The Walking Dead Street Experience

JDW

Serious question:

Everyone realizes we most likely won't see any major street construction until after RTU, right?

Everyone has heard about the barn and the tank, right?

We have seen platforms and possible tether poles that seem to suggest "barkers". Which would mean survivors. Walkers can't be "barkers".

The Clear (I haven't seen season 3) appears to be different than woods or cars or buildings. The pictures I've seen seem Rat Run like.

I cannot fathom why people have already decided the streets are going to be bad, boring, worthless, useless, uncreative....

Is it just animosity due to it being an IP?

I'm going to give the streets a chance. There will be big pretty scenic sets (something I see no need for, personal preference). The streets will have a cohesive feel and theme. And we should see some form of interactions with some scareactors.

• Like 5

Serious question:

Everyone realizes we most likely won't see any major street construction until after RTU, right?

We have seen platforms and possible tether poles that seem to suggest "barkers". Which would mean survivors. Walkers can't be "barkers".

The Clear (I haven't seen season 3) appears to be different than woods or cars or buildings. The pictures I've seen seem Rat Run like.

I cannot fathom why people have already decided the streets are going to be bad, boring, worthless, useless, uncreative....

I'm going to give the streets a chance. There will be big pretty scenic sets (something I see no need for, personal preference). The streets will have a cohesive feel and theme. And we should see some form of interactions with some scareactors.

who else is trashing the streets? (bad, boring, worthless, useless, uncreative) sounds pretty negative. are you talking about facebook?

I haven't heard any of this yet. Is it people trashing the streets in the HHN facebook page?

who else is trashing the streets? (bad, boring, worthless, useless, uncreative) sounds pretty negative. are you talking about facebook?

I haven't heard any of this yet. Is it people trashing the streets in the HHN facebook page?

Honestly, this thread is 90% trashing and assumptions. But of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

• Like 2

I for one am STOKED for the street experiences and the event itself. I dont bash HHN unless i go 3876383 times a year and it officially sucks. But i've been going since 2004, and assuming gets you no where, cuz as usual, Universal has YET to disappoint me. (and i doubt they ever will, just cuz hhn is that freaking awesome, haha)

\m/

• Like 1

Looking solid so far! Not suprirsed to see a lot of the props from the house last year in the streets, but I still hope the characters show up out here even with things like Daryls crossbow and Ricks bag of shotguns laying around the park. I know survivors are planned, but now that Universal has the rights, they should not just be generic. I guess we'll see because that question has never been answered.

Other then that, man they better go the Hollywood route and use makeup this year and not masks for the walkers.

Looking solid so far! Not suprirsed to see a lot of the props from the house last year in the streets, but I still hope the characters show up out here even with things like Daryls crossbow and Ricks bag of shotguns laying around the park. I know survivors are planned, but now that Universal has the rights, they should not just be generic. I guess we'll see because that question has never been answered.

Other then that, man they better go the Hollywood route and use makeup this year and not masks for the walkers.

Mike Aiello confirmed via twitter that it will be a mix of masks and prosthetics.

Logistically prosthetics are time cosuming... So only hero scare actors (meaning the ones that are showcased) would likely be prosthetics. But with 4 casts and up to 75 people a cast? (from rumors I've heard) you are going to see a lot more masks/makeup... Actually I don't really understand why they have moved from makeup to masks.

Sure it's more cost effective and easy to slop on a generic mask. But some of the body paints were freaking amazing. The masks are pretty much meh unless the are really fantastical.

For example the woods looks to be a huge photo op area. So I expect more iconinc zombies.

Atlanta is about the hodre... so masks aplenty.

I figure each area has a focal point and by proxy may have a hero zombie or two. The rest will likely be "b" zombies.

Serious question:

I think it's a mix of animosity towards an increasingly more IP styled event, and the fact that the Waking Dead is so popular that complaining about how much you hate it is currently the "cool" contrarian/rebellious thing to do. I think we should all be happy that dramatic horror shows such as TWD and American Horror Story are such big hits because that only means that more shows in the horror genre are going to get made.

I also look forward to a cohesive theme that gets carried across the whole park. The zombie hordes that took over Busch Gardens a few years back were a lot of fun and they were really creative with giving each horde its own identity (classic zombie, radioactive zombie, zombie clowns, etc). While those types would be too campy and wouldn't work with the Walking Dead, I'm sure they have plenty of creative ideas to give each area its own personality.

I've been debating this one a lot and I just want to repeat the sentiments that others have - this could be really good IF (and only if) the scareactors are allowed to be much more intense than they were last year. I've viewed some more videos from last year and thought about my two nights in the park, and I have to say the zombies were the most forgettable (and that's putting it nicely).

However, this could be strong because of the cohesiveness and strong theming - making it more immersive. Honestly, looking back, it just wasn't that immersive seeing a civil war vampire and then a few minutes later seeing a female prisoner with a chainsaw. It just seemed TOO random.

Also, I REALLY hope there is a liberal use of survivors. I went to XXI and XXII and don't recall seeing any survivors in scarezones. If there is a good attempt at acting and creating a scene in the scarezones this year (rather than just baddies walking around), I'll be dang happy.

Logistically prosthetics are time cosuming... So only hero scare actors (meaning the ones that are showcased) would likely be prosthetics. But with 4 casts and up to 75 people a cast? (from rumors I've heard) you are going to see a lot more masks/makeup... Actually I don't really understand why they have moved from makeup to masks.

Sure it's more cost effective and easy to slop on a generic mask. But some of the body paints were freaking amazing. The masks are pretty much meh unless the are really fantastical.

For example the woods looks to be a huge photo op area. So I expect more iconinc zombies.

Atlanta is about the hodre... so masks aplenty.

I figure each area has a focal point and by proxy may have a hero zombie or two. The rest will likely be "b" zombies.

Right I understand, that definitely makes sense. But I would hope for a lot more makeup then, over masks. That's what Hollywood got last year and looks to be gettting this year. What I don't understand is why it's so much more time consuming for Orlando to do this. Even simple makeup liooked better then those masks. The parade shouldn't make a difference so I don't get it. if it has to be masks, I hope they aren't as noticable as last year and much better (even though I can see that they'll probably reuse the same ones)

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that Hollywood hires more make-up artists than Orlando. A big reason is likely funding, or it could be talent pool. A lot of Hollywood performers, additionally, do HHN for their resumes, not just because they want to do it. The make-up, and pictures of them in make-up, are a benefit and draw to them.

Orlando, conversely, is a more "by-the-numbers," event at this point, where interchangeability is a higher prioity. People quit after their first set, and cast members are replaced constantly. When proper prosthetics have to be pre-made to an individual, it makes it impossible to effectively do that with the type of turn-around Orlando gets. Also, consider that each house or scarezone in Orlando typically gets one make-up artist. If it's prostethics or make-up heavy, they'll get two or three. I've rarely seen more than four make-up artists to a single tent make-up tent (though I'm sure the soundstages will get two tents worth of artists because of their proximity, I've never been back there during a multi-SS house event).

And they also don't want to pay people for two hours of make-up...

• Like 1

Guest kiwisoup

Right I understand, that definitely makes sense. But I would hope for a lot more makeup then, over masks. That's what Hollywood got last year and looks to be gettting this year. What I don't understand is why it's so much more time consuming for Orlando to do this. Even simple makeup liooked better then those masks. The parade shouldn't make a difference so I don't get it. if it has to be masks, I hope they aren't as noticable as last year and much better (even though I can see that they'll probably reuse the same ones)

Makeup takes more time than people think. In all the BTS videos I've seen from movies and shows and the like, even what I think is fairly simple makeup takes over an hour. The less time you take, the crappier the makeup job will be and then you add to the fact that just one cast has like 75 people and there are other casts that need makeup too plus people in the street experiences and you'd either need a huge amount of time to do the makeup or a huge team of people to do the makeup or have the actors do the makeup themselves. Also, this is something they have to do multiple night too...It's just not time or cost effective to do all makeup. I honestly don't think the masks they used last year were THAT bad. They could have been SOOOO much worse. But, with that said, I do hope they do a good mix at the least.

Edited by kiwisoup

I understand the need for the masks. But they were very shoddy last year. They didn't even take the time to blend them in. At least blend the skin color that takes like 10 min. Yes it's time consuming, yes it requitres more artists but there are plenty out there who need work. We also can't forget the amount of makeup they've done in the past. I'm not expecting all of the zombies to be makeup.but geeze it isn't like they can't pull it off... It boils down to being cheap.

still I would prefer the houses to look top notch and not suffer than to have a bunch of good lookig zombies in the streets.

• Like 3

I understand the need for the masks. But they were very shoddy last year. They didn't even take the time to blend them in. At least blend the skin color that takes like 10 min. Yes it's time consuming, yes it requitres more artists but there are plenty out there who need work. We also can't forget the amount of makeup they've done in the past. I'm not expecting all of the zombies to be makeup.but geeze it isn't like they can't pull it off... It boils down to being cheap.

still I would prefer the houses to look top notch and not suffer than to have a bunch of good lookig zombies in the streets.

Yeah the masks last year were terrible imo.

The worst was when you had a scareactor wearing a zombie mask that was an entirely different race haha. For example, black actor with a white zombie mask just looks strange, and not in a good way (more so in a cheap way).

There was zero blending happening with the zombie masks last year (at least in the street), and seeing protruding edges on an already halloween store quality mask really sucks you out of the immersion factor that the event is supposed to be delivering. I mean, Uni is a movie studio, would they let an actor walk out on a movie set looking like that?

If they don't want to take a few minutes to blend a mask in with the actor, then make full head/neck masks and hide the edges in the clothing.

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that Hollywood hires more make-up artists than Orlando. A big reason is likely funding, or it could be talent pool. A lot of Hollywood performers, additionally, do HHN for their resumes, not just because they want to do it. The make-up, and pictures of them in make-up, are a benefit and draw to them.

Orlando, conversely, is a more "by-the-numbers," event at this point, where interchangeability is a higher prioity. People quit after their first set, and cast members are replaced constantly. When proper prosthetics have to be pre-made to an individual, it makes it impossible to effectively do that with the type of turn-around Orlando gets. Also, consider that each house or scarezone in Orlando typically gets one make-up artist. If it's prostethics or make-up heavy, they'll get two or three. I've rarely seen more than four make-up artists to a single tent make-up tent (though I'm sure the soundstages will get two tents worth of artists because of their proximity, I've never been back there during a multi-SS house event).

And they also don't want to pay people for two hours of make-up...

Thanks for clarifying and that seems about right with how many artists are trying to make it in Hollywood. Still it seems like this event makes more then enough money to hire more people or get the existing ones to stay to do makeup. Simple zombie makeup can not be that hard, even most of the stuff you can buy from Halloween Stores would look more effective then those rubber masks like last year. I understand the massive cast, but the immersion factor is gone if the scareactors look cheap. And with so much of this event being surrounded with TWD and it being Universal, makes it even worse. Even if cast members quit, turning someone into a zombie is one of the simipliest things to pull off makeup wise. That's why it's such a common costume choice to go as on Halloween, and it's usually really cheap.

Those masks are what so many people complained about in TWD house last year so I really hope Universal listened. Maybe AMC wouldn't allow it and demanded they use the masks but who knows. I agree with everyone else that if it has to be masks at least blend them in, you shoudn't be able to see the ends of the masks above scareactors shirts.

I also agree about the house designs. All promo shots look way more detailed then last year.

Edited by somebody85

This is a facade in central park of a dead deer hunted by Daryl, hmm... wonder if Daryl will be walking around here...

2wcjp8w.png

The sheriff bag from the Walking Dead house LAST year but now sitting by the RV.

pho1to_zps69e4195d.jpgThe famous RV

1photo_zps40fefa46.jpg

and last a Car in the Scarezone "Clear"

Edited by Daryl

No Daryl, will not be walking around in the streets. Clear is in Hollywood and not San Fransisco. And I dunno man, but I'd delete the picture of the deer from off here. It's covered for the intention of people to not take photos of it.

Oh, and there's no Rat Lady this year.

Edited by The_Bled
  • Like 1