The Walking Dead Street Experience

JDW

For the first time ever, we’re dedicating the entire HHN street experience to AMC’s The Walking Dead. Around every corner you will encounter iconic scenes from all 3 seasons of the show, while trying to avoid blood-thirsty walkers.

the thing I don't get about this is that, If Walking Dead makes so much money, Why not just replace an old ride with a Walking Dead ride?

Seriously, Why not just replace Twister with a Walking Dead show? replace the Twister ride with walkers. Doesn't even need to be gory or anything. Just have walkers in there and make the place look like it does on the show.

Or replace the Beetlejuice show with something Walking Dead Related. I don't mean a show but do something else. Seems like Walking Dead is such a big money maker, I don't understand why they don't just make it a permanent attraction in the park.

As for the streets. I am interested. I want to see what they do, but I am not happy or excited. I am just curious how bad this is going to turn out. (Or how good, maybe it is the best streets Universal has had in years. maybe)

It depends on what set pieces they use and how the zones would be made.
It sure is going to be something new.... I seriously cannot even imagine how it is going to look like.

• Like 2

I am very very disappointed that we'll have only 1 theme for the street experiences. I was hoping that they wouldn't have a street experience-only year and have scarezones back, but even if it was only street experiences I'd be okay if they were good. That's not to say The Walking Dead isn't going to be good, but as someone who doesn't watch the show, it's just not a theme I'm very excited for. I want to see a variety of unique themes, not a variety of scenes within the theme of a show I don't watch.

This decision isn't bad enough for me to not attend the event at all this year, but I'm definitely unsatisfied. I trust they'll do their best with The Walking Dead concept to get some good scares on me.

• Like 3

I like the show. I love the human characters. I love Rick, I love Daryl.
but, while i love the show I don't think Walking Dead is a very good IP to based the event on. It's just like the same argument about Cabin in the Woods being a crappy movie.
the movie might be crappy for a lot of people, but the house might be really good because the concept for the movie will work well for HHN. But with Walking Dead is like it is the opposite of that.

This just breaks my heart. What a sellout. At least last year we had the legions which were actually pretty awesome. I can understand the house, but dedicating the streets to it? Pure overkill. Marketing really is killing this event... since when did HHN was now a Walking Dead extravaganza? I hope they at least keep the chainsaw drill team around.

• Like 1

I like the show. I love the human characters. I love Rick, I love Daryl.

but, while i love the show I don't think Walking Dead is a very good IP to based the event on. It's just like the same argument about Cabin in the Woods being a crappy movie.

the movie might be crappy for a lot of people, but the house might be really good because the concept for the movie will work well for HHN. But with Walking Dead is like it is the opposite of that.

This is exactly how I feel about the announcement (although I actually enjoyed Cabin in the Woods, personally.) The walkers are *not* what makes The Walking Dead a good show. They're window dressing. What makes the show worth watching is the characters - their drama, their conflicts, and the choices and sacrifices they have to make to survive. The Walking Dead isn't a Zombie show in my opinion, it's a survival drama that just happens to be set in the zombie apocalypse.

At HHN, on the other hand... The Walking Dead haunted houses (and now, an entire street experience, even) are entire attractions based around the single most superficial detail of the entire show. It doesn't carry any of what actually makes the show as successful as it has been; it's just Scareactors in zombie masks, with set piece and prop references scattered around to say, "hey guys, look, it's The Walking Dead, see?"

I'm really disappointed. Did the executives really feel that the TWD maze was successful enough to warrant not only a sequel maze, but devoting the entire street experience to it? I didn't think the TWD street zone got good reviews at all last year.

• Like 4

This is exactly how I feel about the announcement (although I actually enjoyed Cabin in the Woods, personally.) The walkers are *not* what makes The Walking Dead a good show. They're window dressing. What makes the show worth watching is the characters - their drama, their conflicts, and the choices and sacrifices they have to make to survive. The Walking Dead isn't a Zombie show in my opinion, it's a survival drama that just happens to be set in the zombie apocalypse.

At HHN, on the other hand... The Walking Dead haunted houses (and now, an entire street experience, even) are entire attractions based around the single most superficial detail of the entire show. It doesn't carry any of what actually makes the show as successful as it has been; it's just Scareactors in zombie masks, with set piece and prop references scattered around to say, "hey guys, look, it's The Walking Dead, see?"

I'm really disappointed. Did the executives really feel that the TWD maze was successful enough to warrant not only a sequel maze, but devoting the entire street experience to it? I didn't think the TWD street zone got good reviews at all last year.

I wouldn't even have so much problem with it if they let the actors be scary. If they let the actors act like they want to eat you. But if this is going to be anything like last year we are just going to have actors just walking around. That's pretty much what I am afraid of for this year's streets. That they won't let them be aggresive.

Walking Dead is my favorite show so I may be in the minority here, but I am pumped as hell for the streets. If I wasn't a fan if the show, I could see not being happy with this. You wouldn't understand the scenes that are being portrayed. I really feel, if done right, the streets could be awesome.

• Like 3

I wouldn't even have so much problem with it if they let the actors be scary. If they let the actors act like they want to eat you. But if this is going to be anything like last year we are just going to have actors just walking around. That's pretty much what I am afraid of for this year's streets. That they won't let them be aggresive.

I was Fire Crew again last year and worked that street a couple of times. I studiously avoided it, afterwards. The Walkers on the streets were *directed*, quite specifically, that they were only allowed to be so aggressive; we weren't even allowed to reach in front of guests for a startle scare, it was explicitly forbidden.

Between that and the masks, which, let's face it, were pretty laughable, the Walkers really had to work for their scares. Mucho respect to the Scareactors who dealt with it every night.

Edited by FullMetalBoxers
  • Like 1

I was Fire Crew again last year and worked that street a couple of times. I studiously avoided it, afterwards. The Walkers on the streets were *directed*, quite specifically, that they were only allowed to be so aggressive; we weren't even allowed to reach in front of guests for a startle scare, it was explicitly forbidden.

Between that and the masks, which, let's face it, were pretty laughable, the Walkers really had to work for their scares. Mucho respect to the Scareactors who dealt with it every night.

yeah I remember reading that last year (in here I think) which didn't really made sense to me

I would really love to know the reason they did that. I would really like to know why they would tell actors to Not act like Zombies, in a zombie scarezone that was made from a zombie tb show. It makes me really curious because the zombies in the show do act aggresively.

It's a liability issue, plain and simple. All it takes is one guest going to Guest Services and complaining that the zombie reached too close to their face, and boom, that scare tactic is now forbidden for the rest of the season.

If you think that's bad, you should have seen the restrictions the Dragon Warriors had on their polearm-sword things. Forget using them to scare... they weren't even allowed to do *anything* with them except hold them vertical with the (completely dull) blade pointed upwards, and twist side to make noise with the little drums attached to the handle. I understand the importance of safety, but the end result just looked silly.

• Like 1

I have faith in A&D. I have faith in our performers. I don't have faith in AMC and their restrictions, based on last year, and that is my only genuine concern, albeit it's a biggie. Many is the time that my least anticipated house or street ended up being my favorite. Mike Aiello, for whom I have great respect and affection, has made some excellent FB posts responding to the disappointment that has been expressed, and that perks up my own personal hopes. I will absolutely go, and go with the belief that those who create and deliver the scares > IP-holder neuter nutters. If I am disappointed, I will not hesitate to (hopefully constructively) express my disappointment. And if I am pleased and delighted, I will most assuredly shout it from the mountaintops. Or something. For those on here, and out there, that have it within their power to bring it? Bring it ON! And now I will go lie back down.

• Like 4

I love walking dead and have watched all the episodes. Last years house was meh. I expected some survivors seeing as that is what the show is about. So now we have this street experience and I'm indifferent about it. It could be good, it could be bad. It is hard to tell which way it will go til opening weekend or Employee preview.

Edited by Doctor Cogstein
  • Like 1

The only real problem I see is that it's a very polarized decision by Universal. You are either a fan of the show, or you are not. If you are a fan of the show, like me, then this is pretty good news because how great will it be to walk through some of the sets from the show. If you are not a fan, then you really don't have a second street choice, as far as we know, and I can see how that would be a negative. Not a deal breaker I hope, but still a negative.

I will say that I am excited that they are going to stick to one major theme this year, even though zombies don't really invoke fear in me, but if done anything like Sweet 16 Deadtropolis, then I think the experience and overall mood will make up for lumbering zombies. I can remember being amazed by the helicopter sound overhead and the overall feel of that scare zone. So as long as they immerse us in what it would feel like to be overtaken by zombie hoards, then I'm all for it.

I think last years street experience just really felt chaotic and didn't have much rhyme or reason to it. I did, however, love the feeling that there was no safe zones in the park which led to me always looking around instead of relaxing between the traditional scare zones. If this feeling can be taken to even a higher level by adding familiar scenes from the show, then I really am looking forward to it. I'm just hoping they fill the streets with zombies to give you the true feeling that the park has been taken over.

• Like 1

The only real problem I see is that it's a very polarized decision by Universal. You are either a fan of the show, or you are not. If you are a fan of the show, like me, then this is pretty good news because how great will it be to walk through some of the sets from the show. If you are not a fan, then you really don't have a second street choice, as far as we know, and I can see how that would be a negative. Not a deal breaker I hope, but still a negative.

I will say that I am excited that they are going to stick to one major theme this year, even though zombies don't really invoke fear in me, but if done anything like Sweet 16 Deadtropolis, then I think the experience and overall mood will make up for lumbering zombies. I can remember being amazed by the helicopter sound overhead and the overall feel of that scare zone. So as long as they immerse us in what it would feel like to be overtaken by zombie hoards, then I'm all for it.

I think last years street experience just really felt chaotic and didn't have much rhyme or reason to it. I did, however, love the feeling that there was no safe zones in the park which led to me always looking around instead of relaxing between the traditional scare zones. If this feeling can be taken to even a higher level by adding familiar scenes from the show, then I really am looking forward to it. I'm just hoping they fill the streets with zombies to give you the true feeling that the park has been taken over.

I love the show but I hated the house. The house was the worst house for me last year. I don't know, It just didn't feel great to walk in the same "scenes" as the show without any of the human characters.

I think a problem the house had was the location as well. I think it could have been better on a soundstage so that might be better this year.

Another thing that might be better this year is that the Barn can be better. If they build the Barn and have a lot of walkers in the street, that might be really cool to see.

They say they are going to recreate scenes from the 3 seasons but it makes me wonder, What are they going to do? We know they might get a tank and the barn, but what else?

What are other scenes from the show they can do in the streets? (instead of indoor scenes that were done in the house last year)

Edited by LV-426

I agree with what most are saying about having some humans. It really bugged me that the Walking Dead last year was all zombies with none of the human survivors, you know, as in the basis of the entire show! In fact I seem to remember there weren't even any recognizable zombies like the "well walker" until a few weeks into the event. Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes last year and give us the Walking Dead Experience we were all hoping for last year. But I must say, if they don't have a Governor or Rick somewhere in the park I'm going to be more then a little disappointed.

• Like 1

I'm ecstatic about the TWD house, but this as a street experience... I am disappointed. It just seems kind of overkill, in my opinion.

They say they are going to recreate scenes from the 3 seasons but it makes me wonder, What are they going to do? We know they might get a tank and the barn, but what else?

What are other scenes from the show they can do in the streets? (instead of indoor scenes that were done in the house last year)

There's plenty to work with. The original camp (they have the RV already), Morgan's zombie traps from season 3, the downed helicopter (I think it was confirmed Hollywood was getting this), any kind of forest scene can be done in Central Park, the gas station from the pilot, etc.

I'm hoping that the barn is like the Skoolhouse where you can walk into it.

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

I agree with what most are saying about having some humans. It really bugged me that the Walking Dead last year was all zombies with none of the human survivors, you know, as in the basis of the entire show! In fact I seem to remember there weren't even any recognizable zombies like the "well walker" until a few weeks into the event. Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes last year and give us the Walking Dead Experience we were all hoping for last year. But I must say, if they don't have a Governor or Rick somewhere in the park I'm going to be more then a little disappointed.

Or, like someone said in the speculation thread. At least have survivors. Even if they are not from the show. At least have actors playing humans figthing against the zombies.

It would be cool if they had actors on top of roofs with guns pointing at the zombies, or something like that. It would be nice if they had human survivors with guns on top of a tower or something. or on top of a car.

I just want to see actors with fake guns on top of things lol.

• Like 3

There's plenty to work with. The original camp (they have the RV already), Morgan's zombie traps from season 3, the downed helicopter (I think it was confirmed Hollywood was getting this), any kind of forest scene can be done in Central Park, the gas station from the pilot, etc.

I'm hoping that the barn is like the Skoolhouse where you can walk into it.

Hmm camp yes I see Hmm

The barn = The school = bueno

• Like 3

• Mark M. changed the title to The Walking Dead Street Experience