HHN 2013: Evil Dead: Book Of The Dead

I'm kind of shocked that you guys are this pissed about the cellar. The tree rape scene and the vomit scene i can understand, but you guys are really this stressed about someones head peaking out of a cellar. Murdy said they couldn't do it anyway, let alone the fact that that's probably extremely uncomfortable for the scareactor.

Idk, if I was a girl, I could probably fit just fine the way it is. Lol.

I'm really skinny...

I can let go 2 out of 3. Doesn't matter which one they fix, although I think tree rape Mia would be the best enhancement as that one looks the most fake.

And the head peaking out of the cellar is the most iconic image from the original AND the remake. Its on the freakin ADVERTISEMENT.

its in the maze too...it needs to be a prop there's just no way they can have a live actor there. If Murdy could, he would have. I agree about the tree rape though.

Yes, artificial ways to make the floor creak do exist. Like a soundtrack. However, you said "Or even better, just elevate only the cabin scenes so the floor beneath could creak." Which would, unlike a sound effect, be a serious hazard to the maze. Which is what you thought was the solution to the problem of elevation. I'm guessing that since you changed the subject to audio design you realize that what you said about having naturally creaking raised floors would be an outrageously horrible idea.

As for elevation, let's talk about the differences between the TWD scene and ED. Lay down. Now, sit up. Notice that sitting up takes up more vertical space than laying down. That's the first difference. The scene in TWD had a lot of fog. That obscures things. That's the second difference. Also, that was a forest scene. In forests, natural elevations of ground can occur and not seem out of place. In a cabin, the floor does not raise and create a mound. When you factor in these three things, hoping to use the same effect to recreate different scenes doesn't make much sense.

No no no my dear friend, lol

I STILL want the elevation just with an actual floor below. Knowing that you've gone higher is psychology enough to make you think there is a basement/cellar beneath your feet, add in to the fact of the soundtrack. I'm literally saying even though the cabin is elevated, it'd still be ON something flat and solid EXCEPT for the spot where our dear cellar Mia will be. Whatever the elevated floor may be on, I don't know, I don't do construction, but these things do exist. Even if i AM saying actual elevation, there is BEYOND strong wood that could do the job or an actual flooring but made up to look like wood. Say, like a pier/boardwalk or the fake wooden floors some people have in their homes that are really just a thin panel of wood.

As for sitting down, feet forward and on your butt, it'd be practically the same thing as the laying down position. All the cabin floor would need is the latch for the scareactor big enough to get in.

And the mound thing... that'd just be stupid. It'd have to be the whole room lol

Now, I do realize this is all "there's a budget" but Murdy often talked about how he wasn't cutting anything in the maze to not water it down. As naive as it may be, I thought budget wasn't going to be a concern as long as it was done right and that was the notion i got from his tweets. Orlando got it done right, and I don't know their budget problems over there or about where it was built, nor do I know much about Hollywood's situation, but i figured the very key elements would be in play and in full effect.

When the log ride at Knotts at least has Mia banging her head on the celler door like crazy and much faster and with Orlando using a real actor, EXCUUUUUUUSE ME if I think Hollywood got the short end of the stick and for being disappointed in what's supposed to be a fun, fan favorite highlight!

IGNORING ALL OF THIS CELLAR STUFF -- I still don't understand the rape tree Mia issue. That one I really do believe needs some explaining. Cellar Mia, I get it. Puking Mia, I get it. Technically they both can be done, BUT I GET IT. Rape tree Mia, I do not understand at all.

Edited by DTH316

One theory (and this is just a theory, I don't *know* anything or have a source) is that Murdy didn't want to have a rape scene with a live actress. Scenes that required nudity in the past (Hostel, Halloween, Saw) didn't have a live actress, so maybe the fact that even though there's no actual nudity in the scene he didn't want to tell somebody to act like they are getting raped for 7 hours. Since the Orlando version of the scene was much more implied and less graphic, maybe this is the case. With the audio track you can hear the slurping and slicking so...maybe that was a bit too far for a live actress at a theme park.

---

On a more positive note, I really liked that Mia's lullaby was hushed during the burial scene. It made me really focus on the audio before the scare. I think it was an interesting angle on the distraction scare.

On another another note, yes straightedge there is a character that pops out and says "you're all going to die tonight." There is an abomination scareactor. There is a water effect during the raining blood scene. Don't expect a 360 degree live experience with special effects you can only experience in person to be captured by watching a single camera night vision video on a six inch video player.

• Like 1

Well the remake version is less of a rape, right? I can't remember, only saw it once on opening night and that scene didn't leave much of an impact on me. But I think its just the way things are going for HHN and leaving things that don't "need to be" actors not actors. Like the hook victim in last year's TCM, a super fake animatronic that really bugged me and took me out of the moment. It just makes me think "what if they did Saw now?" And I just imagine every trap victim just being static.

But then again, I still see the cut in half victims with their guts being pulled out in almost every maze and as much as I love that and it sells the realism, I have to ask if its necessary and wonder if they could've used these people elsewhere to be a new and different type of victim we haven't seen before.

Nah, the remake version is still a rape. It's still forceful vaginal penetration while Mia was visibly resisting and needing to be restrained. The remake version just made it more of a plot point (how the demon entered Mia) but it was just as, if not more, of a rape than the original. So...I could see HHN not wanting that graphic of a rape inside a maze, if that is the case.

The meathook victim in TCM made sense to me, as a meathook makes no sense at all if the victim has feet on the floor. Same with the hanging victim in Hostel. I think some of the cases where living actors were not used (I'm looking at you, seance room!) this year were inexcusable, but some scenes make it kind of impossible to do with a live actor. There still were a lot of live victims this year, in Evil Dead and other mazes.

Edited by ferox

A harness could've worked for the meat hook victim. Wouldn't be comfortable, but hey, they take 30 minute shifts.

This reminds me, and this is the inverse, in The Thing, they used a real person in the autopsy scene. Which is funny to me because I would've sworn it was a dummy. All that person did was literally lie there and breathe. Not come to life and scare, or suddenly shift, or twitch, just lie there. I think maybe they opened up the cavity to reveal themselves, but that wasn't done in a scary way and could've easily been left up to animatronics. Mustve been the most boring scareacting job ever. Id rather be tied up to some fake branches or on a harness screaming - and I hardly think anyone realized they were real either.

Why can't they do it? How come Orlando did? Before they build the cellar and all this for the maze, they really thought a dummy was necessary? They thought it would be better than an actual scare actor. In the video I don't hear "where gonna get you?" "Cut it!" Or other quotes from the film when Mia was in the cellar. Not just that, it seems like there's more that needs to be fixed.

Oh ya the tree rape scene, actually make it an intense tree rape lmfao

And the blood vomiting scene in the maze is kind of cheesy

Orlando's Evil Dead is in a giant soundstage where they can elevate the floor. Ours is in a narrow space behind Revenge of the Mummy... on Studio property.

The Tree Rape Mannequin was supposed to have something going in it from what I heard...

Edited by Zero56

• 4 weeks later...

Went through this on my break.

Big fucking improvement since opening night. A LOT of things and scares have changed.

Biggest con: Two second pop-out trigger scare has a 40 second sound effect. Literally, the scare actor was gone and the lights stopped flashing, but the sounds (Super annoyingly loud, btw) just didn't stop.

Biggest pro: The tongue Mia (in my opinion) finally got it right. I honestly just smiled 'cause that scareactor hit it perfectly. It wasn't just standing still and moving the knife up and down. It was sneaking from behind the staircase, jumping out, moving the knife in the correct fashion (idk how to explain it) AND (the best part) the eyes. The scareactor on set when I went through had the best use of their eyes to actually LOOK evil and possessed. Rolling them back and such. Props to them.

I noticed they changed the vomit effect so that you actually get sprayed from her mouth. That was a nice touch.

Agreed with the improved tongue knife gag. I always liked that scene but this time around it was much better. I also liked the angles in the chainsaw Mia/abomination Mia stand off before the last scene.

Oh yeah, and the "you're all going to die tonight" Mia was great at giving little extra charges at people walking by after she spouts the catchphrase.