Scrapped houses, changed effects, dropped characters, etc?

Guest kiwisoup

Guest kiwisoup

Reading more and more about HHN, of course there are the obvious things that were scrapped or changed like Cindy, Eddie, the extreme house, etc

...but I'm kinda interested to make a list of some of the lesser known changed to the event, weather it was a scrapped house, a dropped character, an effect in a house that had to be changed up or nixed partway through the event, or things being added to the event partway through.

-Fate was the original Icon for HHN 21 instead of Lady Luck. Fate was also scrapped in 2005. The tagline would have been "Don't tempt fate".

-In Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate, there was a ghost on a bed where an effect would kick in that was intensified due to feedback partway into the event. Also in the house, there was a rig where a ghost flew over guests that was scrapped due to problems with the rig.

-For HHN 22, due to construction two houses were scrapped before House of Horrors was added as a last minute substitution. Details in the permit for one house said "spike room" and "creature pit". The supposed themes were Mayan and Twins, although some say Chupacabra. Rumor has it that some of the masks for the Beasts Legion came from one of the scrapped houses.

-In Penn & Teller Newk'd Las Vegas Penn and Teller heavily hinted at making cameo appearances in the finale room on select night, but there have been no reports of such sightings.

-American Werewolf in London was intended to be a house two different years prior, before finally making it to HHN 23

-The Shadows of the Past scarezone was added to HHN 19 as a preview to HHN 20 towards the end of the event.

-In HHN 22, two legions were added after the event started: Zombies and Trick-or-Treaters

-In HHN 22, the bunny slipper walker was added to the facade of TWD house partway through the event.

-For HHN 15 Tales of Terror, Terra Queen was the original Icon. It was later changed to be The Storyteller.

-In HHN 21, the Grim Reaper/Death Scaractors in Winters Night had black fabric over their face and held airguns that were intended to blow the fabric up, revealing their skull faces, but eventually they gave up on that effect and just used the air guns to shoot at people for scares and kept the fabric up at all times.

I'll add some more as I think of them...

Edited by kiwisoup

Zombies and Trick or treater legions were always at HHN 22 from the first night (and with the games prior to the first night). They added that weird group with the clear masks about third week.

You also have the Chupacabbra house that was being built in 44 when it got tore down to build TF last year.

• Like 1

The "Red Room" from Screamhouse in 2002 was nixed the third week of the event because the "optional" layout of area was confusing far too many guests.

The original "White Rabbit" in Scary Tales 2 (which was a standard "rabbit" furry covered in blood, not the Fearster Bunny or Asylum in Wonderland White Rabbit), was removed because he was getting punched, on average, once per set.

Darkness is a dropped icon.

• Like 1

Guest kiwisoup

Zombies and Trick or treater legions were always at HHN 22 from the first night (and with the games prior to the first night). They added that weird group with the clear masks about third week.

You also have the Chupacabbra house that was being built in 44 when it got tore down to build TF last year.

Yeah I found multiple articles about two groups added after and that's what they called them. I wasn't sure because what I thought of as the Trick or Treaters were Traditionals. The zombies were different than the walkers which were stationary and these zombies moved faster supposedly, and then the clear faced actors. But this was after I attended the event so I can't speak from personal experience.

Anyways, here's a vid of the two groups:

Edited by kiwisoup

Guest kiwisoup

Penn and Teller made a couple visits to their house. There's pictures of them on here.

I know there were videos and pictures of them in their house prior to the event, but I have yet to hear about them being in the house during the event with people going through it.

If you're talking about "walkers", yes, they were at the event the entire time

However, the "zombies" (faster paced) and trick or treaters were added halfway through as he said

• Like 2

If you're talking about "walkers", yes, they were at the event the entire time

However, the "zombies" (faster paced) and trick or treaters were added halfway through as he said

Umm no, the trick or treaters had been there from opening weekend. A quick google search would have led you to the inside the magic review of opening weekend which talks about them. If I'm wrong I guess Ricky met Doc Brown and used his Delorean to go back in time to change his review that was posted on September 24th 2012 which was not halfway through the event. It is also not an update to the article considering all updates are dated.

Umm no, the trick or treaters had been there from opening weekend. A quick google search would have led you to the inside the magic review of opening weekend which talks about them. If I'm wrong I guess Ricky met Doc Brown and used his Delorean to go back in time to change his review that was posted on September 24th 2012 which was not halfway through the event. It is also not an update to the article considering all updates are dated.

I hope Ricky got a picture with Doc...

That inside the magic review (I'm assuming this one is the one you're referencing, http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/09/halloween-horror-nights-2012-house-by-house-review-and-tips-as-universal-orlando-originality-wins-over-featured-franchises/) mentions trick or treaters when talking about THE TRADITIONALS. I understand it's an honest mistake for you to make, but headings mean everything. Now, if we want to keep the trend of using inside the magic as evidence, here is a video they posted on October 23rd titled, "New street characters in Halloween Horror Nights 2012" which was added to YouTube on October 23rd. If you care to watch the video, you'll see that "Trick-or-Treaters and Zombies" were added to the event. Well then.

Edited by Adventureisoutthere
  • Like 1

Ok I stand partially corrected, due to a heading lol. If the traditionals were not considered the trick or treaters, then I'm mistaken. Myself and many other forum members who I hung out with at the event always thought the scareactors coming up to us asking for candy would be the trick or treaters. Considering that is what trick or treaters do. We had even begun taking candy in especially for them. Personally the ones with the clear masks never once asked me for candy as the traditionals did and that is the sole reason I consider the traditionals the trick or treaters. I agree with JDW, the clear masks, to me personally we're not the trick or treaters but whatever, I don't have the time to or interest in arguing with a new member of the forum. You can call the clear masks the trick or treaters, I'll consider the traditionals the trick or treaters and we can all be one big happy group of nightmares.

I don't have the time to or interest in arguing with a new member of the forum. You can call the clear masks the trick or treaters, I'll consider the traditionals the trick or treaters and we can all be one big happy group of nightmares.

I appreciate you acknowledging the misunderstanding. I have actually been a member for as long as you have (and since the vault days as well), I just don't use the email anymore that my original name was on and I forgot my password/username combo... Oh well...

I appreciate you acknowledging the misunderstanding. I have actually been a member for as long as you have (and since the vault days as well), I just don't use the email anymore that my original name was on and I forgot my password/username combo... Oh well...

I'm not here to argue with anyone so when someone gets me on a technicality I won't argue like some would on here. It is what it is and isn't worth the time or effort. Sorry that I thought you we're a new member but it wouldn't have changed anything if you we're one of the founding members. I still have no interest in arguing with someone over something as simple as a technicality.

• 10 months later...
Guest kiwisoup

I started this thread then kinda forgot about it. I didn't realize it turned into such an argument starter. In the games and website, "traditionals" were listed but "trick-or-treaters" were not as a legion. Of course because they looked like trick-or-treaters and asked for candy people started referring to them as that. But the clear masked legions were added after the event started, so they couldn't be "traditionals" but they also were never referred to in any official way...so they could have really been called anything, but media outlets started calling them "trick-or-treaters. Then of course you had the new Zombies vs the old Walkers...so the whole thing is just confusing because they were both so similar to legions that already existed from the beginning. The fact is that the clear-masked and zombie groups were added midway through the event and I know they weren't there when I attended which was the first couple weeks of October.

• 2 weeks later...

Likely was dropped because FX and Unuversal couldn't come to an agreement on rights.

TWD and AHS, even though they have different time slots, are very much in competition with each other. If FX wanted AHS to lead advertising (like TWD has), but TWD contract already stimulated that zombies would lead, then an agreement wouldn't happen.

Without knowing the legal discussions, the why is impossible to tell.

• Like 1

Guest kiwisoup

Likely was dropped because FX and Unuversal couldn't come to an agreement on rights.

TWD and AHS, even though they have different time slots, are very much in competition with each other. If FX wanted AHS to lead advertising (like TWD has), but TWD contract already stimulated that zombies would lead, then an agreement wouldn't happen.

Without knowing the legal discussions, the why is impossible to tell.

I'm wondering if AHS has a shot next year with this year most likely being the last year of TWD...hmmmm.

I'm wondering if AHS has a shot next year with this year most likely being the last year of TWD...hmmmm.

If they go the "greatest hits" approach, this season seems the most tailor-made for an HHN house.

Of course, that probably presumes we don't get a fourth year of TWD ... if the ratings hold this season, or if the spin-off is another pop culture juggernaut, I don't know that that is a safe assumption at all.

• Like 1

Yep, the "three years only" on TWD is pretty presumptuous. Hollywood typically never did more than three years of any single IP, but this is a new frontier for Orlando. Even if TWD stays (which isn't outside the realm of possibility), AHS could still show up. There are a bunch of things that would work against it from a marketing/creative standpoint that make adapting it not so much impossible but more impractical.

It boils down to a single question, really: Do you market a house based on past seasons that have already been seen and therefore no longer have any pop culture relevance or do you spoil your upcoming season by building a house based on the actual relevant story? It's a question that, if Universal and FX can't agree on it, will never be answered.

TWD is different. It's a simple conceit that features highly recognizable generalities that, if you don't watch the show, can get a really good gist of. AHS is a narrative-heavy anthology that effectively takes disparate ideas and puts them together because of the details in the story. They're details that make for a good show when it can be dissected and discussed that the two-second glimpse you get in a haunted house doesn't really convey.

• Like 2

There are loads of cool scenes and concepts from AHS that could work in a house. There are several issues that I see, however. AHS doesn't have the same hype as TWD. I also agree that it would be hard for Universal and FX to reach a happy medium between old seasons or new ones. I still have a glimmer of hope for AHS.