Halloween Horror Nights 31 Speculation

How busy do you guys think the event will be? I think last year was a “buffer” of sorts for the crowds cause of the dividers, so they were probably less slightly. But I’m not sure it could be on par with 29, since we’re all unfortunately facing against the inflations right now, and some might not come this year.

• Like 1

Here’s my guess on the average wait times:

Legends Collide- 100+ minutes 

Halloween- 120+ minutes 

Blumhouse- 70+ minutes 

Weeknd- 120+ minutes 

Bugs- 60+ minutes 

Descendants- 75+ minutes 

Coven- 90+ minutes 

Dead Man’s Pier- 90+ minutes 

Chupacabras- 80+ minutes 

Hellblock- 70+ minutes 

• Like 1

For my prediction of which one is likely to be the “House of the Year,” then I’m expecting Descendants to be the most well-received, since the Sprung tents have a good track record of the title like last year with the Wicked Growth. If not, then maybe a toss up between Chupacabras and Dead Man’s Pier. 

• Like 1

Got some intriguing info on the newest Stay & Scream locations: Delancey, Central Park, Richter’s/Chez Alcatraz, Soundstage 18 Pathway, and Hard Rock Gate/Minion Way. 

It’ll be interesting to see how much they could thin out the crowds in New York and Springfield. 

• Like 1

My party typically does two nights so last year, night one in Springfield and night 2 New York. This year, one of our two nights is R.I.P Tour for the first time so I guess whatever our favourite house is this year, night two will be that specific area lol

• Like 1

Had a good time at the Studios for the event as a one night trip in Orlando, and I’m now back at home to show you guys my overall review of HHN31. 

Houses

Dead Man’s Pier: This is easily my house of the year! The set and layout designs were jaw-dropping, the intro scene has a really good dark ride vibe, and the telegraphed scares are excellent despite being the most silent house. It’s more than a “GOAT” - It’s a “BOAT GOAT.” 

Descendants: I knew this house has the best scares overall, and I knew I was right about it. But the sets and darkness were surprisingly even better than I thought, and the tilting effect inside the subway train is awesome!!

Halloween: I’m pretty sure most of y’all will say “Oh, it’s Michael Myers. That guy again. Been there and done it already.” But not me cause they were lots of good scares and great pieces filled with the iconic and nostalgic score. There were a handful of weird minor choices, but really good overall.

Weeknd: Finally! A good music based house in Orlando!! It has a fun party vibe and wacky visuals, and some which are probably not in his music videos but were a good fit that made me feel like I was in it. I was very impressed with the scareactors being on point both creatively and genuinely. If he paves the waves for acts to have their own houses in the future, then I wanna thank him so much greatly.

Chupacabras: Though I wish the puppets were scarier and less cartoony, the sets and effects were done very well, and it’s even more enjoyable to see the people scares than the Chupacabras. Unlike some of the other puppet-driven houses such as American Werewolf In London, this one has a very limited articulation.

Bugs: I downright love the aesthetic of the house at the beginning that is delivered so well. It gave me the Leave It To Cleaver vibes but in a completely different theme, and it even made me feel like I was in a B-Rated movie. The victim characters who were “eaten alive” are so freaky. I just wish the ending of this house was better so that it doesn't make me say “Oh, I guess it’s over” again with some more big bug scares.

Legends Collide: Though the sets are great, and some of the scares are also great. But for a house that is super long, it seems to be dragged by a lot of guests. I’m just disappointed with the unequal balance of the monsters’ appearance that revolves around the Mummy way too much. Despite a couple of very noticeable flaws, it’s good.

Blumhouse: The sets weren’t bad; it’s just weird with unimpressive mediocre scares. But at least the Black Phone scareactors did their best. It’s way too clunky for me to like it than I am supposed to, and I don’t think we need another compilation of two IP’s under the Blumhouse name when some coulda been a more full fledged house. 

Hellblock: The sets are repetitive, but there are a few interesting pieces. The “jail” aspect of the house works well despite my disappointment with the facade, since it sells the idea of entering a penitentiary and it’s overall the most retro house.

Spirits of the Coven: This is my bottom of the barrel that disappointedly failed to meet my expectations. The entire energy felt so slow and low with too many loose scares, bad triggers, and way too confusing for a 1920’s bar with a hook and Witches making potions.

Scarezones

Graveyard: A beautifully dark zone with both surprisingly and interestingly excellent costumes, and the sets look even better in person too. I’m really glad that they treat the concept of this zone very seriously by both embracing the tropes and breaking the cliches of the graveyard theme. My zone of the year!

Conjure: Much better than last year’s zone in the San Francisco area; the pathways in the front and behind the mind-blowing stage are easier to take pictures and walk through now. The scareactors are very ambitious when they come up to you in your face, offering the best scares than any other zone.

Scarecrow: Not mind-blowing as Graveyard but it’s a fun and beautiful zone to walk through that really made me feel I was at an Abandoned Farm in a rural area. I’m mostly critical of the barn cause of the slaughterhouse vibes with the distracting lack of the trap roof.

Horrors of Halloween: Though it sort of feels empty and needs some orange lighting, but It’s a better photo-op zone than CryptTV with some scareactors actually doing their own thing, and seeing the Pumpkin Lord first while walking through felt like a very welcoming introduction of the event which truly makes him an icon.

Sweet Revenge: I’m actually shocked how disappointing this zone is. I wanted this to be over-the-top and downright ridiculous other than the Trick or Treaters, but its personality is so lacking and bare-bone.

Shows

Ghoulish!: Easily the best Lagoon show of all time. There are no IP mandates like the last two, and it felt a lot like I was watching a deleted scene from the Nightmare Before Christmas. It’s a fun and experimental show with vintage artwork. My only complaint is for not including a pyro for the ending.

Nightmare Fuel Wildfire: Was expecting to see something new here and there, but it’s the same as last year that is all copying and pasting. If they’re keeping it the way it is years from now, then it’s gonna make me want them to bring back Bill and Ted.

My observations at the event: The crowds were rough, but I was able to hit all the attractions, and I’m so glad they installed raised walkways for the tent queues, which is something we needed after a heavy rain. One big issue I’ve noticed that needs to be taken seriously is the trash cans always get overfilled very quickly. If they could expand the garbage staff, they could clear them out actively during the event, so it stays empty at all times.

Edited by Fear2010
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I’m very curious to how the runs of the houses, scarezones, and shows will go for me when I attend the two nights next month. I’ve been avoiding any sort of photos and videos of the event and just reading people’s personal thoughts on their runs. This year sounds solid and I bet a lot could potentially change in the next month, making some houses rise and drop in people’s rankings and reviews. Getting more and more excited to return to the fog. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...