderstand, I'm all for having a normal house that would have a better chance in being successful, unless A&D is 100% sure that the 3D house that is being made that year will be a fantastic house or at least a sleeper hit.

Also, to compare the In-Between to other great HHN houses would be difficult, because it was really unique in its own way. If I had to compare it to anything, I would compare the house to the other HOTY that it tied with, The Forsaken. There were many factors that contributed to it's success. For one thing, the scenery was beautiful with every detail, and you could almost immediately tell the passion that was put into this project, confident that the designers and creative directors did everything they could to make this perfect. Another key thing was the difference in tone as compared other fun and whimsical (aka decent) 3D houses; but the most important factor was the way they used the 3D nature of the house to its advantage. everything from the scenery to the scares took advantage of the 3D style of the house, and the aggressiveness of the scare actors in that house was a huge plus as well. It had innovation, passion, and originality. It was different. The Forsaken also had beautiful scenery, as well as passion, but it was mainly the aggressiveness the scare actors had later on in the event that led it to tie with the In-Between. When another attempt at a serious 3D house was made in 2013, all we got was another carbon copy of the In-Between, but it was worse since it was half-assed.

My point is that unless they are sure the 3D house being made will be overwhelmingly amazing, or at least solid, they should stick to making solid normal houses. Also what did you mean by 3D done without gimmicks, criticalanalysis? Sorry I don't think I get what you mean there.

• Like 2

My point is that unless they are sure the 3D house being made will be overwhelmingly amazing, or at least solid, they should stick to making solid normal houses. Also what did you mean by 3D done without gimmicks, criticalanalysis? Sorry I don't think I get what you mean there.

A good post! When I mentioned gimmicks it means standard 3D stuff including, but not limited to, blending costumes (they're always so obvious), boo-doors that don't even have a door ( just black ), hyper-bright colors, etc.

Maybe this will get the topic back on HHN 25. Props to Charles for the heads up. (Click Pic for the jump)

2zizyoh.jpg

13+? More FFP pass nights than ever before (more nights period). Higher price (well maybe not it includes tax).

Explain and discuss.

Another thing for possible actual speculation. This is an anniversary year and, while I did not speculate a return of previous houses, it is well within the realm of possibility. (After all Mike DID ask on Twitter what old houses you most liked from the past) If we were to get some returns, what would you like to see?

• Like 3

So I can guesstimate that probably FFP with express would be about 150 to 200 dollars more, making them around 250-300 dollars this year. The price increase is intriguing to me though. They did add more nights so that might be why. Or it could be that there will be a 9th house.

Also, is this some sort of pre sale thing? I checked the HHN website and Twitter and nothing has been said yet. A leak perhaps?

Edited by IheartNARWHALS

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic