Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

What theme is that? My expectation is that the "theme" will be similar to last year.

The theme of "Hi, welcome to Halloween Horror Nights. We have haunted houses. Some of our houses are based on movies you love. You love these movies, right?...Right?!...RIGHT?!"

I guess if that is the theme, "Cabin in the Woods" would work as it seems to cover every horror movie possible.

Or maybe the house is a representation of the meta-theme that they can drop any property into the park and just have it work without any real tie other than we are at the same place (much like the cabin could have any monster depending on which item you picked). Beyond that, I have no idea.

Edited by Cooger and Dark

What theme is that? My expectation is that the "theme" will be similar to last year.

Yeah, I've been debating that as well.

It's fixin' to be another IP dominated year, so theme-wise, will it be like last year? Will an IP be the theme, like how The Walking Dead was? Theme? *scoffs* theme, my ass.

Or maybe we will get something coherent and not just a bunch of random houses like last year. Though with so many possibilities for IPs, and so many varying worlds and ideas, I feel that would be pretty hard. It wouldn't be impossible, but is it likely? I am unsure. A coherent theme would show a lot of effort and maybe more originality, depending on what they do, could do, or are alloud to do with it.

Though, if they're going to "follow the money," as Penn would say, a popular IP as a theme would bring in the bucks.

Edited by TsunamiFox

a bunch of random houses has never been an issue for the first several years of the event, and 23 years later... I don't see it being an issue. They can still have a theme without the houses being tied directly into it. Honestly, you can only do so many "Carnival of Carnages" & "Universal Palace Theaters" (the two years where IP's were dominate & tied directly into the theme) before the idea grows stale.

Last year's theme wasn't TWD... that was marketing's "let me shove this down your throat & make you choke on it" way of selling the event (or the show.. still not sure which was really being marketed).. The theme of the event last year was "Horror Unearthed" with The Iniquitus & their Dark Legions... Unfortunately, as we all saw, marketing only wanted to promote one thing.. SH & AC were more of an "after thought" and then P&T didnt get any recognition at all...

random houses are fine, but whatever the event's actual theme is... hopefully it wont get overshadowed by the IP's (or just one IP like TWD last year)... if there is an icon, hopefully the icon wont be pushed aside like The Usher was in 2009..

• Like 1

It's waaaaaaaaay too early for me to be visiting this site already....but I have no willpower, what can I say?

Regarding the speculation so far, I would LOVE a Cabin in the Woods INSPIRED house. Not a retelling of the movie in any way, shape, or form...but a house that....

Would have each room of the house be related to ONE of the possible monsters. A room with a Merman prostetic on the floor flopping around with a dead guy and a blood geyser. A room with the creepy mask people. A room with the clown. Etc.

It would be an homage to Cabin in the Woods, but allow A&D the creative freedom do whatever the hell they wanted with each room with nothing but the character to be true to the movie (ok, so one of my examples related DIRECTLY to the movie). It would be a popular IP by name, but also an original house. The best of both worlds. The cue video of parts of the movie would be awesome to see the characters in the movie...then see the HHN take on them.

• Like 1

Judging by the years they are making visual reference to, there's the mythology aspect. Manifestations of fear. Unleashed evil.

Truman: They're like something from a nightmare.

Lin: No, they're something nightmares are from. Everything in our stable is from another world. Courtesy of, you know who.

Truman: Monsters, magic, Gods.

It's waaaaaaaaay too early for me to be visiting this site already....but I have no willpower, what can I say?

Regarding the speculation so far, I would LOVE a Cabin in the Woods INSPIRED house. Not a retelling of the movie in any way, shape, or form...but a house that....

Would have each room of the house be related to ONE of the possible monsters. A room with a Merman prostetic on the floor flopping around with a dead guy and a blood geyser. A room with the creepy mask people. A room with the clown. Etc.

It would be an homage to Cabin in the Woods, but allow A&D the creative freedom do whatever the hell they wanted with each room with nothing but the character to be true to the movie (ok, so one of my examples related DIRECTLY to the movie). It would be a popular IP by name, but also an original house. The best of both worlds. The cue video of parts of the movie would be awesome to see the characters in the movie...then see the HHN take on them.

I would love to see a Cabin in the woods house, IF they did it right,

but the problem with Cabin in the woods is that

Is that they would probably base more than half the house on the cabin, the woods and the The Buckner Family.

I could see them leaving the last 3 rooms of the house based on the rooms with all the monsters we see at the end. Basically making the house a zombie type house.

They wouldn't have to worry about elaborate costumes or props or anything like that. Which would suck.

Edited by LV-426

It should be a mermaid instead of a merman since mermaids are consider the deadliest in myths.

I think it'll be a homage to the genre of the cabin in the woods, not exactly an adaptation of the movie. Cabin in the Woods was a pretty great movie but wouldn't be very well suited to be adapted into a haunted house. Evil Dead was released by Sony and they seem to only exclusively do IP deals with Knott's Halloween Haunt.

The Cabin In The Woods house idea is epic on its own, but I think we're also forgetting a potentially large part of (hopefully) theming and/or marketing this year (if universal is paying attention at all): the 100th anniversary of universal horror. This, on its own, gives A&D the best excuse EVER to bring in every type of horror-related entity created by universal...which also coincides quite nicely with the storyline of Cabin In The Woods, obviously. I am personally just praying to Odin that corporate allows A&D to use the 100 years of horror as the event theme, and then market anything that's an IP under that umbrella.

• Like 3

It should be a mermaid instead of a merman since mermaids are consider the deadliest in myths.

Merman is a direct and memorable reference from CITW. Replacing it with a mermaid would be a disappointment to people familiar with the film.

Not knocking how badass mermaids are, don't get me wrong.

• Like 2

Merman is a direct and memorable reference from CITW. Replacing it with a mermaid would be a disappointment to people familiar with the film.

Not knocking how badass mermaids are, don't get me wrong.

what would really be badass is if the Merman was Ethel Merman like that scene in Airplane!

• Like 3

The Cabin In The Woods house idea is epic on its own, but I think we're also forgetting a potentially large part of (hopefully) theming and/or marketing this year (if universal is paying attention at all): the 100th anniversary of universal horror. This, on its own, gives A&D the best excuse EVER to bring in every type of horror-related entity created by universal...which also coincides quite nicely with the storyline of Cabin In The Woods, obviously. I am personally just praying to Odin that corporate allows A&D to use the 100 years of horror as the event theme, and then market anything that's an IP under that umbrella.

It would be the biggest missed opportunity to not use '100 years of horror'. I mean they will not come up with anything more marketable than that slogan. Its too cool.

And being a classics nut I support that idea 100000000000000000000000000000000000000%.

• Like 3

The Six Degrees concept (based on the tv show) is when a person has a connection with someone or something based on six or fewer relationships. My guess is that we obviously have to find a connection that these movies have in some way with each other. The only movies I can name are Holes, Beyond All Boundaries, and Superman. I can't name the bottom middle one though.

Yayyyy it's the Kevin Bacon game!

So this is the connection:

Margot Kidder was in Superman III. She was also in A Single Woman with Patricia Arquette.

Patricia Arquette was also in Holes with Sigourney Weaver.

Sigourney Weaver was also in The Village with Jessie Eisenberg.

Jessie Eisenberg was in Beyond All Boundaries with Kevin Bacon. YAAAAYYY.

....so what does it all mean? This could be an ultimate reference to RIPD, which is starring Kevin Bacon and coming out this year, or a reference to The Following. The Following focuses on a serial killer whose cult is centered around the works of Edgar Allen Poe. Poe house again? I wouldn't mind...but idk if that's the direction they're necessarily going in. I'm leaning towards an RIPD house, which would be the sort-of-comedy house for the event.

I know Uni can make just about damn near anything scary, but I really hope we don't get an RIPD house. It's just too MIB-ish for me, which is fine from a cinema perspective, but would be out of place as an HHN maze imo. Despite its subject matter, it seems like more of a buddy-action flick than a spooky, creepy film.

We did have a house based on Fear Factor though, so I guess anything is possible...

Edited by madmonk

Why was a word deleted from the Ifrit's riddle?

"Six degrees are all I need to ensure that your minds Bake."

"On to the next and we will see if you have what it <deleted>."

Well it appears the word "takes" would fit in place.

It was probably "deleted" as part of the clue; in an effort to be more cryptic.

So "takes" was deleted. I'm not sure what to draw from that.