Halloween Horror Nights 23 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

Hello all! I've been lurking around the site for the past few years and haven't really posted anything aside from my lone review of last years event but here I am to throw my two cents in.

I've always thought it would really awesome to see some sort of "headless horseman" type house at the event. I'm not really sure if this has ever been done before in any capacity but just the idea of the story is unsettling enough for me (And I stil watch Disney's cartoon version every October...) There's a whole haunt somewhere up north centered around a horseman themed hay ride. I feel like its something HHN could pull off, I'd love to see that or any sort of urban legends concept thats been discussed before.

• Like 2

I've always thought it would really awesome to see some sort of "headless horseman" type house at the event. I'm not really sure if this has ever been done before in any capacity. I feel like its something HHN could pull off, I'd love to see that or any sort of urban legends concept thats been discussed before.

Yep... HHN 2008 featured a Headless Horseman scene in "The Hallow"... you crossed 'the bridge' which had hanging severed heads & at the end of the bridge you encountered the Headless Horseman himself.

He also made an appearance in 2008's scarezone "American Gothic"... Other urban legend characters & stories were featured during that year's event as well.

I really hope the Harry Potter expansion is used for the event this year it would add a great backdrop!

Here's a picture from twitter of what it will look like. This is just a depiction, not official.

http://twitter.com/CaptMichael87/status/323979475916300290/photo/1

The facades in the rendering could very well be finished by then, considering that most of the steel is up now and there is even roofing on one of the structures. I still don't see them moving the construction walls back and exposing them like they did with the Simpsons for HHN because the rest of the actual land itself won't be as close to being finished.

^yea but Pat... they could still have the area blocked off with construction walls... and honestly, the walls could remain up without completely exposing those facades... while still allowing there to be more pathway for crowd flow. Personally I'd like to see the facades done & walls removed (with the exception of entrances into the area remaining obviously) in time for Macys... it'd be great to see them decorated for the holidays (but that wont happen seeing as the rest of the park outside of NY is anti-xmas... yay budget cuts/tight-wad execs)

It figures I would miss the headless horseman in 2008 by one year...regardless I love the more traditional concepts related to Halloween. Not that I don't appreciate the more "out there," things HHN has to offer but the traditional haunt type things like last years Dead End really stand out to me and I'd love to see something in that vein return this year.

I would also love to see Catacombs make a triumphant return as many have mentioned before seeing as how it was one of my top houses I've experienced ever. One day.... one day....

• Like 1

It figures I would miss the headless horseman in 2008 by one year...regardless I love the more traditional concepts related to Halloween. Not that I don't appreciate the more "out there," things HHN has to offer but the traditional haunt type things like last years Dead End really stand out to me and I'd love to see something in that vein return this year.

I would also love to see Catacombs make a triumphant return as many have mentioned before seeing as how it was one of my top houses I've experienced ever. One day.... one day....

I like your tastes for Traditional Halloween. :)

Bethesda (Fallout 3, etc) just released a new trailer for a survival horror game coming out in 2014.

It's a live action trailer that looks like it was shot in an HHN maze so I definitely see house potential there. Also, the characters look pretty interesting (if not a little like the characters from 13 ghosts and/or Silent Hill). If the game proves to be successful, it might make for a pretty good maze for a future HHN.

Take a peek: http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3229293/the-evil-within-trailer-revealed-coming-in-2014/

*You may have to sit through a terrible Dog the Bounty Hunter ad before the video starts...

I've personally been somewhat disappointed with the direction HHN has gone.. I feel like the last year we had a a strong icon was The Director or maybe Terra Queen? After that it's been downhill in my opinion. I enjoy the event but it's simply not what it used to be for me. What happened to the originality? The Caretaker, Director, Terra Queen, Jack... Great icons that people loved to see and they weren't already popular or known. I feel like they've been playing it safe these past few years. I don't mind IPs but I want some classic HHN back. I want an icon that can be a little more than the face of the event with a kick ass sound stage house, and I want sets back on the streets, I want midnight syndicate playing at the gates, I want more originality. Islands of Fear is the perfect example of what I want HHN to go back to. Or HHN X, or even Tales of Terror. I'd rather have an attempt at originality than something unoriginal and it still sucking.

I also think it's time to give the studios a break. I think going back to Islands or maybe splitting it between the too is something they should start considering if they haven't already. But, overall, I think a strong character for an Icon is where they should start. Strong Icon + Strong Icon House would be great. I think we need an icon with a personality, because Jack, The Caretaker, The Directer, etc. All had different personalities. Bloody Mary didn't have anything when it came to what the general public saw. Without a personality you're just a face and that's what we've gotten these past few years. Also, bring in the butcher. I want some more gore.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've personally been somewhat disappointed with the direction HHN has gone.. I feel like the last year we had a a strong icon was The Director or maybe Terra Queen? After that it's been downhill in my opinion. I enjoy the event but it's simply not what it used to be for me. What happened to the originality? The Caretaker, Director, Terra Queen, Jack... Great icons that people loved to see and they weren't already popular or known. I feel like they've been playing it safe these past few years. I don't mind IPs but I want some classic HHN back. I want an icon that can be a little more than the face of the event with a kick ass sound stage house, and I want sets back on the streets, I want midnight syndicate playing at the gates, I want more originality. Islands of Fear is the perfect example of what I want HHN to go back to. Or HHN X, or even Tales of Terror. I'd rather have an attempt at originality than something unoriginal and it still sucking.

I also think it's time to give the studios a break. I think going back to Islands or maybe splitting it between the too is something they should start considering if they haven't already. But, overall, I think a strong character for an Icon is where they should start. Strong Icon + Strong Icon House would be great. I think we need an icon with a personality, because Jack, The Caretaker, The Directer, etc. All had different personalities. Bloody Mary didn't have anything when it came to what the general public saw. Without a personality you're just a face and that's what we've gotten these past few years. Also, bring in the butcher. I want some more gore.

agreed. All the HHN snobs like to say "we dont NEED an icon".... well shit we dont NEED a lot of things. But the fact is its more fun WITH an icon. I think now that comcast is involved we are gonna start getting more and more generic and both coasts are gonna be the same.

• Like 1

I want a Phantom of The Paradise tribute show............we had a Rocky Horror tribute give the Phantom a chance!

This. A million times this.

Realistically, though, it has no where near the fanbase that RHPS or even Repo which is newer have.

On the musical show front, if not RHPS Tribute, I think Evil Dead the Musical would be an awesome addition to the event. Mind you they probably couldn't do the splatter zone, but there's really no huge budget required to pull it off.

First of all...man it feels great to be back....secondly, although I didn't attend last year I think IF they should do a house based on an artist/band they should give Lordi, Iron Maiden, or Gwar a try...I know I know, kinda cheesy....but come on, THEY ARE MONSTERS!! Just a thought...NOW I think if they do a Icon go all out...VOODOO, cnt go wrong with a Priest/Priestess. As far as houses...I'd love to see a Resident Evil House (Not based on the movies)...I would love a Candyman House to give me nightmares...Creature from the Black Lagoon could be awesome...a Hellraiser house would creep me out..they should try an Undertaker/Kane house (I know, crazy...but if done correctly...it could kick tail!)

• Like 1

I hope we get a Motley Crue house somewhere in the near future or even at this event. I have this whole idea running around in my head. "Motley Crue's Carnival of Sins" and this ringmaster is none other than Dr.Feelgood himself. That seems like an awesome idea for a house.

• Like 2

I was gunna say Kiss bcuz I think Psycho Circus would kick arse, but Gene and Paul are too full of themelves (more Gene than Paul)....no disrespect....bcuz I'm a huge fan, my living room is Kiss decor and I had a dog named Deuce...but they wouldn't unless they got some obscene amount of cash....

Metallica has a TON of material that could translate into a house... and would have the cheese factor as some other bands.

The 4 Hoursemen

Call of Ctulu

The Thing That Should Not Be

One

Battery

Harvester of Sorrow

just to name a few... THAT musician house would sell tickets.

• Like 1

Metallica has a TON of material that could translate into a house... and would have the cheese factor as some other bands.

The 4 Hoursemen

Call of Ctulu

The Thing That Should Not Be

One

Battery

Harvester of Sorrow

just to name a few... THAT musician house would sell tickets.

THAT musician house would also (St.) anger metalheads and HHN fans even further.

Metal-heads: "First the black album, a documentry movie, and now a maze at HHN!?" Metallica REALLY sold out".

HHN fans: "First Penn and Teller, Alice Cooper, the movies houses, and now a METALLICA house....something that barely relates to horror? HHN REALLY sold out!"

It would be weird, but that didn't stop Hollywood from doing a Dubstep house. Being a metal fan, I have to admit that would get me out there, though.

• Like 5

This. A million times this.

Realistically, though, it has no where near the fanbase that RHPS or even Repo which is newer have.

On the musical show front, if not RHPS Tribute, I think Evil Dead the Musical would be an awesome addition to the event. Mind you they probably couldn't do the splatter zone, but there's really no huge budget required to pull it off.

not to mention, it would totally fit with the apparent theme this year

THAT musician house would also (St.) anger metalheads and HHN fans even further.

Metal-heads: "First the black album, a documentry movie, and now a maze at HHN!?" Metallica REALLY sold out".

HHN fans: "First Penn and Teller, Alice Cooper, the movies houses, and now a METALLICA house....something that barely relates to horror? HHN REALLY sold out!"

It would be weird, but that didn't stop Hollywood from doing a Dubstep house. Being a metal fan, I have to admit that would get me out there, though.

As if the "real" Metallica fans need something else to bitch about right?! LOL Remember when they cut their hair? It was like the end of days!!! haha!

• Like 2