Evil Dead

JDW

Well, we had RUN: Hostile Territory in 06, which was a gore house pretty much. I didn't get to experience it so I don't know how gory it was, but it's concept was basically a knock off of the movie Hostel but with Eddie in there.

Movies use a lot of implied gore. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre had very little blood in it, but because of the theme it is remembered as a gory movie. The same might be happening with Saws and Steam.

Yeah, Saws and Steam didn't have that much. The only houses that I remember having some decent gore are Body Collectors and Scary Tales.. But even then they weren't that bloody. I certainly hope this house can at least get this one thing right, because lets be honest, it's the only thing that it has going for it. We also have Cabin in the Woods which is basically the same thing but with more concept to enjoy. I can see this house being easily overshadowed by CitW.

I think he was in reference to the original in 2005. If the house itself wasn't enough the queue video was disgusting. :P

Actually, come to think of it, that was the last year I really remember being grossed out.

But there actually is quite a bit of blood most in houses all over the place.

I'm always shocked that people say there isn't any gore. I sometimes wonder what people are looking for? Just blood on every wall while tripping over bowels? I'm not a fan of over the top gore. Sure there are a few places that would require it... Oddly enough they've picked two houses that pretty much have at least one gore scene that is pivotal. But there is a lot more to horror/houses than gore. For me, a movie or house that implies things frightens me far more. Once I see anything it takes the fear out of it (incidentally BWP freaked me out BECAUSE I was left to my own devices to imagine what was going on off camera).

In recent years with gory IP houses, HHN in Orlando has never matched what they do with the same IP mazes in Hollywood. Take a look at our Friday the 13th and Saw houses in comparison to their mazes for example.

I hope this will NOT the the same case again this year.

• Like 1

I was referring to the 05 BC house. 08 BC does have some decent gore as well.. I think my gripe with the whole blood and guts is that we've gotten movie houses that are basically known for the blood and guts, and then there wasn't much of it... I expect over the top gore for houses that are based on movies with over the top gore. Saw, for instance... Take a look at Hollywood. That's what I was expecting, not what we got here in Orlando. I don't see the point of doing houses based on movies that are known for their gore but then don't live up to the gore aspect.

If they don't have the balls to do Evil Dead the right way, they should just ditch it and do a house called Demons in the Cabin.

• Like 2

This house has potential but like others have said, A&D really has to bring the gore. I read in a few press releases that they were planning on it..like they mentioned the challenge of recreating the girl cutting her arm off every 30 seconds. I guess we'll see how it comes together.

I also agree in the lack of locations being a problem but think this can be pulled off if they get the atmosphere right. Hope the deadite makeup is good and the blood rain scene is really cool. Also hope we see Mia peeking from the closed door of the celler taunting you along with the tree rape scene using a scareactor (or prop).

Not sure how they will transition this as the movie reguraly switches between the cabin and the woods, but think we'll see iconic scenes from both.

One thing they better use is the score with the air raid. That was a major part of the movie and this house wouldn't be the same without it.

Edited by somebody85

• 2 weeks later...

One thing they better use is the score with the air raid. That was a major part of the movie and this house wouldn't be the same without it.

This is such a lock to play at the main entrance area when you walk into the park.

• Like 1

The decision to make this house based all around the 2013 Evil Dead is just baffling to me. I'd never seen any of the series prior to last night, but the originals have a huge cult following. The new one is...relevant (I suppose?) because it just came out. But what else can you really say about it? I gave it a whirl last night, and my expectations for this house went way down. It barely even attempts to scare or create any tension...it's about cramming as much gore as possible into 90 minutes.

Considering we already have Cabin in the Woods right next door (or in the same soundstage? I forget.) what exactly will this bring to the table that makes it worth its own house? We will get largely the same sets in both, except Cabin in the Woods can offer a finale in the underground facility and a wider variety of characters.

I've never really appreciated Universal's need to take a mediocre movie that's come out in the last year and recreate it in play by play format. If the movie wasn't very well received, what's the draw? If there was at least an even mix, they could please the cult following and the people who had seen the more recent version...so isn't this clearly the better route?

Oh well. Guess all we can do is hope for the best.

The decision to make this house based all around the 2013 Evil Dead is just baffling to me. I'd never seen any of the series prior to last night, but the originals have a huge cult following. The new one is...relevant (I suppose?) because it just came out. But what else can you really say about it? I gave it a whirl last night, and my expectations for this house went way down. It barely even attempts to scare or create any tension...it's about cramming as much gore as possible into 90 minutes.

Considering we already have Cabin in the Woods right next door (or in the same soundstage? I forget.) what exactly will this bring to the table that makes it worth its own house? We will get largely the same sets in both, except Cabin in the Woods can offer a finale in the underground facility and a wider variety of characters.

I've never really appreciated Universal's need to take a mediocre movie that's come out in the last year and recreate it in play by play format. If the movie wasn't very well received, what's the draw? If there was at least an even mix, they could please the cult following and the people who had seen the more recent version...so isn't this clearly the better route?

Oh well. Guess all we can do is hope for the best.

Thing is the remake was well recieved.... Not only financially, but overall with reviews from critics & the general public. Edited by shark23
  • Like 3

That it was. Even Bruce Campbell and Raimi had input on some levels. I loved it.

I don't know. 62% critics rating on rotten tomatoes. 66% viewer rating there. 6.5/10 on imdb. To an extent, I'm sure I'm letting my personal feelings color my impression of how "successful" it is. But those seem like the reviews of a movie that was just kind of "there" to me. Financially, I think it benefited from the legacy of the earlier movies (which is why these reboots keep being made).

The film also provides only a few truly usable environments, scenes, and characters, which makes it hard for me to see it as a truly successful house.

But I've certainly been wrong about houses before. Maybe this is just the next in line.

In general, horror films aren't popular with the general public or reviewers. However, by horror fans, the movie was well received.

If there was at least an even mix, they could please the cult following and the people who had seen the more recent version...so isn't this clearly the better route?

The aesthetic for the original movies and Evil Dead 2013 are very, very different. Another big issue is that most of the iconic scenes from the original movies are referenced in the 2013 movie. If you saw the original movies, you would have caught those references. There's the chained down cellar, cutting off the arm, chainsaws, the original recording from the first movie,the tree assault, the shotgun, the friends coming back to life to kill the protagonist, a scene where a deadite is buried, boiling water, scenes involving a mirror, and "JOIN US." And those are just the things that can be easily transferred into a maze. The movie is already split into an "even mix" but with a single aesthetic.

Guest kiwisoup

I don't know. 62% critics rating on rotten tomatoes. 66% viewer rating there. 6.5/10 on imdb. To an extent, I'm sure I'm letting my personal feelings color my impression of how "successful" it is. But those seem like the reviews of a movie that was just kind of "there" to me. Financially, I think it benefited from the legacy of the earlier movies (which is why these reboots keep being made).

The film also provides only a few truly usable environments, scenes, and characters, which makes it hard for me to see it as a truly successful house.

But I've certainly been wrong about houses before. Maybe this is just the next in line.

Yeah, I don't think you quite get how horror movies work. They generally don't have mass appeal and 6.5 on iMDB is actually pretty high for a horror movie. Horror movies and gory movies especially don't get well reviewed by the general population but the reboot of Evil Dead was on a whole well received by actual horror fans.

Also, I'm getting kind of tired of people saying that Evil Dead doesn't have enough scenes or locations to do a house...people in Orlando and Hollywood both keep saying that. Really? Because every house has to have countless locations and scenes? Some of the best houses are the most basic in concept and have only one location or one type of character. Gothic last year, anyone? It was well received but had very little variety. But just to list some possible rooms and scenes, because there's usually like 8?:

-Cabin: They've basically already said you will enter the cabin to the book being read by Eric, leading into the woods. He reads it in the bedroom. What follows is some sort of seamless transition to the woods, not sure what effect that will be.

-Woods: There could be the car sticking out of the water with a sign warning about flooding, Mia screaming for help in the "tree rape" scene as a distraction while Evil Mia comes from the other side for the scare.

-Living Room: This could have Mia first becoming possessed with everything blowing about and heavy special effects, it could have also Mia throwing up blood on Olivia,

-Kitchen: This is already confirmed and with a pic. Natalie cutting her arm off. Water spray effect would be a nice touch. I know it would be out of sequence, but Evil Eric only appeared in this room and could be here for the scare while people are distracted by the blood spray.

-Living Room Reprise: Mia taunts from the Cellar, while Natalie attacks with the nail gun. Some kind of effect to simulate the nailgun actually shooting would be awesome.

-Cellar: Could be flooded if they were ambitious, Mia down here of course, perhaps the "tongue" scene would fit in here ;-)

-Dead Cat Room: Dead cats hanging in your face complete with fake smell effects.

-Blood Rain Finale: From pics of Hollywood they had trees painted red, I had already assumed they would paint things red accompanied by light rain effects ala The Forsaken with red lighting to make the water appear to be blood.

-They could also start off with the intro "purification by fire" scene, but not sure they will go that route.

I think that's plenty of material for a decent varied house.

Edited by kiwisoup