Halloween Horror Nights 24 Speculation

The "Interstellar terror" house from reflections of fear is actually heavily based on dead space.

NO IT'S NOT!

Interstellar Terror was based on Event Horizon. It wasn't based on Dead Space because Dead Space WASN'T EVEN RELEASED BEFORE THE HOUSE WAS CREATED. It was released in October of 2008... Interstellar Terror was released in September of 2008. The creative team would have had nothing to work off of.

Also, there are no actual monsters in Interstellar Terror. It's the crew of a ship that has gone insane. Event Horizon is about the crew of a ship that has gone insane. There are no necromorphs or anything like a necromorph in IT.

This has proven to be the most infuriating misunderstanding about a house ever. It's a ignoring a phenomenal and underrated movie in lieu of a game that logically shares only the aspect of space with the house. It's flat wrong.

• Like 6

The Bioshock fanchise is not dead. Irrational games may have gone under, but 2K still owns the rights. I'm sure you will see sequels developed by a different studio through 2K. While Saws and Steam was very close to a Bioshock house, more could definately be done in that world. Don't get me wrong I do not think there will be a Bioshock house this year, but I would be very happy if there was one. The one that seams the most feaseable to me is KISS. Gene Simons would totally be into something like that. I on the other hand would not.

• Like 1

NO IT'S NOT!

Interstellar Terror was based on Event Horizon. It wasn't based on Dead Space because Dead Space WASN'T EVEN RELEASED BEFORE THE HOUSE WAS CREATED. It was released in October of 2008... Interstellar Terror was released in September of 2008. The creative team would have had nothing to work off of.

Also, there are no actual monsters in Interstellar Terror. It's the crew of a ship that has gone insane. Event Horizon is about the crew of a ship that has gone insane. There are no necromorphs or anything like a necromorph in IT.

This has proven to be the most infuriating misunderstanding about a house ever. It's a ignoring a phenomenal and underrated movie in lieu of a game that logically shares only the aspect of space with the house. It's flat wrong.

Sorry to have offended you. I actually love that movie.

I own the dvd. I've watched it eight times and YES, while it did occur to me that ISH was based on it, given the evidence presented here, it wasn't relevant. Or was less so in accordance to this year's events. I REALLY didn't mean to disregard it. Hell, even the house layout basically confirms event horrizon was an inspiration given the spinning tunnel and what not. I'm not an idiot, like you may think I am. I was just wrong. I should note that at the time, I was thought that dead space was released around 2006-2007 or something. Around the time the xbox 360 was released. I should have looked that up, and I am very sorry for not doing so.

Now can we move on? Anyways.

Trust me when I say I'd hate to have dead space as a house. HATE. I'd rather have system shock, bioshock's precursor or something that was designed with even a fraction of ingenuity, rather than its bastard son bioshock or... Dead space.

And after last year, I don't even want video games to touch this event. Resident evil was vomitously terrible.

But, the reality is that this event isn't made for people like us. And when it comes to what's in the public consciousness, bioshock is now tied to "Infinity" which... Is much less a horror game. I haven't played it but... I already don't like it compared to the first one. And most people have no idea what event horizon is. At all.

While we're on the subject, and I was going to let this slide, but YOU have also have your misconceptions.

Irrational may have gone out of business, but EA can continue the series. THQ went out of business and yet saints row 4 got released.

YES I KNOW IT WAS ALREADY IN PRODUCTION.

If you need further proof, though: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214932/

Bioshock fairly recently returned to rapture for a fifteen dollar dlc campaign. EA can milk the franchise for all its worth until it ceases to be milk and just becomes water.

We can all bicker until the cows come home, but given that saws n' steam has happened twice, I just don't see it coming back again. Especially because sci-fi concepts are so rare in hhn to begin with. It could, don't get me wrong, it could.

But at the end of the day, it all depends on the money. I was probably really more thinking about public relevance and going off of what we already had seen given past.

So, ultimately while I was wrong about the inspiration, the point I had may or may not be valid. To be honest, I don't know shit about dead space, so next time I mention it (and I probably won't) I'll make sure something like this doesn't happen again.

Edited by Dr. John Overwatch

Insiprations comes from a lot of places.

There was no artifact in Event Horizon but there is one in Dead Space. There were no thing-like monsters in IT and the same goes for Event Horizon. Event Horizon was ship alive with a presence pulled from a hellish dimension while in IT it was just the alien artifact that drove the crew mad. However a Star Trek episode called "The Eyes of the Beholders" had exactly that... which was probably borrowed form Lovecraft who loved to pull that in just about every story. (Go Mad from the Revelation trope) And we all know JMR was a big Star Trek fan.

I gotta wonder though, just based on the fact there was an artifact in IT if the creators may have already seen or knew about what was in Dead Space. I'm sure there was a synopsis for the game long before it came out. IT coincided so closely with that aspect it just seems more than coincidence.

But that is astray. I doubt we will see IT come back. As much as I love the house that is probably for the best. I would love to see more space themes. I would KILL for a H.R. Giger Alien house but of course that is blue sky talk

Although.... Epic IP... unique characters... 80's horror.... hmm... Naaaah

• Like 1

But that is astray. I doubt we will see IT come back. As much as I love the house that is probably for the best. I would love to see more space themes. I would KILL for a H.R. Giger Alien house but of course that is blue sky talk

But if this happens then... My joke would be right... I don't think I could deal with that, man.

THQ wasn't the game developer, Volition was. When THQ went under Volition was bought by another publisher. So very different situation.

That said, the earliest we could expect 2K to release anything with Bioshock is 2016. That's if they rush development starting now. That's if they want to, and if they want Rapture. It's not happening.

And yeah, I played Burial at Sea.

Insiprations comes from a lot of places.

There was no artifact in Event Horizon but there is one in Dead Space. There were no thing-like monsters in IT and the same goes for Event Horizon. Event Horizon was ship alive with a presence pulled from a hellish dimension while in IT it was just the alien artifact that drove the crew mad. However a Star Trek episode called "The Eyes of the Beholders" had exactly that... which was probably borrowed form Lovecraft who loved to pull that in just about every story. (Go Mad from the Revelation trope) And we all know JMR was a big Star Trek fan.

I gotta wonder though, just based on the fact there was an artifact in IT if the creators may have already seen or knew about what was in Dead Space. I'm sure there was a synopsis for the game long before it came out. IT coincided so closely with that aspect it just seems more than coincidence.

There wasn't an "artifact", but there was the gyro-core engine that looked damn artifacty.

THQ wasn't the game developer, Volition was. When THQ went under Volition was bought by another publisher. So very different situation.

That said, the earliest we could expect 2K to release anything with Bioshock is 2016. That's if they rush development starting now. That's if they want to, and if they want Rapture. It's not happening.

And yeah, I played Burial at Sea.

There wasn't an "artifact", but there was the gyro-core engine that looked damn artifacty.

Good point and I'm not arguing with you on that. Just saying that the inspirations comes from all over. It definitely has that Event Horizon feel what with the gouging of symbols in the skin and what not. But they made it their own and honeslty that's really all I want them to do. Anyone can directly lift material from movies and sure it can be good. But I prefer, by far, for them to take the some old rehashed concepts and devleop them with their own twists.

Do you think Dr. Jimmy will post the first cryptic comment tonight or do you think he'll wait? He posted the first one on April 2 last year. Think he'll do it again this year?

I will post my cryptic comments .... when the time is right. Or when the stars are right, or something like that...

• Like 5

I will post my cryptic comments .... when the time is right. Or when the stars are right, or something like that...

Teehee i'm silly

Cthulhu is a Great Old One and is by far the most prominent member of the group. He currently lies in death-like sleep in the sunken city of R'lyeh somewhere in the Southeast Pacific Ocean. "When the stars are right", R'lyeh will rise from the sea, never to sink again, and Cthulhu will awaken and revel across the world, "ravening for delight".

• Like 1

I have NO idea about the video games you guys are talking about. Anyonelse like me not play video games?

Tarnation! I think those Veddeeo Games are made by that same feller that made my horseless carriage and those aero flyin' machines! Haha. In other words.....I'm right there with you.

• Like 1

The next person to suggest that Saws n Steam was at all representative of Bioshock and/or Rapture is getting smacked with a fish.

I'm not saying you're wrong or right here, and that's not only because I've been threatened with a fish, but would you like to explain what its representative of, if said previous examples were not it?

I'm actually asking because I'm a huge nerd and I like knowing things, but please explain it in a pm or another thread, I don't want to derail this one any further.

I'm not saying you're wrong or right here, and that's not only because I've been threatened with a fish, but would you like to explain what its representative of, if said previous examples were not it?

I'm actually asking because I'm a huge nerd and I like knowing things, but please explain it in a pm or another thread, I don't want to derail this one any further.

Eh, people are gonna discuss the annual April Fool's stuff anyway.

SnS didn't really represent anything. It was an "original" concept with only a passing resemblance to anything in particular, other than a very general steampunk motif. Not a bad house, but not terribly creative, a few cool effects notwithstanding. It's annoying to see it get compared to Rapture, one of the best, most distinct settings in video games, or any entertainment medium for that matter, just because it had a guy in a diving suit. There's just so much more an ACTUAL BioShock house would offer.

Of course, it would also be crazy expensive if done properly.

Edited by Nightshade

Tarnation! I think those Veddeeo Games are made by that same feller that made my horseless carriage and those aero flyin' machines! Haha. In other words.....I'm right there with you.

LOL I even grew up when Nintendo and Sega and shit were HUGE. My parents bought all the systems but we never played them. We went outside and fought with the neighbor kids and threw rocks at trains. Come to think of it.... video games might have cut down on the cops coming to the house.... hmmmm.

• Like 1