The Walking Dead Street Experience

JDW

I was hoping there was a thread going about the streets because I have a lot of frustration I wanted to air out.

I've always anticipated and enjoyed the streets since the first year I attended (15). I've brought so many people with me over the years, and I've always said how cool the streets were and how they helped you get immersed in the whole HHN vibe. This year, that thrill, that wonder, that love is completely gone... crushed. I think the streets are an EPIC FAIL this year. All of us in our group had the same reaction. We found ourselves trying to hurry through to get to the next house so we didn't lose the vibe. I found the streets to be more annoying and more of a distraction than anything else.

Don't get me wrong - I will NEVER blame the actors for this. They are doing the best they can with what they were given. I had a few who tried really hard to scare me, but the problem is, zombies aren't f-ing scary. I said that when they made the announcement that the streets would be all WD, and I maintain that position now. How can you be scared of something you can kill with a decent-sized serving spoon? To further aggravate the situation, it's the ENTIRE park.. same shit over and over.

Yeah, the sets are cool - the barn and the tank.. but then you realize the only thing hiding in or around those things are more f-ing zombies.. and you're like, yeah so? Plus, it just seems so empty. I agree with the point a few people made earlier that it gets crowded, and the zombies blend in even more, and it's like nothing is really there.

Also, the music.. holy mother of god.. if I hear the WD theme one more time, I may blow my own brains out and just join the rest of the zombies walking in the same circles forever. This WD saturation is having the opposite effect on me than what I think was intended - I almost feel like I hate the show now and I've been watching it since the beginning. I'm so over it, I didn't watch the premiere this week of the new season. The idea of watching gave me a headache.

So maybe I come off dramatic, but the streets were near and dear to my heart, and I'm just PISSED.

One last mention: Bicycle "Girl" was amazing. That was the single "zombie" that really impressed the hell out of me.

• Like 2

That would be so embarrassing. Imagine doing a chainsaw scare and having it sputter out in the middle.

I've seen it happen. It's most common among amateurs or people who aren't trained quite as well. When I went to HOS in 2011, the guys with saws were simply keeping them on constantly and almost all of them sounded like they were about to die completely.

Although I didnt mind the "Street Experience" this year I will say this.... NO MORE WALKING DEAD. Its run its course at HHN.

I love the show and I have liked what HHN has done the last couple years (well maybe just this year) but its time get back to what HHN knows how to do.

Can we start a grass roots campaign for Uni to bring back the old-school scare zones and shit? PLEASE????!

• Like 3

Although I didnt mind the "Street Experience" this year I will say this.... NO MORE WALKING DEAD. Its run its course at HHN.

I love the show and I have liked what HHN has done the last couple years (well maybe just this year) but its time get back to what HHN knows how to do.

Can we start a grass roots campaign for Uni to bring back the old-school scare zones and shit? PLEASE????!

the streets mean a lot to me as well (Sometimes even more than the houses)

but sadly I really don't see how we can get the type of streets we got in the past with that stupid parade running.

but sadly I really don't see how we can get the type of streets we got in the past with that stupid parade running

The parade only limits the streets by requiring any props directly in the route to be held off to the side or backstage and shoved into position after the park is cleared before the event begins. It's also only limiting along the parade route, which would primarily limit New York and Hollywood (it would barely limit Mel's, as the props for that are usually in the large area in front of where the barn is now, rather than being placed in front of the gate). If the parade was too limiting, we wouldn't have been able to have the props we do in Clear right now.

The biggest issue with the streets is mostly that they're filling too large of a space with too few actors to properly support it.

• Like 1

The parade only limits the streets by requiring any props directly in the route to be held off to the side or backstage and shoved into position after the park is cleared before the event begins. It's also only limiting along the parade route, which would primarily limit New York and Hollywood (it would barely limit Mel's, as the props for that are usually in the large area in front of where the barn is now, rather than being placed in front of the gate). If the parade was too limiting, we wouldn't have been able to have the props we do in Clear right now.

The biggest issue with the streets is mostly that they're filling too large of a space with too few actors to properly support it.

there is something I wonder this year, How come they never do any scarezones in that road that goes from where Transformers starts all the way down to where the Bettlejuice show is, The road that faces the lagoon.

I also wonder if next year we will see any zones on the sides of Transformers. those are two other roads that have nothing going on. I can understand why Tranformers being built they couldn't think of this space. But those two roads on each side of transformers seemed like two scarezones could go there.

I also wonder how Potter will limit HHN, or if they will close that entire area during HHN or what.

there is something I wonder this year, How come they never do any scarezones in that road that goes from where Transformers starts all the way down to where the Bettlejuice show is, The road that faces the lagoon.

I also wonder if next year we will see any zones on the sides of Transformers. those are two other roads that have nothing going on. I can understand why Tranformers being built they couldn't think of this space. But those two roads on each side of transformers seemed like two scarezones could go there.

I also wonder how Potter will limit HHN, or if they will close that entire area during HHN or what.

In 2009, part of Saws n' Steam was on that lagoon-side path at the entrance to Sting Alley. The rest of it was on the New York side of the alley and inside the alley itself. Last year the Beasts did maybe one set very early in the year's run along that street while another cast took the main part of New York.

Also, Shrek Alley (the street between Transformers and Shrek) was used as late as 2011 with Nightmaze and only stopped seeing usage when SS44 was torn down to build Transformers, turning the alley into an active construction site.

I believe that since there's too much corporate controversy over using Harry Potter for HHN, they'll either keep a limited amount of that space (maybe just Gringotts) open to vacuum up some of the crowd or just close off everything that's not the waterfront path at night.

Edited by Cody
  • Like 1

The Walker Bomb bombs in front of the TF Gift Shop and in front of the Entrance nightly. Taking up the majority of that road heading down to BJ.

yeah I've seen it,

what I was wondering is why they have never done a zone in that road before. Just makes me curious because that rode from TF to Bettlejuice is so long but it is always just empty. I was wondering if that road could ever be used for a zone with props.

(I also remember seeing a house ending there in 07)

Edited by LV-426

yeah I've seen it,

what I was wondering is why they have never done a zone in that road before. Just makes me curious because that rode from TF to Bettlejuice is so long but it is always just empty. I was wondering if that road could ever be used for a zone with props.

(I also remember seeing a house ending there in 07)

Yeah, Vampyr: Blood Bath exited out of what is now the side Starbucks entrance.

• Like 1

I believe that since there's too much corporate controversy over using Harry Potter for HHN, they'll either keep a limited amount of that space (maybe just Gringotts) open to vacuum up some of the crowd or just close off everything that's not the waterfront path at night.

What's the controversy about? It seems like a perfect fit to me. They could even do a HP themed scarezone or house. Plenty of material: dementors, giant spiders, ogres, ghosts, thestrals (the freaky invisible horses), etc. You could even use the centaurs and house elves for some scares.

• Like 1

What's the controversy about? It seems like a perfect fit to me. They could even do a HP themed scarezone or house. Plenty of material: dementors, giant spiders, ogres, ghosts, thestrals (the freaky invisible horses), etc. You could even use the centaurs and house elves for some scares.

For Harry Potter, I would be fine with just having Death Eaters roaming around. That's it. They don't even need to scare people. They can just walk around and look at you and that would be enough for me.

Why do I say this? because the controversy probably deals with how they don't want Harry Potter to scare kids or something... Wasn't that the same problem with the Potter Ride? and the fact that they had to hide some of the Dementors? ( I know HHN is not meant for kids.... but you know...)

I do not think they would have anything scary over the Potter part of the park, And I can even understand. But It would be amazing Just to see Death Eaters walking around with their masks. Honestly that would be enough for me to be happy for next year.

But who knows. They might not even have it open during HHN which would Definitely suck big time.

Because this could be a big people eater. It could even help with the long lines we saw this year...... I really hope they at least have Potter open during HHN even if it has nothing related to halloween.

Edited by LV-426

For Harry Potter, I would be fine with just having Death Eaters roaming around. That's it. They don't even need to scare people. They can just walk around and look at you and that would be enough for me.

That would be cool. You could also use a wire effect to have them flying around overhead.

I can see the issue with the ride. Kids are going to want to ride it because of the books and movies and some might not be able to handle too much scary stuff. But for HHN, everyone should know what they're getting into. Of course you would focus on the dark parts of the story, that's what HHN does.

I can't imagine them not having the new ride open. They always have their newest rides running during HHN.

• Like 1

I can see the issue with the ride. Kids are going to want to ride it because of the books and movies and some might not be able to handle too much scary stuff. But for HHN, everyone should know what they're getting into. Of course you would focus on the dark parts of the story, that's what HHN does.

Well yeah during HHN it Should be dark, but WB is weird, they might still say no. It would be a dream to have some kind of zone in this area. with darker music playing over the whole thing... I would probably spend most of my time here if that was the case...

well yeah But what If they want to keep this part for Islands and for people traveling back and forth while HHN is going on? I mean since HHN is a separate event, wouldn't they have to stop the train at 6? or just close the Potter area for Islands until that park closes..... I dont know

well yeah But what If they want to keep this part for Islands and for people traveling back and forth while HHN is going on? I mean since HHN is a separate event, wouldn't they have to stop the train at 6? or just close the Potter area for Islands until that park closes..... I dont know

I imagine that if the train remained open it would work pretty much the same as it will during the day. During the day, you will need a park-to-park ticket to ride the train to the other park. During HHN, you would need a valid IoA ticket to ride one way and a valid HHN ticket to ride the other way.

My guess is that during HHN, the train ride will close to avoid the logistical issues of having yet another entrance into the park. I would expect the Gringotts coaster to be open.

• Like 1

I imagine that if the train remained open it would work pretty much the same as it will during the day. During the day, you will need a park-to-park ticket to ride the train to the other park. During HHN, you would need a valid IoA ticket to ride one way and a valid HHN ticket to ride the other way.

My guess is that during HHN, the train ride will close to avoid the logistical issues of having yet another entrance into the park. I would expect the Gringotts coaster to be open.

This is the rumor I heard.

don't get me wrong... I am Praying here that this is the case... Not having that new ride open will suck so badly... I won't even visit that ride for a very long time unless it is at HHN, it will probably be years after it opens if I do.... so I am really hoping they open it.

And If they do what you said, I would be so glad.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it about 2-3 years until they finally opened up Rockit during HHN?

In 2009 it opened very late around September and they kept it closed during HHN since it had so many breakdowns and horrible capacity. It was closed for "maintenance" during entire fall of 2010 so it was out that year. I finally rode it during 2011 HHN were it still had really bad capacity.

To be fair Transformers closed an hour early for nightly maintenance during HHN so I'd expect the same or more for Gringotts.

I really think Islands would be the best venue since it doesn't have a parade, a night time show or brand new attractions that will attract tons of crowds.

A good way to have the Potter areas in HHN would be to just loop the soundtrack to Prisoner of Azkaban, which is already kind of fits well with the event since it's generally spooky but won't confuse kids that there's a special Potter event happening at Horror Nights.

I think people are being pretty hard on Universal for the music.

Like most TV shows the tracks are pretty short (around a minute) and are more atmospheric than memorable. So the main theme will stand out against the tracks that they were provided. And people expect to here it as much as Hedwig's Theme at the Wizarding World.

They did play the Roque Bancos' score from Evil Dead but while we were expecting to hear a lot of air sirens, those actually only take up a few seconds of tracks that are 5-7 minutes long.

Anything is better than listening to the Shutter Island music while watching construction workers build Transformers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mark M. changed the title to The Walking Dead Street Experience