Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

I am not gonna make very much speculation because there is no telling what the amazing team of halloween horror nights is conjuring up this time, I am just gonna say what I personally would like to see myself for 2013. I really liked the Idea of bloody mary although she wasnt, in my opinion, used to her full potential. I like the Idea of a more supernatural/horror being like Bloody mary or Fear. All the popular icons are more human serial killers and maniacs like the usher, director, storyteller, jack and the caretaker and I like the supernatural element to the characters of Mary and Fear. I would love to see another Icon like bloody mary that has the supernatural element to it BUT can speak like a human (unlike fear). I think this idea is cool because if you take the Front gate video concept from bloody mary and make it into a LIVE concept with a scareactor on a pedestal like saws n steam or path of the wicked that can taunt guests with a distorted microphone to make them sound demonic. The front gate video and Commercials were probably the most unnerving thing for me personally that they have done at HHN and if they did a LIVE mary type character taunting guests that would probably even freak me out just a bit (I dont get scared easily in all honesty).

My guess is IF they keep with their new traditions and have a Movie Promo House this year the only one I could see is Riddick which might be an interesting house but other than that I really dont see any horror movies from Universal coming out this halloween or at least none announced as of yet. Carrie would be a stretch only because it is produced by Rival Company MGM. I would love to see them Team up with After Dark Films (the production company that puts out after dark horrorfest film festival) because After Dark is a very underrated film company with some awesome ideas. Maybe with the success of using the silent hill franchise, Resident Evil will be next, although with 5 films and not another one slated until 2014 that call may be quite a stretch. I highly doubt they will do anything with classic monsters as we have seen them in recent years with Ripped in 2009, Hallow'd Past in 2010 and just recently House of Horrors in 2012. With the Success of Walking Dead House maybe it would be cool to have either an American Horror Story House or Supernatural but Supernatural is a stretch. I dont even want to guess the original houses because they have had some unique ideas no one would ever even think of in a million years like almost every house from 21 (the in between, the forsaken, nightingales, etc).

I personally didnt like roaming hoards with universal only because a big portion of scarezones in the past were based around sets and the Gravestones and mausoleums, although pretty cool, got old rather quick with very little variety. I love the scarezone sets in the passed and would greatly like to see the zones return just for the simple fact of sets and the guarantee you will see every hoard. maybe a little of both like the iniquitus or a "Nomad" type hoard but then some set scarezones as well.

Like i said these are all opinions and what I would personally like to see. I would really like to see all original material this year, perhaps one single house based off something else but since we have seen a lot of "based off of....", sequels and rehashes since sweet 16, 28 out of 54 total houses since sweet 16 which is more than half of the total houses in the last 7 years, it would be really nice to see an all original year.

If we are going to keep getting the crappy "street Experiences" then the least they could do is maybe do some kind of parade for HHN. That's one thing I didn't like about last year.

It makes me wonder, Would running two parades a day be too much? would that be impossible to do?

They would be doing the day time parade, but what if they added another at night?

It would have to be EITHER Parade OR Show in beetlejuice and I dont think they want to sacrifice that venue again. if a show is in beetlejuice, the queue for the house in disaster winds down the street through the parade gate OR with a parade the queue will have to wind through Beetlejuice as you can compare with 21 with Death Drums and 22 with 20 Penny. And no, 2 parades a day wouldnt be IMPOSSIBLE....Improbable maybe. think of it this way, they did Superstar in afternoons and Mardi Gras at night I believe, didnt they? I think the main concern would be A. the beetlejuice/Disaster house traffic jam, and B. the Sets for street experiences because even with roaming hoards like this past year. you see Gravestone and Masouleum props in the middle of the parade route. You bring up a good point with "Crappy Street experiences" that was my complaint for this past year also, I want the zones back so sets can be built up, the sets were half the experience of the scarezone! I dont think roaming hoards got a lot of positive feedback because everyone I have talked to hated it so maybe HHN will scrap the Roaming Hoard Idea...only time will tell!

It's pretty much impossible to have a full scarezone along a parade route even if it's a daytime parade. That year didn't have any scarezones in New York or Hollywood BLVD since it was a two park event.

I think the scarezones have been nixed because of the Superstar Parade. Full blown scarezones requires sets and props that need to be left out during the day and those would block daytime guests trying to view the parade.

Basically they assume we'd rather have a scarezone in NY and Hollywood instead of a parade.

Here is my Idea, Have scarezones in kidzone, where canyon of dark souls was, A carnival type one in front of simpsons, something in front of MIB, where grown evil was and then the NY Alley (where Your Luck has run out was), and in front of disaster. You could also do one on hollywood Blvd and NY but the sets would have to be more on the sides of the street maybe like acid assualt utilizing projections? That gives areas 7 scarezones that would def not conflict with daytime parade routes and 1 that sets could be minimalized. I understand MIB is a highly Congested area but when I was there last year in front of Simpsons was only moderately congested and the canyon of dark souls worked well. I think it would be cool to have even 1 big scarezone from where grown evil was through the kidzone courtyard all the way to the end of simpsons. Just one massive scarezone with lots of scareactors. It would might make it a little more unnerving because for me alot of scarezones in the passed you walked in and out of and it took 15 seconds, this way if it covers one side of the park it would take you at least 10 minutes to walk through it.

Well, there IS a Carrie remake coming out in October....

Carrie was already used last year at Knott's Halloween Haunt as a promotion for this year's remake. Since it's being released by Sony, I doubt it'll end up at HHN. Sony seems to exclusively use license their movies to Knott's (Evil Dead, The Grudge, The Stepfather)

If they do a parade they would have to hire A LOT of SA for it and I just dont see UO doing that.. Plus with today's crowds you cant do a parade.. Closes we got was Death Drums

That's ashame cause the parade from 2004 was awesome to me with the caretaker at the back of the last float and the Mardi Gras style with beads and coins they gave out.. my wife and I enjoyed it

Christine -> Christine Daaé -> Phantom of the Opera.

Could tie in quite nicely with the speculated 100 Years of Horror.

Or...

Christine -> Novel by Stephen King about an evil car

Dunno how that would make a house. I'd be too busy being reminded of the one Monty Python cartoon about killer cars.

I highly doubt they will do anything with classic monsters as we have seen them in recent years with Ripped in 2009, Hallow'd Past in 2010 and just recently House of Horrors in 2012. With the Success of Walking Dead House maybe it would be cool to have either an American Horror Story House or Supernatural but Supernatural is a stretch.

It's actually a pretty safe bet this year to say we'll have some sort of classic monsters theme or house, or at least scare zone, if only for the sheer fact that it's their 100 anniversary year. Seems people keep forgetting that, but it's true and very important to point out...universal (and most other entertainment companies) LOOOOVE celebrating anniversaries and birthdays when it comes to their own companies. And 100 years of horror films is extremely important and relevant to HHN. It's inevitable, in my opinion.

Walking Dead was successful because of one thing: fan base. It brought a HUGE surge of new HHN-goers just for that house. That's money right in universal's pocket...and they're not going to want to back away from that, no matter what. AHS, Supernatural, and really any other cult horror series out right now doesn't match up to TWD in terms of sheer numbers of fans. This is partially why I feel the AMC relationship Universal cultivated last year will be used again for another Walking Dead house, OR use their own IP material from A&E (and from history)....and go with Bates Motel (Psycho).

....my first name is Christine O_O

Edited by justchristy
  • Like 1

Christine:

as in The New Adventures of Old Christine... The main character was played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who was also the voice for a character on the Simpsons...which means... Treehouse of Horror

There is also a newscaster on the show True Blood named Christine Van Heusen... True Blood house?

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 1

Christine as in the Stephen King novel and movie about the killer car and the man who loves it? (More common than you'd think...) I know that you people said Stephen King isn't coming, but I might as well get the guess out of the way and go with something Stephen King related.

• Like 1

It's actually a pretty safe bet this year to say we'll have some sort of classic monsters theme or house, or at least scare zone, if only for the sheer fact that it's their 100 anniversary year. Seems people keep forgetting that, but it's true and very important to point out...universal (and most other entertainment companies) LOOOOVE celebrating anniversaries and birthdays when it comes to their own companies. And 100 years of horror films is extremely important and relevant to HHN. It's inevitable, in my opinion.

I would honestly question the inevitability of that...

EDIT - To explain...

If the rumors from Jimmy, Rumors (Chris), and the Ifrit are true (thus far), the closest thing to a "100 Years of Horror" house celebrating Universal IPs would be American Werewolf in London. That really isn't 100 Years of Horror or classic monsters at all. It's a movie from the 80's.

We're seeing rumors of TWD returning (not Universal), Cabin in the Woods (not Universal), American Horror Story (not Universal), La Llorona (not a classic monster or based on a movie), Havoc (not a classic monster or based on a movie), maybe Resident Evil (per Chris's post; not Universal) and I would hope an eighth house that (for the love of god) had better be fully original.

So, what about a scarezone?

Well, Horror Unearthed was a massive success last year and it's looking like Legendary Truth is ramping back up, which means non-IP scarezones/street experiences will be required (in some capacity) to continue the story/game. That means the same hordes are returning or new creatures that tie directly into the lineages are created. Maybe the classic monsters could be tied into the Lineages somehow, (although I don't know how the Morphans or Zombies could get one), but would Universal really be willing to do that? I doubt it.

So... as easy as the 100 Years of Horror would be to market, I really doubt it would happen.

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 1

Christine:

as in The New Adventures of Old Christine... The main character was played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who was also the voice for a character on the Simpsons...which means... Treehouse of Horror

There is also a newscaster on the show True Blood named Christine Van Heusen... True Blood house?

I might be the only one on this board that has never seen 1 minute of True Blood.... isnt it kinda "Twilighty"? Or am I thinking of something else altogether?

I might be the only one on this board that has never seen 1 minute of True Blood.... isnt it kinda "Twilighty"? Or am I thinking of something else altogether?

It's nothing like Twilight. It's actually extremely gory and has more scenes and creatures that would work well in a haunt than TWD and many horror movies.

EDIT TO ADD - It's actually one of the few franchises I would legitimately be stoked to see brought to life. No IP rumored or done, in my mind, has the ability to be as creative and unique as a True Blood house would in my mind.

And I hate vampires.

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 3

It's nothing like Twilight. It's actually extremely gory and has more scenes and creatures that would work well in a haunt than TWD and many horror movies.

I've been wanting a True Blood house for years. Season 2 would make a great house with the Maenad and her brainwashed followers as well as the Fellowship of the Sun. Also as weird as season 5 was, the Authority's headquarters and the whole Lillith arc could make a sweet house.

• Like 2

I've been wanting a True Blood house for years. Season 2 would make a great house with the Maenad and her brainwashed followers as well as the Fellowship of the Sun. Also as weird as season 5 was, the Authority's headquarters and the whole Lillith arc could make a sweet house.

Done correctly (this year), it would be a best-of. It would start entering Merlott's (facade), out the back to the Maenad's orgy festival, into the Stackhouse living room and through the kitchen, past some were-panthers/the junk-yard, Fellowship of the Sun, Lafayette's trailer (with Demon-head Jesus), Fangtasia, the Witch's store, the Barn the werewolf pack hangs in, and a couple of scenes in the Authority's HQ.

And what pisses me off is that there are still a ton of scenes and creatures that are ignored with that (like the Fae).

Edited by Legacy

All I know is that I look forward to the start of speculation season lol I was born in Florida but moved when I was young and my vacation every year is to Florida and HHN and if I'm spending thousands of dollars to goto HHN I DO NOT WANT roaming "Hordes" or lack of.. I enjoy the SZ the only thing I enjoyed about the roaming hordes was I was coming out of TWD and there was so many people and it was elbow to elbow and I'm behind this guy I look over too my wife and say dam this guy is walking slow as hell I finally get next to him and it was a zombie my wife laughed her butt off so I walked behind a zombie for a few minutes not knowing lol

Christine- Christine

Surname (Her name)- Carrie

Balloons- It

Something here has to do with Stephen King <_<

Whoa..... In Dr. Jimmy's most recent video, he talks about Nazi Zombies, and after research, a German tanker was the SS Christine

I know that his cryptic comments are a bit on the nose, but saying that Christine represents Christine is just silly. Especially since it also requires Balloons to stand for It.

The character "Christine" in the Bad Seed was played by Blair Brown. Here's a few off the cuff speculations from there...

Blair could = Linda Blair.

Blair was also in a movie called "Loverboy" directed by Kevin Bacon. Not sure what to make of that, but it could be something.

The plot of Bad Seed could be seen as a mirror image of La Llorona?

The plot reminds me a lot of The Omen...

Blair was also in that show Fringe, which could relate to Legendary Truth.

The character "Christine" in the Bad Seed was played by Blair Brown. Here's a few off the cuff speculations from there...

Blair could = Linda Blair.

Blair was also in a movie called "Loverboy" directed by Kevin Bacon. Not sure what to make of that, but it could be something.

The plot of Bad Seed could be seen as a mirror image of La Llorona?

The plot reminds me a lot of The Omen...

Blair was also in that show Fringe, which could relate to Legendary Truth.

*cough* Blair Witch Project *cough*

• Like 1