Halloween Horror Nights 31 Speculation

As of now, I’m hoping for HNN to update the Speculation Map for just one more time before a full dump reveal.

Here something I could say regarding The Weeknd: Some people view pop music as reductive and artless, which Is an old take as the genre itself. When was the last time we had a lot of names in rock music that were everywhere such as the FM radio, television, and music magazines? Pretty much the 2000’s, but none of them will never be on par with The Weeknd or even outsell him commercially, unless you’re Linkin Park or Coldplay. The Weeknd is one of the current faces of youth in music, and let’s not forget about the music video of Michael Jackson’s Thriller who should get his own house as a tribute to him. 

I think he was the kind of surprise that would make you stroke your chin at first, and later realize that he makes more sense than you think if you watch his music videos from After Hours. Will they admit they’re wrong? Probably not, but maybe the best among us do. 

With that said, all the naysaying on all the Twitters and Facebooks are posting for public embarrassments and moral punishments, and these types of behaviors to me are disappointing. If his house turns out to be good and well received critically as the catalyst, then we should be getting more music houses once per year for each act. Can you imagine if we get Slipknot, MJ, Iron Maiden, and Lady Gaga while thanking The Weeknd a few years from now? 

Edited by Fear2010
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honesty those after hours music videos are crazy if you haven't watched save your tears and the other one so I think it should be pretty good! Nobody has mention the vecna clock tweet by the islands of adventure sign universal put out think there's a chance islands will become the upside down or Hawkins? Would def make the event a 2 night 2 ticket type deal  

• Like 2

American Dad episodes referenced to the houses.

The Witches of Langley is Spirits of the Coven, Man In The Moonbouce is the Prison (Hellgate?), Adventures In Haleysitting is Halloween, Stanny Get Your Gun is Fiesta De Chupacabras, Dancin’ A-With My Cell is Dead Man’s Wharf, Bullocks To Stan/ Rough Trade is Blumhouse, Windowmaker is Bugs Eaten Alive, Game Night is Descendants of Destruction, A Starboy Is Born is The Weeknd, and Mine Struggle/Poltergasm/Fianeces With Wolves is Legends Collide. 

Putting all the puzzle pieces together.

Edited by Fear2010
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Fear2010 said:

As of now, I’m hoping for HNN to update the Speculation Map for just one more time before a full dump reveal.

Here something I could say regarding The Weeknd: Some people view pop music as reductive and artless, which Is an old take as the genre itself. When was the last time we had a lot of names in rock music that were everywhere such as the FM radio, television, and music magazines? Pretty much the 2000’s, but none of them will never be on par with The Weeknd or even outsell him commercially, unless you’re Linkin Park or Coldplay. The Weeknd is one of the current faces of youth in music, and let’s not forget about the music video of Michael Jackson’s Thriller who should get his own house as a tribute to him. 

I think he was the kind of surprise that would make you stroke your chin at first, and later realize that he makes more sense than you think if you watch his music videos from After Hours. Will they admit they’re wrong? Probably not, but maybe the best among us do. 

With that said, all the naysaying on all the Twitters and Facebooks are posting for public embarrassments and moral punishments, and these types of behaviors to me are disappointing. If his house turns out to be good and well received critically as the catalyst, then we should be getting more music houses once per year for each act. Can you imagine if we get Slipknot, MJ, Iron Maiden, and Lady Gaga while thanking The Weeknd a few years from now? 

This 1000% percent. It is extremely disappointing the way that people are viewing the addition of this house to the event. I fully respect that people have different tastes in music and The Weeknd doesn't produce their preferred flavor. On a personal level, I'm just a casual listener of his music. I think he has some good music and I've got a few of his mainstream songs in my Apple Music library, but that's the extent to it. I have yet to dig into his music videos, but I gather that he implements a lot of horror themes into them. That being said, I don't know what to expect going into this house, but I trust that Universal will provide casual guests, diehard HHN fans, and The Weeknd fans with a great house, as they usually do.

The issue I have with the people who are so against this is that they clearly don't trust the creative team. I can't stand to see all the whining and bitching about something that they haven't even seen yet. Like you said, assuming it's widely revered, this house may usher in a new era of music related houses based off artists that die hard fans are more fond of. This house is going to bring in A LOT of people who have never come to the event, likely Stranger Things level of new attendees, so the house is going to have to deliver. I have full faith in Universal that they will come up with an excellent house that will surprise a lot of people. The event is only being "ruined" by a mere 10% on a house level. There will be nine other houses to enjoy (or hate based on the comments I've seen, since no one can enjoy anything it seems) plus five scare zones, two shows, and six rides that people can go on to avoid this one house. The hilarious thing to me is the people who are saying they're appalled that Universal would implement this into the event and are going to boycott this year are NO DOUBT still going to come and walk through this house. Bringing a little bit of change to the ever evolving event that is HHN every year is only good both for Universal and us as consumers. This has to be looked at with a business perspective. More people at the event means more money in Universal's pocket. More money in their pocket means more detailed houses, scare zones, shows, etc. in future years to invest in. More detailed houses, scare zones, shows, etc. means happier fans like us. What's so hard to comprehend about this? Universal is a business and they're going to rake in A LOT of cash because of this house. Why wouldn't they collaborate with this mega icon? 

In regards to your comment on The Weeknd's popularity and value, I looked at two posts from yesterday. The Weeknd house announcement post on HHN Orlando's Instagram sits at a little under 40K likes. The Weeknd's Instagram post of the house announcement sits at 1.6M likes. Does anything more need to be said about how HUGE this is for Universal, and, again, how it will only bring good to the event in upcoming years? The attitude people have towards this house is not warranted or necessary. The same team who are working on this house worked on Wicked Growth, Scarecrow, and *insert your favorite house here*. Quit the moaning and complaining, have some faith, and give The Weeknd house a chance before you completely dismiss it, y'all who are enraged over this.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, MGregorio594 said:

This 1000% percent. It is extremely disappointing the way that people are viewing the addition of this house to the event. I fully respect that people have different tastes in music and The Weeknd doesn't produce their preferred flavor. On a personal level, I'm just a casual listener of his music. I think he has some good music and I've got a few of his mainstream songs in my Apple Music library, but that's the extent to it. I have yet to dig into his music videos, but I gather that he implements a lot of horror themes into them. That being said, I don't know what to expect going into this house, but I trust that Universal will provide casual guests, diehard HHN fans, and The Weeknd fans with a great house, as they usually do.

The issue I have with the people who are so against this is that they clearly don't trust the creative team. I can't stand to see all the whining and bitching about something that they haven't even seen yet. Like you said, assuming it's widely revered, this house may usher in a new era of music related houses based off artists that die hard fans are more fond of. This house is going to bring in A LOT of people who have never come to the event, likely Stranger Things level of new attendees, so the house is going to have to deliver. I have full faith in Universal that they will come up with an excellent house that will surprise a lot of people. The event is only being "ruined" by a mere 10% on a house level. There will be nine other houses to enjoy (or hate based on the comments I've seen, since no one can enjoy anything it seems) plus five scare zones, two shows, and six rides that people can go on to avoid this one house. The hilarious thing to me is the people who are saying they're appalled that Universal would implement this into the event and are going to boycott this year are NO DOUBT still going to come and walk through this house. Bringing a little bit of change to the ever evolving event that is HHN every year is only good both for Universal and us as consumers. This has to be looked at with a business perspective. More people at the event means more money in Universal's pocket. More money in their pocket means more detailed houses, scare zones, shows, etc. in future years to invest in. More detailed houses, scare zones, shows, etc. means happier fans like us. What's so hard to comprehend about this? Universal is a business and they're going to rake in A LOT of cash because of this house. Why wouldn't they collaborate with this mega icon? 

In regards to your comment on The Weeknd's popularity and value, I looked at two posts from yesterday. The Weeknd house announcement post on HHN Orlando's Instagram sits at a little under 40K likes. The Weeknd's Instagram post of the house announcement sits at 1.6M likes. Does anything more need to be said about how HUGE this is for Universal, and, again, how it will only bring good to the event in upcoming years? The attitude people have towards this house is not warranted or necessary. The same team who are working on this house worked on Wicked Growth, Scarecrow, and *insert your favorite house here*. Quit the moaning and complaining, have some faith, and give The Weeknd house a chance before you completely dismiss it, y'all who are enraged over this.  

To clarify, this post is not aimed at anyone on this forum, as the comments I've seen on here have been mostly positive. It's aimed at other sites/Twitter.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MGregorio594 said:

As a fan of The Weeknd from House of Balloons Days when he first came out I haven't gravitated towards his music in a while but when the map was leaked in March I immediately went to see what I had been missing with After Hours the save your tears and the other video in the parking garage I knew this house would be gold Abel has transcended past Drake 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MGregorio594 said:

As someone who loves HHN like you and have my own collective taste in music, this is a very well and beautifully done rant that made me shed a tear and smile. The heavy use of gatekeeping caused a negative impact in rock and metal so horribly that it’s everywhere unlike pop, R&B, country and Rap/Hip-Hop. The reason the cliché “Rock Is Dead” statement is so overused for years is because of the labels, the media, the current state of commercial radio; the dividedness over politics, values, and class, and the snobby douchebag fans themselves who don’t know how to behave and be politically neutral - NOT the bands.

Edited by Fear2010
  • Like 3

The song remains the same. Honestly, there has always been gatekeepers and toxicity in the Horror Nights community. I'm not proud to say that I was at some point a HHN snob myself. Thankfully, I grew up and realized everybody enjoys things for different reasons.

I, personally, don't see how the house will jive with the event but it really doesn't matter. Maybe it will maybe it won't. Everyone has their "dud" house that varies from person to person. I will go in, at least, once. If I don't like it, I won't do it again. Simple. No need to get upset. 

The point is the event is strong. Always has been. I left it for several years to see what else was out there. Other haunts have their strong points, but nothing has really captured the scale and feel of HHN for me. Now that my kid can go (she loved it last year) we nixed the others and are just doing this one. 

A little bummed that it looks like Stranger Things won't be a house (as that is my kids super fandom). But most of the originals seem on point and I'm sure it will be a great time. 

• Like 3

Does anyone remember the Coven scarezone from 2010? It was based on a coven of witches seeking revenge on the people who burned the Salem witches at the stake, which is what the rumored Witch house makes me think of. I’m expecting to see the return of it as a house with a supernatural spin. 

• Like 2

That’s a good point on the scarezone and house being connected.

I honestly don’t understand the people on twitter complaining about this year’s roster. It looks like a very strong one, especially with the originals and the themes of traditional Halloween in the scarezones look like they’re going to be a blast. I feel like of the years I’ve been going to this event, this could be the strongest year. 

• Like 2

It’s a weird year for sure. The event was downgraded massively in 2020 for obvious reasons, and made a grand return last year. I’m guessing most aren’t impressed because they wanted certain IP’s like the fourth season of Stranger Things (which I do think it’ll come back next year along with the fifth), and certain Slasher classics that either didn’t came back regularly as Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre like Nightmare on Elm Street and Saw or never had a chance to be at the event at all like Candyman and Scream.

If it’s four IP’s per year as a new trend, then we might heading back to the originals in the future sort of like the old days with the inclusion of the icons, unless they have any backups. Both old and new. Universal have a long and great success during it’s early years at the Orlando parks with HHN that stood everything out before the IP’s officially came to the event. 

Seems like there are less to work with. Disney ridiculously owns so much and with the recent inclusion of Fox, they’re not gonna let their biggest theme park competitor to bring in anything for HHN like American Horror Story. WB owns a lot of great horror properties that we had gotten, but they’re hard to negotiate too, unless that changes next year by bringing back the Exorcist as a 50th anniversary celebration with a new scene or two to promote the upcoming sequel trilogy.

• Like 1

Every year has the last announcement 28 to 33 days before the event kicks in. It’ll start on Labor Day weekend this year, meaning the next week or (If not) two, so the 31 days away from HHN might be a true theory, and I’m so loving the 31 puns.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 7:35 PM, Sinfear said:

I honestly don’t understand the people on twitter complaining about this year’s roster. It looks like a very strong one, especially with the originals and the themes of traditional Halloween in the scarezones look like they’re going to be a blast. I feel like of the years I’ve been going to this event, this could be the strongest year. 

I was talking to one of my coworkers the other day who was going for her first time this year and she told me a good point I didn’t think of. While I’m excited about the “Traditional Halloween” theme she said she was kinda disappointed in that when I told her as it was her first year and wanted something like Gorewood or Crypt TV. This will be my 9th year at HHN so while I’m looking forward to this theme, I can understand why she or someone new will not be. 

Edited by Kichkinet
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Fear2010 said:

If the last announcement is this week, then it’s the final countdown. It’s been a fun speculation with you guys, and in the next few weeks we’ll have everything including the food and drinks. I just hope Mark will make another speculation thread sooner for us after this year’s event end.

https://m.youtube.com/

I'm curious how they will handle the remainder of the announcements this year.

In early/mid-August of last year, Universal uploaded a singular, less than one minute YouTube video, see below, announcing the five scare zones, remaining five original houses (Icons got its own reveal on 8/5/2021), and two shows (Nightmare Fuel and MoM weren't titled, there was just a statement that there'd be two shows).  

The merch and food & drinks didn't receive announcements at all last year. Universal did put up a video of a walkthrough of the tribute store in late August that showed merch on the shelves, but it wasn't an announcement. The food & drink menus were being displayed on the tent and bar fronts a few weeks before the event began, but again, there wasn't a formal announcement. 

2018 is personally my favorite year, not only because it was a tremendous event with some of the best houses Universal's ever put up, but the way Universal built to it. We got our first announcement which was Stranger Things, accompanied by an epic trailer, more than five months before opening night. Then we got the Dead Exposure: Patient Zero trailer and announcement later in April, followed by Trick r' Treat in mid-May. The remainder of the announcements were spread out through August fairly evenly. Almost each announcement was on a Thursday and was associated with a trailer and blog post that provided details on what would be within the house, and it made it feel more special. The scare zones got their own blog post, as well as the food & drinks and merch. To top it all off, we got the below hour long video about a month before opening night of the Horror Nights team discussing the years event. 

This year, just like last, is going to be dominated by originals, so it is odd that Universal is treating them as throwaways in their announcements. The title of the video below doesn't even let the viewer know it is an announcement. Going back to a few years ago where each house and the scare zones would get their own announcements, it made everything feel more important and bigger. Uploading a video announcing so much stuff, and not even stating its an announcement makes me scratch my head. Hopefully Universal gives the originals, scare zones, shows, food & drinks, and merch their own announcements that lend more to years in the past in the coming weeks, but I fear we will see something like the below. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MGregorio594 said:

2018 is personally my favorite year, not only because it was a tremendous event with some of the best houses Universal's ever put up, but the way Universal built to it. We got our first announcement which was Stranger Things, accompanied by an epic trailer, more than five months before opening night. Then we got the Dead Exposure: Patient Zero trailer and announcement later in April, followed by Trick r' Treat in mid-May. The remainder of the announcements were spread out through August fairly evenly. Almost each announcement was on a Thursday and was associated with a trailer and blog post that provided details on what would be within the house, and it made it feel more special. The scare zones got their own blog post, as well as the food & drinks and merch. To top it all off, we got the below hour long video about a month before opening night of the Horror Nights team discussing the years event. 

25 minutes ago, MGregorio594 said:

This is something they could get back going to next year, It kinda felt like a Nintendo Direct style announcement to me with interviews after it, and was also one of Orlando’s best ways to build up the excitement. Makes me wish Universal would held their own Expo similar to D23. 

Edited by Fear2010
  • Like 1

The Pumpkin Lord is back on this year’s merchandise, but the rumored Traditional Halloween scarezone should have him included for photo-opps, and they should go with the 2.0 design like the concept art. He is such an inclusive character for this year. 

Edited by Fear2010
  • Thanks 1