Popularity and greed ruining HHN (and other events)?

Last year, I was a big supporter of a lot of the anti-IP points being made here. But I'll tell you, my favorite house without question was House of Horrors. Why? Because it took a simple concept, through in a bunch of atmosphere, gave it a twist, and used a stellar cast. The first time through, the Dracula in the hallway even got me. And I can usually see scare actors coming a mile away. It left me a new appreciation for IP's.

Yeah but.. They are Universals IP's LOL. So basically originals. they own them, they have the freedom to do what they want with them.

I totally get what you're saying, but I wouldn't call the Monsters originals. Alice Cooper and P&T were more original houses than they were, and they're all considered IP's. But my larger point it, just because it's IP, it doesn't automatically mean it'll suck. And vice versa for originals. So to say that an event is ruined because they're going IP heavy is a fairly black and white statement.

• Like 2

I totally get what you're saying, but I wouldn't call the Monsters originals. Alice Cooper and P&T were more original houses than they were, and they're all considered IP's. But my larger point it, just because it's IP, it doesn't automatically mean it'll suck. And vice versa for originals. So to say that an event is ruined because they're going IP heavy is a fairly black and white statement.

Oh I agree I guess few remember the amount of IP's in '07 . Dead silence, NOS, Leather Face, Friday the 13th, The thing...

I liked them all (except I didn't get to see Friday the 13th). It isn't a matter of IPs automatically sucking, its the lack of freedom that A&D has to make what they want.

Hands down last year Dead End and Gothic were my favorite houses. they were amazing. P&T would have been better without P&T, I hated AC, Walking dead was meh, and Silent hill was one of the biggest lets down I've ever had. Now I understand all the constaints last year. I know they were rushed So I'm still hopeful for this year. the house line up doesn't sound bad. In fact the house I am most iffy about is the prison house.

I'm sorry but last year was a major lackluster for me. The best houses were the original ones, aka Gothic, Dead End, and House of Horrors. Yes, HoH is an "IP" but it is also Universal's like JDW said, and they had full creative freedom with it. I personally just prefer creativity. I'm not saying every house that is original is amazing, but it certainly gives more opportunity to be amazing. When you have an IP, there are things you just simply can't do because of the constraints you get with them.

Also it isn't just about the houses. When was the last time we had a kick ass icon and icon house? RoF was a huge let down, Silver Screams was good but I don't know if you can consider that an icon house since I don't really think The Usher was a true icon when compared to others. My whole point of this thread is, when you compare current horror nights to horror nights of the past, like 15 and down, the vibe, the houses, and the scare zones all feel and are very different than what we are getting now. To me I look back and see them saying "come here and the shit scared out of you" and now I see "come here and walk into the sets and scenes of your favorite movies and video games! oh and maybe get a little scared too..."

I'm sorry but last year was a major lackluster for me. The best houses were the original ones, aka Gothic, Dead End, and House of Horrors. Yes, HoH is an "IP" but it is also Universal's like JDW said, and they had full creative freedom with it. I personally just prefer creativity. I'm not saying every house that is original is amazing, but it certainly gives more opportunity to be amazing. When you have an IP, there are things you just simply can't do because of the constraints you get with them.

Also it isn't just about the houses. When was the last time we had a kick ass icon and icon house? RoF was a huge let down, Silver Screams was good but I don't know if you can consider that an icon house since I don't really think The Usher was a true icon when compared to others. My whole point of this thread is, when you compare current horror nights to horror nights of the past, like 15 and down, the vibe, the houses, and the scare zones all feel and are very different than what we are getting now. To me I look back and see them saying "come here and the shit scared out of you" and now I see "come here and walk into the sets and scenes of your favorite movies and video games! oh and maybe get a little scared too..."

Im not here to argue but, you dont need an icon for the event to be good.

• Like 1

Also it isn't just about the houses. When was the last time we had a kick ass icon and icon house?

Heh...

Kick-ass Icon AND House? I assume Silver Scream and DIE-In don't count because they were just IP overlays. RoF is considered a massive failure. Maximum Madness featured a returning Icon AND location.

So... The last truly original kick-ass icon WITH kick-ass house? Caretaker, Screamhouse, 2002.

So... Over a decade, which is something a majority of posters here didn't experience...

• Like 1

Oh I agree I guess few remember the amount of IP's in '07 . Dead silence, NOS, Leather Face, Friday the 13th, The thing...

I liked them all (except I didn't get to see Friday the 13th). It isn't a matter of IPs automatically sucking, its the lack of freedom that A&D has to make what they want.

Hands down last year Dead End and Gothic were my favorite houses. they were amazing. P&T would have been better without P&T, I hated AC, Walking dead was meh, and Silent hill was one of the biggest lets down I've ever had. Now I understand all the constaints last year. I know they were rushed So I'm still hopeful for this year. the house line up doesn't sound bad. In fact the house I am most iffy about is the prison house.

I guess the biggest problem is that they were rushed, not even that they were IPs.

I already said this, but you can see how much better the houses were last year for Hollywood. They did a pretty good job with WD and Silent Hill. (Better than our houses anyways)

I guess the best thing to hope for is that they don't get rushed and that houses don't get canceled last minute.

• Like 4

Without the top notch, unparalleled talent.

<climbs off soapbox>

lol of course..

I meant the sets (uni does amazing sets, most of the time) and some of the costumes, Specially since he mentioned the "slipknot mask" but Uni uses Halloween masks that don't look that great sometimes.

I mean, everyone made fun of Lady luck because of their masks LOL.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 1

Without the top notch, unparalleled talent.

<climbs off soapbox>

Honestly, Orlando lucks into that because of how many actors, dancers and performers use HHN to get their foot in the door. I think the split between people who legit care and people who are happy to push a button is 60/40.

Universal sure doesn't do anything to ensure quality performances.

• Like 1

the "button pushing noise or strobe light effects " are used in Orlando too?

hmmm interesting.

that seems to be the " new wave" of idea's for things for Hollywood since 2009. I don't really recall them being used heavily in 07&08.

but I know 1 thing the price's for things are going up& up. with actors getting less & less in both mazes and scare zones.

how about thing's in Orlando?

• Like 1

Dude, it's a special effect. Mazes have those. All of the special effects used in 07/08 were at one point new and different. Not everything needs to stay stagnant because some people can't handle new things. If you need to go to a haunt without those craaaazy lighting effects, I'm sure you can find one. But it isn't going to be HHN.

Nobody is forcing you to go, and certainly nobody is forcing you to comment here.

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

I'm not gonna argue with you or anyone. if you wanna call the Calvary over to start whining and starting crap that's on you.

idk why a lot of people can't accept direct criticism.

oh well that's life.

grow up.

Nobodys arguing. The fact that youre freaking out over criticism, makes me think youre the one who cant handle it.

Edited by Dr. D
  • Like 2

whatever is there is there.

I only asked that if Orlando used the noise and light effects like hollywood does because I never been to the event there.

how one gets hostile over that is beyond me.

its like saying some people like the packers. new England patriots. etc. if you don't like the team or whatever you or may not follow. doesn't give someone the right to automatically start crap with someone.

whatever is there is there.

I only asked that if Orlando used the noise and light effects like hollywood does because I never been to the event there.

To answer your question; yes, Orlando uses e-proms (triggers) in the event. They've been using them for over a decade, and are now 90% of the scares.

I've read this over and over trying to see why you freaked out Ferox... I don't get it. in_dark_corners was simply saying he didn't notice the use of Eprom switches in Hollywood prior to 2009 and wondered if they have been used in Orlando.

They have used them a while. I noticed them heavily used for the first time in 2007's NOES. But even in "The Art of scare" they were shown to be used and that was 2002. In 2010 they featured guest initiated ones. EPROMS are used in many many haunts and have been for a long time it makes it a lot easier to have sounds, air blasts, special effects, distract scares, etc. Its really hard to scream at the top of your lungs 82 times an hour. Plus they are a great way to initiate scares tailored to the timing in the room rather than something on a loop.

What Legacy is saying in regards to "pushing the button" Is scareactors who would rather just stand there, press a button, and let the effect do the work. EPROMS are just a tool that can be used right or wrong.

• Like 10

The Calvary? I know this is America, but if you say things people are going to respond. That's how conversation works. Everyone has criticisms of HHN, and that's fine. But if you feel that strongly about how HHN let you down, there are better uses of your energy than discussing HHN on a HHN forum. Or like Legacy said, if you don't like it that much, don't go.

Onto something else...yeah HHN has some pretty lackluster masks at times. Especially Lady Luck.

Edited by ferox