Halloween Horror Nights 24 Speculation

How does The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley being unavailable at night during the event impact your interest in attending Halloween Horror Nights?

1. It makes me not want to attend Halloween Horror Nights

2. I may reconsider, but might still attend anyway.

3. It does not affect my interest in attending / that's not what I'm going for.

Those 3 answers don't really fit into the reality of the situation.

How about an answer 4... You are still going to the event, but are rather disappointed that Universal is forcing you to spend additional cash in order to see Diagon Alley.

• Like 5

Mr. Murdy has tweeted: "All signs say yes" in regards to a maze announcement this week.

Those on the HHNH side of things suspect an announcement of AWIL for their coast.

But the possibility for us to receive a joint announcement is also there.

I do not see this coast receiving an announcement until after tomorrow.

So...

If we see one this week and it's a joint announcement,what are our best guesses? Drac or AvP? I want AvP, but I'm bias toward that property.

If we see on this week and it's not joint, we are left with either Halloween, Purge, Face Off, Halloween/Purge, Halloween/Face Off, or Purge/Face Off. I'm not seeing an original being announced this early.

I'm going to speculate an announcement of Purge or Purge/Face Off. If marketing has been paying attention, they should be aware that the masses haven't been paying attention and think that TWD is in the streets again. Announcing a nonTWD street would be a good move.

Now, Purge, unfortunately, would lead the less observant to believe The Purge is the entire street experience.

But, I don't see an announcement for Face Off coming before the airing of the 1st episode of this season. Season Premiere is 7/18, and that's just the first challenge. I suppose a watch Face Off on (fill in date) to see an all new scare zone design announcement could work, but I feel the Face Off announcemt would be better suited on the day before, day of, or day after the episode attached to HHN airs.

• Like 2

I'm going to speculate an announcement of Purge or Purge/Face Off. If marketing has been paying attention, they should be aware that the masses haven't been paying attention and think that TWD is in the streets again. Announcing a nonTWD street would be a good move.

I feel like I'm always the devil's advocate here, but why do you guys always assume the GP hates The Walking Dead? Who's to say they didnt enjoy the streets? I did and I'm not the GP..

• Like 2

I feel like I'm always the devil's advocate here, but why do you guys always assume the GP hates The Walking Dead? Who's to say they didnt enjoy the streets? I did and I'm not the GP..

It's not that I feel the GP hates it. I'm actually referring to the fact that it appears a large number of people believe TWD will be in the streets again.

It would serve them well to address that early. For both the people who hate it and the people who love it. It just makes sense to make everyone aware that the streets will be diverse and varied this year since so many appear to believe it will be TWD themed in the streets again.

(I've read posts by people who refuse to believe that TWD won't be the whole street experience even after they watched Mike's announcement video.)

Edited by mystiquephreeq

Mr. Murdy has tweeted: "All signs say yes" in regards to a maze announcement this week.

Those on the HHNH side of things suspect an announcement of AWIL for their coast.

But the possibility for us to receive a joint announcement is also there.

Now, Purge, unfortunately, would lead the less observant to believe The Purge is the entire street experience.

I could be wrong, but I think that some in Hollywood believe they are getting the AWIL announcement because when someone asked Murdy about which codename will be the next to be released, he responded with "concentrate and ask again". Some then assumed that he was referring to Soap Commercial instead of possibly seeing it as just the best Magic 8-Ball answer for the question. Honestly, I'm hoping for the joint announcement (AVP).

The masses do believe that The Walking Dead will be taking over the park again this year. I'm pretty sure Mike clearly states that it will only be in 1 house. Why are they confused? I am very confused by this.

Like I said earlier, and like you are pretty much saying now, they should let the public know that there will be a Purge scare zone before the movie releases. I will laugh though if they get confused and think all the scare zones will be the Purge this year.

I could be wrong, but I think that some in Hollywood believe they are getting the AWIL announcement because when someone asked Murdy about which codename will be the next to be released, he responded with "concentrate and ask again". Some then assumed that he was referring to Soap Commercial instead of possibly seeing it as just the best Magic 8-Ball answer for the question. Honestly, I'm hoping for the joint announcement (AVP).

The masses do believe that The Walking Dead will be taking over the park again this year. I'm pretty sure Mike clearly states that it will only be in 1 house. Why are they confused? I am very confused by this.

Like I said earlier, and like you are pretty much saying now, they should let the public know that there will be a Purge scare zone before the movie releases. I will laugh though if they get confused and think all the scare zones will be the Purge this year.

I really want AvP to be the next announcement. The wait is killing me!!! I need to hear it from UO, so I know I not dreaming.

I don't know why the masses are confused, but I'm not surprised by it. It's like all the people who said since TWD is coming back they aren't going this year. You point out that it's only 1 house, and they just don't believe you and refuse to wait and see the other announcements.

My big fear is that a Purge announcement not linked to any other SZ announcement will lead to exactly that kind of confusion. Oh! So, it's not all TWD! It's all Purge! Why can't we have diverse scarezones?!!!

And then I'm going to have to respond with..

Because you refuse to read announcements thoroughly.

It's not that I feel the GP hates it. I'm actually referring to the fact that it appears a large number of people believe TWD will be in the streets again.

It would serve them well to address that early. For both the people who hate it and the people who love it. It just makes sense to make everyone aware that the streets will be diverse and varied this year since so many appear to believe it will be TWD themed in the streets again.

(I've read posts by people who refuse to believe that TWD won't be the whole street experience even after they watched Mike's announcement video.)

Ah well, from what I've seen, I think the Orlando GP does a pretty good job overall when it comes to knowing what to expect from the event before they get there. I sorta disagree, if they announce "scare zones are back", a very large majority will know what it means.

Edited by Coast

If Aiello announces The Purge by saying something like "The Purge: Anarchy will be one of the many scarezones for the event this year", There's a high chance people will understand that there will be more. I'm sure he's not gonna be straight forward and say "The Purge is gonna be on the streets". He always makes his point clear. I don't understand where you heard that the GP think TWD is all streets this year. If they think that, then they haven't watched Aiello's video, which doesn't make sense to me because the video is RIGHT THERE as soon as you enter the website. Anyways, back to my prediction... I expect The Purge to be the next announcement, due to "marketing", for the movie, which comes out in a little over a week. Maybe they'll announce it the day that it hits theaters? Who knows. Not sure about you guys, but I see it as a smart move, and if they end up announcing it, I'm satisfied for the rest of the month.

(And I'm pretty sure the GP doesn't start going on the HHN website until it gets closer to Halloween time and they are thinking about going because they saw an ad on TV or somewhere on the internet)

Edited by JackTheREAPER

I don't understand where you heard that the GP think TWD is all streets this year.

(And I'm pretty sure the GP doesn't start going on the HHN website until it gets closer to Halloween time and they are thinking about going because they saw an ad on TV or somewhere on the internet)

I've seen posts on twitter, facebook, and all over youtube from all different people convinced that TWD is going to be everywhere (or at least going to be the central theme of HHN). I'm not sure if you want to call them general public, masses, or people who like to complain... whoever or whatever they are, they are out there, and there are many of them.

• Like 1

Here are some posts to explain what I was referring to. All of these are comments on the announcement video on the HHN FB page. As you can see, people weren't/aren't paying attention.

"AND a major scare zone. 3rd year in a row they do something Walking Dead. We're bored."

"I can make anything the theme, but when I immerse you in only zombies, at that point does it matter what they "call" the theme?"

"I was pissed at the announcement of another walking dead year but im genuinely excited about this largest maze ever thing."

"Mike Aiello should be fired..The Terror You Can Expect?? Let me guess same crap as last year!! Walking Dead Season 4 Are you F*&king kidding me?? Here is a idea for next year too...Walking Dead Season 5...Oooo I'm a genius."

"I think we are all heading to Busch Gardens this year. I have been to every HHN since it began multiple times per year. But, the company no longer cares about putting out a great product. Only taking money at the ticket booth. Even the discounted Frequent Fear is too much to pay for the CRAP HHN of 2013 and it looks as if it will be just as CRAP for HHN 2014."

"You'd have a valid point if they didn't already announce the SAME theme for the third year. And yes. I could plan a much better theme than catering to whatever's popular at the time. It's also obvious, by all the feedback, they don't care about opinion, just dollars. The formula for HHN has been the same for years since the true creative team fell apart. But seeing as you don't even look old enough to have been alive during the beginnings of HHN how would you know? None the less attempt to school me on creativity."

whoever or whatever they are, they are out there, and there are many of them.

That sounded like a quote from Gremlins or something lol

And yes, I am quite aware that there are many of them. However, I'm sure they will get the picture once there is a scarezone reveal.

Maybe a scarezone combo? We could see 2 scarezones announced at once just so the point can be made, and people can understand.

I feel like the possibility of them announcing The Purge on the day that it hits theaters is very likely. We'll just have to wait for the 18th and find out ;)

(btw Deliver Us From Evil was pretty good. Just got back from seeing it)

Which was my point to begin with...

I think announcing a scare zone or scare zone/house combo or scare zones would be a good marketing move to help clarify that TWD will not be the street experience again.

Although, I would not be surprised by a knee jerk reaction of "Oh! Purge as the entire street experience!" if it is announced first and by itself.

The announcement video clearly stated that TWD was only 1 house and not a part of the streets, yet people still assumed it was the overall theme.

• Like 1

The announcement video clearly stated that TWD was only 1 house and not a part of the streets, yet people still assumed it was the overall theme.

Which brings us back to the fact on how stupid some people are. I mean come on... as soon as you enter the HHN website, the video is RIGHT THERE in a window that takes up almost the entire screen. I think the problem is that some people are not only reading HHN Orlando's feed and tweets, but HHN Hollywood's as well, and they are getting the 2 mixed up. Hence the guy that was talking about the Terror Tram.

However, do you think that people would have a negative reaction to The Purge, even if they assume it is taking over the streets? (Which it is NOT). I don't think people dislike an ALL STREET theme. I think they just dislike TWD. They HAVE seen it before, multiple times. Some people think zombies are boring. I don't think zombies are boring. They just aren't scary compared to psycho maniacs on a killing spree.

Edited by JackTheREAPER

However, do you think that people would have a negative reaction to The Purge, even if they assume it is taking over the streets? (Which it is NOT). I don't think people dislike an ALL STREET theme. I think they just dislike TWD. They HAVE seen it before, multiple times. Some people think zombies are boring. I don't think zombies are boring. They just aren't scary compared to psycho maniacs on a killing spree.

Negative reaction? Yes and no.

There were/are plenty of people who are complaining about the lack of diversity in a centralized themed street experience. And these people would like to see individual zones back. So, if they assume it's all Purge they'll will be unhappy with the announcement.

There were also many people who asked for a centralized Purge themed street experience. The problem for this group of people is they will most likely end up confused by further scare zone announcements if they assume it's all Purge.

Good marketing should be succinct and shouldn't have to be explained further (although people are stupid and refuse to either watch or read information).

Personally, starting off with Face Off as a scare zone announcement would (in my opinion) help negate this confusion, and the animosity toward IPs that we have seen.

It's an IP based on diversity. It would be easier to reiterate that there will be multiple zones. And it is technically "original" (one of constant complaints). Since these make ups will have never been seen before and are original inspirations derived from the minds of the artists, it could appeal to the demand for originality. It just doesn't have the powerful name to be the first SZ announcement.

Unfortunately, my original hope for how the Face Off SZ would be done (not thematically but business wise) doesn't seem possible.

My original thought was:

We would get the final 3 competing at HHN. The show is on Fridays this time (7/18 is a Friday). 9/19 (Opening Night) could have been the season finale. Each of the final 3 have to make at least 3 make ups for their final challenge. It would have fit nicely for HHN. But, 10 episodes isn't enough time (I think they normally do about 13).

Of course, that thought would have done well for a stand alone announcement next week. Perfect tie in. Watch this season's Face Off to see who will be competing at HHN Orlando!

I still kind of hope I'm right on how this plays out, but it seems the time frame is against me.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 1

People are going to assume whatever they want. People are so dumbed down these days thatno amount of good marketting will ever convince them otherwise, why? Because people don't read or pay attention hence the video and comments mystic referred to. I bet you for the most part people ether did not bother to see the video, or they did and just decided to post rubbish because trolling is a full time job for them. Ether way it's a scary thing to see how low some have fallen that we have to sit here and discuss how to convey a message because people are to dumb to understand. At the end of the day it don't matter, after posting crap people will still go, pay the prices, make the long lines, and walk through the houses they all complained about and will complain about in the future. Mind baffling.

Here are some posts to explain what I was referring to. All of these are comments on the announcement video on the HHN FB page. As you can see, people weren't/aren't paying attention.

"AND a major scare zone. 3rd year in a row they do something Walking Dead. We're bored."

"I can make anything the theme, but when I immerse you in only zombies, at that point does it matter what they "call" the theme?"

"I was pissed at the announcement of another walking dead year but im genuinely excited about this largest maze ever thing."

"Mike Aiello should be fired..The Terror You Can Expect?? Let me guess same crap as last year!! Walking Dead Season 4 Are you F*&king kidding me?? Here is a idea for next year too...Walking Dead Season 5...Oooo I'm a genius."

"I think we are all heading to Busch Gardens this year. I have been to every HHN since it began multiple times per year. But, the company no longer cares about putting out a great product. Only taking money at the ticket booth. Even the discounted Frequent Fear is too much to pay for the CRAP HHN of 2013 and it looks as if it will be just as CRAP for HHN 2014."

"You'd have a valid point if they didn't already announce the SAME theme for the third year. And yes. I could plan a much better theme than catering to whatever's popular at the time. It's also obvious, by all the feedback, they don't care about opinion, just dollars. The formula for HHN has been the same for years since the true creative team fell apart. But seeing as you don't even look old enough to have been alive during the beginnings of HHN how would you know? None the less attempt to school me on creativity."

Maybe I'm missing the big picture here, but I think General Public means the people who are from XYZ and going to Orlando already and might just decide to go, or Kisseme kids who are bored on a Friday and decide to just go buy a ticket and attend, or someone like me years ago who saw a special on The Travel Channel (or something like that) and thought "That's amazing, we have to travel 1200 miles to go!", or people like that.

Anybody who is enough of a fan of HHN to go onto social media and bitch about it isn't really the GP in my mind. Sure, a bunch are the trolls who give every single product on Amazon 1 star to feel like they're important, but the rest are people who are aware of the event and following it months before it starts and before the website really even has any content on it. They're all fans.

Now, if HHN makes an agreement with AMC to run NATIONAL commercials during TWD, that's brilliant and that would really impact the GP and get "butts in seats" so to say. That reaches the GP, not twitter posts or Facebook Videos of Aiello. Those NEVER reach the GP...only people who are already aware of the event and considering going. The houses and zones (or lack there of) might influence a few, but a set percentage of those people are already going so the mythical GP are the situational buyers (not the right term, but drawing a blank right now) who buy candybars or People Magazine at the supermarket checkout since they stuck there in front of them and they just go for it. Those people, will see The Walking Dead and say "wow, I hear great things about the show/love the show...I want to go to this event so I can live it!"

Let's not think that if you aren't on this forum with at least 300 posts that you aren't a real fan and therefor part of the GP.

Edited by Oysterhead00

Eh... "GP" is generally a catch-all term for people who don't follow HHN year round (like us). Complaints on social media are a hard judge of what is or isn't GP because social media is supposed to make things accessible to the GP. It's the illusion of conversation.

If those complaints weren't from the GP, they would take the time to clarify or really find answers. But they're not. The people who typically Facebook/Tweet their thoughts are only as invested in the event as the time it takes to see a title and type a response.

To paraphrase Dr. Peter Venkman:

There are more than two grades of crazy, okay? There's not just GP and fanboy. There are many subtle levels.

To change the subject from "who's a fanboy and who's not", I did the calculations on the line queues after I removed the mysterious 5th line. Most are reasonable but it looks like TWD (if started over by Dispicable ME) will be 11200+- feet which is roughly .2 miles just to get to the house. That's a hike.

• Like 2

Eh... "GP" is generally a catch-all term for people who don't follow HHN year round (like us). Complaints on social media are a hard judge of what is or isn't GP because social media is supposed to make things accessible to the GP. It's the illusion of conversation.

If those complaints weren't from the GP, they would take the time to clarify or really find answers. But they're not. The people who typically Facebook/Tweet their thoughts are only as invested in the event as the time it takes to see a title and type a response.

while i can agree with you to an extent, most of the people i see talking to Aiello on Twitter are SirOwenDisney, PsychoMassacreFilms, and Dr.Jimmy... not what i'd call the GP but I have been of the belief that Facebook/Twitter has been the downfall of storytelling as a whole... (Not just HHN) They fire the guy who created the picture for us and then the creative genius of MJR left, I still believe in creative unfortunately they dont have enough power...

To change the subject from "who's a fanboy and who's not", I did the calculations on the line queues after I removed the mysterious 5th line. Most are reasonable but it looks like TWD (if started over by Dispicable ME) will be 11200+- feet which is roughly .2 miles just to get to the house. That's a hike.

Well when dealing with Zombies, cardio is important.

• Like 10