Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

JDW

The Purge was not obvious. It was a joke of a scare zone. It's not scary and is entirely an action zone. There was not a lot of good theming (compared to Bayou), the ambience was not intense (compared to Saws n Steam for example), their "shows" were laughably boring, etc.

The Purge was one of the most well received zones I've ever seen. I've never any casual guests really give a shit about the scarezones before The Purge. TONS of people got scares and I saw way more scares there than in any zone this year. The auction and abductions were great additions to immerse guests into The Purge and they worked well. You may not have liked it, which is perfectly fine. But from an overall perspective, it's as clear a choice as Halloween was.

• Like 5

The Purge was one of the most well received zones I've ever seen. I've never any casual guests really give a shit about the scarezones before The Purge. TONS of people got scares and I saw way more scares there than in any zone this year. The auction and abductions were great additions to immerse guests into The Purge and they worked well. You may not have liked it, which is perfectly fine. But from an overall perspective, it's as clear a choice as Halloween was.

Yeah, I did not like it because it was an IP scare zone, costumes that are not scary, the auction had NOTHING happen, the set pieces were "there" but weren't themed well because they just fit New York, the motorcycles weren't driving around as they did in Blood Thunder Alley years ago, none of the weapons actually fired, etc.

Yeah, I did not like it because it was an IP scare zone, costumes that are not scary, the auction had NOTHING happen, the set pieces were "there" but weren't themed well because they just fit New York, the motorcycles weren't driving around as they did in Blood Thunder Alley years ago, none of the weapons actually fired, etc.

None of the costumes in any scarezone this year were scary...

• Like 1

Yeah back in the old days when the motorcycles actually ran people over. And if you were still twitchin' they backed up! And they used LIVE ROUNDS in their guns! I was shot dead four times in '03! And them costumes, back then they didn't give no shits what the movie's costumes looked like, they made dem scuuuury as hell!

• Like 11

Agreed, and is one of the reasons I thought this year was pretty average.

Pretty average? Sounds more like it was a terrible year to you besides Halloween and Dollhouse to an extent.

And sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you because you have a negative opinion towards the event, I just get bothered seeing so much negativity on a fan site that generally has more discussion on aspects of the event people loved. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed your overall disdain towards HHN these last few months, that's all. I'm done going back and forth, don't want you to think I just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

Edited by Arsik_22
  • Like 1

I agree with nearly everything he says... I just stopped attending already.

Yep, I may do that, too. I go from NJ to Orlando every year to do this. That's a flight, tickets, food, hotel, etc. It's not cheap. And I've continually seen the event go downhill.

I don't take it personally. I am outspoken about the event. The thing is a lot of veterans (both fans and employees) will agree. Want something even more? The Creative team spoke to me and directly said they know it's not what it used to be. It's because of management, lawyers, and marketing. They do not want the event to be the way it is now. As far as I know, they were only genuinely excited to do AWIL, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Ft13th, and Texas. No other IPs ever really interested in them. And it's for good reason! They lose their ability to be creative, they know what translates WELL to the event and won't work, etc.

, the set pieces were "there" but weren't themed well because they just fit New York

Was back in NYC days before the event started. No "Support the Purge" (or anti-Purge) bumper stickers on cars. No blue flowers. No "Gone Purging" banner. No TVs in the window of Macy's showing Purge activity around the nation. School buses don't read "New Founding Fathers Middle School."

Yeah, the theme was subtle, but it was also well done. Make the street feel like "Any City USA" might during Purge Night. On that level it succeeded wildly.

Also, the cast was the best out of the four SZs--they actually enjoyed scaring people. Loved the blond girl who would peek into Finns just to mess with people.

I also thought this was an average year, but I don't mean that as a slight. Let's face it, I've continued to buy tickets after below-average years. Other than Halloween, nothing making my top 25 houses, but nothing in my bottom 10, either. Enjoyed the SZs--Purge more than the others--but don't think I'll remember them in 5 years. Got some laughs from B&T, but seen the show both better and worse. That's average. Still glad I went to the event.

• Like 1

I also thought this was an average year, but I don't mean that as a slight. Let's face it, I've continued to buy tickets after below-average years. Other than Halloween, nothing making my top 25 houses, but nothing in my bottom 10, either. Enjoyed the SZs--Purge more than the others--but don't think I'll remember them in 5 years. Got some laughs from B&T, but seen the show both better and worse. That's average. Still glad I went to the event.

I can get behind this.

Things change, but people change too. I bet if I put you in a time machine and sent you back to your favorite year, you'd see a whole bunch of faults you overlooked or don't remember from back then because now you're looking at it with different eyes. I used to be terrified of every house. I had to be dragged to the event. Now nothing there scares me. I don't blame the event and say the houses are less scary, I know it's because I'm more relaxed and used to it.

• Like 1

Things change, but people change too. I bet if I put you in a time machine and sent you back to your favorite year, you'd see a whole bunch of faults you overlooked or don't remember from back then because now you're looking at it with different eyes. I used to be terrified of every house. I had to be dragged to the event. Now nothing there scares me. I don't blame the event and say the houses are less scary, I know it's because I'm more relaxed and used to it.

Nope, nothing to do with nostalgia. The event just isn't as good as it used to be for many legitimate reasons.

Preach it girl! Lol

Its basically the nostalgia factor comes into play with older years. I agree with you in saying that the quality hasn't gone down, we just get used to what we see and tend to expect more. I remember my first year going and I was looking down at the floor in my first house. It was Nevermore. I was legitimately scared but now I am staring actors in the face when they pop out and sometimes catching the scareactors off guard.

• Like 1

Preach it girl! Lol

Its basically the nostalgia factor comes into play with older years. I agree with you in saying that the quality hasn't gone down, we just get used to what we see and tend to expect more. I remember my first year going and I was looking down at the floor in my first house. It was Nevermore. I was legitimately scared but now I am staring actors in the face when they pop out and sometimes catching the scareactors off guard.

For the thousandth time it honestly is not nostalgia.

is it nostalgia that 2008 had some of the most interesting scarezones or that 2010 had the best scarezones they have done at Studios?
Or are they the best for me because they had the best costumes and the most props in the streets more than any other zone?

That's the thing, you could say it is nostalgia but some houses did have better quality, better scares, better costumes or better stories than others.

Nostalgia might play a factor, but when the quality is good, then why cannot it just be good? It's like, if something is really good quality wise, why does it have to be nostalgia that makes people remember it so fondly?

could it be perhaps that previous years actually did have some better quality in some of the stuff?

Edited by clash